• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mass Effect 1 had a great atmosphere, music (vangelis light) and story, but everything else about it was terrible. Bad, blotchy graphics even on PC, terrible combat, inventory system that makes no sense, bad/monotonous loot, the worst vehicle segments i have ever played in a game (seriously, worst).... ME2 had better combat and grafx, more interesting environments and side stories, better weapon and armor design in that they gave you a sense of progression AND variety. The only bad thing is planet scanning. I don't really care that its more of a TPS, it plays and feels better and more satisfying. Still havent played three though. I came across the ending accidentally and said whats the point.

Though I think it definitely loses the feel of exploration, that was inevitable so long as you had a sequel that had to adhere to a storyline. It's hard to recreate say, going to Noveria again, but I always felt like ME3 was what they wanted the mechanics of ME to be in the first place, they just weren't as refined back then. The combat was leagues ahead of it's predecessors and a lot of the purported "exploration" in ME1 was boring, scrounging through desolate plots of land for a briefcase or Geth Building 01 #49353. ME1 just sort of sucked for combat and they were just spinning their wheels when it came to stuff like gun customization, etc.

EDIT: Esch knows what's up. Seriously if you go back to ME1 now it's borderline unplayable, no hyperbole either. I don't know how I was so enamoured with it at that time. Dat new-gen hype.

Oh I'm not gonna disagree that the mechanics and UI got better, Mass Effect 1 feels terrible. The issue is that i never thought after ME1 that I would be looking to this series for good gunplay, or good action. They basically took everything I loved about ME 1 (exploration, mood, music, tone, mystery, isolation, adventure) and either ruined them, or got rid of them completely to streamline the experience. Plus the fanservice got over the top with the female characters + relationships, and and 70s pulp sci-fi tone was lost in favor of anime sci-fi and space magic.

I'm not saying the sequels are bad, but they lost me.

jbxcrQNqmGYop7.png
i hate that filter man. It makes scenes too damn dark. I hate that it's in the Battlefield games too, scust.

IDK man, everyone has so much hate for filters and messing with color timing. I don't have an issue with it at all, and I think it looks way more interesting than just filming under normal conditions. The Michael Bay-ness of that video is definitely apparent, but it's not the look of Bay's work I've had issues with.

Samk

I want the shooting from 2&3 but the design of 1. Like playing space cop was way more fun to me than playing a bunch of gears rooms and side quests that involved finding trinkets on main quest missions.

I'll say it too: I liked the idea of the mako. Wish it was a lunar lander though

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I liked the song better when it was JT ft/ JT. The video version doesn't sound as epic.

Fuck the M.Bay visual scheme. Some of the visuals were nice, but the video being overly saturated was terribad. edit: Bay does a lot better with making his characters stand out via wardrobe, and that wasn't present here...at all.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I want the shooting from 2&3 but the design of 1. Like playing space cop was way more fun to me than playing a bunch of gears rooms and side quests that involved finding trinkets on main quest missions.

I'll say it too: I liked the idea of the mako. Wish it was a lunar lander though
Mako was a big reason the sequels lost a bit of personality that I think Net_Wrecker is alluding to.

The Mako was this kind-of utility vehicle that was engineered to be the best of the fucking best alongside the Normandy (which is a GOAT contender Sci-Fi ship design IMO). Eventually as the series went on, you became space jesus and the character/environment design lost a bit of that vulnerability which made things a bit more dangerous/mysterious and uncertain. In ME1 I had to fight to climb that mountain with my Mako, while in ME2 and 3 you had that cruiser thing that was damn near invincible and half as cool looking.

I've been saying this on Gaming side for a while: The second they got rid of the Mako instead of improving that experience, I realized exactly what the series was trying to be. I don't know if it was EA's influence, or Bioware losing their balls, or chasing that CoD money, but they changed it for the worse IMO. By the time you meet characters like Miranda with her sexed up camera angles, and the final boss in ME2, it's like......What am I even playing anymore? Is this for me, or horny cosplayers on the internet?

Esch

Banned
yall are telling me you enjoyed driving that piece of shyt space cart up randomly generated and colored mountains and shooting little squiggles in the distance

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

Samk

Mako was a big reason the sequels lost a bit of personality that I think Net_Wrecker is alluding to.

The Mako was this kind-of utility vehicle that was engineered to be the best of the fucking best alongside the Normandy (which is a GOAT contender Sci-Fi ship design IMO). Eventually as the series went on, you became space jesus and the character/environment design lost a bit of that vulnerability which made things a bit more dangerous/mysterious and uncertain. In ME1 I had to fight to climb that mountain with my Mako, while in ME2 and 3 you had that cruiser thing that was damn near invincible and half as cool looking.

If we're playing back seat designer imagine entering orbit and blasting down to the planet.

Like I was messing with kerbal space program and that stuff is just feels crazy. I agree, though, the spaceship in me is goat.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
yall are telling me you enjoyed driving that piece of shyt space cart up randomly generated and colored mountains and shooting little squiggles in the distance

i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif
Not exactly, but when it was used in actual missions it was kinda dope to have. It's replacement was sort-of a jack of all trades and the Mako felt like I was driving a space APC.

TBH the resource gathering shit has been a huge problem throughout the entire trilogy. They tried 3 different approaches and none of them worked particularly well. By the end of each game I've got this compulsive addiction to a minigame I spend more time on than the actual game. Not cool. I don't even know how to fix that outside of removing that entire resource thing, but that dumbs down a lot of the progression stuff even further.

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/i-feel-like-im-taking-crazy-pills.gif

It's not about the execution. Yeah it was janky, and yeah it was frustrating, but it's about the potential. They could've fixed the Mako in ME2 and made exploration better, they could've kept that danger of the unknown and the universe in general, they could kept that sense of isolation, they could kept the Vangelis-like synthy score, they could've stayed away from sexy robots and magic, they could've stayed away from Space Jesus, etc. etc.

Detox

Do we know Nas is getting that record?

Timbo on revolt tv

"I told Jay this, 'The person that gets me from hip-hop now, the album's going to be phenomenal. That's Nas. Nas got a song, right now, with him, Jay and Justin that's completely stupid. It's called 'Sinatra In The Sands' and Justin sounds like Frank Sinatra. Jay was like, 'Man, what'd you do to that record?' And I was like, 'No way, no way. Thank y'all. This is it!'

That plus frank ocean x hit boy track the album is going plat

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I think most of what people didn't like on BBC was Pharrell's doing, he's probably the one that asked for more cowbell. Still a fun record.

SoilBreak

Banned
It's not about the execution. Yeah it was janky, and yeah it was frustrating, but it's about the potential. They could've fixed the Mako in ME2 and made exploration better, they could've kept that danger of the unknown and the universe in general, they could kept that sense of isolation, they could kept the Vangelis-like synthy score, they could've stayed away from sexy robots and magic, they could've stayed away from Space Jesus, etc. etc.

Pretty much, especially about bioware could've fix and expand exploration with the mako.

codhand

so people who disagree about me3 ending can burn in hell, but the hate isnt overblown? ok.

i want to like me1 the best, but shitty gameplay, and 30 second elevator rides assure that's impossible

best time i had was playing renegade female in 2

music in me1 is GOAT tho

so people who disagree about me3 ending can burn in hell, but the hate isnt overblown? ok.

:lol. I know enzo was just being a jive turkey, but the amount of comments like that when the ending outrage was going on was embarrassing. Then games journalists teamed up against the fans and it got more embarrassing. That was one of the major slaps in my face this gen that the industry has a lot of growing up to do.

Also more confirmation that the "anonymous asshole on the internet" stereotype is 100000000% accurate. That's why Twitter is both amazing and one of the worst things to happen to society.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
B.I.G. back at the Breakfast Club.

Said Kendrick had been asking to get on one of his songs for a while, and Kendrick asked for him to send his verse first. Also, probably a video being shot for Switch Up. Also mentions him and Kanye kinda had a period recently where they weren't talking and stuff. I wonder what it was in the last interview that made Kanye catch feelings?

dead @ "Who IS Papoose?!"

What's with the ridiculous fishing screenshot?
codhand got a different coloured ME3 ending from the rest of us and decided to enlighten us.

PBY

Banned
Any of yall read the Grantland piece today on Action Bronson? Shit was one of the best hip hop pieces of the year.

Seriously, grantland writes 3-4 rap features a year, and they run circles around Complex and co.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Lil Poopy. Kid's like a 10 year old rapper with parents that neglect him so French Montana starts hanging out with him and giving him stuff and mentoring him, but also doing kind of irresponsible shit like taking him to the club and encouraging him to write coke raps, etc. But anyway, the kid's parents got charged with neglect or something and French didn't want to get involved (probably because he didn't want to get in trouble for taking him to the club and shit) so he was just like fuck you, kid, and left him cold.

Basically exploited a neglected kid, who thought he was seriously being mentored, for laughs and then kicked him to the curb.

CPS is no joke

It's not like the movies where a stranger can just take over for the parents

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
wow thanks for that dom, needed to wake up to that

also i cannot imagine playing ME1 right now, it prolly aged like poop though i dug it in 2007, ship missions aside

time-honored american tradition

haha, dead

ME1 aged fine...

Pacing is super slow compared to 2 and 3 but still one of the better games of this gen

Esch

Banned
how much do you guys wanna bet Riff Raff has out and out raped a chick

yes i know other rappers we like in this thread are also likely guilty of that

mooooose

WHO IS THE IDIOT WHO SAID THE NEW CAM SUCKS? HOLY FUCK. THE BEAT COULD BE MIXED BETTER, THAT SAMPLE SOUNDS DOPE, BUT THE DRUMS ARE CLASSIC CAM AND THAT DELIVERY IS SO CAM.

SO FUCKING GREAT. GODDAMN. CAM JUST DESTROYED A TRACK. GIVE ME MORE.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I havent read the story (at work), but is it so bad that it would "ruin" Riff's "image"... I mean... come on.

COME ON.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom