• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamspy

HoF is mixed for clubs and whips like crazy.

I can barely make out the vocals of any song without turning the gain on my (home) sub negative.

cdyhybrid

I say "boi" out loud any time Big Sean is mentioned. I don't even want to, it's like a reflex.

I only admit this because GAF-Hop is a safe place.

overcast

Earl and Trap Lord are both nice 7/10 albums. Initially I definitely liked Lord more, but Earl has taken the crown for the late august releases.

Stay Trippy has a lot of my hype though.

kamspy

I think Earl realized his potential on Doris, fwiw.

I still can't rate it. It's an album you have to take in slowly. (Could go from anywhere from 3.5 to 4.5 atm)

Ferg is the best kind of 3.5 mic album you can get. (mid 90s Source scale). Just fun beats, fun features and fun hooks.

After more listening, this fucking Big Sean shit is targeted towards children. They might as well put Pokemon on packs of Newports if they feel OK exporting this to the seeds. Some poor 12 y/o kid is gonna grow up on this crap and think it's a classic.

You guys think GAF Hop is annoying with people who grew up on Lupe and Eminem, just wait til this 12 y/o get's his GAF account approved and is the non sarcastic Macca.

overcast

You guys think GAF Hop is annoying with people who grew up on Lupe and Eminem, just wait til this 12 y/o get's his GAF account approved and is the non sarcastic Macca.
I grew up on Lupe.. I turned out fine. What are you saying Kamp? He released 2 albums that are basically gold, not my fault.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The lows on this album are mind boggling low. I can't get over how terrible 10 2 10 is in it's entirety. This struggle verse from Common is truly forgettable. Freaky is...yea.

It's a decent album but holy shit. The missteps are like stepping back and falling into a void of mediocrity with a laugh track playing.

Ultra lol @ him having Minaj on a track talking about sucking his dick.

The production is ace.

effzee

Finally listened to Budden's response. Pretty good. All the SH rappers can't put together an album but this is their bread and butter.

kamspy

Overcast I gotta say, outside of the Chance avatar, you're one of the good ones.

Lupe's albums are not "classic" either. Dude was a nice little backpack feature killer who dropped some catchy cool tunes. There's no lasting influence from any of Lupe's albums. It's just bookworm rappity rap.

effzee

Overcast I gotta say, outside of the Chance avatar, you're one of the good ones.

Lupe's albums are not "classic" either. Dude was a nice little backpack feature killer who dropped some catchy cool tunes. There's no lasting influence from any of Lupe's albums. It's just bookworm rappity rap.

Revisionist history at its finest. Lupe was the toast of the town (gaf-ville) and practically all rap blogs, mags, and communities. I don't know how one qualifies an album as classic since there is never any consensus, but his first 2 albums either are or just miss the mark.

He didn't many catchy cool tunes until after his first 2 albums when he tried to go the mainstream route.

And lol@ bookworm rappity rap. Like that is a bad thing or because it was different than the usual mainstream releases its any less in quality.

codhand

dat Big Sean motivational speech :_)

I'm registering on Monster .com now. fml, so much wasted potential, it was right there in front of me all along, I just needed someone to show me the light, thank you Big Sean! lu' u brah.

Esch

Banned
Lupes shit is called 'classic' because the mainstream was so dire that the 'real' rap people were desperate, willing to anoint anyone the new guy. Lupe created his 'classics' in an era where heads were actually trying to listen to Budden rap for money. That's all that needs to be said. His shit is corny and lame. He has bars, but his music always struck me as safe and toothless. Babbys first rap album. Actually... The Cool was one of the ten first rap albums I listened to and it still got slam dunked into the recycle bin.

Trash.

DominoKid

the first F&L is definitely a classic.

in more interesting news...
Kanye doing his first TV interview in forever...on Mama Kris' show. Aug 23.

Kanye-West-Kris-Jenner-Show.jpg

West, who welcomed his first child with girlfriend Kim Kardashian in June, opens up to Jenner about his baby girl, falling in love with Kim, and dealing with the press.

He also addresses President Obama’s comments last month about how celebrities like Kanye and Kim have shifted the idea of the American dream. “There was not that window into the lifestyles of the rich and famous,” the president said at the time. “Kids weren’t monitoring every day what Kim Kardashian was wearing, or where Kanye West was going on vacation, and thinking that somehow that was the mark of success.”

codhand

Lupes shit is called 'classic' because the mainstream was so dire that the 'real' rap people were desperate, willing to anoint anyone the new guy. Lupe created his 'classics' in an era where heads were actually trying to listen to Budden rap for money. That's all that needs to be said. His shit is corny and lame. He has bars, but his music always struck me as safe and toothless. Babbys first rap album. Actually... The Cool was one of the ten first rap albums I listened to and it still got slam dunked into the recycle bin.

Trash.

words cant express the disappointment i felt finally getting around to The Cool after countless endorsements

on HOF where the hell is the Eminem track? Did he murder Sean worse than Kendrick or something? Could they not clear Ems sample with Barnum and Bailey?

PBY

Banned
BigSean: all i ask is people sit with the album, really listen in depth, support heartfelt honest music!

Y'all just aren't listening in depth enough

kamspy

Revisionist history at its finest. Lupe was the toast of the town (gaf-ville) and practically all rap blogs, mags, and communities. I don't know how one qualifies an album as classic since there is never any consensus, but his first 2 albums either are or just miss the mark.

He didn't many catchy cool tunes until after his first 2 albums when he tried to go the mainstream route.

And lol@ bookworm rappity rap. Like that is a bad thing or because it was different than the usual mainstream releases its any less in quality.

Influence is one of the biggest things I weigh when I put a classic label on something. Lupe just kinda hopped on Kanye's boat and rapped a little better (subjectively).

They're nice ass quality 4 mic albums, just far from classics.

What rap mag was singing his praises the way you say? Source was shit at the time and XXL basically classified him as alt rap. His first two joints are nice, but dude just comes off like a Robin with no Batman. Kanye wouldn't even fully adopt him.

HoF is mixed for clubs and whips like crazy.

I can barely make out the vocals of any song without turning the gain on my (home) sub negative.

Hearing this alone will make me listen to this shit

i think youre being generous with the 2.5. shits terrible bro.

Agreed. Album was really really bad.

Man, Lupe was big over here when he came out. Kick push, Daydreamin, Superstar were all pretty popular.

Lupe is a joke now and its shameful to even associate with liking his music. Doesn't take away the fact his first two albums can be debated as classics. Shit, look at the GAF-Hop top albums, he's on there. FnL is a classic imo.

Also Somewhere in America and Beach is Better are the two biggest wastes of beats in a while. I would've tolerated listening to Jay phone it in for 4-5 minutes on each of them. Such great beats.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
what an embarrassing album. i really like dollar and a dream 3 though. kingdom hearts needs to be sampled more.

that cover art. what a creeper. just chilling in a high school locker room.

he's sitting there cause he's waiting for the highschool girl who said she'd meet him there right after class. its a couple of hours later and he's still waiting. poor cole, will he ever win?

CRS

what an embarrassing album. i really like dollar and a dream 3 though. kingdom hearts needs to be sampled more.

that cover art. what a creeper. just chilling in a high school locker room.
Nah. Dude is probably in a 24 Hour Fitness playing basketball with some guys in their mid 40s trying to portray himself as an educated youth hoping to get at one of their daughters.

I don't understand who Big Sean's target audience is if he's not doing stuff like Marvin Gay & Char.

Does he really just make music for Enzo?

I mean, it's too corny for heads. It's too nerdy for ignant. The mustache is too thin to get in on that Wale, J.Cole HBCU girl lane.

I don't get it.

quinto_reaction.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom