• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
joey badass still as boring and derivative as ever.

i don't even know how/why stuck in the 90s cats like him.

i mean yall were actually around for the real thing.

like that amethyst rockstars for example? that shit sounds like parody to me. a lot of this shit does.

badass is for young folks that romanticize the past. like joey.

badass is the rap youre "supposed" to like.

i rather listen to the instrumentals.
The production is a big part of it, but I don't think he's actively *bad*. Hard to disagree with a lot of this but part of the reason dude appeals to stuck in the 90s ninjas is because he has a lot of the well roundedness in his raps that you got out of stuff in the golden era. Dude can spit, has great delivery, great flow, and fulfills a niche pretty well. He just doesn't have the substance and his career is going nowhere, but I can still enjoy his verse next to those from some of the 90s cats that are still around today.

DominoKid

The production is a big part of it, but I don't think he's actively *bad*. Hard to disagree with a lot of this but part of the reason dude appeals to stuck in the 90s ninjas is because he has a lot of the well roundedness in his raps that you got out of stuff in the golden era. Dude can spit, has great delivery, great flow, and fulfills a niche pretty well. He just doesn't have the substance and his career is going nowhere, but I can still enjoy his verse next to those from some of the 90s cats that are still around today.

i don't even think he can spit so much as emulate people who actually can. he isn't going anywhere at all. he's fucking sorry.

Fjordson

I like Joey. Not amazing, but I like some of his stuff.

And he has a track that sampled the theme from L.A. Noire so that counts for something.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
B.o.B. - Headband ft. 2 Chainz video. Man B.o.B.'s budget went to shit huh? I fucked with the teaser video idea more than this. Also 2 Chainz outfit watch in full effect. I kinda like this song though.

Tracklist for The Roots & Elvis Costello's Wise Up Ghost:

wise-up-ghost-tracklist.jpg

DominoKid

BoB needs to pick up that goddamn guitar again because it's kind of painful to watch him go out like this. Hell I didn't even know that was BoBs song. his parts are generic as hell.

PBY

Banned
BoB needs to pick up that goddamn guitar again because it's kind of painful to watch him go out like this. Hell I didn't even know that was BoBs song. his parts are generic as hell.

I agree. He got hated on for his sing-songy pop rap, but hey- that was a very specific niche he filled, and there weren't very many hip hop acts that could do that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Beat is fire though. All the verses suck, but the beat is fire.

Big Sean talks Em collabo. Says Em was going crazy over his new album and it's super different from Finally Famous. Also pretty much confirms there will be a Jay Electronica feature on the album.

Nas told Big Sean "I LIVE to your Mercy verse man, I LIVE to this shit." Rosenberg and Sean are right about his Mercy verse and the way Sean raps though. Ninjas tryna prove themselves on every song when Sean is just giving the song what it needs, and that's exactly why him and 2 Chainz have the best verses on Mercy. Same reason why Ye is so successful. Also low key confirms Nas collaboration?

DominoKid

Wale in at 96K so far. probably will get to 150K?

that Beach House 2 tape is sick. i hope a Drama-less version comes out soon. idk why R&B cats want these DJs screaming all over their shit.

joey badass still as boring and derivative as ever.

i don't even know how/why stuck in the 90s cats like him.

i mean yall were actually around for the real thing.

like that amethyst rockstars for example? that shit sounds like parody to me. a lot of this shit does.

badass is for young folks that romanticize the past. like joey.

badass is the rap youre "supposed" to like.

i rather listen to the instrumentals.
It's not like his songs with original beats are all that good. His best songs use borrowed beats. I listened to 95 til infinity and it is seriously a contender for most snooze worthy song of the year.

I don't get how people say someone like Trinidad James comes off like a parody then look at Joey and say he doesn't. Some bias shit like crazy.

DominoKid

It's not like his songs with original beats are all that good. His best songs use borrowed beats. I listened to 95 til infinity and it is seriously a contender for most snooze worthy song of the year.

I don't get how people say someone like Trinidad James comes off like a parody then look at Joey and say he doesn't. Some bias shit like crazy.

folks are just self-conscious about the image Trinidad James puts forth. that's about as PC as i can be w/ that.

Pitbull or Flo-Rida?

iMpOzo8d2H8o6.gif

HiiiLife

Okay I'm digging Rotation. I legit feel bad now because all I ever hear from my friends is that Wale is a conscious rapper, and the song I'm feeling most is about weed. Lmao.

Esch

Banned
Then you need to get out more. I cant remember the last time I was in a club and didn't hear at least one Flo Rida song.

I get out plenty and listen to pop radio almost all day at work in the lab and the shit still doesn't click in my head. Both guys are guilty of doing nothing but jacking EDM hits and rapping/chopping them up but at least Pitbull has some memorable adlibs and shit.

Flo Rida lost.

-GJ-

Listening to that new Joey Bada$$ mixtape. Really digging it so far. Loved 1999 too. Yeah, the production is a pretty big part of it (especially Lee Bannon's beats are great), but the kid got a nice flow and he's only 18. I can see him grow into something much bigger and that's a good thing for hiphop.

mBBIo1Q.png

No Capital STEEZ verse though... RIP Capital STEEZ :'(...

-GJ-

Is Joey even old enough to have listened to the shit he tries to emulate?

He's from 95, so I guess it depends on what his parents listened too. I'm a white kid from 91 and I didn't start really listening to hiphop until I was 11 or 12 and I found out how to download tracks, but I'm 22 now and I know a lot about hiphop even though I didn't really grow up with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom