• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

r5BrObG.png

Y'all ain't ready still wearing rocawear

Trey

Just listened to Gucci Mane's Trap House 3; what were GAF-Hop's general thoughts on it?

On a tangent, been in a gully rap music kind of mood lately. Trying to branch out in the vein if anyone has some recommendations.

DominoKid

is this 'admit your privilege' week in rap? Cole talks about his lightskin privilege
You’ve talked about including dark-skinned women in your music videos versus all light-skinned women. The light-skinned, dark-skinned issue certainly affects women in hip hop; does it affect men in hip hop?

I can’t say it for sure but I just think we’re still in America. We’re still Black Americans. Those mental chains are still in us. That brainwashing that tells us that light skin is better, it’s subconsciously in us, whether we know it or not… still pursuing light skin women. There are some women out there that are like, “I don’t even like light skin men” and that’s fine. But Barack Obama would not be President if he were dark skin. You know what I mean? That’s just the truth. I might not be as successful as I am now if I was dark skin. I’m not saying that for sure, I’m still as talented as I am and Obama is still as smart as he is, but it’s just a sad truth… I don’t even know if this is going to translate well into text and people not hearing what I’m saying, but it’s a sad reality. So I can only naturally assume it’s probably easier for a light skin male rapper than it might be for a dark skin male rapper. It’s all subconscious s***, nobody’s aware — I think that s*** still subconsciously affects us.

Esch

Banned
is this 'admit your privilege' week in rap? Cole talks about his lightskin privilege

Definitely true. I can't speak on how it affects blacks, but it plays a central role in Indian culture. Light skin is prized, and darkskinned people were traditionally associated with lower castes/classes, similar to how the "field ninja" meme works. So now as you know there are people buying bleaching products and all that. You can see the same themes in other asian and islander cultures. it's a twisted circle of self hate.

Brown is beautiful, baby.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Preview of Kanye's TV interview.

Definitely true. I can't speak on how it affects blacks, but it plays a central role in Indian culture. Light skin is prized, and darkskinned people were traditionally associated with lower castes/classes, similar to how the "field ninja" meme works. So now as you know there are people buying bleaching products and all that. You can see the same themes in other asian and islander cultures. it's a twisted circle of self hate.

Brown is beautiful, baby.
As soon as I saw SRK doing those bleaching commercials, I knew it was that fucked up for Indians too. Indian women will tear other indian women a new asshole openly and to their face if they're dark.

CRS

Three Kings I believe it is called. Didn't know about it either until it was posted in the R&B thread.

If this was out a decade ago, people would be going crazy.

Esch

Banned
Preview of Kanye's TV interview.

As soon as I saw SRK doing those bleaching commercials, I knew it was that fucked up for Indians too. Indian women will tear other indian women a new asshole openly and to their face if they're dark.
Shit has been fucked up for the last 5000 years. The indian subcontinent is still split by the Aryan conquest of the Dravidians, and it shows in issues like this and language especially. Fuck Shah Rukh Khan and fuck Bollywood.

ecurbj

J Cole interview

You’ve talked about including dark-skinned women in your music videos versus all light-skinned women. The light-skinned, dark-skinned issue certainly affects women in hip hop; does it affect men in hip hop?

"I can’t say it for sure but I just think we’re still in America. We’re still Black Americans. Those mental chains are still in us. That brainwashing that tells us that light skin is better, it’s subconsciously in us, whether we know it or not… still pursuing light skin women. There are some women out there that are like, “I don’t even like light skin men” and that’s fine. But Barack Obama would not be President if he were dark skin. You know what I mean? That’s just the truth. I might not be as successful as I am now if I was dark skin. I’m not saying that for sure, I’m still as talented as I am and Obama is still as smart as he is, but it’s just a sad truth… I don’t even know if this is going to translate well into text and people not hearing what I’m saying, but it’s a sad reality. So I can only naturally assume it’s probably easier for a light skin male rapper than it might be for a dark skin male rapper. It’s all subconscious s***, nobody’s aware — I think that s*** still subconsciously affects us.'

LOL.

I got stories about that one...lord have mercy.
Share them breh. Shit is sad. I realized whenever I talked to a dark Indian chick at school, nothing would happen. But if I talked to a lighter Indian chick for more than a minute, a bunch of (mostly dark) Indian dudes would appear out of nowhere, watching me with disdain. As if I'm under police surveillance or some shit lmao

EloquentM

aka Mannny
How can you just tow a bus until you get a warrant? Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of not having a warrant prior? That's some bullshit.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
That Cole piece is true (and I get what he's saying), but uhhhh....

Lamar just went Platinum
Yeezy is doing okay playing family man in left field
Jay doing unreal numbers
Ross getting shoe deals and sponsors out in Europe (even post UOENO)
Krit is working with Spike Lee
Nas has his thing going with Henny and outchea saving lives
Rocky is brown with a perm, wearing skirts, making songs with skrillex
etc...

The fuck you doing with yo light skin attribute?

Novid

Banned
Share them breh. Shit is sad. I realized whenever I talked to a dark Indian chick at school, nothing would happen. But if I talked to a lighter Indian chick for more than a minute, a bunch of (mostly dark) Indian dudes would appear out of nowhere, watching me with disdain. As if I'm under police surveillance or some shit lmao

It was worse than that. One of my friends had a indian gf for a good while who was light skinned, her parents and her brother, and his friends hounded this dude like god knows what - they keyed his car (brothers friends), all that shit. But it reached a point where the gf went back for what seemed to be a vacation, but it turned out to be a massive marriage ceremony she couldn't get out of. my friend was crushed for YEARS until very, very recently.

It was worse than that. One of my friends had a indian gf for a good while who was light skinned, her parents and her brother, and his friends hounded this dude like god knows what - they keyed his car (brothers friends), all that shit. But it reached a point where the gf went back for what seemed to be a vacation, but it turned out to be a massive marriage ceremony she couldn't get out of. my friend was crushed for YEARS until very, very recently.

whoa wait...wut? Were they dark skinned and hating on her?

My friend who did this video I previously posted, just added this song to his soundcloud. I think he's starting to get better, but he's just getting seriously into it.

https://soundcloud.com/thekidvoodoo/neva-neva

Thoughts? Potential? Hang it up?

J Cole interview

LOL.

Cole's right, except dark skin men are more scary and probably good for suburban white (sorry real hip hop fans, I'm talking about the frat bros loving three six mafia and black face parties) fantasies about hip-hop. So he's wrong on that.

Novid

Banned
whoa wait...wut? Were they dark skinned and hating on her?

most of them were tanned not dark skinned. They were over protective of her actually, but most of her brothers friends were straight up thirstin at her. My friend even said they had keys to the parents house just so they get a glimpse at her. It was that bad.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
No, Indians are generally highly suspicious of and racist against black people.

I'd say there's just as much ethnic strife, it's just that pakistan and india have more promo.
ehh. i'd say its not just blacks they're racist against. i mean my rents are all in all really accepting of color but arn't to found of whites, (due to personal experience in the work place)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom