• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwixotik

You hate Ye because hes egotistical, brash, and self-absorbed and I get that, but hes also the guy thats been sonning Hovs entire artistical direction, bravado, and fashion choices for the better part of a decade.

Yeah, I think really at the end of the day you have to judge an artist by their actual art, not their personality. There's been a lot of asshole artists that still make great art.

IrishNinja

I've never seen Wu live. I am a bad fan. Can't put down the money or effort for what will be a mediocre set with a bunch of old heads and white dudes waving their arm and bopping. I want people to bounce and mosh.

it was sad but yeah, i saw bumpin & moshing at a wu show, i was in the cut with dudes sharing their stash but it happens
for real though if you bout that moshing shit go to a rock/industrial/punk/whatever show, i used to do that in the day and you can't escape them shits

As far as Redman goes, I'm skep about Muddy 2. I hate when albums get sequels. I can't think of any that were good unless I'm missing a biggun.

Reggie........................................ Reggie cut me deeep It was the first honest to goodness Redman album I'd ever heard, which spans over a decade of listening to the dude, that just had absolutely zero energy or love. It was almost like Def Jam sent him the beats and hooks and said "last chance old man". I hate that album.

i think that's the only red album i havent heard yet, kinda worried this'd be my take too

Redman order

Doc's Da Name
Malpractice
Blackout!
Muddy Waters = Red Gone Wild
Dare Iz a Darkside (see What Thee Album notes, but to a lesser extent)
Ill at Will Vol 1
Blackout! 2
Whut Thee Album (he's barely the same rapper, different style. Like comparing pre RD Jay to the Jay we know)
Ill at Will Vol 2

solid list, and i get what you're saying but i still revisit Darkside since it was the first one i heard him on, shit like Can't Wait gets me hyped

I feel like Rae tried really hard to be relevant for a couple years a while back but I guess he just said fukk it and went back to eating cheeseburgers

Or worse, he tried his hand at starting a label with that Icewater shit and it went nowhere.

god, the last rock the bells they had down here, he was pushing that ice water shit...zero charisma from those dudes. it was literally what you'd expect if you came to see nas or pac or whoever and they gave the bravehearts/outlaws/junior mafia etc the mic for what felt like an hour, just terrible and the dude you wanna see rap is just acting like their hypeman. i cheered like crazy when they got off stage

He did the Combat Jack show a few months ago, for instance. Great interview, lots of stories, and Just Blaze was nerding out with him. Then at the end they asked him to freestyle and he was like "I don't rap for free yo..." and they basically had to beg him to do an old verse. I'm sorry but if JUST BLAZE asks you for a freestyle, you should probably do it. It's that type of arrogance that leads him to snub Wu tours and talk shit about the next Wu album. A full Wu Tang tour would be easy money for all of them. It's not 1997 anymore but they would still make dough./QUOTE]

shit like this would break my heart if i was a rae fan...i respect his role in the lineup but he's never really done it for me, it's honestly been hard to care about anything past criminology & all that unless the rest of the clan is carrying him for me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Maybe if he says Basquiat enough times people will think he's smart, and into high brow things. What do you think Jay thinks about when he looks at himself in the mirror? Does he even have mirrors in his house? I bet Kanye West talks to himself aloud while looking in the mirror.
Pretty sure Jay hired someone to walk around the WTT sessions and just take notes on whatever the hell Ye has been talking about so he can parrot it later, trying to be bout that life so bad like Ye is.

Who is a part of Raekwons H20 icewater label thingymabob? To be fair to him not that i've listened to either of them in full but in relation to Rae being lazy didn't he drop both Lost Jewelry and a Tonite Show with DJ Fresh that unfortunately sounded god awful in the previews I listened to off of it this year? Also Jay Z thinks his 5 minute old daughter told him to remind people that fuck the shit you talking about he's that ninja. Clearly dementia is setting in so it's not really fair to talk about his artistic merit at this point in time.
He was pimping JD Era for some time, no?

been eating ice cream all day
Been enjoying some vanilla Breyers lately. So smooth.

HiiiLife

Okay. I watched that Caninus vs Dizaster battle again and that dude in back looks like Anthony Fantano. Lmao. Do my eyes deceive me?

I mean, for me, Jay has 3 classics. Black Album, Blueprint and American Gangster. Plus there's stuff on all his albums I can listen to and still enjoy.

With Ye, his first two are great albums. Not personal classics but great albums. Graduation is 80% good, 808's is up there too. I'd rate MBDTF and Yeezus as his bottom 2 albums.

Jay just wins it for me. I've listened to his shit more and Its easier for me to go back and throw his albums on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay. I watched that Caninus vs Dizaster battle again and that dude in back looks like Anthony Fantano. Lmao. Do my eyes deceive me?
The worst part about that battle is watching DJ Skee in the back trying to process everything going wrong in front of him, and that no shirt wearing motherfucker constantly licking his lips throughout.

If you had asked me five years ago I'd have said the same thing, but it's definitely kinda comparable now.
I think Ye has done way more with his 6 albums than Jay has done with his 12+. The way it's looking right now, Ye will definitely be remembered more fondly in the future. If Jay had hung it up after Black album, I think things would be different. No one will forget Jay's early contributions to the game but as of now it's just embarrassing with how inconsistent he's been.

HiResDes

I'd actually agree with that synopsis Enzo. Jay-Z's like Iron Mike, he should have just retired and foregone this yacht rap shit.

People really confuse this thread with real world opinions. Kanye really isn't held in such a high regard as he is on minority forums etc.

Im a fan of his honestly, but he's really not the dude people make him out to be on here.

Kwixotik

People really confuse this thread with real world opinions. Kanye really isn't held in such a high regard as he is on minority forums etc.

Im a fan of his honestly, but he's really not the dude people make him out to be on here.

Yeah, but that's popular appeal. By that measurement, Twilight > all of the literary canon

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

If you want real world opinions, Weezy, Drake and Jay are the holy trinity.

People hate Kanye for the person he is, and have difficulty separating the man from the music. Or if you want to look at it even a bit closer, difficulty acknowledging that the man is the reason why the music is the way it is. I can't think of an artist that's been as unpredictable, risky, consistent and hungry as he is for such a span of time. Maybe Busta?

Honestly, I understand why Ye has a cultish fanbase, to some extent I even think it's justified considering his accomplishments. The other half I think is just people (me included) who buy into this borderline savant character that breathes music and goes on this sort of holy journey every time he tries to make music. While Jay is parlaying with multimillion dollar organizations, Ye is in Hawaii giving RZA, Swizz Beatz and Q-Tip schedules for the allotted time they can eat, do charity work and exercise before they have to come to the studio to work until 3AM, and hanging "What would Mobb Deep do?" posters on the studio walls. That and how everyone who comes out of his sessions talks about how much they learned and how inspired they are from that process. KTT and co. buy into the grind and the dude's passion for what he does. I don't get that feeling from Jay, or even just listening to his music in isolation of who the guy is. American Gangster was the last glint of inspiration I've heard from dude, and I really didn't think too fondly of that project outside of a few really high highs.

If you want real world opinions, Weezy, Drake and Jay are the holy trinity.

People hate Kanye for the person he is, and have difficulty separating the man from the music. Or if you want to look at it even a bit closer, difficulty acknowledging that the man is the reason why the music is the way it is. I can't think of an artist that's been as unpredictable, risky, consistent and hungry as he is for such a span of time. Maybe Busta?

Honestly, I understand why Ye has a cultish fanbase, to some extent I even think it's justified considering his accomplishments. The other half I think is just people (me included) who buy into this borderline savant character that breathes music and goes on this sort of holy journey every time he tries to make music. While Jay is parlaying with multimillion dollar organizations, Ye is in Hawaii giving RZA, Swizz Beatz and Q-Tip schedules for the allotted time they can eat, do charity work and exercise before they have to come to the studio to work until 3AM, and hanging "What would Mobb Deep do?" posters on the studio walls. That and how everyone who comes out of his sessions talks about how much they learned and how inspired they are from that process. KTT and co. buy into the grind and the dude's passion for what he does. I don't get that feeling from Jay, or even just listening to his music in isolation of who the guy is. American Gangster was the last glint of inspiration I've heard from dude, and I really didn't think too fondly of that project outside of a few really high highs.

I get that he has that cultish fanbase. And he does produce great music there's no denying that.

You mention separating the man from the music and thats a good point, Ye is a passionate dude and it shows. Just me personally I look more at the music and the person less. And just based on music I've always enjoyed Jays music more.

And by real world opinions, if we're hanging out drinking and smoking and a Jay song comes on people enjoy that more than if a Kanye song comes on. Completely subjective I know, but in general people seem to be not even more a fan of Jay Z, but less a part of that cultish fanbase thats all over the internet.

I've never met anyone who is as big into Kanye as some of the folks on here. Not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but just that Kanye isn't really as big as he seems on here.

But then thats just my opinion, what the fuck do I know. I was getting high with a girl from work last night and she put Take Care on and I thought it was good for the most part.

HiResDes

Yeah definitely don't agree with the drunk listening preference...Ignorant Ye is way more appealing to me than Hov, and when I'm drunk I need that ignorant shit.

Eminem is playing here this week, Chance the Rapper is one of the opening acts. No one will have a clue who the guy is

Edit: damn, Yelawolf, Slaughterhouse, Earlwolf are supporting too. Wish I didn't have to sell my ticket now...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I get that he has that cultish fanbase. And he does produce great music there's no denying that.

You mention separating the man from the music and thats a good point, Ye is a passionate dude and it shows. Just me personally I look more at the music and the person less. And just based on music I've always enjoyed Jays music more.

And by real world opinions, if we're hanging out drinking and smoking and a Jay song comes on people enjoy that more than if a Kanye song comes on. Completely subjective I know, but in general people seem to be not even more a fan of Jay Z, but less a part of that cultish fanbase thats all over the internet.

I've never met anyone who is as big into Kanye as some of the folks on here. Not saying that there's anything wrong with that, but just that Kanye isn't really as big as he seems on here.

But then thats just my opinion, what the fuck do I know. I was getting high with a girl from work last night and she put Take Care on and I thought it was good for the most part.
I think that comes down with hits primarily. As far as hits go, and stuff that has broader appeal, yeah Jay takes the crown. Jay is more popular and has been around longer, flat out. Kanye pretty much assassinated himself in the public eye and isn't making enough pop records to sustain a grip on the mainstream like say, Chris Brown.

Kanye has jams too, but since Heartless, it's been a bit thinner as far as stuff that blows up. If Can't Tell Me Nothing comes on, you better believe a ton of hip-hop heads will be singing along, but I doubt your casual listener has even heard of that song. Mercy was pretty much everywhere, but it doesn't vibe with women the same either. Whereas Jay has had hits peppered throughout his entire career and that's why he is where he is right now. Hard Knock Life, Big Pimpin, Izzo, Bonnie & Clyde, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, Swagga Like Us, Empire State Of Mind, N***as in Paris, etc. Tough to match by anyone.

I get looks when I talk to people about being a huge Kanye fan.

I've met one of those cultish Ye fans at my uni and some of my coworkers love the guy. We even put New Slaves on the little radio out front and rapped it word for word.

HiResDes

This dude sounds like a swagged out Quasimoto, got super blazed to this after a very long hiatus. definitely check it out:

Also this shit goes hard in the whip, for those looking for some new trap (Peter did you ever check out Nooneisready?)

Also this is up for stream:

IrishNinja

I like Slaughterhouse

i mean that's fine, even if i cant do a whole album myself

but if i can't talk about Kendrick, Krit or cut off the "Cole is only getting better" dude without being asked "but did you hear that crooked I freestlye tho" there's a problem

they're my dudes but one of em's on that MCHG = AOTY tip, and that just makes me remember that kid who told me Harvest Moon was the peak of gaming experiences; i'm glad there's people like this out there keepin things interesting but ima need at least 2 or 3 other dudes there if we're gonna meet up for drinks

Yo Harvest Moon: AWL is a must-have GCN game k

totally off-topic here but you guys ever have those nights where you don't want to do anything. Like, I don't have any work from class and shit's going down around town but I just wanna hang out inside. Then I end up doing nothing but posting on GAF and playing music. Weird times.

Mr.Swag

Banned

totally off-topic here but you guys ever have those nights where you don't want to do anything. Like, I don't have any work from class and shit's going down around town but I just wanna hang out inside. Then I end up doing nothing but posting on GAF and playing music. Weird times.

I feel you. Sometimes it's necessary.
Plus you save money when you stay home!

IrishNinja

i totally picked that one up for like 75 cents when gamestop was dumping its GC games, still gotta give it a try

and me too man, i totally felt that way tonight - just went swimming and then took a long walk with my dog, not much else i can do when it's like that

Mr.Swag

Banned
How long does it take all y'all to get tired of a song you're constantly listening to?

I'm obsessed to "hell of a life" and "swimming pools" right now.
I love it.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
This Cory Gunz tape man.... :(

I use to fuck with his music too....

Edit: Wiz killed the fuck out of him on his own track too. I can't even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom