• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, Grooveline isn't really a bad track at all. It's just the placement of the album it almost kills the mood. Kinda knocks you out of the experience.

JohnDoe

Banned
I'm In It, Black Skinhead, Blood on the Leaves. Shit I would argue Bound 2 is the worst track on the album.

Agreed, the vocals are fucking awful, lazy sampling and the track is completely out of place for the album it was on.
And "a good girl is worth a thousand bitches" made me cringe so hard.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Agreed, the vocals are fucking awful, lazy sampling and the track is completely out of place for the album it was on.
And "a good girl is worth a thousand bitches" made me cringe so hard.
Most Ye lyrics are bad

overcast

A lot of what I mentioned are personal classics more than anything.

GKMC is pretty much a complete classic. This genre is strangely obsessed with that word. Like things have to be named classic to be considered great.

HiiiLife

And how do you feel about ratings = classics? For example, MMLP is rated lower than any Kanye album I believe, yet wouldn't take any of Ye's albums over it. That ain't even a biased Em post either. And I love The College Dropout. Lol.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What qualifies as a classic to you guys?

An album that I can throw on at anytime and it changes my mood. It has to bring me back to the point of time when I heard it, encapsulate that time and still sound engaging and fresh after many listens. It has to have an influence on the game. It has to have something behind it outside of just a collection of interesting singles, some cohesion or theme that runs throughout, even if that theme is shallow.

And how do you feel about ratings = classics? For example, MMLP is rated lower than any Kanye album I believe, yet wouldn't take any of Ye's albums over it. That ain't even a biased Em post either. And I love The College Dropout. Lol.

Rated by who? And no, they factor precisely zero for what I consider a classic, but it can definitely tell you that the rest of the word thinks you're wrong. If I hated Illmatic, it would be pretty presumptuous of me to not admit that it's a classic, even if it wasn't for me.

An album that I can throw on at anytime and it changes my mood. It has to bring me back to the point of time when I heard it, encapsulate that time and still sound engaging and fresh after many listens. It has to have an influence on the game. It has to have something behind it outside of just a collection of interesting singles, some cohesion or theme that runs throughout, even if that theme is shallow.

This. Otherwise, just enjoy your great albums bro. Don't need to be a classic for you to enjoy it.

HiiiLife

Rated by who? And no, they factor precisely zero for what I consider a classic, but it can definitely tell you that the rest of the word thinks you're wrong. If I hated Illmatic, it would be pretty presumptuous of me to not admit that it's a classic, even if it wasn't for me.

Metacritic.
*raise flame shield*

Esch

Banned
I actually think a lot of Ye's lyrics are underrated. Hi delivery always induced some kind of distaste, but s lot of the content evokes what it sets out to do.

his lyrical content is always simple platitude catchphrase grabbing, and always has been. when he's trying to be deep about politics, history and culture, he sounds like an 8th grader going through Wikipedia.

HiiiLife

Some combination of 'really great album' with 'can go back and revisit in a year and continue to do so'

This. Otherwise, just enjoy your great albums bro. Don't need to be a classic for you to enjoy it.

Gotta have like a max 8:2 Good to bad ratio.

agreed

cant have filler.

I feel like you should be able to listen to the whole album without skipping to be truely classic

Hard to say

One is being able to listen to most the album without skipping

I feel it. Was just curious, lurking other forums had me wanting to ask that question.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Metacritic.
*raise flame shield*

Eh. That's popular opinion. And the rap genre in particular was/is very influenced by dollars and vendettas influencing review scores. And then what about albums that are slow burners that didn't reach mass status until after their release was far behind? Look at say, 808s. I'm not a fan, but again, enough people love that album to the point where I have to admit it's just not for me. But when it came out it was very divisive. Now it's pretty beloved.

Eh. That's popular opinion. And the rap genre in particular was/is very influenced by dollars and vendettas influencing review scores. And then what about albums that are slow burners that didn't reach mass status until after their release was far behind? Look at say, 808s. I'm not a fan, but again, enough people love that album to the point where I have to admit it's just not for me. But when it came out it was very divisive. Now it's pretty beloved.

Fantastic album

There are two types of classic albums: classic albums, and personal classic albums. We seem to be talking about actual classic albums right now.

An album being really good doesn't make it a classic. You have to look at its impact, which is why I'm hesitant to call anything released super recently a "classic." The Blueprint had an undeniable impact on hip hop for instance. Yes, me and 36 Chambers will never stop pointing out that RZA birthed the soul sample style, but Kanye/Just Blaze popularized it.

College Dropout nearly completely changed the soundscape of rap music. Before that the only non gangster/party rap on the radio was Eminem. That album spawned the careers of Lupe Fiasco, Kid Cudi, J Cole, and a host of other rappers. I can't stand Graduation, but there's no denying it opened the door for a lot of the EDM shit you hear nonstop on urban and pop radio today.

What impact will Yeezus have? I doubt it'll have much, if any. I think it's an amazing album but are rappers gonna start rapping over industrial shit? Probably not. GKMC has received universal acclaim, is it a classic? Probably, but I want to wait and see where hip hop goes. A lot of people claimed GKMC was gonna change the game by making rappers try to release their own masterpieces - like when The Beatles released Sgt. Pepper and everyone tried to make their own version. Well a year later most major rap releases have been meh or bad, from J Cole to Jay Z. So I'm gonna wait.

--------

Personal classics: I think Covert Coup and Pilot Wings are classics. In a few years we might even be able to argue at least one is a legit classic, considering both are blueprints for modern stoner rap. Likewise I think XXX is a classic album and easily the best of the drugged out "swag" rap movement today.

Esch

Banned
Theming your album about being butthurt about being dumped by a video ho qualifies as some good introspection now

Damn, no 36 chambers but sometimes I smh at being a 90s babby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom