• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
I'm pretty indifferent. Corporate sponsorship can do a lot of good, if done well. They also can result in gross shilling, but that's not enough for me to swear it off altogether.

Where's the limit? Aftermath selling 10m of Kendricks sophomore album to Beats by Dre for 20cents a piece. Buying the number one slot and then dominating the airwaves is a good marketing scheme for those already there with a reputation and for the sponsoring organisation.

They do not count albums that sell for that cheap. So even if that did happen, he wouldn't even be considered for diamond status.
Why does this bother you guys so much?

I think they've explained pretty well why.

thabiz

How many rappers would corporations really be willing to spend 5 mil though on nowadays? Honest question

a handful and thats the problem. risk vs return. this is a very bad precedent. it means that you no longer have to worry about return on artist investment. you know before jay-z goes into the studio that they have a guaranteed return. you dont have to spend a dime on marketing, because samsung is going to do it all for you.

your choice becomes smaller and smaller. can i find what i like? sure. but these artists will never be more than bandcamp artists in this future. and lets be honest. most want to hit it big, so why even bother to make music, when you know that you will never make it. it will choke off creativity.

for the record, i worked a&r at koch, and have seen this first hand. when i was there, it was literally one chosen out of thousands. taking on an artist is a big financial risk. now imagine if you have a choice. money upfront with guaranteed record sales on an established artist, or years of spending money, nurturing, hoping they hit it big. this is bad. artist development will disappear.

Esch

Banned
ets be real, if anything over the past 48 months has been true, it's that labels dont promote or support young artists anyway. The cats who have succeeded with the mainstream; Drake, Rocky, Cole, Kendrick... Have all more or less put themselves on.

You gotta be self made in this era, period. Thats really been true for years and years and years now. Yet the underground is still flourishing.

thabiz

ets be real, if anything over the past 48 months has been true, it's that labels dont promote or support young artists anyway. The cats who have succeeded with the mainstream; Drake, Rocky, Cole, Kendrick... Have all more or less put themselves on.

You gotta be self made in this era, period. Thats really been true for years and years and years now. Yet the underground is still flourishing.

but currently there is an avenue to make it big. this avenue will shrink, become fiercely competitive and eventually die. we are seeing this with video games, movies, etc.

Esch

Banned
but currently there is an avenue to make it big. this avenue will shrink, become fiercely competitive and eventually die. we are seeing this with video games, movies, etc.

Yeah and in both of those industries the majors are headed directly, of their own volition, right into the grave. The console industry and blockbusters will die, and get replaced with self published indies and smaller, leaner efforts. We may lose some grandiosity, but i'm fine with it, it'll ultimately result in more consumer choice and better pricing.

The same is true with music. It already happened with books and comics, big publishing houses pared down to nothing.

Bring it on.

Detox

They do not count albums that sell for that cheap. So even if that did happen, he wouldn't even be considered for diamond status.

I think they've explained pretty well why.

Is the limit $5? I'm sure if Jimmy Iovine leans on them that story will change as well, as long as the big execs want it the riaa will bend.

thabiz

trent reznor is a perfect example. went indie, released albums, saw no return. only made money on tours, but that funding is only coming from outside investors, and his own pocket. it eventually becomes not worth the hassle and cost, and he had to go crawling back to a major to make it profitable for him. and hes a pretty big name. radiohead did the same thing. its just not worth the financial risk to do it on your own.

Esch

Banned
Juicy J- Yet

juicy-j-o.gif

Jay just took a curry induced shit from the 12th floor on Yeezus god damn.

On my 4th listen now. Listened to Yeezus twice before it became stale.

Kanye needs an album where he isn't in complete creative control, look at WTT. People complained about Jays influence on that. But WTT was miles better than this Yeezus bullshit.

mooooose

Only song I really liked was Somewhere in America. I thought that was a Pharrell x Timbo beat and it was like the only beat they didn't do LOL.

CRS

Is the limit $5? I'm sure if Jimmy Iovine leans on them that story will change as well, as long as the big execs want it the riaa will bend.
$3.50 iirc

trent reznor is a perfect example. went indie, released albums, saw no return. only made money on tours, but that funding is only coming from outside investors, and his own pocket. it eventually becomes not worth the hassle and cost, and he had to go crawling back to a major to make it profitable for him. and hes a pretty big name. radiohead did the same thing. its just not worth the financial risk to do it on your own.
Obviously there are exceptions but a hip-hop tour budget is a fraction of that of a Radiohead or NIN tour.

A DJ and a laptop doesn't cost as much as a full band setup.

thabiz

$3.50 iirc

Obviously there are exceptions but a hip-hop tour budget is a fraction of that of a Radiohead or NIN tour.

A DJ and a laptop doesn't cost as much as a full band setup.

im not directly comparing budgets. i just used it as an example.

you also get into corporate sponsors owning these venues, which will only allow their artists to perform.

imagine AEG didnt own Coachella, but Pepsi did. think about the ramifications of that.

PBY

Banned

Kanye needs an album where he isn't in complete creative control, look at WTT. People complained about Jays influence on that. But WTT was miles better than this Yeezus bullshit.
Kanye carried Jay through WTT what are you talking about. Conceptually, sonically- that was all Kanye.

And re: Yeezus, that's fine to think that, but creative control isn't the problem. Jays album shows no vision or concept. At least Yeezus is pure Kanye coming thru.

HiResDes

What Peterb0y said, and you're dead wrong about MCHG, the producers carried and put him on an IV and he still sounds lifeless.

Kanye carried Jay through WTT what are you talking about. Conceptually, sonically- that was all Kanye.

And re: Yeezus, that's fine to think that, but creative control isn't the problem. Jays album shows no vision or concept. At least Yeezus is pure Kanye coming thru.

No vision or concept? Its a Jay album, its what is generally expected from a Jay-Z album. Kanye just tried too hard to be artsy or whatever the fuck he was doing.

On songs like Blood on The Leaves or Hold My Liquor it shows he can do these type of songs well. Because they are great really, but overall the album was terrible.

If thats pure Kanye he can keep his music. I think with the right exec. producer to keep Kanye from way too far out he can make a decent album. He needs a balance between his crazy art side and his rap music side.

MCHG is twice the album Yeezus is though. Yeezus has a vision and a concept, nut they are executed horribly.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
'cast, get drunk and go to the fireworks and pickup on some rebound chica and nut on her face right as the finale begins.

You'll feel better.

overcast

First girlfriend, a year and 7 months. I have no idea how to deal with this situation.

Broke as fuck, mom has cancer. Fucked my summer up something severe right now.

CRS

im not directly comparing budgets. i just used it as an example.

you also get into corporate sponsors owning these venues, which will only allow their artists to perform.

imagine AEG didnt own Coachella, but Pepsi did. think about the ramifications of that.

Venues big enough to warrant a corporate sponsor owner, like your centers, stadiums, and pavilions only host big artists like Jay, Kanye, and Drake. Popular artists will continue to sell thousands and everyone else will continue to perform in your clubs and bars. And I don't see Pepsi, Microsoft, etc. buying up smaller venues just to host their up and coming artists. And do venues have the flexibility to be selective with performers where the venue can be profitable?

So what if Pepsi owned Coachella? Other festivals, without exclusive sponsorship, can and will take Coachella's place that can bring a wide enough range of artists on Coachella's level.

Worst case scenario I can see happening is labels adding a clause in an artist's contract where the artists can only perform in sanctioned venues. That would be horrible but that's imposing on an artist's main income so I don't see that happening. It would suck if it did though.

CRS

Sorry to hear that Count. Keep your head up and be strong for not just yourself but for your Grandma too.

Overcast, try not to think about it and fuck someone to get you by. Use the festivities to your advantage.

thabiz

Worst case scenario I can see happening is labels adding a clause in an artist's contract where the artists can only perform in sanctioned venues. That would be horrible but that's imposing on an artist's main income so I don't see that happening. It would suck if it did though.

if you only had a couple of labels to sign with, and they all did they same thing, your kinda fucked.

i think PP's scenario is the most likely in the near future, since we sort of see it today. Jay-Z's next album will be exclusive to Samsung. want the album? buy our phone. of course you have piracy, blah, blah, blah. this can only get worse as the corporations get bigger and control more of the market and power.

hell, look at canada. we have basically 2 companies controlling most of the entertainment up here. trust me. you do not want to live in this scenario. its horrible.

caesar

Banned
First girlfriend, a year and 7 months. I have no idea how to deal with this situation.

Broke as fuck, mom has cancer. Fucked my summer up something severe right now.

Work on something, your image, new job, personality, anything. Just upgrade yourself until you don't miss her.

caesar

Banned
Haha I'm not a big Jay fan and this is the only song I'll keep in rotation.

That's my favourite as well, dat beat so good.

I just listened to the album twice, then went and listened to Hold My Liquor and it's just like I can't go back again now. Saturday night I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom