• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

spring breakers. legit good or just tits and ass?

this movie has become somewhat of an inside joke between me and my gf. ever since we saw the trailer in the theatre I've been pestering her to go see it with me at least a few times a week, and it annoyed her to no end lol. when it left theatres the nagging switched to "we've gotta see it when it comes out on video!"

we were browsing the Playstation Store last night and there was a banner advertising that you can download it prior to the Blu Ray release, we just looked at each other and she was like, "NO".

Pol_Pothead

Neo Member

Springbreakers is cool. It's like a hazy daydream like depiction of some fucked up idea of the American dream. Regarding the discussion on Jay-Z and corporate sponsorship though I don't think the effect on the rap or music game in general will be so huge. Only the most popular acts would be able to have such opportunity and it's not like corporations won't sponsor certain acts without buying a bunch of albums. Rick Ross had a sweet sponsorship until... you know the whole molly in the drink thing. But people gonna keep pushing and doing their thing regardless. That's how you get 16 year old girls contributing to big rap stars albums and such.

Edit: Hell even The Cool Kids brought music out through Mountain Dew once. I ain't sure they even pushed 100000 copies of When Fish Ride Bicycles when that shit came out. No shots but they are nowhere near the top tiers of rap popularity.

808s clicks with you right after a breakup no doubt.

Cast man, we've all been there. First girlfriend is exactly that, only your first.

Praying for you and your moms, you too count.

As for being broke? Use it as motivation. I grew up in a bad area with nothing and I just graduated college this year. Anything is possible.

Chin up guys. Positivity is your saving grace in these situations.

Esch

Banned
Iol at all these cats who listen to trap, 2013 prodigy, stan Kanye West, and listen to klvn shit complaining about Jay on the mic

Twilight zone

Because of Crown. I decided to finally listen to Owl Pharaoh.

I need to buy me a castle now.

edit:

Is A$AP Ferg's only goal in life is to ruin good songs with his shit?

HiResDes

Spring Breakers - Harmony Korine definitely seems a bit obsessed with various teen subcultures and how they influence teen sexuality and physical aggression. Spring Breakers definitely seems like a spiritual sequel to K.I.D.S as there's a common dialogue that can be found between the two. Spring Breaker's is a filthy hyper-stimulating trash of a film with uncensored music videos spliced throughout it. The cuts are dauntingly fast to the point of becoming both nauseating and nonsensical, and the plot often progresses in a sudden and sporadic fashion. The conflict between morality and immorality, and the resulting loss of teen innocence is a theme that you would present itself quite naturally in a film about four girls making a trip to Florida for Spring Break. However, none of the plot devices function in a fluid fashion and everything about them and their enactors seems forced. Spring Breakers possesses the most painstakingly annoying uses of foreshadowing I've ever seen from the shallow Aptronyms in the main character's names, to the random gun shots that can be heard throughout the film, and also all of the sudden flash cuts to the future. The imagery of the film is definitely quite brilliant at times, capturing the provocative, unsettling and atavistic in such a bold fashion, but the ridiculous direction the plot goes is in becomes counterintuitive to the point where the whole things feels like some sort of sad, sick inside joke. 5/10

IrishNinja

Iol at all these cats who listen to trap, 2013 prodigy, stan Kanye West, and listen to klvn shit complaining about Jay on the mic

Twilight zone

should we just not act like dude put out an upper tier of quality once? again i know most people prolly didnt expect jordan to come back and play like he did before, but that don't mean we hadda act like shit wasn't disappointing sometimes

Gave it an actual listen.

Yay yay:
Holy Grail (JT trying to bring the whole song down)
Somewhere in America
Picasso Baby (beat change is a nah)
Crown
Heaven
Versus (should have developed this)
Beach Is Better (see above)
BBC

Nah nah:
Tom Ford
Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit
Oceans
F.U.T.W.
Blue
La Familia
Nickels & Dimes

Hell Nah:
Part II (On the Run)

It's all a bit lifeless. Even the good tracks don't hype me much. Got that Life is Good souless competence, inoffensive sound, hot off the press.

Nas vs Jay? Who gives a shit, it's 2013.

Macca

Wanted to post this last night, but had no internets :( still relevant.

1KZgCKu.png

thabiz

I just can't get the man off my back.

Danny Brown is a big part of the problem too. As people noted, he basically sold the soul of his music for rebadged Toyota's.
after all that you still have no idea what we are talking about. this has nothing to do with corporate sponsorship. its the ownership that is the problem.

but who the fuck cares. as long as I get to bump it in the whip right?

Twilight zone
Since when are any of them in the GOAT discussion. Hov straight up wasted beats and dropped the ball. As did Prodigy, but at least Albert Einstein has a handful of dope tracks.

I don't listen to trap, I don't stan Kanye, I don't listen to Ethel Wolf shit. My taste is pretty damn unarguable breh. Production wise this is what I'd want a Rick Ross album to sound like. He has the presence and flow to settle into these beats. Rocky or Danny Brown would straight up ride them. This sounds like a beats album someone remixed with vocals.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Posted in the Q2 thread, might as well have posted it here

Got that French Montana... its lame as fuck besides "aint worried bout nothin" every song is annoying.

Just also listened to 12 Reasons to Die, and wow, i liked it alot. Dont listen to many rap concept albums, so that was great. Def gonna listen to the whole thing again. only a couple songs sound like they can hold their own, most work with the album.

What are some other good concept albums?

thabiz

sounds like spring breakers is at least a good watch. maybe not a great piece of cinema, but i wasnt expecting that.

into the cart it goes.

Got that French Montana... its lame as fuck besides "aint worried bout nothin" every song is annoying.

Just also listened to 12 Reasons to Die, and wow, i liked it alot. Dont listen to many rap concept albums, so that was great. Def gonna listen to the whole thing again. only a couple songs sound like they can hold their own, most work with the album.

Yea? Ain't worried about nothing is like the most annoying song on there to me hah

HiResDes

Jeremiah Jae & Oliver - Rawhyde
Danny Brown - XXX (Loose concept)

DominoKid

should we just not act like dude put out an upper tier of quality once? again i know most people prolly didnt expect jordan to come back and play like he did before, but that don't mean we hadda act like shit wasn't disappointing sometimes

we cant talk because we dont listen to people that "can rap"

or something.

Detox

Is it just completely Jay's fault he can't rap over the beats? I think the producers are partly to blame too they should have given him some room to get some decent bars in there. There's so many pauses where you can tell he would rather go on it's very weird. Jay is infamous for the one take, but whatever he was hearing in his head while writing doesn't work over these beats. Like Phoenix said it's as if the vocals were mixed in later or maybe they went back and added more to the beats not sure what it is.

DominoKid

Is it just completely Jay's fault he can't rap over the beats? I think the producers are partly to blame too they should have given him some room to get some decent bars in there. There's so many pauses where you can tell he would rather go on it's very weird. Jay is infamous for the one take, but whatever he was hearing in his head while writing doesn't work over these beats. Like Phoenix said it's as if the vocals were mixed in later or maybe they went back and added more to the beats not sure what it is.

Its completely his fault. Either he cant identify the grooves in the beats, or his brain just doesn't hit with the precision that it used to.

thabiz

Its completely his fault. Either he cant identify the grooves in the beats, or his brain just doesn't hit with the precision that it used to.

i only listened to a couple of songs, but there's something very off with his delivery on Holy Grail. it weaves off and on the beat. odd. something off with the sync. poorly mixed.

It's basically the producers thinking that he's still the Jay who can weave in and out of crazy production, and also Jay being too competitive to admit he can't handle something. He's rapping like these are soul sample loops or some shit.

Jay Z jacks MIA's bad girls in Tom Ford. also he's all over the place on this album, i don't like his flow on this one.

good beats though, bang this in the rap car.

also regarding yeezus...it's still a better album. though his lyrics aint shit to write home about either. until we get to hold my liquor.

hold my liquor is song of the year. it's powerful. it's cinematic. this the type of shit that makes the air feel different when you listen.

DJ+Khaled.png

Recon

Banned
I really like MCHG...*shrugs* But I am one of those fools that likes trap, weed rap, and other "shit" sub-genres of rap.

Jay Z jacks MIA's bad girls in Tom Ford. also he's all over the place on this album, i don't like his flow on this one.

good beats though, bang this in the rap car.

also regarding yeezus...it's still a better album. though his lyrics aint shit to write home about either. until we get to hold my liquor.

hold my liquor is song of the year. it's powerful. it's cinematic. this the type of shit that makes the air feel different when you listen.

DJ+Khaled.png

Hold My Liquor and Blood On The Leaves are my 1-A , 1-B tracks of the year.

The Somewhere in America beat deserved so much better than that =/

WTT both did themselves a disservice this month. This was just another business deal for Jay, and it showed in his delivery and content.

*double-clicks SAAAB Stories*

Detox

Why did Mike Will give him that Beach beat, he should have gone with someone who would guarantee a single off it. Shit got wasted, should have been Jeezy and Tity. Fuck that buzz, the blackhole bass, the drums melding with the melodious chimes . Didn't think Mike had something like that in him he will definitely cement himself as a top tier producer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom