• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a long time fan of hip hop but i try to keep up, i read about the feud between Jay Z and Nas..now i am thinking maybe i should listen to some stuff by Nas. So any suggestions GAF or should i just start with illmatic

Esch

Banned
Didn't Jay Z work with Rubin 10 years ago before Ye was even anything?
Jay Z molded, shaped, funded and controlled Kanye for years before letting him go. He literally sonned Kanye. Unfortunately, Ye stans have really bad memories and huff nitrous, so it is what it is. He gave Ye a job, straight up, and signed him when people at Capitol, Atlantic, wherever weren't trying to hear that shit. Kanye West has helped Jay a lot, but the fact of the matter is, he wouldn't exist without Jay. The Blueprint could have been made with songs from other producers, and BP actually didnt' sell as much as Vol 2, 3, and The Black Album. It actually seems like Jay does better from a commercial perspective without Kanye's creative input, WTT aside obviously..

Ye>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Hov.

All there is to it gents.

nope. but his last few albums have stomped jay z's shit. I think 808s and Yeezus in particular are really good experiences. and jay z is only good now when he collaborates with kanye. his stuff by himself like in mchg was shit.

HiResDes

Not a long time fan of hip hop but i try to keep up, i read about the feud between Jay Z and Nas..now i am thinking maybe i should listen to some stuff by Nas. So any suggestions GAF or should i just start with illmatic
Actually starting with Illmatic might tarnish his other solid material, I'd start like this:

Stillmatic, then listen to Lost Tapes, then listen to It Was Written, and then save Illmatic for last. And you're basically done.

Esch

Banned

Do you like 90s hip hop?

If yes, then Illmatic

If no, then Life is Good

Do you like Illmatic?

Then listen to It Was Written.

Do you like Life is Good?

Then listen to Stillmatic.

Do you like all of the above? Then listen to Lost Tapes.

If you like trash, listen to everything else

cdyhybrid

I'd say listen to God's Son too, but many here would disagree. I wouldn't put it above the ones HRD mentioned, but I think it's worth a listen.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jay Z molded, shaped, funded and controlled Kanye for years before letting him go. He literally sonned Kanye. Unfortunately, Ye stans have really bad memories and huff nitrous, so it is what it is. He gave Ye a job, straight up, and signed him when people at Capitol, Atlantic, wherever weren't trying to hear that shit. Kanye West has helped Jay a lot, but the fact of the matter is, he wouldn't exist without Jay. The Blueprint could have been made with songs from other producers, and BP actually didnt' sell as much as Vol 2, 3, and The Black Album. It actually seems like Jay does better from a commercial perspective without Kanye's creative input, WTT aside obviously..
Trying to remember when any Ye stans ever debated any of this. That's common knowledge. They worked on one song in 2003, on Jay's best album, with perhaps the most ambition he's had when it comes to an album through his career too lol If anything that further shows Jay's decline if there is some sort of Rick Rubin Advantage Card being played here.

And time is a bitch, you can't say he does better or worse as long as Jay's worst albums have all been later in his career, with his worst having pretty much zero involvement from Ye (MCHG). Also Jay was very hands-off when it comes to Ye's career from the jump. Dude really didn't mold shit creatively. Jay mentions as such in Fade To Black IIRC.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Oh my lord enzo, kanye isnt pulling from anything except his own ass. yeezus is everything that's wrong with kanye and was so bad it made me miss mbdtfnbatnt. At least that musical abortion had a few moments where listening to it didn't make me want to kill myself and everyone around me. I must have fully transcended to old man who doesnt understand new music anymore because everytime someone in here wanks one off over yeezus my fucking brain shits itself in disbelief.
There is hardly anyone in here that hasn't critiqued yeezus. I feel like gafhop as a whole is under some delusion that yeezus is widely liked because other than a few in here the album has been consistently shit on.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yo ginger ninja, what do you think of the Wii U? You own a Vita by any chance? How big do you think Yu Suzuki's dick is?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Mixed. One of the most divisive artists here. I really like Take Care, and the rest is solid.
I think most of GAF-Hop liked Take Care. Even PP did. GAF-Hop mostly clowns Drake for all of the non-music stuff he does or some of the obviously substance-less facades he keeps up. I like the dude though.

Pretty sure more of Gaf Hop likes Drake than not. And even the ones who say they don't; they closet.
Also this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Drake entertains me.

Don't know if it's intentional or not. Don't care one way or the other about his music, but I like to laugh at him like I do Birdman. To the point that I don't know if it's ironic or not anymore.

Kwixotik

I have a really irrational hatred of Drake that even I don't really understand. I've only heard his radio singles and guest features, but I can't stand the dude.

Esch

Banned
And time is a bitch, you can't say he does better or worse as long as Jay's worst albums have all been later in his career, with his worst having pretty much zero involvement from Ye (MCHG). Also Jay was very hands-off when it comes to Ye's career from the jump. Dude really didn't mold shit creatively. Jay mentions as such in Fade To Black IIRC.
I said commercially, not creatively. MCHG is about to pass BP3 and it's been out since July 4th, with only a single video and single.
So does GAF HOP like Drake overall or are opinions mixed/negative? I love Hold On and his feature on Live For.
Mostly positive, not for me though

Nah i ain't nobody's alt guys..about yeezus, i am in no way an expert but i think it was good although ye was lyrically bankrupt..I am a god sounded good but was cringe worthy

Kwixotik

Nah i ain't nobody's alt guys..about yeezus, i am in no way an expert but i think it was good although ye was lyrically bankrupt..I am a god sounded good but was cringe worthy

Yeah, I'll agree with you a lot of the lyrics are lacking/cringeworthy. I still like the album though.

HiResDes

Man I'm fiending for Old so bad right now, I feel delusional thinking that 3 of those 4 leaked tracks are the worst on the album, but that's what stanning does to a person. Now I know how all of those Eminem fans feel, he's got me hooked, and hungry as a motherfucker.

NewJackCity4.jpg

CRS

Chances of that happening are worse than a new Bone Thugs album
Art of War III is coming.

Do you like 90s hip hop?

If yes, then Illmatic

If no, then Life is Good

Do you like Illmatic?

Then listen to It Was Written.

Do you like Life is Good?

Then listen to Stillmatic.

Do you like all of the above? Then listen to Lost Tapes.

If you like trash, listen to everything else
This is the Goosebumps version of Nas' discography. They both end in horror.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeezus lyrics are incredibly hilarious. I'm In It is my favorite song from it now.
I'm In It has grown on me so much.

I think the lyrics are generally pretty bad, but it has some of the best quotables of his entire career. Ye just having fun on the mic, and it comes across on the first half of the album especially. It focusing on creating a vibe for a song is part of the reason I like it so much. On stuff like Bound 2 it just comes off as turribad, which is coincidentally the song with the most awkward vibe on the album.

yeezy season approachin
fuck whatever y'all been hearin
fuck what, fuck what-ever y'all been wearing
a monsters about to come alive again

GAWD
GAWD
GAWD
GAWD

that big sean album sucks. stay trippy leaking shortly after made me forget about it.
Stay Trippy probably has the most liberal use of filler I've heard on an album all year. Shit oozes of C grade bangers inbetween some sparse hot songs. Really feels like a mixtape someone puts out just to keep things moving with two songs that actually are worth pushing.

Recon

Banned
I'm In It has grown on me so much.

I think the lyrics are generally pretty bad, but it has some of the best quotables of his entire career. Ye just having fun on the mic, and it comes across on the first half of the album especially. It focusing on creating a vibe for a song is part of the reason I like it so much. On stuff like Bound 2 it just comes off as turribad, which is coincidentally the song with the most awkward vibe on the album.

yeezy season approachin
fuck whatever y'all been hearin
fuck what, fuck what-ever y'all been wearing
a monsters about to come alive again

GAWD
GAWD
GAWD
GAWD

Bound 2 is fantastic, if only for the contrasting hook/verse. I love it. I know im in the minority on that one though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Though I don't think Yeezus comes together very well and really sounds like it was caught mid-transition from a serious record to a fun record or vice-versa, I really do feel like half of the album is some of Ye's best material ever. New Slaves, Black Skinhead, On Sight, Guilt Trip, I Am A God, Hold My Liquor strike me as genius at times. Blood On The Leaves is great too, but I don't get the same feeling.

Bound 2 is fantastic, if only for the contrasting hook/verse. I love it. I know im in the minority on that one though.
I like both parts of the songs.. they're just too jarring together. Sometimes I want one part to rock longer and the other one kicks in. Similarly, I can only listen to one half of m.A.A.d City at a given time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom