• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roc Marciano isn't for everyone. Personally I think his tone and flow are great, and he sounds great over specific types of production. IMO his recent guest appearances on Bronson's tapes haven't been too good because the production is too busy.

He's the best rapper in the game to me, right now. Two stunning albums and a host of great unreleased shit. He's also quie dependent on good production though: if he's rhyming over a bad beat or something he doesn't fit on, the results can be ehhh. For instance Peru on Reloaded.

I love Ka, his shit is even slower ban Roc. It's more like spoken poetry than rap to me.

Recon

Banned
Roc Marciano isn't for everyone. Personally I think his tone and flow are great, and he sounds great over specific types of production. IMO his recent guest appearances on Bronson's tapes haven't been too good because the production is too busy.

He's the best rapper in the game to me, right now. Two stunning albums and a host of great unreleased shit. He's also quie dependent on good production though: if he's rhyming over a bad beat or something he doesn't fit on, the results can be ehhh. For instance Peru on Reloaded.

I love Ka, his shit is even slower ban Roc. It's more like spoken poetry than rap to me.

Cole>Roc. Ain't even trolling.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

at least the thread was entertaining and not sad.

how can anyone not like this face?!

1113-anne_hathaway_pibes91.jpg

CRS

I actually preferred her nerdy skirt look in the first one. Similar to how IMO Anne Hathaway was at her hottest in The Princess Diaries, before the makeover. I like that look. Crazy long unkept hair, skirt, business or schoolgirl attire...
Weisz still looked great in the first Mummy but she looked on point in the sequel, especially in the flashback scenes as Nerfitiri(sp?). With the exception of the straight hair, she was flawless.

Tokubetsu

Noz expanded on his J.Cole twitter thing on his tumblr:
http://tumblinerb.com/post/54242835122/why-is-jcole-mediocre

The “Art Of Storytelling" beat jack on “Land Of The Snakes" is perfect because it opens Cole up to such a bold contrast against the Outkast original. Sasha Thumper was a fully formed human, one with hopes and fears and slumber parties. She even exits the scene and lives an entire life outside of Andre’s verse. The women of "Snakes" and elsewhere on BS are set pieces. They have no names, no stories, no personalities, no specific characteristics. It’s just “this bitch," “some hoes" and endless “she"s. Sometimes they talk at him like wamp wamp wamp wamp but that’s where it stops. I’m sure someone could extract an intense gender politics thinkpiece out of this but it’s not just women either. He does the same thing with his family, with physical spaces, even with his own heroes (On “Let Nas Down" Cole makes no specific case for Nas’ talents or appeal, he just talks about shaking dude’s hand and hanging posters on the wall.) It’s flat narcissism and it’s definitely not good writing. Good writing requires a panoramic worldview.

A slice.

DominoKid

And I can hear you little frutflies spitting out cheetoh dust onto your keyboard and filling my ask box with baahh but Chief Keef and Migos can write? questions. No, of course not. Those guys fucking suck at writing when compared to Cole’s ample mediocrity. But their goals are very different. They redirect the effort that they would’ve put into writing elsewhere - into delivery, into structure, into intensity, into flows, into adlibs, into hooks, into sonics. This is perfectly fine. Writing ("lyricism") isn’t everything in rap. I don’t even think it’s the most important thing. But if an artist is going to make it the focal point of their work - which is what Cole clearly aims to do - then they should be doing it better than he does. I mean not to go all old head on you but if someone is not at least striving to be as vivid as Nas or as emotive as Scarface or as imaginative as Posdnuos or as bugged out as Cam’ron then I’d be more comfortable if they were to just give up on writing entirely and make a thousand kewl grunt noises on their record.

based Noz.

Ok Noz, now let me see you do that to the shallow lyrics we've seen from MCHG.

there's no point. everybody already knows how he feels about Jay.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
So is this what is happening on G.O.O.D. now? Basically Ye giving all these guys deals and them all running their courses and wasting them away?

At least Mr. Hudson will be eating off of Young Forever for the rest of time.
Is that song really THAT big?

KingKong

haha Cash Money signed Al Sharpton? thats hilarious

Ironically, Wayne and Sharpton have had disagreements over the years including one over the use of the b-word and n-word in the rap lyrics. Weezy would later refer to Rev. Sharpton as Don King with a perm.

DominoKid

So is this what is happening on G.O.O.D. now? Basically Ye giving all these guys deals and them all running their courses and wasting them away?

At least Mr. Hudson will be eating off of Young Forever for the rest of time.

Hit-Boy wants to be a rapper and his deal for that was w/ Interscope. He was only signed to Very GOOD Beats.

DominoKid

how bad has The Source gotten? well lets see what tops their list of rap albums released so far this year...

1. Indicud
Kid Cudi
Label: Wicked Awesome, GOOD
Notable Tracks: “Brothers,” “Beez,” “Just What I Am,” “Immortal”

Indicud, Kid Cudi needed this. We needed this. With Cudi’s sudden departure from G.O.O.D Music, it was vital for him to prove that he could step out from the shadow of Kanye West and prove that he could stand strong without the support of G.O.O.D behind him. Cudi did just that. Indicud is a great achievement for Cudi as he took on the entire album both behind the boards and on the mic, even going as far to boldly claim it as his version of Dr. Dre’s The Chronic. There are so many factors that make Indicud a great album: the features, production, and Cudi’s knack for continuing to create that alternative hip-hop sound that keeps him in a lane all by himself. ‘Indicud’ has become his highest charting album, debuting at #2 on the Billboard charts with 139,242 units sold, cementing the fact that there is a demand for Cudi’s sound in the game. In a time where artists tend to mimic the trends that are hot, Kid Cudi’s refusal to step in line is refreshing and welcomed by all, earning him the number one spot.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
C'mon fam, I'm a CuDi Stan that found Indicud satisfactory as best, but it does not deserve to be the top rap (at least use the word hip-hop, goddamn) album this year. There are about 4 candidates in June alone that are ahead of it.

My appendix realized how useless it was and tried to take me down with it. The upside to this is that I have percocet and way too much free time. I went through 100+ pages of GAF-Hop OT7/8.

Grandmilly > Ethel Wulf and his lazy ass flow.
I have similar issues with Curre$y sounding way too nonchalant and hiding behind the weed rap shitchk. Curren$y's delivery peaked on Pilot Talk II.

Collard Greens is weird for a Q song. Yay Yay works and doesn't sound like an unused GKBC track. Save that kind of song for Kendrick (problem is it's still a boring listen).

Kush Coma is good. A lot of Danny Brown's features have been solid, but they're always done in that high pitch stim dick persona. XXX had range, hoping we get some introspective/depressed Danny on Old.

I didn't fall victim to Yeezus hype cuz I've never been a huge Kanye fan. Honestly, this is probably my favorite Kanye song.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
At the deltron show. Played a handful of new tracks, sound like what you'd expect from a sequel to 3030.

He did give a release date
fall lol

And there's a dude here stealing Action Bonsons look. Trying to get a picture but dude keeps moving.

He's like super short, but a guy just as big and a huge red beard. Mini-me version basically.

thabiz

"oh you gonna get some cookie from this cookie jar tonight."

"better run that cookie jar through the dishwasher first."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom