• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Songs I fuck with off of HOF:

Mula Remix, MILF, Toyota Music, You Don't Know, Sierra Leone/Greedy Ho's, Switch Up, and Guap.

So on the Esch scale that's 7/17 out of the actual songs on the album, which is not even close to passing.

HOF is a 2.5 mic album for me if I'm being generous, but I can see how people that like MCHG might like this...I mean at least Sean stays on beat the whole time, but it sounds like a Graduation b-side at times when the momentum is just being built. Also many of the choruses are awful and some of the features seem kind of out of place i.e. Kid Cudi on First Chain and Miguel on Ashley.

HiResDes

I really don't like the guy at all anymore, and this dislike has only doubled after being mistaken for him so often everywhere I go.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
what are the odds your thread turns into another "but fuck kanye west" thread.
Maccas got that shit on lock. Not controversial/sensationalist etc. enough of a title to make people even bother to post though.

ain worry bou nun

Just another shitty Miguel feature to add to the pile. Along with Monae's new track. When will it stop.
I think the only Miguel collaboration with another artist I've cared for is Power Trip. Even the Kendrick one was bleh.

Esch

Banned
i thought the Janelle/Miguel track was really great. i haven't liked any of the stuff from her for this album so far.

Same. I like Fire, the fruity song with Ellie Goulding, World Ablaze, and Mona Lisa enough.

yeshrug.png

no substance, but should be sick in the car. I'm excited to bump Toyota music on the way to work tomorrow lol

Esch

Banned
I really don't like the guy at all anymore, and this dislike has only doubled after being mistaken for him so often everywhere I go.

Dude, that's awesome. bitches everywhere wanna fuck Miguel.

Shame, the only famous person i look like is Erik Estrada. If I was born in the 60's you best believe i'd be on that.

njean777

Got Trap Lord, Asap Ferg isn't the best spitta but he made a catchy album. Reminds me of Chief Keef a bit, crappy lyricist, but catchy beats and hooks.

Esch

Banned
I liked it, definitely wasn't what I expected based off the synopsis. Might remind you of the Thomas Covenant books.

Interesting. Seems like a big source of inspiration for the Rand al'Thor character from Wheel of Time (scust). I used to be a big fantasy reader in HS but I stopped. I figure this is a good time to go back and check out the classics of the genre that I missed.

I feel like Tokubetsu would love the Elric/Moorcock stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You don't fuck with HoF?
More disappointed than anything. A lot of great songs but an overabundance of okay or almost there songs for the most part. Maybe my mind will change as I listen to it more though. My favourite songs are still the ones released as singles.

Maybe I just have a witch mark on me after listening to Freaky.

IrishNinja

TIGAH STYLE

did kams just...ahahaha

also tonight's hype moment: feelin winded jumping rope (tryinna get back into my boxing shit) and ghost - the champ comes on, like NINJAS WANT ME DEAD BUT THEY SCARED TO STEP TO ME/RIP THEY GUTS OUT, LIKE A HYSTERECTOMY

Won't believe it until the drip drip.

goes without saying on elec

Kendrick Lamar probably got a lot of his female fans off of Poetic Justice and Buried Alive

aka: getting that residual light skin brother paper

shoutout to the PP channeling of this post

The irony from the people drinking to this cut never fails to amuse me.

i love it, its up there with watchin chicks run to the floor in the day to Luda's "you's a ho" shit like GURL THATS MY JAM

Solidarity with Egypt?

ASAP strikes me as that dude that someone asks that shit in an interview and he's like "uhh.....yeah, yeah, haha you know how i do"
like the rap game soul glo dude trynna act like he put that money in the plate "for the kids"

GAF-Hop hates No Idols but it's still my favorite OF release (Haven't heard Doris yet). Domo's feature on the Prodigy album was solid too.

I think a lot of the smarter OF cats are doing the right thing by low key dis-associating themselves from Tyler/OF as a whole. Domo and Earl seem to be living around ALC's studio and the cats he runs with when not doing other shit (Flying Lotus, Domo linking with Hody for MellowHigh etc).

didn't know about them fucking with Lotus, that's cool though. i wanted to like no idols more than i did, based off the cover but it aint happen. i totally get what you're saying about these dudes kinda moving past Tyler and his Loiter Squad life

oh god 10 2 10 is like an exercise in proving just how bad of a hook you need to ruin an amazing beat.

see i ain't fuckin with HOF much but that's the impression id go in with

I wish my car stereo supported flac

son my shit is so low tech i got this CD player and i wish it was a tape deck just for that old school ipod plugin i couldve used here, now im drivin with one earbud in just to hear shit on my cheap-ass headphones, weak like clock radio speakers

Nah, I think Big Sean will be tagged as this generation's MC Hammer.

Boi.

i wanna agree with this but there's gotta be like 5 dudes right now he'd have to fight to get that title, that lane feels cramped lately

Lupes shit is called 'classic' because the mainstream was so dire that the 'real' rap people were desperate, willing to anoint anyone the new guy. Lupe created his 'classics' in an era where heads were actually trying to listen to Budden rap for money. That's all that needs to be said. His shit is corny and lame. He has bars, but his music always struck me as safe and toothless. Babbys first rap album. Actually... The Cool was one of the ten first rap albums I listened to and it still got slam dunked into the recycle bin.

Trash.

damn, don't know if id take it that far but there's truth here; everyone i knew/saw on lupe back then coudln't namedrop him without "HIP HOP SAVIOR" right after that like they were waiting for him to fulfill some prophecy and shit

you know i can fuck with referencing comics/anime and shit and not at all call that corny (fuck Wu did it tons) but he'd do it in a corny manner ever since i heard him jump on ye's Touch the Sky

...the Biggie Album?

stahp

lookit dude try to put that on Ye instead of own that mess

That line is damn good too. I can appreciate it.

you stahp too, wenis

IrishNinja

yeah, i was a victim of that for sure, couldn't push past it. don't get me wrong, i remember running stairs in like '08 or '09 or whenever i got around to it & had The Cool and Food & Liquor on rotation and i dug em, and i got what esha was sayin: if you were that hip hop head like that kid you were arguing with in that thread the other day (on about real hip hop and how shit has to have a message etc) this was a huge breath of fresh air amongst the radio wave of crunk/candypaint drippin off the chrome/crawlin like a caterpillah type shit that was blowin up sometime around then. i mean, i got into blackstar & that last wave of native tongue type shit in early 2000's when i wasn't trynna hear no limit/dipset/etc type shit either, so i fell for that shit once too.

i think it's a phase you're supposed to move past, and if you can still revisit that sound & dig it that's cool too. i can still bump reflection eternal, black on both sides, quality etc like those first 2 lupe ones here & there, but i damn sure can't go past that limit on any of these artists cause it just spirals downward when it feels like they ran out of shit to say.

There's some validity to Lupe corn comments. He does tend to pick lackluster beats, he sacrifices rhythm and flows at times to awkwardly jam double entendres or metaphors in his verses. He can sometimes come off as though he thinks he's smarter than the room more often than I think he can even comprehend.

That said, I still think he never reached his potential and doubt he ever will.

CRS

Y'all try to tell me this shit isn't dope.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pjCiKk-wHys

People highlight his first two studio albums but his tapes he released, specifically the Fahrenheit 1st and 15th series, were pretty solid too. It was the typical beat jack mixtapes but they're still enjoyable and I go back to them every once in a while.

Oh and that reminds me, I was going to reply with a damn essay to that moron but it wasn't worth the effort.

umm lmao. that will be true if ferg puts out another project on par with trap lord (or better). really dope project but some of the tracks without features (except for let it go and hood pope) kind of bog it down.

also @Toku: I agree with you on odd future. if it wasn't for nostalgia ultra or channel orange then domo genesis' no idols would be the best project of the crew

kinda funny that I'm revisiting channel orange right now (with a little too much wine, sorry). album still owns and is one of my favorites from last year...

but yeah, OF is such an interesting group. Like there's talent to make such an off the wall posse cut record but they're so immature and successful the way they are, that they don't need to do it. In a few years when they've settled down and their shtick isn't working for them, I'd love to see some select members of the group come together and really spit some serious, hard hitting stuff. For now, I'm only really following frank & earl. They are the only two who have something interesting to say in my book.

I mean my only major prob with doris is that he needs to expand his territory in terms of content. a song like chum is insanely personal and strange and lovely in a weird way, and so far ahead the other tracks that has him talking about his 10th dank bowl

I like that they are all being themselves though I guess. I mean I respect that. But I think they all have something more meaningful to say

e: I'm on pink matter and I'm remembering what andrew noz said once: "andre 3K could make the best drake album ever if he'd let himself do it." so ot$.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom