• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
One thing that people aren't considering- Kendrick's next album(s). It's not logical, but new albums can tarnish the legacy of past albums.

I mean- Cudi dropped a legit classic IMHO, but the thought of that is laughable in a post WZRD world.

overcast

classics stand the test of time. if it aint being mentioned 10 years from now. it aint a classic.
Just like we don't know if we'll be bumpin it in 10 years, you have no clue how it'll be perceived in a decade.

What is for sure is the album is in the mind of the audience as a "classic", a huge audience too.

thabiz

a2093399071_2.jpg

Jolly Jeff - No Samples Cleared

CLASSIC

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
GKMC ain't a classic yet, but you have folks stay trying to make it seem like one.

That's the problem. You know it's a classic, but you want to wait an arbitrary amount of time because OMG WHAT IF I'M WRONG. Stop worrying about that shit and learn to recognize a spade when your eyes see it, not when enough people say it's a spade so you don't get caught calling it a rake.

That's the problem. You know it's a classic, but you want to wait an arbitrary amount of time because OMG WHAT IF I'M WRONG. Stop worrying about that shit and learn to recognize a spade when your eyes see it, not when enough people say it's a spade so you don't get caught calling it a rake.

It's not one though. It's just a great album. Nothing about it screams classic. Ain't no one in the game changing their ways because they heard GKMC besides Schoolboy Q

HiResDes

I concur. Classics don't have to change the game Tguy, but people do seem to be taking notes on how well structured GKMC is.

I'd also note that "classics" don't have much to do with sales. An album can transform the genre without being a major success. Kool G Rap's career is a testament of that. Your favorite 90s rapper almost certainly was influenced by his albums, even though none of them were big hits. Live and Let Die is still the blueprint for a lot of shit today.

Now here's where imma go into tinfoil territory: I think Beneath The Heavens is a clear classic brehs. When you listen to that album you hear Drake, Cole, Kendrick, all that new wave of introspective shit.

DominoKid

i'm not even sure what kind of influence can be drawn from an album like GKMC. I put it in line w/ MBDTF.

it's classic off the quality alone. everybody knows it. and there's really no need to wait for it.

and i really don't want artists to be influenced by the sound as much as the effort, vision and commitment it takes to make a masterpiece like that.

WanderingWind

It's not one though. It's just a great album. Nothing about it screams classic. Ain't no one in the game changing their ways because they heard GKMC besides Schoolboy Q

I mean, there are still people who think Reasonable Doubt isn't a classic because others did mafioso rap and also Jay made Beach Chairs.

You're in good company. Wrong company, but you're not alone. Stay fighting history brah

i'm not even sure what kind of influence can be drawn from an album like GKMC. I put it in line w/ MBDTF.

it's classic. everybody knows it. and i really don't want artists to be influenced by the sound as much as the effort, vision and commitment it takes to make a masterpiece like that.

that's why it doesn't need to have the word classic attached to it. Because yall think it's really great yall think it should be called a classic?

XXX is certainly my favorite album in the past 5 years but I seee no need to call it a classic

DominoKid

None, that's why it doesn't need to have the word classic on it. Because yall think it's really great yall think it should be called a classic?

XXX is certainly my favorite album in the past 5 years but I seee no need to call it a classic

yes. sometimes albums are that good. GKMC is one of those.

Esch

Banned
Below the Heavens is a classic to me too, but I see no merit in qualitative assessments of influence nor arbitrary arguments about how long people talk about an album. To be honest; I wish the idea of a classic didn't exist so we could just not hold new shit to nebulous, subjective standards....

Nah, people just don't like listening to something unless they can attach the word classic on it. Just enjoy your music brehs, don't have ot be a classic to do that.

KRIT really gone release an album this year? RIP

PBY

Banned
KRIT is nice.

Too bad that KRIT is the kind of dude who has a very specific lane, and he's already hit the celing in that lane.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'd also note that "classics" don't have much to do with sales. An album can transform the genre without being a major success. Kool G Rap's career is a testament of that. Your favorite 90s rapper almost certainly was influenced by his albums, even though none of them were big hits. Live and Let Die is still the blueprint for a lot of shit today.

Now here's where imma go into tinfoil territory: I think Beneath The Heavens is a clear classic brehs. When you listen to that album you hear Drake, Cole, Kendrick, all that new wave of introspective shit.

No One Can Do It Better

Macca

Alright, maybe I was wrong. Shit, haha think the song worked better as a snippet. Damn, Future sounds like a cat getting strangled at the end too.

WanderingWind

Nah, people just don't like listening to something unless they can attach the word classic on it. Just enjoy your music brehs, don't have ot be a classic to do that.

Yeah, Trap Lord really got people calling it classic. You're right.

lol.

KRIT really gone release an album this year? RIP

Has to be next year, or just another mixtape.

No way he releases a sophomore album to end the year off :/

iavi

Then Hip-hop hasn't had a classic yet

Nor has most veins of music since the 8-track

You're a tough sell.

I wouldn't even say that hip-hop is the genre I fuck with most, but even I can say that the genre has albums that go from front to back. Not to say that any of those are Thrillers, except Russian Roulette, but.

Macca

4 months later...

smh KRIT.
Yep. A complete fuck up. Why release it now? Is it album promo or something? Why wasn't the whole track on K.R.I.T? If it's album promo, then that shits gotta be soon, which is just suicide.

Also, 23 coming out in like 2 weeks. Songs gunna be nuts. Trust in MikeWill

iavi

Trap in twenty years is going to be my own personal Duran Duran/ new-wave; that shit I'll swear to my younguns was bank as fuck back in the day, and all will still fuck with it, with a few pretending not to.

Poor Run DMC. Never put out a classic because 16 years never heard of them. :(

Also, I'll be old and probably hate rap then or some shit.

16 year olds did hear of Run DMC though. Back when they came out. Also, I've heard a bus filled with kids literally rap an entire Run DMC song believe it or not.

That's the point of me saying 30 years

WanderingWind

16 year olds did hear of Run DMC though. Back when they came out. Also, I've heard a bus filled with kids literally rap an entire Run DMC song believe it or not.

That's the point of me saying 30 years

Right. And if you ask a 16 year old today to drop a single Kane line, they'd look at you like you were retarded. Old school rap to them is MAYBE, MAYBE Pac and Biggie. But yeah, I work with HS kids a lot. They think College Dropout and GRODT were "back in the day" classics.

If your metric for classic means that it has to be rapped in full by errybody in proximity(and that song was Walk This Way, stop playing) there there have been...zero classic albums and maybe 5-10 classic songs.

sign to def jam brehs...

How do you do a song with Future and not get a video out ASAP? Also someone should have heard Good 2getha and realized it's a big song in need of Kelly Rowland, not some American Idol reject.

Right. And if you ask a 16 year old today to drop a single Kane line, they'd look at you like you were retarded. Old school rap to them is MAYBE, MAYBE Pac and Biggie. But yeah, I work with HS kids a lot. They think College Dropout and GRODT were "back in the day" classics.

If your metric for classic means that it has to be rapped in full by errybody in proximity(and that song was Walk This Way, stop playing) there there have been...zero classic albums and maybe 5-10 classic songs.

So? I'm not even sure why you brought up RUN DMC or 16 years olds of today honestly. I said nothing about people not mentioning old albums today makes them not classics. So you lost me there. I'm just saying 16 year olds do know RUN DMC, you are the one who brought them up out of nowhere. I would never deny albums in the 80s and 90s as not being classics because they aren't mentioned nowadays.

CRS

I can recite a goat chorus though:

It's Tricky to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that's right on time, it's Tricky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom