• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So? I'm not even sure why you brought up RUN DMC or 16 years olds of today. I said nothing about people not mentioning albums today makes them not classics. So you lost me there

Because if a classic has to have a large time span (1 year, 10 years and 30 years have all been dropped on this page) then there aren't any classics. Certainly not in the 10-30 year time frame, if we then have to couple it with an album that still resonates with a younger audience. Time is an arbitrary designation. If an album is still being called classic after the couple weeks of hype around major releases dies down by a large portion of people who have listened to it, it's probably a classic.

And it's not like people sit around and go "is this a classic...hmm...nah, it's just really great. Guess I'll trashbin it now. Only classics in MY playlists."

iavi

Because if a classic has to have a large time span (1 year, 10 years and 30 years have all been dropped on this page) then there aren't any classics. Certainly not in the 10-30 year time frame, if we then have to couple it with an album that still resonates with a younger audience. Time is an arbitrary designation. If an album is still being called classic after the couple weeks of hype around major releases dies down by a large portion of people who have listened to it, it's probably a classic.
"

There's a merit to being able to transcend generational taste shifts, though.

You are missing the point. I wasn't saying time is what determines what makes a classic, I think you are mistaking me for what Thabiz said. I'm talking about the impact of an album. I said maybe it will take GKMC 10 years(which was a joke too btw) in order to see the IMPACT and INFLUENCE. THat's a big difference.

30 years was a complete joke btw. Can't believe you took that serious

iavi

You are missing the point. I wasn't saying time is what determines what makes a classic, I think you are mistaking me for what Thabiz said. I'm talking about the impact of an album. I said maybe it will take GKMC 10 years in order to see the IMPACT and INFLUENCE. THat's a big difference.

in that case, impact is usually seen much quicker. Look at all the Flockaveli-lites that dropped after that megaton. We're still feeling the effects of it.

in that case, impact is usually seen much quicker. Look at all the Flockaveli-lights that dropped after that megaton. We're still feeling the effects of it.

I agree and that's why I consider Flockaveli a classic. I can easily look at it and see the influence it had on the game.

overcast

Gun and a Mask makes me believe in Yela again. Better stop that shit.

Wait up. I love Flockaveli, but there is no fucking way in hell that in 10 years people remember that and not Good Kid. Lets be serious. I see the influence, but the impact line is being crossed here. Seems like as long as it had impact it's a classic.

WanderingWind

There's a merit to being able to transcend generational taste shifts, though.

True, but that takes generations to discover. I mean, GRODT will not be listened to in 10 years. Neither will a ton of 90s rap. Illmatic will be taught in colleges and shit.

You are missing the point. I wasn't saying time is what determines what makes a classic, I think you are mistaking me for what Thabiz said. I'm talking about the impact of an album. I said maybe it will take GKMC 10 years in order to see the IMPACT and INFLUENCE. THat's a big difference.

30 years was a complete joke btw. Can't believe you took that serious

Except we're already seeing that influence. And you're not the only person to mention lengthy amounts of time having to pass before being able to label something a classic.

I mean, this is all mostly academic, tbh. It's not that serious. I mean, GKMC is a classic, and you know it deep down, but if you want to wait until Hannukah or whatever to call it that, that's cool.

It is though.

Trunk Muzik Returns is a great album

ASAP Ferg dropped a better album than ASAP ROCKY

Schoolboy Q has released nothing but flops

Eminem recent single sounds like COMPLETE MUSICAL DIARRHEA

Drake gone release AOTY

Danny Brown is going to suck

and GKMC isn't a classic

Bye

iavi

Schoolboy releasing nothing but flops isn't a lie, though. As much as it hurts. If we're to pit the commercial success of weed carrier against weed carrier, ASAP FERG wins. Think about that.

PBY

Banned
So I brought this up earlier.

Track one on Stay Trippy is a recycled beat. It's Travis Scott's "pussy".

This industry is weird.

WanderingWind

they already throwing Q in the bushes.

All joking aside, I'm sort of with Toku. This thread gets way too negative about shit that hasn't even happened yet. Sometimes it turns into a "who can hate in the most hilarious way" circlejerk. Shit ain't healthy for the soul, bros.

Shit, I have Yeezus 2x listens before deciding it sucked balls.

But, I mean, Drake's album is still gonna suck.

iavi

All joking aside, I'm sort of with Toku. This thread gets way too negative about shit that hasn't even happened yet. Sometimes it turns into a "who can hate in the most hilarious way" circlejerk. Shit ain't healthy for the soul, bros.

Nobody was saying Yeezus was going to suck, tho. Total opposite, in fact. Perterboy's hype had bled into all of us a bit, last I remember.

Then I listened to it.

Based off the positive reactions I've seen this thread go at times vs negative. I think I rather have us be negative than positive about shit.

Esch

Banned

you kidding me? internet hate is chicken soup for the soul. It's cathartic in a way that nothing but boozing, whoring, and heavy bag sessions can rival. Hating on the internet lets me go ahead and smile and act like mr. positivity at day after day of soul numbing work. I have no idea how our ancestors dealt with this shit. Probably alcoholism and domestic abuse.

WanderingWind

Based off the positive reactions I've seen this thread go at times vs negative. I think I rather have us be negative than positive about shit.

I feel like you need like, a hug or something after this. Go smoke a bowl, Snoop.

you kidding me? internet hate is chicken soup for the soul. It's cathartic in a way that nothing but boozing, whoring, and heavy bag sessions can rival. Hating on the internet lets me go ahead and smile and act like mr. positivity at day after day of soul numbing work. I have no idea how our ancestors dealt with this shit. Probably alcoholism and domestic abuse.

Fucking knew you worked for the NSA

iavi

I feel like you need like, a hug or something after this. Go smoke a bowl, Snoop.

A bowl when in a bad place isn't good for the soul.

At this rate, I'm pretty confident OLD will suck.

This ones a given.

I feel like Danny XXX was the album Danny was saving up for. He'd release mixtapes and all, but in the back of his mind wanted to write that shit. Then he did. and it was good. But the world can't be created again/lighting doesn't strike twice. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom