• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is a fantastic question that honestly myself, ace and 36 and like a few other dudes here can address before someone talks about big sean's balls or jay's current struggle or whatever so for real let's get into this shit

i won't eeen front: my older brother was an NWA fan like ace but i got into shit when i hurrd Know the Ledge off the Juice OST (i wanna say?) in the day so i'm not gonna deny this album's power but just like Pete Rock & CL there's standout tracks you can call absolute classics, and a handfull of others you either vibe too cause you heard em when you was still jackin cassette singles from the mall/bodega cause they weren't checkin for white kids (hahaha) or some pitchfork shit brought em up awkwardly in a YMCMB review, and nothin wrong with the latter i guess but my point is they don't stand the test of time outside of nostalgia

like im a huge jazz-hop head and ill tell you to fuck with petestrumentals and some premo type shit all day but im not gonna act like certain Kool Moe Dee shit should be heralded outside of a wiki article on cumulative influence or the hip-hop museum that exists in KRS' mind nahmean

so that said, you wanna talk about eric b & rakim's collective influence? man we could do some all-day essays on that shit...but i'm not gonna grab an album that i adore for a few definition-of-classic joints and pretend the other 7-8 ain't happen because of where things were at the time, you know? like on a lesser level - because i dont mean to talk shit, i fuckin love eric b & rakim - but if someone new to hip-hop today asked me what the fuck the deal was with say LL, i wouldn't say go fuck with Walking with a Panther just cause i thought it was hot shit back when fanny packs were acceptable; i'd say get with All World cause it takes most of the best of his works and puts it on one disc.

and ain't nothin wrong with that doe. there's numerous classic rock artists people herald to the heavens that most folks now will only wanna hear their greatest hits albums, and you know? they'll prolly get as much as they're going to by doing so, too. if you were the kinda dude that discovers some shit decades after it's dead & fully appreciates it in a time capsule you'dve been listening to full discographies and making your own conclusions anwyay

bout to reup on this cheap whiskey tho

hanks for the thorough response man. But Im sayin tho, most of them songs off that album hold up to today. Like Kick Along? If our flave of the day artist dropped that today ninjas would be like "oh sheeeeeeeeit. that dude blacked out"

IrishNinja

Goddamn Irish. How did you focus in enough to write all of that.

Incredible.

ima let you in on a trade secret

a philosophy BA is basically worth the paper it's printed on but you'll still never channel enough of your chi to push past the bullshit if you don't learn the drunken style of drinking & mentally focusing as a discipline

it's basically a prep for everything you have to do after the world starts expectin you to deliver, in that regard

for real though without spellcheck you will never be taken seriously, even sober...its some shit

hanks for the thorough response man. But Im sayin tho, most of them songs off that album hold up to today. Like Kick Along? If our flave of the day artist dropped that today ninjas would be like "oh sheeeeeeeeit. that dude blacked out"

see i wanna agree with that wholeheartledly

but then you gotta realize the era we're in: if you & i were somehow pete rock & CL today and we released the creator, or even T.R.O.Y. tomorrow on datpiff etc you think people would notice? i mean this thread would go ape but outside of the heads, would it stand out?

like if follow the leader or even some hot shit like don't sweat the technique dropped tomorrow sure we'd talk about it before the next big thing, but not only would it not put up #'s (not like that's the proper metric but still), but influence at this point? you can't take the track out of that era, the window was a part of it's power.

edit jay elec ain't foolin no one past a melancholy PD/PP at this point. nuts on the table: shenmue 3 happens before his shit drops

cdyhybrid

LjZUWpF.png

This shit is a joke. Tom Ford...seriously? This is the same BP3 shit: rapping over beats he can't catch. This is a track ASAP, Q, Meek, Ross etc would utterly destroy. Jay sounds out of his element shouting out H Town and "keep it trill" like he's Drake. People are cosigning this song?

Ross on the next track sounding in his element. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow.

HiiiLife

This shit is a joke. Tom Ford...seriously? This is the same BP3 shit: rapping over beats he can't catch. This is a track ASAP, Q, Meek, Ross etc would utterly destroy. Jay sounds out of his element shouting out H Town and "keep it trill" like he's Drake. People are cosigning this song?

Ross on the next track sounding in his element. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow.

:(

IrishNinja

aint even heard shit yet but ill hedge my bets with my dude hiilife before PD; i love my nas stan camp here (shoutout to detox) but PD tweets #fuckaCamel on the daily so it's hard to treat this as unbiased

This has nothing to do with Nas. The album starts with top 40 radio pop intro that morphs into a crazy beat, then back to a boring 20/20 JT pop track for the chorus. All while Jay tries to catch the beat. Second track is better, love the live bass, but it feels like a track that Jay could have murdered but didn't. Then I heard Tom Ford and realized this was déjà vu: overproduced takes on the current mainstream sound, with Jay trying to catch the beat.

Is someone going to honestly tell me Jay handled Tom Ford well? I can hear Rocky on that beat, I can hear Danny Brown in it..,straight up killing it. Jay weaves in and out without finding a wave to ride.

Those are just late night thoughts. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow. I know this has dope tracks, I heard some on Flex's show.

son
son
im sayin tho
when im drunk, i aint go no other home but here

for real tho trackmasters what happened there

I started wondering the same.

2000, critically acclaimed and commercially successful.
They sign 50 and produce most of his first album. He gets shot so there's bad press and Colombia Records has them drop him. Album gets shelved and 50's got beef ever since.

Early 2000s they do some singles and remixes. 2002 they do Jenny from the Block and some other stuff. They produce Best of Both Worlds, Jay-Z & R-Kelly's collaboration album.
It's hyped to sell millions until piss on you hits the news and Def Jam cuts all promotional material for the album.
Jay-Z refuses to be seen with R. Kelly. Doesn't sell well and they they can't tour because of the charges. Def Jam and Jay-Z get thirsty when they see how well R. Kelly's solo release does in 03'.
TrackMasters produce the 2nd album and it sells less than the first. That tour goes to shit too and R. Kelly gets pepper sprayed by one of Jiggas guys.

In 03', 50 is blowing up. TrackMasters done fucked up. The rap game is moving away from sample based beats, going for that cheap synth production. TrackMasters naturally in less demand, aren't pulling same kind of $ as before.
By 05', they're doing a Vanilla Ice song.

They lose their mainstream appeal. Sometime after 2005 they call it quit. Poke becomes a television producer and Tone does A&R. In 07', they regroup and since then their biggest song is One More Drink (2008).

IrishNinja

I started wondering the same.

2000, critically acclaimed and commercially successful.
They sign 50 and produce most of his first album. He gets shot so there's bad press and Colombia Records has them drop him. Album gets shelved and 50's got beef ever since.

Early 2000s they do some singles and remixes. 2002 they do Jenny from the Block and some other stuff. They produce Best of Both Worlds, Jay-Z & R-Kelly's collaboration album.
It's hyped to sell millions until piss on you hits the news and Def Jam cuts all promotional material for the album.
Jay-Z refuses to be seen with R. Kelly. Doesn't sell well and they they can't tour because of the charges. Def Jam and Jay-Z get thirsty when they see how well R. Kelly's solo release does in 03'.
TrackMasters produce the 2nd album and it sells less than the first. That tour goes to shit too and R. Kelly gets pepper sprayed by one of Jiggas guys.

In 03', 50 is blowing up. TrackMasters done fucked up. The rap game is moving away from sample based beats, going for that cheap synth production. TrackMasters naturally in less demand, aren't pulling same kind of $ as before.
By 05', they're doing a Vanilla Ice song.

They lose their mainstream appeal. Sometime after 2005 they call it quit. Poke becomes a television producer and Tone does A&R. In 07', they regroup and since then their biggest song is One More Drink (2008).

goddamn
i gotta be missing details here, cause if not this is the rawest deal anyone got since slick rick, shit's damn near tragic

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
goddamn
i gotta be missing details here, cause if not this is the rawest deal anyone got since slick rick, shit's damn near tragic

My man who is a producer "interned" for them a few years back and from what I understand they set themselves up like a lot of other named producers now. Basically brokering other people (up and comers) beats. That was a few years ago but trust they aren't starving.

On another note the producer game is dirtier than the rap game right now... Probably because there is more guaranteed money in it.

::Edit I might be thinking the Hitmen.... I got to talk to dude tomorrow and ask again.

from the MCHG thread

Just finished listening will give my impressions after a second listen but I can say this is his best album since American Gangster and TIED with Yeezus for best produced albums this year. OH and HEAVEN >>>>>>>>>

IrishNinja

My man who is a producer "interned" for them a few years back and from what I understand they set themselves up like a lot of other named producers now. Basically brokering other people (up and comers) beats. That was a few years ago but trust they aren't starving.

On another note the producer game is dirtier than the rap game right now... Probably because there is more guaranteed money in it.

i mean, from the somewhat varied sounds i'd hear them on & the realities of shit right now, all that sounds legit, but still....we've got swizzy defenders in here based on his bigger singles, weird to not see trackmasters get namedropped here & there i'd think

side note: Tom Ford hook is possibly one of the worst ive heard since stay schemin', why would you do that to this beat + the amount of hook artists jay prolly has on speed dial man

from the MCHG thread

Just finished listening will give my impressions after a second listen but I can say this is his best album since American Gangster and TIED with Yeezus for best produced albums this year. OH and HEAVEN >>>>>>>>>

yeah i mean im clearly early on here but so far its like that debut commercial; i dont think the beats were gonna be anyone's real concern here

IrishNinja

this album ain't bad so far but it's feelin mad forgettable

bout par for the course really, hov stans givin up hope on another black album or somethin like life is good at this point

caesar

Banned
The only impression MCHG left on me is that it sounds expensive? I dunno.

You know you puttin this shit on at a party though.

This has nothing to do with Nas. The album starts with top 40 radio pop intro that morphs into a crazy beat, then back to a boring 20/20 JT pop track for the chorus. All while Jay tries to catch the beat. Second track is better, love the live bass, but it feels like a track that Jay could have murdered but didn't. Then I heard Tom Ford and realized this was déjà vu: overproduced takes on the current mainstream sound, with Jay trying to catch the beat.

Is someone going to honestly tell me Jay handled Tom Ford well? I can hear Rocky on that beat, I can hear Danny Brown in it..,straight up killing it. Jay weaves in and out without finding a wave to ride.

Those are just late night thoughts. I'll listen to the rest tomorrow. I know this has dope tracks, I heard some on Flex's show.

Yeah, his flow is trash on Tom Ford.

IrishNinja

okay, final track nickels & dimes wasn't bad, so IrishNinja's reckless 1st playthrough impressions:

on the high end

ibpAr0XJT0B3MU.gif

on the lower

JqKDnwJ.jpg

caesar

Banned
People are feeling Part II (On The Run)? Sounds wack to me.

Tom Ford
Picasso Baby
fuckwithmeyouknowigotit
Oceans
somewhereinamerica
Crown
Heaven
Versus + Beach is Better (too short though)

And then there is shit like La Familia... :/

7/10

Fjordson

Basically echo what a lot of others are saying for MCHG. A lot of the production is fire, but Jay is just sort of...there. Sounds lost on some of the tracks (like Tom Ford).

I can see where his head is at (sponsorship deals, sports agency, touring, record exec). Dude isn't hungry anymore unfortunately.

Like remember when there was all that negative press after BP2, and Hov dropped a mix tape? Or after Black Album.

After his "retirement", he was on a bunch of remixes and killing it. It's like after American Gangster, he just started coasting (Swagger Like Us, So Appalled, Mr. carter, Monster, etc.). Like despite his last few albums, Eminem can still go in the booth. He's just not sonically there. Also, let's be honest, Hov has never been good at concept albums or being artistic like a Nas or Kanye.

Those Samsung commercials were just gassing people up with the beats and his concept talk.

PBY

Banned
Kanye needs a verse on crown. Also the beat is cool, but I don't know what's up w the sample. It's mixed so low.

Detox

I'm dying here as much as I take the piss out of Jay I always thought he is one of the mc's who studies the technique for decades and no matter what would happen he would come technically correct. It's hilarious hearing him struggle over these beats. The beats give him no room to rap not sure if it's his fault or the producers nevertheless it doesn't seem like he is saying anything.

Detox

Not feeling this REKS at all it all just coalesces into a pile of blandness. There are some songs I'll probably listen to a couple more times. Bout to dive into this Jon Connor.

geetec

Neo Member
Ether is maybe the most overrated beef song of all time

Jay had some great shots in the beef as well

Neither dropped a No Vaseline type bomb

For sure, "Takedown" was a great diss track but both that and "Super Ugly" was hollow when compared to "Ether". Also when talking about beef you have to consider the consequence of the actions made, (after acknowledging the 'skilfulness' of the track.)

I recall Jay-Z literally crying, don't you?

And eeeeven on top of that, when beefing the winner is decided through the majorities opinion. We all know, the public opinion was that Nas won with "Ether".

But if you think that personally Jay-Z won, I cannot take that away from you.. That's your opinion.

p.s really love the mixes man, they're dope.

Ghostface moms died :(

Damn that sucks.. sorry to hear for his loss. =[

For sure, "Takedown" was a great diss track but both that and "Super Ugly" was hollow when compared to "Ether". Also when talking about beef you have to consider the consequence of the actions made, (after acknowledging the 'skilfulness' of the track.)

Ehhhhhhhhh, hollow? Really now? I don't know if that's a poor choice of words but Ether is a pretty shallow diss record that sounds like it could have been written by some 3rd grader. It's like that video with the security guard and that ghetto mom with the kids just constantly saying ninja you gay, ninja you gay. I guess if that isn't hollow to you than what was offered in Takedown then IDK, but I would certainly say Ether is a much more hollow and shallow track looking back despite it having more impact.

geetec

Neo Member
Ehhhhhhhhh, hollow? Really now? I don't know if that's a poor choice of words but Ether is a pretty shallow diss record that sounds like it could have been written by some 3rd grader. It's like that video with the security guard and that ghetto mom with the kids just constantly saying ninja you gay, ninja you gay. I guess if that isn't hollow to you than what was offered in Takedown then IDK, but I would certainly say Ether is a much more hollow and shallow track looking back despite it having more impact.

holy shit thats funny. those kids are going to grow up to be fine upstanding members of society.

hahahha, that made me laugh so hard. I knew if I used that word it would tick someone off... is 'pitted' better? :D

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Pacific Rim is Yeezy approved

KANYE WEST ‏@kanyewest 2m
I saw a pre-screening of Pacific Rim yesterday and it's easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

KANYE WEST ‏@kanyewest 1m
This is not another "Robot" movie. Guillermo del Toro is a master.

If that movie turns out to be dope I will be so happy because I've had my doubts about it.

lol how some sites are trying to spin that tweet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom