• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

DominoKid

my gaaaaaaaaaaawd @ Crown

i9AQLqLIJFxon.gif

Esch

Banned
Nickels and Dimes giving me "Swim Good" vibes. Nice choice of closer.

Why you gotta give a shitty song like BBC full time and cut Beach and Versus short tho?

Gonna relisten. Like it a lot though.

People seem to forget Kanye's popularity is waning, sales wise. Dark Fantasy was his worst selling album, now it'll be Yeezus. He has reached his peak in terms of popularity/success, and whatever weird shit he does next will sell less. I think Yeezus is amazing obviously, but it's quite the punch in the gut for most Kanye fans IMO, especially those who just want an album of Mercy or Blame Game. Initially I assumed Yeezus would just be Kanye's full trap album, expanding on Cruel Summer.

Kanye's in a dark place. You can tell something is up between him and Hov right now. Probably an extension of the sissy fit he through after hearing BP3 would be all Timbo; the fight nixed those plans and shortly thereafter Timbo and Jay fell out. Now Timbo and Jay are back together, he produced most of Magna Carta...and Kanye is the odd man out. Something is going on.

Esch

Banned
Really digging MCHG. How do people like this compared to The Blueprint 3?
Way way way better. More energy, more life. The production is without a doubt perfect, Hov did mostly great job working with what he had. He sounds kinda flabby in a few spots, but its all good. This album has that inescapable head nodding factor that gets infinite car play. I can't even decide what songs on this are gonna be singles. Make no mistake, this album is basically a really high quality blockbuster in concept and execution, so you should expect the same reaction from it. It'll sell like gangbusters, and some purists and artiste types will probably hate it, citing Hov's self aggrandizing, biting, lost emcee precision. But the point is a lot of this shit is just mad provocative in terms of sound. It elicits an emotional response. Just check out any of the big rap forums if you need verification. Jay put together some great songs. I dont think they mean much, but that's Jay-Z for you.

Easily best thing he's done post retirement, I think. By a large margin.

DominoKid

^ definitely his best album post-retirement even if he is as rusty as ever (and this is undeniable) on the mic.

People seem to forget Kanye's popularity is waning, sales wise. Dark Fantasy was his worst selling album, now it'll be Yeezus. He has reached his peak in terms of popularity/success, and whatever weird shit he does next will sell less. I think Yeezus is amazing obviously, but it's quite the punch in the gut for most Kanye fans IMO, especially those who just want an album of Mercy or Blame Game. Initially I assumed Yeezus would just be Kanye's full trap album, expanding on Cruel Summer.

Kanye's in a dark place. You can tell something is up between him and Hov right now. Probably an extension of the sissy fit he through after hearing BP3 would be all Timbo; the fight nixed those plans and shortly thereafter Timbo and Jay fell out. Now Timbo and Jay are back together, he produced most of Magna Carta...and Kanye is the odd man out. Something is going on.

i think you're really blowing this out of proportion. they're just in different places artistically right now. now if a WTT2 doesn't happen and they don't collab anymore, then you might be on to something.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Some of the production on MCHG is legit as hell. Jay is still boring most of the album though, just half assing it. La Familia is fucking awful, he isn't even trying. Oceans and Part 2 are pretty awful too on first listen. It will get some play though, especially tracks like Tom Ford, somewhere in america, FUTW, and Holy Grail. I can't figure out if I like BBC or not, the cowbell is making my head hurt but the rest of the beat is great. Wish Verses was longer, his verse is laughable but the beat is great. Beaches could have used more time too, although again the verse is laughable. Sounds like something ghost written for Kanye and forgotten in the corner of the studio.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Ross' verse let me down. I hope UOENO didn't hurt the ducktails to much. Top Form Ross would have bodied that track. Nas' verse was lacking too. BBC is probably the worst track on the tape. Nickels and Dimes needs the Chef verse off of the skrenf of the title.

Frank and JT blessed this album something crazy.

Holy Grail, Picasso Baby, Tom Ford, Heaven, and Ocean are probably going to get the most play from me.

^ definitely his best album post-retirement even if he is as rusty as ever (and this is undeniable) on the mic.

i think you're really blowing this out of proportion. they're just in different places artistically right now. now if a WTT2 doesn't happen and they don't collab anymore, then you might be on to something.

Could be, but did you see this new interview?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTaOtTScD2Q

Falling out, right around the time of BP3. I'd bet cash money it was over Kanye getting upset about the original BP3 plans, and Timbo feeling Jay won't stand up to Kanye. Hell listen when he talks about Yeezus and basically says "he should do part 2 with me, and I'll do the beats" lol. You can tell Timbo is over it, but is still on that passive aggressive tip lol

Esch

Banned
So this or yeezus?

I'm split between RTJ, Yeezus, and this. I think Yeezus and this album are kind of different sides to the same coin... And I like RTJ's cohesiveness but think that the variety and scope of MCHG and Yeezus are both much higher and i'm feeling that a lot in my life right now. I dont know. Yeezus is a great album, but I feel like this has that swiss army knife feel to where i'll be listening to it in several different mindstates. I only really bop Yeezus when i'm driving or I wanna fuck shit up, lol.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
I'm split between RTJ, Yeezus, and this. I think Yeezus and this album are kind of different sides to the same coin... And I like RTJ's cohesiveness but think that the variety and scope of MCHG and Yeezus are both much higher and i'm feeling that a lot in my life right now. I dont know. Yeezus is a great album, but I feel like this has that swiss army knife feel to where i'll be listening to it in several different mindstates. I only really bop Yeezus when i'm driving or I wanna fuck shit up, lol.
I can relate. The only reason why I may choose yeezus over this is because of the lyrics. Even though they're really not much on either I have a lot more stuff to relate to on yeezus. Also, RTJ is still in the running for AOTY.

I prefer Yeezus.

but MCHG turned out a fuckload better than I expected. not because of Hov though.
Ahahahahaha exactly how I feel. Heaven though.... Mmm mmm mmm why hov.

Esch

Banned
Yeezus has just as many lyrical herp a derps as MCHG does. You just tolerate it more because you're a Ye stan.

Esch

Banned
misread your post n/m

actually all three albums are shortcomers lyrically for various reasons. but fuck lyrics, it's hip hop in 2013.

siddx

It's not even remotely close. MCHG is a poorly cooked steak but it's still a steak. Yeezus is diarrhea dookie on a plate.

IrishNinja

RZA
Premo
Just Blaze
Kanye
Alc
Dr. Dre
Nujabes
Ski
Prince Paul
(can't decide between a bunch of people for my tenth)

yo im kinda drunk but
esha gon get a pass on all kinda foolish/harsh shit he says for this list for real, goddamn

ps i was wantin to ask, can someone tell me what the fuck happened to:

trackmasters
just blaze
darkchild (i know shit went R&B but where the fuck did they go)

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
PP I don't know how you are concocting this story man. Stretching it quite a bit. Just because Jay isn't running to Ye for beats doesn't mean he suddenly has something against dude. Or that he's collaborating with others in a collaborative industry. You can be your own artist without carrying those obligations. Remember around WTT time how the media kept blowing up a tiny argument, or better put, discussion between Jay and Ye over how to handle the tour as some sort of split in the making? That's what this reminds me of. Ye, Timbo and Jay probably having a drink right now somewhere laughing at this media shit.

I don't think Timbo has anything against Ye either. Plans change. Music changes. It's not like Timbo's conception of what BP3 was the first Jay wanted either. Timbo put his price too high for everyone and folks in hip-hop stopped buying in while Swizz and Pharrell kept doing shit with whoever for the love of the music. Now that Missy is back, and Justin is back, he wants folks to buy in again and Jay is in the space where he wants some of his marquee producers back. Boom, collabo.

DominoKid

crossposting my GIF Review

i2fMJqDxEyo1D.gif

Holy Grail (Timberlake da gawd)
Picasso Baby
Tom Ford
FuckWithMe
FUTW
Heaven
CROWWWWWWWWWWWN
Somewhere In America
La Familia
Nickels & Dimes

irZ5TEOOuBkRT.gif

Versus
Beach Is Better

ibzZuLjdYAozQI.gif

BBC (Hov aint want that renegade from Nas smh)
Oceans

ib8dmFNH43rZN.gif

Part II (On The Run)
Jay-Z Blue

solid 12/16 tracks i fuck with.
although i'm beyond salty that Beach isn't a full track.

IrishNinja

yo i was askin some valid questions n shit

ps can you imagine if jigga woulda named it some corny shit like magna carter hahahaha

siddx

Lol hyperbole finds it's way into ot community more often than one would think.

Not even remotely hyperbole, album is complete garbage. I've given it even more chances to click with me than I gave MBDTRSVPBBW and the only two previously likable tracks died an unremarkable death instead. It's a terrible fucking album.

Yeah Oceans does nothing for me. Neither does that Beyonce track but thats largely on her, can't stand her.

IrishNinja

man i know some big shit leaked but these ninjas gon acknowledge my questions, i ain't some kevinpaul just drive-by postin or jittering up the thread

much love jitters do your thing man, ever thread needs a butters

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
still on the first listen but I got to say that justin timberlake hook/chorus..... hnnnggg

Also Picasso Baby's beat is dope.... but Jay's lyrics aren't what they use to be... this is like a brett favre album aka "all of the other QBs (rappers) in the league suck or are still developing so I can come in here and still show off based on veteran savvy" IE Production.

This album is what I think Jay wanted kingdom come to be like. However he needed Kanye to show him how to change his image (WTT) to that of a misunderstood "artist" with troubles in his life being a multibillionaire (lol right but hey these artist need more than millions $$$) and the audience needed more time to come to accept jay as an "artist" instead of a artistic drug dealer with a tortured soul

8/10 and I come from the school of reality where Nas won their battle. On a second or third listening when i can really "listen" to the lyrics and break them down it might fall to a 7/10

IrishNinja

Kinda drunk....but how fuck Gafhop dont have Dont Sweat the Technique in its list of GOAT albums. smdh.

this is a fantastic question that honestly myself, ace and 36 and like a few other dudes here can address before someone talks about big sean's balls or jay's current struggle or whatever so for real let's get into this shit

i won't eeen front: my older brother was an NWA fan like ace but i got into shit when i hurrd Know the Ledge off the Juice OST (i wanna say?) in the day so i'm not gonna deny this album's power but just like Pete Rock & CL there's standout tracks you can call absolute classics, and a handfull of others you either vibe too cause you heard em when you was still jackin cassette singles from the mall/bodega cause they weren't checkin for white kids (hahaha) or some pitchfork shit brought em up awkwardly in a YMCMB review, and nothin wrong with the latter i guess but my point is they don't stand the test of time outside of nostalgia

like im a huge jazz-hop head and ill tell you to fuck with petestrumentals and some premo type shit all day but im not gonna act like certain Kool Moe Dee shit should be heralded outside of a wiki article on cumulative influence or the hip-hop museum that exists in KRS' mind nahmean

so that said, you wanna talk about eric b & rakim's collective influence? man we could do some all-day essays on that shit...but i'm not gonna grab an album that i adore for a few definition-of-classic joints and pretend the other 7-8 ain't happen because of where things were at the time, you know? like on a lesser level - because i dont mean to talk shit, i fuckin love eric b & rakim - but if someone new to hip-hop today asked me what the fuck the deal was with say LL, i wouldn't say go fuck with Walking with a Panther just cause i thought it was hot shit back when fanny packs were acceptable; i'd say get with All World cause it takes most of the best of his works and puts it on one disc.

and ain't nothin wrong with that doe. there's numerous classic rock artists people herald to the heavens that most folks now will only wanna hear their greatest hits albums, and you know? they'll prolly get as much as they're going to by doing so, too. if you were the kinda dude that discovers some shit decades after it's dead & fully appreciates it in a time capsule you'dve been listening to full discographies and making your own conclusions anwyay

bout to reup on this cheap whiskey tho

RJT

Rakim's greatest hits album is fucking glorious. I don't think I ever gave individual albums their chance, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom