• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cole had very little promotion outside of the typical radio interviews. Def Jam had blacked out vans promoting Kanye's album, alongside "Not For Sale" posters that not-so-ironically advertised his album. I'll give Cole dap for proving his label wrong, again. He's probably making more "real money" than the vast majority of his peers, who rely solely on the label, don't tour enough, etc.

Lol, The reason the labels don't give a shit about what Cole does is because Cole is the arrogant type to want to do everything himself. I mean what budget do they really have to give dude? He does his own beats and prefers to keep features to the very minimal. The suits are mostly likely happy as hell that he sells as much as he does so they continue to let him do him.

He had those city to city listening sessions of his album and the whole 1$ tour thing going on. and 2 singles.

Singles are expected, I'm not counting them as promotion. And IIRC didn't the $1 tour start after the album release? Regardless again...it's a tour. He was doing that shit before he had a deal.

I'm not saying Cole did everything 100% himself. But it's pretty damn clear he called the shots and set this ball rolling. I don't see Jay giving him any shout outs, he's not on TV all the time, hell I don't think he even did Fallon (or SNL). He dropped the singles, then dropped the album. Boom. Him, Kendrick, and Drake have re-written a lot of label rules and I give them dap.

PBY

Banned
Singles and radio play are pretty much the only form of promo that matters PP.

Why do you think Wale manages to be so consistent? He had Bad.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cole had very little promotion outside of the typical radio interviews. Def Jam had blacked out vans promoting Kanye's album, alongside "Not For Sale" posters that not-so-ironically advertised his album. I'll give Cole dap for proving his label wrong, again. He's probably making more "real money" than the vast majority of his peers, who rely solely on the label, don't tour enough, etc.
There were no posters that said "Not For Sale." There were posters though.

The Not For Sale thing was supposed to be for pre-orders anyways because they initially had them and then stopped them, a lot of people misconstrued that. Well, it wasn't very clear in the first place, but still.

Cole still had his label flying him across the country and driving him everywhere, let's not act like that certainly isn't promotion, or even more effective promotion arguably alongside pushing out singles to radio stations across the country. I've seen Born Sinner ads posted up on the side of the HMVs here too, and if they're in my local town I'm sure they're elsewhere.

Singles are expected, I'm not counting them as promotion. And IIRC didn't the $1 tour start after the album release? Regardless again...it's a tour. He was doing that shit before he had a deal.

I'm not saying Cole did everything 100% himself. But it's pretty damn clear he called the shots and set this ball rolling. I don't see Jay giving him any shout outs, he's not on TV all the time, hell I don't think he even did Fallon (or SNL). He dropped the singles, then dropped the album. Boom. Him, Kendrick, and Drake have re-written a lot of label rules and I give them dap.

Roc Nation isn't that type of label btw. That's why you don't see Jay shouting him out and stuff. It's a pretty hands off ordeal, it's meant to keep an artist on their own hustle. Quite a few artist signed to Roc Nation said that

Cudder

Not only that but I don't even think Kendrick gave a shout out to his album when it came out, but he gave one to Mac. (on twitter)

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Singles and radio play are pretty much the only form of promo that matters PP.

Why do you think Wale manages to be so consistent? He had Bad.
That's not true

But they are some of the stronger promo

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Roc Nation isn't that type of label btw. That's why you don't see Jay shouting him out and stuff. It's a pretty hands off ordeal, it's meant to keep an artist on their own hustle. Quite a few artist signed to Roc Nation said that
This too. It provides artists with a distribution push with a lot of creative freedom. Best of both worlds when it comes to the major/indies. One of the big negatives being the promo too, but they help a bit as I mentioned in my previous post.

Detox

Haters drink brandy and wear rocafella
hstryclothing.com.gift3s3q.gif

geetec

Neo Member
Musical Taste:
Pick a coast to rep - West
Favorite Artist - Nas
Favourite producer - Dre
Favourite album - Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers

What's in your playlist right now? -
GAF-Hop Discusses: Run The Jewels
Rank Kanye's albums: no comment.
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Method Man/GZA
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Ghostface
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Illmatic has nothing on HSTRY clothing.
Who won? Jay-Z or Nas? Nas
Biggie or Pac? Pac
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? ...Both?
How do you feel about Macklemore? Made by Ryan Lewis.

Yoooooooooooooooooo that Deniro bangs definitely not a b side off patriarch like most of no.2.

yeah ur right. it's a good song. patriarch 2 is deniro's weakest project yet. but he was overdue for a bad one at some point since his track record was stellar

cdyhybrid

Musical Taste:
Favorite Artist - Nas
Favourite producer - Dre

Biggie or Pac? Pac

No Kanye cycle, no sale!

thabiz

Musical Taste:
Favorite Artist - Nas
Favourite producer - Dre

Biggie or Pac? Pac

already crackin wise. smh.

Musical Taste:
Favorite Artist - Nas
Favourite producer - Dre

Biggie or Pac? Pac
Welcome. Glad we are starting to get more and more posters here. Don't be afraid to call out some artist people here seem to love
yeah ur right. it's a good song. patriarch 2 is deniro's weakest project yet. but he was overdue for a bad one at some point since his track record was stellar

I wouldn't say it is bad lol damn.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Musical Taste:
Favorite Artist - Nas
Favourite producer - Dre

Biggie or Pac? Pac

VWx0b10.gif

geetec

Neo Member
Welcome. Glad we are starting to get more and more posters here. Don't be afraid to call out some artist people here seem to love

Thanks bro, appreciate the warm welcome.

We all know nas won the battle but jay-z won the war. Post up that begging for alcohol pic

When looking at the bigger scope of things (if you are talking about sales, money etc), yeah, I guess you're right. However in my opinion using that logic is stupid. Nas is still the better artist hands down, and he killed Jay at the time of beef.

tj hazuki

So Cole gonna outsell Kanye in the long run I think. Outsold in the 2nd week,and the third week the album is projected to go #1

Mr.Swag

Banned
Ironman is always my first choice when picking an album to listen to on my ps3. I used to think Raekwon's debut was better, but overtime I got tired of OBFCL, and started liking Ironman even more.

Ironman
OBFCL
36 Chambers
Liquid Swords
Tical
Camay is such a good song. Shit. Just the whole album has such a great sound.

RZA is hands down my favorite producer in hip hop.
Can we talk about producers? Who do y'all like?

Chance the Rapper gonna be in Toronto on the 22nd for $15

Probably will go for that cheap

Killer Mike and El-P are here too on the 11th. Hotdamn

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
All time fav producers? DJ U-Neek, Alchemist, Big K.R.I.T., Fat Jon, and Nujabes.
Serious question: Do you really feel K.R.I.T.'s discography thus far compares to and for you exceeds that of other legendary producers?

Prodigy said Alchemist might be looked back as the GOAT in the future, and I'm not saying he will, but he's definitely in the discussion. He's my low key favourite producer from a time when I never checked production credits.

thabiz

Prodigy said Alchemist might be looked back as the GOAT in the future, and I'm not saying he will, but he's definitely in the discussion. He's my low key favourite producer from a time when I never checked production credits.

alc for sure will be amongst the top tier.

i also have to throw some love at erick sermon. dude had some serious beats.

HiResDes

I forgot about Ski Beats, I mean have you seen his discography:

1 1990
1.1 Bizzie Boyz – Droppin' It
2 1992
2.1 Original Flavor – This Is How It Is
3 1994
3.1 Original Flavor – Beyond Flavor
4 1995
4.1 Jay-Z – In My Lifetime (Single)
4.2 AZ – Doe or Die
5 1996
5.1 Bahamadia – Kollage
5.2 Jay-Z – Reasonable Doubt
5.3 Lil' Kim – Hard Core
6 1997
6.1 Camp Lo – Uptown Saturday Night
6.2 Jay-Z – In My Lifetime, Vol. 1
7 1998
7.1 Funkdoobiest – The Troubleshooters
7.2 Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz – Make It Reign
7.3 Sporty Thievz – Street Cinema
7.4 Fat Joe – Don Cartagena
8 2001
8.1 Jay-Z - Jay-Z: Unplugged
9 2002
9.1 Pacewon – Won
9.2 Camp Lo – Let's Do It Again
9.3 Angie Martinez – Animal House
10 2005
10.1 Proof – Searching for Jerry Garcia
11 2007
11.1 Camp Lo – Black Hollywood
11.2 Pittsburgh Slim – Tastemaker
12 2009
12.1 Willy Northpole – Tha Connect
12.2 Camp Lo – Another Heist
13 2010
13.1 The Cool Kids – Tacklebox (The Cool Kids Mixtape)
13.2 Homeboy Sandman – The Good Sun
13.3 Curren$y – Pilot Talk
13.4 Ski Beatz – 24 Hour Karate School
13.5 Curren$y – Pilot Talk II
14 2011
14.1 Talib Kweli – Gutter Rainbows
14.2 Dynasty Electric – Golden Arrows
14.3 Tabi Bonney – The Summer Years
14.4 Murs – Love and Rockets Vol. 1: The Transformation
14.5 Locksmith – Embedded
15 2012
15.1 Ski Beatz – 24 Hour Karate School Presents Twilight
16 Upcoming projects
16.1 Terri Walker – Walk with Me
16.2 Curren$y – Pilot Talk 3

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Kanye the GOAT producer, followed by Dre for me. Alc and Preemo probably in that list, though I know less of their catalogue, and even less of everyone else. Maybe Blaze to round it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom