• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
SOMETIMES I HATE MYSELF
iLrV6YAHTU4Jb.gif

EloquentM

aka Mannny
It's only bad with real big shit like that. Major mainstream albums in 2013 always seem to get a better mix for web/itunes. Especially if its POP.

We're in a state right now where basically every release of an album has the potential to have different mastering. It's kinda fucked. Yeezus had different mix and mastering not only for cd and itunes, but itunes region.

The last like three Deftones album have all had better masters for their vinyl releases that came half a year to a year later.

CDs tend to suffer the most, if its one of those big albums like I said you can expect it to be brickwalled.
Loudness wars 0_o

Novid

Banned
It's only bad with real big shit like that. Major mainstream albums in 2013 always seem to get a better mix for web/itunes. Especially if its POP.

We're in a state right now where basically every release of an album has the potential to have different mastering. It's kinda fucked. Yeezus had different mix and mastering not only for cd and itunes, but itunes region.

The last like three Deftones album have all had better masters for their vinyl releases that came half a year to a year later.

CDs tend to suffer the most, if its one of those big albums like I said you can expect it to be brickwalled.

This is not fucking funny. This started in earnest when St Anger came out - and the CD was less "dynamic" than the Video Game (Rockband) version. Its almost like the majors got rid of the Analog setups they had since the mid 90's.

Tokubetsu

This is not fucking funny. This started in earnest when St Anger came out - and the CD was less "dynamic" than the Video Game (Rockband) version. Its almost like the majors got rid of the Analog setups they had since the mid 90's.

Yeah I remember seeing that quite a few album had their best releases via Rock Band/Guitar Hero. It's sad.

CRS

I thought it was the norm that vinyl releases was from a different mastering. I believe the LP release for Gorillaz' S/T is a lot warmer compared to the CD. This is when I noticed that some LP releases sounded a little different (and sometimes better).

my samsung s4 plays .flac via regular aux in stereo cable, #boutdatflaclife
Bluetooth >>>> Aux

Tokubetsu

flac doesn't mean shit if it was mixed and mastered poorly.

I thought it was the norm that vinyl releases was a different mastering. I believe the LP release for Gorillaz' S/T is a lot warmer compared to the CD. This is when I noticed that some LP releases sounded a little different (and sometimes better).

Format itself lends to that yea but a lot of the time (especially if the vinyl release drops significantly later than the CD release) they'll go back and remaster before dropping it on wax.

MBDTF for example though, still does not have have a proper release that isn't bricked. Vinyl, CD, Itunes etc. It all clips.

CRS

Is flac not overall just better? I thought it was HD to SD kinda difference
Yes and no. Like Toku said, it depends on the source. If the engineer fucked up the mastering of the album, then it doesn't matter if you have a FLAC version or a 96 Kbps mp3, they're both going to sound like shit.

flac = goat format,
aux, vs usb, no different for me,
no bluetooth unfortunately
im not pushing the mazdauroteez like yall

Fixed

Yes and no. Like Toku said, it depends on the source. If the engineer fucked up the mastering of the album, then it doesn't matter if you have a FLAC version or a 96 Kbps mp3, they're both going to sound like shit.

Gotcha. Thanks. But good sources and it sounds much better right?

CRS

Yep and just how the mixing and mastering process is important, so is the hardware you use to listen to the music. Lossless formats won't mean much if you're playing the music back on laptop speakers, wal-mart earbuds, etc.

Tokubetsu

Fixed

Yes. It's why Dre albums sound like you're getting head on a beach in Maui, puffing OG Kush. Dude has always leaned more to the engineering side of production. Ten years on and 2001 is still one of, if not THE best sounding rap albums in the game. You can hear a lot of the Dre magic on Em's SSLP. It's not as lush as 2001 because of instrumentation just not being there but its a well mixed album.

Dre a god behind the boards.

Esch

Banned
I swear it sounded like my first rap song as soon as that hook hit. who the fuck told him that track was a good idea.

If his verse was rap homework, it's the kind of thing a teacher doesn't even give you an F or D- on. It's some call your parents and arrange a meeting to address your deficiencies/lack of drive type shit. Just beyond poor.

codhand

If his verse was rap homework, it's the kind of thing a teacher doesn't even give you an F or D- on. It's some call your parents and arrange a meeting to address your deficiencies/lack of drive type shit. Just beyond poor.

some fuggin, "are there problems in the home?" typa shiit

HiiiLife

Yeah Audio Dope IV is nice. So verdict on Hall of Fame for me is, dope beats with forgettable lines. Huh. Seems like MCHG to me, only HoF got less swagger.

kamspy

Yes. It's why Dre albums sound like you're getting head on a beach in Maui, puffing OG Kush. Dude has always leaned more to the engineering side of production. Ten years on and 2001 is still one of, if not THE best sounding rap albums in the game. You can hear a lot of the Dre magic on Em's SSLP. It's not as lush as 2001 because of instrumentation just not being there but its a well mixed album.

Dre a god behind the boards.

I remember a Source article right after 2001 came out. Dre said he did his final mastering in a (newer) car factory stereo. So yeah, shit is tuned nice for anything up to a modest home theater. I've said it before, but MixedByAli is getting a lot of reps sitting in with Dre. Just the improvement from Section80/HnC to Control System is almost like a new engineer.

Stuff now is tuned for the ear buds that come with iPhones. Sucks.

Yeezus actually has great mastering on CD and iTunes imo. Rick Rubin did some amazing work to get every sound to clip(on purpose, except for a select few instruments) and still have crispy vocals. MBDTF is an example of shitty vocal mastering. I guess Rubin has the most experience mixing good vocals over distorted ass stuff considering all the metal he mastered.

Also weird note, Magna Carta was not engineered by Young Guru. Wonder why.

kamspy

You can play "Can I Master Yeezus?" at home!

Throw a few patterns into FL or whatever. Crank them up well past clipping. Drops in some vocals and leave them where you normally would. Try to play the shit back without the vocals cracking, even though you don't crank the vocals. You have to kinda work the actual speakers. It's hard.

HiiiLife

After listening to Dizzy's tape then going into Sean's tape right after, yeah, the rapping is so weak compared to The Golden Age. But the production on Hall of Fame is bonkers.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What in the actual fuck is going on with 10 2 10? This hook is a special type of fucking terrible. Basura.
The hook is whatever, the "I'm rapping while falling out of a helicopter" rapping is by far the biggest violation.

There goes another one. Only Q left to contend Yeezus AOTY. If he ever comes out.

Esch

Banned
ibzxH3bVhNftbY.gif

Overall, I'd say this is kinda good. There are some obvious missteps, but this is like the perfect album to ride around in your car with some girls on a friday night. Just enough sensitive shit to entertain them, enough hype shit to have fun with. Enough self aware (?) corny shit to get laughs, and some clearly dope production. I think this album benefits a lot from the various types of sounds on it. Nice fun. I'm feeling a little manic and tired and out of my mind right now, so it might be premature. As always, needs a whip test. Will report back with results.

3.5-4 mics.

Esch Scale: 14/18. Not bad in that regard.

kamspy

I don't understand who Big Sean's target audience is if he's not doing stuff like Marvin Gay & Char.

Does he really just make music for Enzo?

I mean, it's too corny for heads. It's too nerdy for ignant. The mustache is too thin to get in on that Wale, J.Cole HBCU girl lane.

I don't get it.

HiiiLife

I don't understand who Big Sean's target audience is if he's not doing stuff like Marvin Gay & Char.

I mean, it's too corny for heads. It's too nerdy for ignant. The mustache is too thin to get in on that Wale, J.Cole HBCU girl lane.

I don't get it.

Dead.

Esch

Banned

I don't get it.

I don't get it either. I feel like a cornball just for having it on my HDD. But alas, on my phone it goes. Such is life.

He's just the 2013 Ma$e. Just accept it, and KIM i guess.

Tokubetsu

I don't get it.

ib2cD3d0SebUfA.gif

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Y'all are like that scene in Tommy Boy where that lame song comes on and they're both like "you can change the station if you want" then they break out into full on singing. Try to hide it but y'all made an OT about Big Sean, are talking about Big Sean and probably have said Boi at least twice today.

Stop. Fronting.

Esch

Banned
Y'all are like that scene in Tommy Boy where that lame song comes on and they're both like "you can change the station if you want" then they break out into full on singing. Try to hide it but y'all made an OT about Big Sean, are talking about Big Sean and probably have said Boi at least twice today.

Stop. Fronting.

Hahaha, kind of reminds me of people calling Kanye a f****t when College Dropout came out but everyone had a copy or a leak. I'm not gonna front, I enjoy the album. It's just good clean american fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom