• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

exarkun

Yeezy's album covers are pretty tame compared to some of the best ones shown here.

The Blu cover reminded me: I listened to Blu's stuff after below the heavens (never kept up with him), and the instrumentals on the next blu exile album was dope. His solo shit from this year was nice too, though a little feature heavy. Dude grew as an artist. Always thought he would just have one sound/flow.

Detox

Timbo says Nas has a song right now with Em, Jay and Justin Timberlake.

I thought he said "him" and not "Em," but it's sounding more like "Em" to me.
He better not have jinxed it, Em doesn't like people talking about his unreleased/ potential work, still salty he didn't work with Premier because Premier told somebody in an interview that Em has a song in the pipeline. Pretty sure it was during the Eminem show too so it would have been dope as fuck.

JT on Salaam Remi going to be some Back to Black type shit.

IrishNinja

what ya'll know bout Bill O 'Reilly and gangsta rap destroying black families, which this dude squarely puts on ODB of course

why do people do this here in OT, talk bout shit they don't know? i don't often pop into NBA GAF like LARRY BIRD BEST PLAYER OF ALL TIME IM OUT just to fully illustrate my lack of basketball knowledge past genesis covers

Posting Gambino in GAF-HOP is the quickest way to get killed here.

KwBJmZr.png

iavi

I really like this one a lot. You're making some serious progress. Fast progress.

As for some kind of crit: I do think the lead strings to be a tad repetitive, but love when you shift them down for that atmospheric-ish effect; really sounds good in tandem with the warp you have on the tom. Still, some variation might help things not sound so arranged.

----

I want to share a new beat idea too

https://soundcloud.com/kiinda101/patchwork-sketch

It started out as me fucking around--trying to sample as many as my fav songs as I could, but with some serious cleaning, I think I may have 'me' on my hands here.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I really like this one a lot. You're making some serious progress. Fast progress.

As for some kind of crit: I do think the lead strings to be a tad repetitive, but love when you shift them down for that atmospheric-ish effect; really sounds good in tandem with the warp you have on the tom. Still, some variation might help things not sound so arranged.

----

I want to share a new beat idea too

https://soundcloud.com/kiinda101/patchwork-sketch

It started out as me fucking around--trying to sample as many as my fav songs as I could, but with some serious cleaning, I think I may have 'me' on my hands here.
Thanks! I need a bit more confidence with my melodies..

And I like what you doing with that beat... slap a piano behind it and it ties all together!!

kamspy

Has Lil Wayne officially fallen off?

His last album was surprisingly decent. But as far as people putting him up with the best rappers working, well, I would say that ship sailed, but it was never really on the water to begin with. It's all about expectations.

SadAli

Neo Member
Yeah he's gone. The guy did have around 4-5 great solo albums and a couple of great group albums to his name while simultaneously releasing some of the greatest ever mixtapes though. All by the age of 25. I'm therefore kind of happy to just keep an ear out for any future inspiration while returning to former glories if I need a fix.

codhand

around the carter 2, dude's mixtapes were on some other planet, i liked him best then, i like cater II,

listening back to Fire Man, you can hear how far he came, but still hear the potential

IrishNinja

yeah, i revisited early carter/da drought shit and was impressed, ended up digging more than i thought i would....but i can't fuck with dude for years now, hopefully he sticks to his talk about retiring after carter V but i wouldn't be surprised if he slimes his way back in for another paycheck

Esch

Banned
It's all terrible.

"Lil Wayne had a great run, he was a beast on the mic, the carter ____ were classics, etc etc"

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

SadAli

Neo Member
In my mind, Lil Wayne pre Carter III and post Carter III are two entirely different artists with their own career arcs. No amount of guitar strumming, drake loving, sizzurp sipping, skateboaridng tomfoolery can taint how genuinely exciting his mixtapes were for a while.

I don't actually think a lot of it has aged particularly well but that's in part due to a lot of what was then out of the ordinary (the way he played around with structure, sounds, etc, the sheer volume of output) being picked up on and imitated or developed further by artists who have come up since.

You'd think ICP would be better rappers after watching how funny they are in those music video reviews they do, but Danny kills it as per usual.

Esch

Banned
Yeah i can. Except fireman, thats the only Wayne song I like. The guy has good beat selection but his delivery is annoying as shit, he abuses similies past the point of corniness, he couldn't make a concept or intelligent wordplay track to save his life, not even the more personal tracks he writes about his life are good or endearing. Overall he is the wackest rapper to ever dominate the charts. I have literally nothing to say that is positive about him from a mic perspective, at all. I have listened to the so called hidden gems (no ceilings, drought, dedication) in his weed plate collection of a career and found them wanting as well. The funniest thing about it all is I cant really find a Wayne fan who can articulate what it is about the guy that was good. Its all plea copping.

Shit sucks. Makes me ashamed to be 90s baby that our generation bought so many of these shit albums.

Yeah i can. Except fireman, thats the only Wayne song I like. The guy has good beat selection but his delivery is annoying as shit, he abuses similies past the point of corniness, he couldn't make a concept or intelligent wordplay track to save his life, not even the more personal tracks he writes about his life are good or endearing. Overall he is the wackest rapper to ever dominate the charts. I have literally nothing to say that is positive about him from a mic perspective, at all. I have listened to the so called hidden gems (no ceilings, drought, dedication) in his weed plate collection of a career and found them wanting as well. The funniest thing about it all is I cant really find a Wayne fan who can articulate what it is about the guy that was good. Its all plea copping.

Shit sucks. Makes me ashamed to be 90s baby that our generation bought so many of these shit albums.

I thought it was mostly teens with some young adults like 21 and below buying his mess.

Though on a more positive note I just discovered a couple of Jean Grae's albums. I've randomly found a couple of her songs last year like Love Thirst, but she just straights murders on these tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REksSlk_SHw&list=PLHM1MRwUfb-ihuFHaZN-34IWW32selYU_

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inWtBI3Kp7I

After listening to all this, I think she might be my favorite female rapper; up there with MC Lyte.

T Dollarz

I would say early Weezy was just passable, not necessarily good. Post-Carter III is unlistenable though minus a few random tracks with a good beat.

Finally we actually agree on something

joelseph

Shadowrunners debuted a new song from their new album today on Spin.com. "Flip Phone". Totally doesn't sound like their first album, sad.

Cudder

Rented Spring Breakers last night and legit enjoyed it a lot. James Franco killed it, and that Vanessa Hudgens girl can get it anytime.

Esch

Banned
With soulja boy and vanilla ice there was no acknowledgement of them being that dude though. Wayne was a dominant force in the game in a completely different way. I like to think of 05 to 09 as the Dark Ages of hiphop where we all had the plague, the church was fucking shit up, and all the scientific research was being done in dungeons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom