• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol Jay Elec. Big Sean in August, Drake and JT in September. If he doesn't make it into October it ain't coming out, and I bet he won't make it. Record labels get pretty stingy about end of year releases.

I still don't understand why Hov signed him; Elec seems too smart to sign some bad 360 deal, so I'm not even sure how Roc Nation will make money off him.

Esch

Banned
ehh.png

kamspy

MCHG is nice. I was skeptical and it exceeded my expectations. I'll check for a physical next week for sure. It went platinum way faster than GKMC. Depends on Drake, but it could end up as the fastest and highest selling hip hop album this year.

thabiz

MCHG is nice. I was skeptical and it exceeded my expectations. I'll check for a physical next week for sure. It went platinum way faster than GKMC. Depends on Drake, but it could end up as the fastest and highest selling hip hop album this year.

of course it went platinum way faster than GKMC. LOL. too funny. i wonder what mega corporation bought up all those lamar copies?

Detox

Could set a terrible precedent at the top of the charts if more artists follow they could lock out independent or smaller artists from charting high.

Novid

Banned
truth bombs from twitter:

Code:
Also Jay's verse about not being able to walk his daughter b/c of paparazzi= WHAAAAAAAAAAAA boo fucking hoo, Hov. That shit ain't relatable.

kamspy

It's another avenue to get money from album sales. It would take a real Jay hater to think it's bad for the industry as a whole.

kamspy

please explain how this is GOOD for the industry. how will this benefit smaller artists?

Smaller artist could get smaller sponsors. Musicians haven't been eating from record sales in a while. Any way to extract revenue from that aspect of the art should be embraced. It staves off the "singles only, no albums" future that digital music consumption is pushing. It's up to smaller artists and smaller companies to figure out how to maximize the market potential on their end.

Crafting albums has a lot less incentive than it use to.

Car test done. God damn the production on this album. People shitting on the lyrics, they aint that fucking bad. Typical internet overreaction garbage. The album is great. Who else from the 90s can still drop commercial hits that aren't bullshit either.

Nas stans, sit down.

Jay won

Esch

Banned
Who cares about whether it was good or not for the industry. All the dudes you like on bandcamp and releasing free shit will be fine, this is totally irrelevant to their careers.The only people that can afford to do shit like this are dudes like Hov anyway. And they're a dying/retiring breed.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Car test done. God damn the production on this album. People shitting on the lyrics, they aint that fucking bad. Typical internet overreaction garbage. The album is great. Who else from the 90s can still drop commercial hits that aren't bullshit either.

Nas stans, sit down.

Jay won
I like this European feller here.

The god IrishNinja was on one last night god damn. Dying reading this shit.

And yes, Rakims music still holds up today. His solo greatest hits is excellent if your not familiar with his solo work.

To be quite honest, it's not like this stuff isn't done on a much smaller scale anyway. I mean look at those Scion tapes(EP from Danny Brown and Harry Fraud IIRC). It's another way to make money for artists for sure. What Scion does is just like the same as what Jay-z did if you think about it.

PBY

Banned
I agree w Esch.

I think the album is good, wouldn't say great. It's catchy but doesn't leave any sort of impression on you. Like at all.

Edit- yall do realize mountain dew has a label? They put on a bunch of artists gaf hop loves.

thabiz

Smaller artist could get smaller sponsors. Musicians haven't been eating from record sales in a while. Any way to extract revenue that aspect of the art should be embraced. It staves off the "singles only, no albums" future that digital music consumption is pushing. It's up to smaller artists and smaller companies to figure out how to maximize the market potential on their end.

why would a label front money in a changing landscape for a unknown return. they just wont bother. only the big artists that are all ready marketable will get these deals, which means only they will get albums produced. as time goes on, the pie gets smaller and smaller. a corporation who could give two shits about artist growth and nurturing will not give these artists a second glance.

how can an independent label compete on a marketing level with samsung, pepsi, microsoft, etc. we have already seen this with merging labels and mega corporations. only the richest will win.

the kendrick lamars of the world will not exist. i'm a direct casualty of the mp3 market and major labels going out of business or being bought up.

look at the movie industry. independent movies still exist, but guys like lynch and tarantino, just dont want to bother anymore. it just not worth the effort to get the funding. investors will not want the risk, when samsung can pick up the tab and you have a guaranteed return upfront.

PBY

Banned
why would a label front money in a changing landscape for a unknown return. they just wont bother. only the big artists that are all ready marketable will get these deals, which means only they will get albums produced. as time goes on, the pie gets smaller and smaller. a corporation who could give two shits about artist growth and nurturing will not give these artists a second glance.

how can an independent label compete on a marketing level with samsung, pepsi, microsoft, etc. we have already seen this with merging labels and mega corporations. only the richest will win.

the kendrick lamars of the world will not exist. i'm a direct casualty of the mp3 market and major labels going out of business or being bought up.

look at the movie industry. independent movies still exist, but guys like lynch and tarantino, just dont want to bother anymore. it just not worth the effort to get the funding. investors will not want the risk, when samsung can pick up the tab and you have a guaranteed return upfront.
http://www.greenlabelsound.com/

^pepsico owned Mtn dew label. It's all indie artists.

Detox

Good post biz also as an example take Wayne or Ye for instance their last album isn't selling as well as their other ones. If they had sponsored it which they could easily secure off their reputation then we will be talking about how they went double platinum. These artists would get entrenched at the top through corporate sponsorship.

I'm more worried about the continued corporate influence on radio drowning out smaller acts, at least when it comes to urban music; there will always be indie rock and pop bands/artists that break out every year. Ebro and others can talk all they want about metrics deciding what's played, but let's face it: if Reks had released Mercy instead of Kanye it would have received far less play. Labels largely dictate radio taste. If you play a song enough times you'll create demand for it. Adding Samsung, Pepsi, and whoever else into that equation will only further saturate the market with product placement and vapid shit.

Why sell a ringtone when you can sell a phone? I can see many companies jumping on this. Not only do the sales create hype, they can easily ensure radio plays the singles they want. It's a marketer's dream.

for now. they are simply pushing artists to further the brand. i wonder what return they see for all that marketing, considering joey badass, etc. sell like dog shit.

will they continue to take those risks as other, bigger corporations get involved.

How many rappers would corporations really be willing to spend 5 mil though on nowadays? Honest question

Detox

Where's the limit? Aftermath selling 10m of Kendricks sophomore album to Beats by Dre for 20cents a piece. Buying the number one slot and then dominating the airwaves is a good marketing scheme for those already there with a reputation and for the sponsoring organisation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom