• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Novid

Banned
I'm pretty sure the slam dunks like the Skrillex track will see the light of day eventually, maybe Cruel Winter, etc.

It's not that Kanye wanted to not make hits- I think he wanted to make these weird sounding tracks and MAKE them hits. Make those sounds more mainstream.

And radio or not it's kiiiinda working. I mean, 2 days out and bam his songs on a trailer.

pete, if kanye wanted to make a anti-soul album and make these hits, he needed more metal influence. He isn't fit to do a darkwave album.

Detox

Life is Good just got really exposed as a B level album.

BL3kMpY.gif

Esch

Banned
i think we can all agree Life is Good is a B-/C+ level album. It's like a spam sandwich on the best bread you've ever had. Beginning and end are mostly dope with some missteps but the middle is straight ass cheeks.

not bad for a 4th or 5th best album though.

i think we can all agree Life is Good is a B-/C+ level album. It's like a spam sandwich on the best bread you've ever had. Beginning and end are mostly dope with some missteps but the middle is straight ass cheeks.

I agree the reason it got XXL and other accolades was because Nas finally made a good album with some great production. Last time he had a album like that was God's Son.

EloquentM

aka Mannny

I'd give it a solid b honestly.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Life is Good got boring after about a week for me. I really enjoyed about half of it and then just lost interest after the 6th or 7th listen through.

Trey

Life is Good was excellent. Is excellent. A vibrant return to form for Nas after a string of losses. It executes what it wants to do to a great degree - in my opinion more than Ye trying to push a new sound with Yeezus.

Basically an album full of Let Nas Down level beasting. It's all anyone wants; although I can see how some would find that tiring over a full album.

Thought it was C level day one.

lets not get ahead of ourselves and call God's Son a good album now

Get Down
Last Real N Alive
Made You Look
I Can
Book of Rhymes
Revolutionary Warfare
Mastermind

Were all decent. If he switched up some production and cut it to 10 tracks it could have been a solid album. Gets way more hate then it deserves.

Life Is Good was aaaaaaaaaaight. Not even top 10 material from 2012. I really liked a few tracks on there, but the rest of it left me a little bored. I agree with Esch that the middle was not good, and the end was only good if you account for the deluxe edition tracks. At least that's how I remember it. Maybe I should play it again to make sure.

Distant Relatives >>> Life Is Good

Detox

Get Down
Last Real N Alive
Made You Look
I Can
Book of Rhymes
Revolutionary Warfare
Mastermind

Were all decent. If he switched up some production and cut it to 10 tracks it could have been a solid album. Gets way more hate then it deserves.

I fucks with Dance (hugely underrated), Heaven (love the flow) and his verse on thugz mansion is crazy good.

DR is a classic.

lets not get ahead of ourselves and call God's Son a good album now

Get Down, The Cross, Made You Look, Last Real Nigga Alive, I Can, Thugz Mansion, Revolutionary Warfare, Warrior Song, Dance, Heaven. God's Son is a very solid album despite a couple duds (that horrible Swiss Beats track, Pussy Killah, Zone Out).

Detox

Distant relatives became a classic for me after seeing it live. Sure they had the lights and projections you expect in an arena show but the real stars were Nas, Damien and the Marley's band including the backing singers and hypeman who never stopped swinging that flag. Watching the beats performed with live instruments was incredible and it made me appreciate the energy behind them. The show didn't have one lull and Nas performing one mic while he was back to back with the bongo player sent chills down my spine. The life is good show wasn't as hype as DR. That album is special and while Nas never went to the level we know he is capable I think he was sold throughout with some inspired verses and concepts. The chemistry with Damien is fantastic, as reflected in some of their back and forths. I must say he deserves most of the credit he retained his musical roots while adapting it masterfully for hiphop. I hope they work together as much as I want Nas and Premier to get in the studio.

DominoKid

Illmatic > IWW > Stillmatic > Lost Tapes > i pretend the rest don't exist.

and American Gangster is a bullshit copout of an album from Hov. that shit is beyond contrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom