• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
With all the hype Ross still couldn't go platinum, gfid's sales are probably neck and neck with Born Sinner. Not bad but definitely not what you would expect the way Ross stunts.

GFID wasn't a great album

Ross actually uses his resources to make his other artist good

IrishNinja

Dre made it some how...

haha, now i know you fuckin with me, comparing a mid-80s NWA legend with ross decades later
i dunno, you definitely know more about coming up in the scene than i do, but did Big have enough buzz to come up without puff? i remember hearing stuff about him in the source earlier (i wanna say they blew him up either in unsigned hype or quotables), but i can at least say stuff like that baller rental for the Juicy video prolly wouldn'tve gone done without puffy

Detox

Sometimes I just want an rapper to spit no gimmicks. Blissful raspy flow.

I have to say I know Dre says he doesn't like rapping, ghostwriting aside he does damn good at it. Dj Premier said something like he would love to have Dre do a cypher just because he is good at it, so many different writers but it still has a Dr Dre feel to it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
haha, now i know you fuckin with me, comparing a mid-80s NWA legend with ross decades later
i dunno, you definitely know more about coming up in the scene than i do, but did Big have enough buzz to come up without puff? i remember hearing stuff about him in the source earlier (i wanna say they blew him up either in unsigned hype or quotables), but i can at least say stuff like that baller rental for the Juicy video prolly wouldn'tve gone done without puffy

What are you trying to say? Dre has always been soft... punked by Eazy... punked by Knight...

Biggie got fucked by Puffy no matter how it is sliced

Bad lyrics great beat = good song
Bad lyrics amazing beat = anthem of the summer
Great / amazing lyrics, bad or average beat = 4/10

Doesn't make sense.

I'll expand on this and fix it for real life application.

Bad verses, bad hook, great beat = Great beat
Bad verses, good hook, great beat = Solid radio song, short shelf life
Bad verses, amazing hook, amazing beat = Potential anthem
Passable / catchy / good verses, amazing hook, amazing beat = Anthem
Great / amazing verses, amazing hook, amazing beat = Classic Anthem
Great / amazing lyrics, bad or average beats = Might as well be a capella

You can't get jiggy to lyrics. If you could, rappity rappers would make a killing putting out 17 albums a day and lighting up the charts with Now That's What I Call Def Poetry Jam '99. That's just how it works.

IrishNinja

What are you trying to say? Dre has always been soft... punked by Eazy... punked by Knight...

Biggie got fucked by Puffy no matter how it is sliced

right right, im sayin could you have seen biggie come up without puff? with your dre examples there, it feels like - and maybe im thinkin of a local DJ friend of mine - that happens when you get a meeker dude in the scene who needs someone else to handle/collect the money when shit gets rough, cause that aint you..and of course they shave off the top, cause they can. i could be off but ive seen that.

but do you think big would've been able to come up without puffy backing him? cause i remember video interviews in the day with big, mack & puff in a kinda ghetto lookin house talkin bout how they were gonna blow up, bad boy would be the next big thing etc...it looked like dudes were letting him do most of the talking/hype, cause he's good at that and they were freshmen

i mean you could make the exact same situation with lil wayne and birdman, but i dunno enough about them to say if weezy couldve blown up without him. the way he stays letting dude eat so well off him makes me wanna say no

You can't get jiggy to lyrics. If you could, rappity rappers would make a killing putting out 17 albums a day and lighting up the charts with Now That's What I Call Def Poetry Jam '99. That's just how it works.

goddamn, gafhop quotables twitter cannot keep up with this week's entries, for real

rappity rap doesn't = amazing lyrics.

You know what I mean, man. Lyrics can't carry bad or average production for a lot of people, that's just how it works. A rapper could spaz and rip some $2 soundclick beat to shreds on some grown folk rap explaining how to pay your car insurance and why quantum mechanics work in the same bar, but at the end of the day it would just be a 2004 mixtape track.

Meanwhile, MCHG. #SUMMERCLASSIC

I'm not saying I like it, but that's the industry.

Grzi

hip hop right now is very influenced by drug culture, EDM and all kinds've bullshit, let's stop pretending trendsetting is an essential component of a classic for reasons i outlined in my last huge-ass post man

I'd say influence is a huge component of almost every classic album, and I don't think BMF had a negative influence since a lot of artists make great songs with the trap sound.

doubt it, the old school heads who gave a shit about that still do, they're the ones callin him officer ricky on sites none of us care about

Exactly. No one cares about those dudes anymore.

even so, that's a pretty weak gimmick to latch onto, especially since it'd belong on something closer to Port of Miami

Nope, since people first found out about it after Trilla dropped.

I am a fan...

But BMF wasn't his sound

Oh I know, but people will associate that sound with Rozay thanks to the song, and it really is one of the main reasons that sound is so huge today.

I actually don't believe Teflon Don is a classic, since i think that it takes time for something to be considered a classic in the first place, but if we're going to call XXX and GKMC classic albums, Teflon Don has more right to be considered one than those two.

Esch

Banned
I like it. Pleasant surprise finding it here.

Not really surprising, it's on Fool's Gold and most people ITT listened to Blue Chips..

random news: Miley might be on the Black Skinhead remix (lololol)

Downloading that new Fat Joe mixtape, I actually hear good things about it. Expecting some flabby DJ Premier beats, but w/e.

IrishNinja

I'd say influence is a huge component of almost every classic album, and I don't think BMF had a negative influence since a lot of artists make great songs with the trap sound.

eh, yall are free to have your own criteria, i just think its nice when influence comes in but not essential. youve got sounds that were well established before someone came in and did it better, that doesnt negate them from the list...half of this thread was calling GKMC one, you think it's influencing stuff? maybe down the road?

Exactly. No one cares about those dudes anymore.

and i know its easy to put that on 50 failing to ja rule officer ricky with that attack, but i still think in the wake of him falling off you had dirty south & other stuff like young money that took the limelight off gangsta/real shit again personally

Nope, since people first found out about it after Trilla dropped.

i stand corrected, but point stands: if i was to say a ghostface album was classic partly because he dropped mase around that time, i don't see how it'd be relevant to the discussion, however funny

Grzi

i stand corrected, but point stands: if i was to say a ghostface album was classic partly because he dropped mase around that time, i don't see how it'd be relevant to the discussion, however funny

Because that didn't have any type of influence on hip hop fans and their perception of hip hop artists.
Ross dropped another great album after Trilla (Deeper than Rap) which got ignored by most dudes because people were still concerned about their favorite artists being real. The fact that dude (or should I say, his career) survived being continuously punked by 50 simply by dropping quality music, music good enough that people stopped caring if he was a cop or not says something about the quality of Teflon Don.

Esch

Banned
Because that didn't have any type of influence on hip hop fans and their perception of hip hop artists.
Ross dropped another great album after Trilla (Deeper than Rap) which got ignored by most dudes because people were still concerned about their favorite artists being real. The fact that dude (or should I say, his career) survived being continuously punked by 50 simply by dropping quality music, music good enough that people stopped caring if he was a cop or not says something about the quality of Teflon Don.

lol at your narrative of Ross shattering the mystique of the gangster when shit like this:

3676677362_56e3be0066_o.jpg

already happened.

Esch

Banned
Hey this Fat Joe mixtape is actually pretty damn good. I'm enjoying it a lot. I needed some grimey East Coast naughties sounding shit. The beats are great (9th's terrible drum work aside), and Joe's flow is pretty intact though it starts out kinda shaky/wack in the beginning. Action also dropped a sick verse on Your Honor too.

kamspy

Grab that Slime Flu 4. Khaled signed Vado, so the beats are good.

Vado sound like Cam, Juelez and Jones all skeeted in the same chick one night and Vado popped out 9 months later.

Still, I'll take that Harlem Dipset sound where I can get it.

Rapper impersonations are always great. Especially when people do it accurately like that thread. I'm dying at the random food references and "one word bars."

Multiple sources familiar with the situation told Complex it went down like this:

1. Diddy was visibly intoxicated.
2. He tried to confront Kendrick over the "King of New York" claim in his "Control" freestyle.
3. Diddy allegedly attempted to pour a drink on Kendrick, and J. Cole intervened.
4. The two started arguing and Cole allegedly put his hands on Diddy, which then led to problems between their respective crews.
5. After a brief scuffle, both crews separated.
http://www.complex.com/music/2013/08/j-cole-diddy-fight

haha if true I give dap to Cole. Diddy being a snake as usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom