• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
what

I'm convinced you don't have ears. BBC is a mess, the hook or whatever the fuck it is is muddled and incomprehensible, none of the percussion is good or bassy or punchy, neither guy dropped a good verse, it's just a stumbling ball of failure. I'm considering deleting it, that's how poor it is. And I never do that for any album. Drunk and Hot girls status.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with Esch, but he's right. You people, between this an Yeezus ball washing, have lost your goddamn minds. I can't even take y'all seriously anymore with this shit. BBC is straight buttcrack

Esch

Banned
My Wife left me and is now suing me knowing damn well I don't have that kind of money

Life is Good

I wish Hov lost more at life so he had more struggle shit to rap about
mysmilie_1242.gif

WanderingWind

Nas should spend more time falling deeper into a made up persona of himself slinging crack outside a jewelry store. That'll be dat real shit peeps crave.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't believe I'm agreeing with Esch, but he's right. You people, between this an Yeezus ball washing, have lost your goddamn minds. I can't even take y'all seriously anymore with this shit. BBC is straight buttcrack
Your eyes need washing if you think I've been ballwashing Yeezus, I've been increasingly critical of it and rank it amongst Ye's worst, possibly the worst album he's done (not enough time to tell). Not every stan goes full in.

The production doesn't need to have some trap bass for it to be a good beat, seriously, is this the only thing people listen for anymore in rap production? Shit makes your head nod alongside of it, and I'm glad they're mixing it up with some of that instrumentation and brought some of that old school bump back with the help of that simple piano loop. Maybe the tambourines or whatever are excess, but they're not offensive. If those weren't there people might agree with me, but they wouldn't change it that much IMO.

WanderingWind

Your eyes need washing if you think I've been ballwashing Yeezus, I've been increasingly critical of it and rank it amongst Ye's worst, possibly the worst album he's done (not enough time to tell). Not every stan goes full in.

The production doesn't need to have some trap bass for it to be a good beat, seriously, is this the only thing people listen for anymore in rap production? Shit makes your head nod alongside of it, and I'm glad they're mixing it up with some of that instrumentation and brought some of that old school bump back with the help of that simple piano loop. Maybe the tambourines or whatever are excess, but they're not offensive. If those weren't there people might agree with me, but they wouldn't change it that much IMO.

I didn't say 'enzo' did I? You ain't you people.

Esch

Banned
I'm chill with no 808s or trap shit period, but Pharrell's drum patterns are aural HIV. Shit immediately takes any of the bite or snap out of a track and turns it into a careening accident of fruitcake and Britney Spears. Plus the way the vocal samples were handled is just straight awful. Unnecessary.

Bey sounds nice on On the Run tho, and JT obviously did his thing on HG, so it's w/e. One or two awful tracks is straight.

I don't get why when someone complains about drums or bass, Enzo seems to think people want trap drums or bass as if that's the only type that sounds remotely good lol

Esch

Banned
the best/funniest part of MCHG tho is Jay coming at Miley for her previous comments on some vindictive shit. now people gon be shitting on her all year.

#NeverDissACamel

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't get why when someone complains about drums or bass, Enzo seems to think people want trap drums or bass as if that's the only type that sounds remotely good lol
I don't do that often at all. Esch just cited it not being bassy or punchy, which is sorta a good description for that sort of production.

Maybe I'm just hype TImbo is killing the game this year, IDK

DominoKid

man i thought it was really big of Timbo to admit that he was the cause of the problems between him and Hov.

on the Yeezus 2 tip. considering Kanye specifically asked him to redo the drums for Stronger, I'm surprised they haven't worked together more. i'd love to see what they could cook up.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I might actually give Cole another shot, if he uses some of the shit Timbo sent him. He's had a good year, this first half of 2013.

Mike Will is another one. It's a tragedy his beat was wasted on this effort.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
man i thought it was really big of Timbo to admit that he was the cause of the problems between him and Hov.

on the Yeezus 2 tip. considering Kanye specifically asked him to redo the drums for Stronger, I'm surprised they haven't worked together more. i'd love to see what they could cook up.
I would want to see Timbo and Ye actually in the studio together for a full LP rather than just Timbo sending Ye beats.

Maybe that's what we'll see for WTT2? Pretty sure Jay will want Timbo to do something on there and Ye will ofcourse be overseeing all production.

Timbo is killing it this year, I agree. I honestly didn't think he would be able to make a comeback
It seems like he's a lot more open with who he's working with too now. He seemed really bitter about everyone in the game when he went on The Breakfast Club with Missy. I want to see him work with some of the new blood and I wonder how many or who he is actually open to working with.

I would want to see Timbo and Ye actually in the studio together for a full LP rather than just Timbo sending Ye beats.

Maybe that's what we'll see for WTT2? Pretty sure Jay will want Timbo to do something on there and Ye will ofcourse be overseeing all production.

I don't want this. Ye can't handle overseeing a whole albums production anymore. The mess that Yeezus was has made me lose all faith I ever had in the guy

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I don't want this. Ye can't handle overseeing a whole albums production anymore. The mess that Yeezus was has made me lose all faith I ever had in the guy

kinda like jcole with "the bench and me" everything before that was like "aww shit can't wait for the album. then it drops. and no gaffer wants to admit born thinner born sinner is anygood.

I really don't get how people are so offended by MCHG tho. I mean you'd swear Jay has been dropping lyrical heat right up until this album dropped.

MCHG is typical of a Jay-Z album in the last couple years. Nothing really spectacular or standout, but a solid album that rides the whole way.

There's no straight up bad tracks, at the same time there's no standout masterpieces either. Jay isn't going hard, but it's not like he's terrible either.

People really should've known what to expect.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I would much rather they went back to the OG idea of WTT with a nice broad spectrum of producers.
I want the OG idea of WTT in terms of content more than anything else out of WTT.

We got hints of that on Yeezus, but that project transformed into more of a musical experiment and that guided the rest of it by the end of it (alongside laying down 2 last minute verses or so).

I can't agree with 36, there's nobody I can think of outside of Dre that I'd want executively producing an album with a variety of sounds. Maybe Alc. The way Ye is able to compress all the different sounds on Yeezus and make them sound like they belong is something else.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I can't agree with 36, there's nobody I can think of outside of Dre that I'd want executively producing an album with a variety of sounds. Maybe Alc. The way Ye is able to compress all the different sounds on Yeezus and make them sound like they belong is something else.

pzYXSfP.gif

Esch

Banned
I feel it like this:

Some people still have Reasonable Doubt esque expectations on this dude's 12th studio album. It's a double standard, but hey, it's the most famous rapper in the world and an all time great. it might be merited, shit. I can deal with the high standards, but I can't take cats seriously who listen to and stan for the shittiest, bottom barrel rappers complaining about Jay's bars because they listen to, endorse, and love terrible raps every single day.

Some other people are just mad that Jay writes about winning too much. It's understood, because the average man identifies more with losing and being poor (even if they're winning and rich.

Some people are Nas stans.

Some people are disappointed fans.

I personally enjoy MCHG. It's not a landmark achievement. But it's still chock full of catchy, memorable, enjoyable shit. It could definitely use some more lyrical bon mots, but when I hear this shit i'm not bitter because "Schoolboy Q should have had this beat !(lmfao)". These cats won't ever realize that literally nobody else in the game is capable of tackling and orchestrating a project as wide and resource heavy as this joint and not fail at it. You'll hear people cry and cry about how Jay-Z ruined the beats or album, but they'll never get that their favorite bum never had the right to pull these excaliburs from their stones.

I personally enjoy MCHG. It's not a landmark achievement. But it's still chock full of catchy, memorable, enjoyable shit. It could definitely use some more lyrical bon mots, but when I hear this shit i'm not bitter because "Schoolboy Q should have had this beat !(lmfao)". These cats won't ever realize that literally nobody else in the game is capable of tackling and orchestrating a project as wide and resource heavy as this joint and not fail at it. You'll hear people cry and cry about how Jay-Z ruined the beats or album, but they'll never get that their favorite bum never had the right to pull these excaliburs from their stones.

This nails it right here. This paragraph.

Yeah, it's a fun beat. Cheesy as hell, but you think it's taking itself seriously? BBC is cheddar, Oceans be that cheez wiz (those horns are garbage). Whose nodding their head to Frank Ocean's chorus or Beyonce on Part II. BBC's got a more fitting BPM than half the shit on MCHG, unless you into barbiturate Jay.

DominoKid

as far as the expectations of Hov himself on MCHG? i didn't expect much because as a rapper, Hov hasn't been spectacular since the Black Album. other than Thank You, i cant think of a Hov verse where I thought "damn i really need to hear that again." but i definitely expected more than the struggle flows we got. i just don't understand how he let his flow, his strongest feature as a rapper, get so far away from him.

so yeah, while other artists may not have been able to get these beats or pull this project together, you have to be really in Hov's corner to say he didn't waste them in the sense that other artists wouldn't have put these beats to much better use. because they would. he brought absolutely nothing to them. flow, content, engaging deliveries, etc. and this is wearing my super-critical hat, because i actually really love the album. it checks a lot of my boxes, but it could've been that much better w/ a Hov in better form.

I want the OG idea of WTT in terms of content more than anything else out of WTT.

We got hints of that on Yeezus, but that project transformed into more of a musical experiment and that guided the rest of it by the end of it (alongside laying down 2 last minute verses or so).

Yep.
there's a lot of things you can say about Yeezus, but "a mess" it is not. if you don't like it, whatever. it wasn't made for everybody to like.
but i think it's his greatest, most concise and least wasteful of his albums. the sound itself is so self-indulgent that the actual music doesnt have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom