• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

tumblr_lif8omojMr1qebhzho1_400.jpg

HiiiLife

Which would y'all choose between Capital Punishment and Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous? Gotta go with L only because I've personally delved into his songs and freestyles a lot more. I need to discover more Pun. Let me work on that right now.

JohnDoe

Banned
Straight spiitin though fam. He was way more vicious as Sense. Dude was doing songs with Canibus and Big Pun, and shining as bright as those cats.

Idk, he was pretty nasty on Like Water For Chocolate, still his overall (production, rapping etc.) best album to me.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
...this is some elaborate prank like when y'all all decided to pretend to like Lil B, right? You're not seriously prescribing 4 (FOUR!) classics to Doom, right?

Esch

Banned
...this is some elaborate prank like when y'all all decided to pretend to like Lil B, right? You're not seriously prescribing 4 (FOUR!) classics to Doom, right?

Dead ass serious; all quality works with different rapping styles, themes, characters played, and production. Classics. 5 mics.

the only debatable one (of the 4) is MM...Food. the other 3 are rock solid locks.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Vaudeville Villain is so good. I still argue it's his best work.
Idk, he was pretty nasty on Like Water For Chocolate, still his overall (production, rapping etc.) best album to me.

LWFC is dope. He still had the Sense aura about him.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Honestly, words have failed me. I have nothing to say to people who think DOOM produced 4 classic albums.

Monotoned fuck doesn't even have a great song, let along a great album, let alone a classic.

naw

Smh

Madvillainy
Operation Doomsday
MM.. FOOD
Vaudeville Villain

And I would put DANGERDOOM there too and Take me to Your Leader on a good day.
breh are you serious

MM Food and DANGERDOOM are just good tapes. They're no where near classic

Vaudeville Villain and Doomsday are garbage (prolly will get shitted on for saying Doomsday is garbage)

ded at Take Me to Your Leader. Might as well say Born Like This is classic too

HiiiLife

Well now I feel like a fool because not only do I have the minorities opinion for liking Bone Thugs more than the Wu but I like L's work more too. Lol. Shit.

HiResDes

Some people might claim Atmosphere has multiple classics and I wouldn't be mad at them...I just don't have the ear for Atmosphere nor Aesop, though I really really want to like Skelethon.

Esch

Banned
breh are you serious

MM Food and DANGERDOOM are just good tapes. They're no where near classic

Vaudeville Villain and Doomsday are garbage (prolly will get shitted on for saying Doomsday is garbage)

ded at Take Me to Your Leader. Might as well say Born Like This is classic too

The production on TMtYL is dope, the song concepts aren't there though.

The bolded is just straight incorrect. Vaudeville Villain is him at his least abstract and most expository. It's an amazing album.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wish I could "get" Doom. It just comes off quirky to me rather than something I can appreciate or digest and enjoy. I just get the sizzling on the surface with a hint of what's below.

kamspy

I've never finished a Doom album. Hadn't even heard of him until GAF HOP. Just never clicked. Maybe someone can hip me.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Why even decide to choose between Pun and L, though? They don't even go after the same demographic. I love both, though Pun is my #1 hands down, versus anybody.

IrishNinja

see this is what i wanted, ya'll got some interesting shit goin now

I believe he has it in him still to drop a dope album nowadays. Wish he would do it

for real? i havent heard the ruler in a minute, was just bumping behind bars and that shit he did with outkast the other day...what's the most recent we've heard from dude?

okay this is the part where ima just leave the names of stuff id like ya'll to list as their definitive works cause ive either slept or only heard singles/etc and havent given them enough of an honest spin in my mind

Killa Sin
Ras Kass
Vast Aire

My personal favorite MC list:
6. Ishmael Butler
8. MC Dalek

(i spent a lotta time with blowout comb but that's it)

Kurupt
Pimp C
3-6 Mafia
Alkaholiks
Heltah Skeltah
The Beatnuts

Pharoache Monche

Smh

Madvillainy
Operation Doomsday
MM.. FOOD
Vaudeville Villain

And I would put DANGERDOOM there too and Take me to Your Leader on a good day.

ah, was wondering which was the last one...i dont recall thinking Operation was on that level but i should revisit it. i still bump DANGERDOOM but no way is that classic

Fuck I left off Snoop Dogg...Dude is lowkey a favorite.

see Snoop would totally fit my favorite list if i cheated & said like "from deep cover to doggfather" or so, after that i still love dude but he does nothing for me on the mic most times. that 92 era and for years after though, he felt untouchable for me

Which would y'all choose between Capital Punishment and Lifestylez ov da Poor & Dangerous? Gotta go with L only because I've personally delved into his songs and freestyles a lot more. I need to discover more Pun. Let me work on that right now.

damn, see i know L gets his props but i heard his tape around when i caught Black Moon finally and neither totally clicked, likely cause i was already on 36/illmatic's nuts by then. also adding to the list

Ghostface
Nas
2pac
DOOM
Kool G Rap
KRS-One
Biggie
Scarface
Rakim
Mos Def

Top 5 is all about consistency to me. Album wise, Ghostface and DOOM are arguably the most consistent rappers of all time, with perhaps KRS in third. In terms of overall skill, Nas and G Rap have been rapping circles around dudes since the late 80s; in fact they're the two best rappers on the list, with Nas being the best lyricist. But I give Ghost the crown because he has three classic albums while Nas has two. Plus when you count the Wu shit, Ghost's output looks even more impressive.

HiiiLife

Why even decide to choose between Pun and L, though? They don't even go after the same demographic. I love both, though Pun is my #1 hands down, versus anybody.

Nah scrolled through both albums today and decided to throw it up and see which y'all would vote for because I dig both. It was more of a question asking who y'all preferred more than anything.

IrishNinja

I'm Not a Player > Still Not a Player.

I'm not is a great track but for me > I'm a player

Well now I feel like a fool because not only do I have the minorities opinion for liking Bone Thugs more than the Wu but I like L's work more too. Lol. Shit.

dont feel bad, CRS is on that short bus with you tho

Top 5 is all about consistency to me. Album wise, Ghostface and DOOM are arguably the most consistent rappers of all time, with perhaps KRS in third.

see KRS gets nom'd all over but i used to figure it was that Run DMC well-i-gotta-say-this type vote, but which of his post BDP era albums do you hold up for such consistency?

GAF-Hop |OT9| DOOMed to argue about what a classic is for all eternity

the struggle is real people

see KRS gets nom'd all over but i used to figure it was that Run DMC well-i-gotta-say-this type vote, but which of his post BDP era albums do you hold up for such consistency?

Return Of The Boom Bap? I don't see how anyone can not like that album. His self titled is amazing, and I Got Next is great.

naw

The production on TMtYL is dope, the song concepts aren't there though.

The bolded is just straight incorrect. Vaudeville Villain is him at his least abstract and most expository. It's an amazing album.
The only beat from TMtYL that I thought was great was Next Levels

I literally know zero DOOM fans who think Vaudeville Villain and TMtYL are good albums. They're not classics breh

kamspy

Kurupt
Streetz iz a Mutha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV459vlWVE
If 2001 is the best West Coast G album of the 00's, this is #2 with ease. Slept on c word.

Pimp C
UGK first three albums. Ridin' Dirty in particular. http://youtu.be/Ta6bA99iapw

3-6 Mafia
Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 are their prime IMO http://youtu.be/Th_ie6NiVbU

Alkaholiks

21 and Over (EP, best work) Coast 2 Coast and Likwidation are good too. The Tash solo LP on Def Jam is also really good and slept on. http://youtu.be/qSwKOn1Dxh4

Heltah Skeltah

Sean P and Ruck. A group that should have dropped multiple classics but didn't because of BCC shitty managment. http://youtu.be/ByEoGi5XOwA

The Beatnuts

The entirety of Musical Massacre, Take it or Squeeze It http://youtu.be/JkLZnRi8rTk

Irish, if you take nothing else from the internet today, make it a god damn point to listen to Beatnuts - Musical Massacre tonight or tomorrow. I can't believe you're not already hip. It's directly your type of shit.

HiResDes

Dalek Essentials:
1. Abandoned Language
2. From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots
3. Absence

Ishmael Butler Essentials:
1. Diggable Planets Discography
2. Black Up
3. Of Light
4. Shabazz Palaces ST

Pharoahe Monch Essentials:
1. Organized Konfusion Discography