• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm just so surprised 808's was that influential. It's crazy.
Autotune fizzling out had a lot to do with that. It was already on the downturn before Ye jumped on the train. People don't have fond memories of autotune.

Though it did spawn pretty much Drake's modern career.

Game might let him win cuz he let Nas down.No rapper has ever cared enough about Game for him to let them down. Maybe he thinks letting Cole kill him would get him some after death shout outs from real rappers.
C'mon man, who would actually want to give Game a shoutout after getting killed by Cole and his eyebrows?

DominoKid

Autotune fizzling out had a lot to do with that. It was already on the downturn before Ye jumped on the train. People don't have fond memories of autotune.

Though it did spawn pretty much Drake's modern career.

the weird thing to me is that, aside from Cudi, the children of Kanye could only take hold after Drake blew up. because Drake is basically a new Kanye at heart even though he's following more along the Jay-Z path.

but like Big Sean for example, he's been around since the Graduation days but because a number of factors he couldn't catch on until after Drake blew up.

kamspy

. If Just Blaze will exec produce a Strugglehouse album you know he'd exec produce for Cole. Get him in the studio to fix your shit.

So if Just Blaze held the iPad while Cole made beats on it they would be better?

And lol at auto tune fizzling out. Someone forgot to tell Future's accountant.

Recon

Banned
Some of yall are acting basement dweller, full neckbeard with this Cole shit. Kamspy is about two posts away from some PP sponsored Cole and HOV fan fic shit.

DominoKid

i would really like to know the thought process behind Cole dropping the same day as Yeezus. not the idea that the competition would help his sales, but just what type of reception he expected. it just seems like he didn't think that one all the way through. because like peter said, his album sounds like 2004 and Yeezus sounds like 3000. and even though the staunch heads have drawn their line in the sand and supported Born Sinner, it basically feels like Born Sinner didn't even happen. whether people love it or hate it, people are talking about Yeezus. i really feel like that's the source of his twitter whining.

Dereck

i would really like to know the thought process behind Cole dropping the same day as Yeezus. not the idea that the competition would help his sales, but just what type of reception he expected. it just seems like he didn't think that one all the way through. because like peter said, his album sounds like 2004 and Yeezus sounds like 3000. and even though the staunch heads have drawn their line in the sand and supported Born Sinner, it basically feels like Born Sinner didn't even happen. whether people love it or hate it, people are talking about Yeezus. i really feel like that's the source of his twitter whining.
I got sad after reading this, unfortunate result of Cole's actions.

I don't think Yeezus has much to do with Cole's apparent annoyance; he's a big boy, he realizes Kanye is a bigger rapper than him and would thus dominate the limelight. Perhaps he felt he had a chance to outsell Kanye after the "no promo/no single" decision, and who knows he might actually outsell him - but that's not Cole's concern.

Personally I believe Cole is upset that Born Sinner isn't being hailed as the artistic effort he believes it is. Sure it's getting good reviews thus far (3.5 from Rolling Stone, 4 from HipHopDX) but no one is saying it's a standout album. I genuinely believe this album is Cole's response to GKMC, and when held to that standard it's a failure. If this is Cole's best attempt, his best shot, etc than something is wrong. It's a good album with only about 4 tracks I don't like, but overall is forgettable from a lyrical and production standpoint. I think Cole was expecting universal praise and acclaim, for this "dark" album to be viewed as an artist with his back against the wall, suffering from depression, releasing his greatest work. Nope.

edit: Born Sinner just got an L from XXL lol

Some of yall are acting basement dweller, full neckbeard with this Cole shit. Kamspy is about two posts away from some PP sponsored Cole and HOV fan fic shit.
I got on the Cole hype train back when FNL dropped, but ever since Cole World I've been really uninterested the dude and his music. I guess I just set my expectations too high for his major label debut. But damn, even with my lowered expectations for Born Sinner, I just can't get back on the Cole hype. I'll definitely give the album a few more spins, but I doubt that I'll be revisiting it after that.

4horesmen.jpg

Mathematics ft. Ghostface Killah, Inspectah Deck, Method Man & Raekwon “4 Horsemen”

Meth comes correct as always. Ghost steals the show though.

Lol at spelling Decks name wrong on the art...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
the weird thing to me is that, aside from Cudi, the children of Kanye could only take hold after Drake blew up. because Drake is basically a new Kanye at heart even though he's following more along the Jay-Z path.

but like Big Sean for example, he's been around since the Graduation days but because a number of factors he couldn't catch on until after Drake blew up.
Yeah this is super weird., but Drake just presented himself in a better way, had better cosigns, and a hotter, more broad-reaching single that blew him up.

Also I still don't get the Born Sinner to GKMC comparisons. In intent or execution, they don't seem to share anything in common outside of a rough box you can draw around them and call backpacker. It's not as tight of a cohesive album in terms of the approach, it's not really a concept album as it's more of a collection of experiences centering around the theme, and it's not even comparable in the sounds they were going for. I don't get why GKMC keeps being brought up alongside Born Sinner aside from the fact that Cole thought it was dope just like the million other people that copped it.

the next cole song i'll seek out must have a kingdom hearts sample. dollar and a dream 3 beat was lovely.

dude bores me though. i'm not trying to be petty or hateful, but my interest in him almost completely plummeted a week after his debut album came out (and I actually sorta enjoyed it at the time)

DominoKid

I don't think Yeezus has much to do with Cole's apparent annoyance; he's a big boy, he realizes Kanye is a bigger rapper than him and would thus dominate the limelight. Perhaps he felt he had a chance to outsell Kanye after the "no promo/no single" decision, and who knows he might actually outsell him - but that's not Cole's concern.

Personally I believe Cole is upset that Born Sinner isn't being hailed as the artistic effort he believes it is. Sure it's getting good reviews thus far (3.5 from Rolling Stone, 4 from HipHopDX) but no one is saying it's a standout album. I genuinely believe this album is Cole's response to GKMC, and when held to that standard it's a failure. If this is Cole's best attempt, his best shot, etc than something is wrong. It's a good album with only about 4 tracks I don't like, but overall is forgettable from a lyrical and production standpoint. I think Cole was expecting universal praise and acclaim, for this "dark" album to be viewed as an artist with his back against the wall, suffering from depression, releasing his greatest work. Nope.

edit: Born Sinner just got an L from XXL lol

if that was his goal w/ this album than he's dumber than i thought because not only did he miss the mark, he doesn't have the ability to hit that mark.

i'd rather believe he really thinks his album is better than Yeezus. at least i can wrap my mind around that.

i'd rather believe he really thinks his album is better than Yeezus. at least i can wrap my mind around that.

a lot of people on my facebook think that

i also have heard choice quotes like:

"J Cole can do no wrong"

"J Cole is real hip hop, about the lyrics. not illuminati god shit"

"jermaine has done it again, one of the best lyrical rappers in the game"

Recon

Banned
I got on the Cole hype train back when FNL dropped, but ever since Cole World I've been really uninterested the dude and his music. I guess I just set my expectations too high for his major label debut. But damn, even with my lowered expectations for Born Sinner, I just can't get back on the Cole hype.

Think about this, Cole has had 3 full mixtapes, about 4-5 mini mixtapes, plus 2 studio albums to his name. Thats more than some veteran rappers have for their discography. Everyone should be sick of Cole's subject matter by now.
Some rappers can improve and branch out, others cant. Some of your favorite rappers be stuck on some same level shit for their whole careers, but they get a pass because...? To a lot of Cole's fanbase, they only know Cole World and Born Sinner. So within that context, Cole dropped a pretty good album. He just so happen to drop it on the same day as two other great efforts.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
as a staunch Cole hater I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't going after the GKMC throne. That'd be about as stupid as throwing some level 2-3 soldiers in Xcom at some 15hr level enemies.

Expect body bags. (
im playing xcom again since it's free on PS+
)

PBY

Banned
Think about this, Cole has had 3 full mixtapes, about 4-5 mini mixtapes, plus 2 studio albums to his name. Thats more than some veteran rappers have for their discography. Everyone should be sick of Cole's subject matter by now.
Yeah cole is just a matter of
A- running out of things to say, and
B- staying in the same production lane

I'd actually love to hear an ignant cole album. Trap cole is surprisingly swaggy

EloquentM

aka Mannny

"J Cole can do no wrong"

Cole is the most exciting thing about hip-hop right now.

DominoKid

"J Cole can do no wrong"

J. Cole is the savior of hip-hop.

DominoKid

I'd actually love to hear an ignant cole album. Trap cole is surprisingly swaggy

His audience would turn on him so fast. Like when Wale signed w/ MMG, even though I'd say it's worked out great for his music. and I say that as someone who has rocked w/ Wale since the first mixtapes (Paint a Picture)

caesar

Banned

"J Cole can do no wrong"

Ditto.

"Born Sinner > Yeezus. Yeezus is trash and not hip hop."

I actually feel like Kanye might go back to more old school stuff next though, there's no way he can get away with something like Yeezus again. Not that he would try, and if he were to make a more post-fatherhood CDesque album again, it would certainly have a few interesting twists to it ala Bound 2.

Recon

Banned

Yeah, but I have to applaud the guy for doing it his own way. Dude is caking, learning the ropes, and improving on his debut. If I was new to Cole and only heard his albums, I would think his progression to be great.

PBY

Banned
Yeah, but I have to applaud the guy for doing it his own way. Dude is caking, learning the ropes, and improving on his debut. If I was new to Cole and only heard his albums, I would think his progression to be great.
Can't argue w this.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I really think Cole's production has evolved it's just he's saying the same shit over and over and he's not one of those rappers where he can get away with it. If your a purported herald for conscious rap, you need to switch it up. This goes for any artist that puts emphasis on their content or content delivery.

Lyrically, he hasn't progressed very far at all.

Also my twitter is blowing up with Born Sinner love too.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I think he deserves the love for the amount of work he puts in. I also, think he wants the opportunity to let hov down.

DominoKid

Nobody on my Twitter is talking about Born Sinner. Not even the NC cats. Probably because my Twitter friends have good taste. Facebook is a different story.

Ditto.

"Born Sinner > Yeezus. Yeezus is trash and not hip hop."

I actually feel like Kanye might go back to more old school stuff next though, there's no way he can get away with something like Yeezus again. Not that he would try, and if he were to make a more post-fatherhood CDesque album again, it would certainly have a few interesting twists to it ala Bound 2.

i'm curious to see what he does next. i'm thinking 2015, early 2016 is the next solo thing we'll see from him. i have a hunch WTT2 is coming Fall 2014. but coming off of MBDTF, i really didn't know where he could go from there, and he proved me right because the sound of Yeezus is the last thing i was expecting.

beyond Kanye though, GOOD Music is looking dead in the water right now.
- Cudi's gone
- there's no momentum for Hall of Fame at all
- My Name Is My Name is going to brick. it will.
- Cyhi is basically Consequence's replacement
- Travis Scott isnt even on GOOD Music, just Very GOOD Beats.

Recon

Banned
I really think Cole's production has evolved it's just he's saying the same shit over and over and he's not one of those rappers where he can get away with it. If your a purported herald for conscious rap, you need to switch it up. This goes for any artist that puts emphasis on their content or content delivery.

Lyrically, he hasn't progressed very far at all.

Also my twitter is blowing up with Born Sinner love too.

Lyrically he doesn't need to. Cole isn't selling that image to you, he is selling that to the demographic that buys his albums. He only needs to be better than the Futures, Frenchs, and Rick rosses, lyrically.

Basically, Coles whole image is " all these rappers suck, so me being average already makes me the next Nas."

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Cole gonna sell a bunch. I'm not worried about the dude. Album could be better but its still good. It's no Friday Night Lights.

It's growing on me.

Some rappers can improve and branch out, others cant. Some of your favorite rappers be stuck on some same level shit for their whole careers, but they get a pass because...? To a lot of Cole's fanbase, they only know Cole World and Born Sinner. So within that context, Cole dropped a pretty good album. He just so happen to drop it on the same day as two other great efforts.
I totally see what you're saying. I'm definitely past that point of enjoying a lot of his music after hearing everything he's done for the past few years (at least for this point in time). I also feel the same way about Krit at the moment. Dude is great and everything, but god damn, my ears get tired of hearing about candy paint, wood grain and that struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom