• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

He had Steez, who showed a lot of promise for both Joey and Pro Era, but unfortunately, we all know that's not happening anymore.
I'm going to keep it super real. I don't understand why I posted that because I got that link FROM Enzo. I had a brainfart moment.
It's about Jay E so it takes more than one post to believe anything about the stupid bum.

Esch

Banned
Joey Badass got that Nas disease and that shit is terminal .
9aocv7.jpg.gif

I haven't listened to Summer Knights but I feel like he has devlolved since 1999;
Nowadays he sounds like he's been hanging out with Flatbush Zombies/The Underarchievers so much that their flow is rubbing off on him honestly. Not sure if you ever heard them, but listen to their music(I could see you digging Underachievers anyway) and listen to Joey's new music like 95 til Infinity. He sounds like he was influenced by them, but raps slower obviously

Kikarian

I haven't listened to Summer Knights but I feel like he has devlolved since 1999; I'm hoping that changes on this new project. I love 90s shit, personally. A dark and dusty piano loop over dirty drums will always get my head nodding. I listen to so many different types of hip hop that I have room for a stuck in the 90s sound/genre, it's fine.

I don't see it as a gimmick either. That's the shit he likes, and he has dope young producers who feel the same way. I don't want to hear him over a trap beat. However I'd like to see him modernize the sample based thing and expand his sound. Wouldn't mind hearing him over 40/T Minus type stuff.

Another thing: Joey hasn't really built his base. He should be trying to replicate OF in terms of surrounding himself with talented local kids who do everything: music, videos, art, etc. then make NY your turf before branching out, like OF did with Cali. Right now his message seems to be "if you liked 90s shit you'll like me." Fuck that, build your own base...
You're exactly right. I feel with Summer Knights he's saying things in his lyrics you'd expect some to say in the 90's. He also bites a lot of lyrics of Big L and others. He's limiting himself so much with the "I'm bringing 90's rap/hip-hop back". I love 80-90's hip-hop a lot. But their isn't enough of people that only listen to old school rap for Joey to get well known without expanding his fan base to modern day hip-hop fans.

1999 is much better than SK. SK relies on beats with the odd good verse.

-GJ-

He had Steez, who showed a lot of promise for both Joey and Pro Era, but unfortunately, we all know that's not happening anymore.

There's still a STEEZ mixtape (and album?) coming out though. Can't wait for that to drop.

PBY

Banned
Nowadays he sounds like he's been hanging out with Flatbush Zombies/The Underarchievers so much that their flow is rubbing off on him honestly. Not sure if you ever heard them, but listen to their music(I could see you digging Underachievers anyway) and listen to Joey's new music like 95 til Infinity. He sounds like he was influenced by them, but raps slower obviously

Cant see him being very good live either??
His show was better than I thought it'd be- the other guys T guy mentioned brought a lot of guest energy

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Lol I'm gonna buy a shitload of pasta.

Lol I'm jp. I didn't like superman, but maybe it gets better if you're drunk.
My girl didn't like it and is a big superman fan but all the plebs I know who aren't particularly picky about paying money for movies enjoyed it. Meh. Maybe I'll get the wine...

CRS

With all this talk about his album being a lot different from his previous material, not surprised at the feature. Not surprised at the Mac feature before and after listening to it.

kamspy

As far as 90s shit goes, I'll take that a nice prime cut like Action Bronson over a dude who sounds like a BCC weed carrier.

The only verse I've really loved of his is the one everyone else hates tho (1train). He actually exuded a little character there.

Have yall noticed that TDE hasn't dropped one good track since GKMC came out? As much as I loved HnC, there hasn't been one leak from Oxy that's inspired any kind of hype. If anything it's gotten worse with each release. I guess if he dropped something as good as HnC it would make him one of the best rappers of all time to have two albums that good back to back, so it was bound to fail.

Dereck

As far as 90s shit goes, I'll take that a nice prime cut like Action Bronson over a dude who sounds like a BCC weed carrier.

The only verse I've really loved of his is the one everyone else hates tho (1train). He actually exuded a little character there.
BARELY EVEN KOOOONSCIOUS, TALKIN TO MAH KOOOOOOOONSCIENCE
GETTIN DEEPER IN THESE FLOWS LIKE KOOOOOOOONHES

CRS

Have yall noticed that TDE hasn't dropped one good track since GKMC came out? As much as I loved HnC, there hasn't been one leak from Oxy that's inspired any kind of hype. If anything it's gotten worse with each release. I guess if he dropped something as good as HnC it would make him one of the best rappers of all time to have two albums that good back to back, so it was bound to fail.
The UOENO remix?

As far as their original songs goes? Nah, I honestly haven't been feeling any of the songs that much, but i do fuck with their take on UEONO. Like someone else(I believe WanderingWind) said a few months back, it just seems like they are trying too hard.

I do kinda fuck with this song as well Edit: Actually relistened to this and I fuck with it a lot

Joey Bada$$ & the rest of PRO ERA, Ab-Soul, Flatbush Zombies, and The Underachievers all need to chill with the insufferable indigo children / 3rd eye mind bullshit. They actually think they're enlightening the masses.

kamspy

Yeah, original songs.

They've all had a verse here and there.

Trying too hard is pretty accurate actually.

idk what the hell Q is trying. His fan base wants that dark HnC shit. He's trying to be Kendrick ASAP Q right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Okay I just caught up on the thread. Brainfart combo complete.

Also lol @ the hope for GOOD Fridays returning. As soon as anything Travis says or does is a source, it's a wrap and your back in crazytown. Too early for GOOD Fridays because there's no imminent, massive project coming up. I don't think we'll see that again cause Ye doesn't want to do the same thing twice. That guy makes a living off of trolling KTT.

New CuDi song started out okay but turned into shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom