• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
PATRON ON ICE

smh.gif

Esch

Banned
I agree, BP2 has some soft ass catchy shit.

I don't get why people look back at that shit like some sort of sin. Like, there was a reason people enjoyed it. It got dicks sucked in the club and it went in the whip and you could listen to it at house parties.

manny.png

edit: POP TI was awesome. What You Know was a fukkin classic

to be a Hov stan, you have to be willing to lie to yourself about a few things:
- Jay didn't lose
- Nas isn't a better rapper
- most of his albums don't suck
- his status and legacy isn't largely based off being opportunistic as fuck and marrying Beyonce among other associations
- he hasn't been riding Kanye's coat tails for the better part of 10 years now

folks are in love w/ the myth. not the man or his music.

p937f.gif

kamspy

So in retrospect do you guys think Rocafella or Bravehearts/ill will was the better label?

Nah, for real tho. Biggie and Pac dying was like when Jordan retired. A lot of dec ent dudes got too much shine. Nas is kinda the rap game Vince Carter. Jay was like Kobe. You don't really like seeing him win, and he was kinda doing it against shit competition. Still, the rings are there.

Esch

Banned
if you see lies then point em out.

A lot of it is half truths and distortions though. Like I already said, Jay's lack of depth as an emcee is made up for by his unparalleled breadth. If you know someone more versatile and proven successful at working with different partners... Well, you really dont. Then you talk about Jay-Z being opportunistic and entrepreneurial like it's some sort of sin. Jay was one of the few guys pushing hip hop to the people outside of the base with collabs and shit. That shit helps keep hip hop alive and relevant. Its like ninjas hating on Call of Duty and Halo and shit and not realizing that games like that are not only a) fun but b) keep all the infrastructure and fanbase or even a lot of the really underground shit you like to stay alive. Kanye is helping Hov? Interesting viewpoint. Of course you could say that Hov did quite a bit by throwing his support behind Kanye when he was still a fledgling. I hope you don't hate on your parents for helping you get through your education and shit.

33.gif

So in retrospect do you guys think Rocafella or Bravehearts/ill will was the better label?

Nah, for real tho. Biggie and Pac dying was like when Jordan retired. A lot of dec ent dudes got too much shine. Nas is kinda the rap game Vince Carter. Jay was like Kobe. You don't really like seeing him win, and he was kinda doing it against shit competition. Still, the rings are there.

Or this.

Well....someone just told me J Cole's Friday Night Lights is as good as Illmatic. Didn't think that was a possible opinion for anyone to have

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
J. Cole had a $1.00 show tonght at House of Blues here in Houston. I didn't go and now I am hearing he brought out Kendrick Lamar.

and American Gangster is a bullshit copout of an album from Hov. that shit is beyond contrived.

Contrived or not still begs the question whether the album was good or not. It's a great album [IMO].

'Fallin'' of 'American Gangsta' is one of my favorite Jay-Z tracks.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Illmatic > IWW > Stillmatic > Lost Tapes > i pretend the rest don't exist.

and American Gangster is a bullshit copout of an album from Hov. that shit is beyond contrived.

it was the equivalent of him just copying himself via vol.1

Contrived or not still begs the question whether the album was good or not. It's a great album [IMO].

'Fallin'' of 'American Gangsta' is one of my favorite Jay-Z tracks.

and this as well even re-heated Vol.1 is the best stuff Jay's done since the Black Album

The beat is SO smooth
Action Bronson - Heel Toe

Sounds like SNES/PS1 era music

05521970-bertstare-.gif

This is the shit ya'll like, but all that fire on SAAB Stories bored ya'll? its not bad but its not touching the stuff on SAAB. The whole swag wouldn't fit

IrishNinja

this bronson track...damn, fraud tripping me out too

this is one of those anecdotal things i meant to ask about cause it was kinda a weird time for me too: post biggie/pac death i was leaving for college and all the me-too shit comin up put me off the scene for a minute. am i mixing up my timeline shit or is that around when jay, ja, X etc really came up? not that they were cutting before, but even the limited access my block had, these were the ones getting rotation when people were still mourning and shit. or am i overlapping shit by a year or two here?

Illmatic > IWW > Stillmatic > Lost Tapes > i pretend the rest don't exist.

PP has nearly my list down, but Life is Good dont rank for you dom?

Yeezus makes every other rap album coming out right now just seem safe and lacking on effort.

I tried that Cole again today man. I think the cover makes me want to like it, but fuck.

... Life is Good just got really exposed as a B level album.

speaking of time overlapping, i dont know
a) how the fuck these events crossover in your mind (shit was damn near a year ago man)
b) nas needed a life is good, if he'dve tried a yeezus there'dve been mad jokes, that's not where his mind's at

speaking of, ive come around to yeezus & totally see it shitting on cole's safe/boring album but ya'll can't fuckin want anyone else to mimic it or follow ye out to wherever the fuck he is right now mentally, because again at best you're talmbout Electric Circus-land from your "favorite" MCs

Imma kill myself if I can't remember what the sample on Heel Toe. It sounds like a certain 80s rock song synthesized through some Sega Genesis shit. fuck can't remember

Just listened to that P/Alchemist interview with Juan and Rosenberg. Dope as fuck. He says Q's album sounds amazing and he has a beat on it.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yeah ok, but do sales = face of hip hop? If so, Eminem is the face of hip hop by all accounts.

Not for nothing if you ask the majority of people who don't listen to hip hop exclusively (and a fair number who do) and they would say yeah Eminem is the face of hip hop. And I would prefer that greatly than the fact that it might be Drake right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom