• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Domino, breh, just love the album man. You're already there. Just embrace it. Keep pretending you dont enjoy those Jay swag bars. Fuck a critic shit has me doing the Rick Ross pancake dance.
jawalrus.png

Also @Thabiz or anyone industry involved, is this accurate?

leakgraphic_800.jpg

DominoKid

Domino, breh, just love the album man. You're already there. Just embrace it. Keep pretending you dont enjoy those Jay swag bars. Fuck a critic shit has me doing the Rick Ross pancake dance.
jawalrus.png

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kTPfad7PRRg/Rze72c91ZII/AAAAAAAAAEc/6ZITz4NC1D4/s1600/leakgraphic_800.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

i don't really. the only one that's really caught my ear is the "fuck hashtags and retweets, i got 140 characters in these streets" because it sounds like a lost Gucci Mane line. most of it goes in one ear and out the other.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I personally enjoy MCHG. It's not a landmark achievement. But it's still chock full of catchy, memorable, enjoyable shit. It could definitely use some more lyrical bon mots, but when I hear this shit i'm not bitter because "Schoolboy Q should have had this beat !(lmfao)". These cats won't ever realize that literally nobody else in the game is capable of tackling and orchestrating a project as wide and resource heavy as this joint and not fail at it. You'll hear people cry and cry about how Jay-Z ruined the beats or album, but they'll never get that their favorite bum never had the right to pull these excaliburs from their stones.
My problem with it is completely unmemorable outside of the Tom Ford beat, nor are any of the hooks catchy. The best songs on the album are those that remind you of the old Jay.

I'm not sure what makes it a "landmark achievement" either, usually I save that term for game changing shit or significant adversity involved in the creative process. Calling up 4 Jay stan producers that would do anything for you to work on the biggest artist in the world's album isn't any sort of creative adversity for me. And it's not like it's the first time he's had them all on his albums either.

And the complaints of Jay wasting the beats only comes because he failed to ride them properly in the first place. It would be serviceable if he had some sort of consistent flow with some great punchlines (though I'd still be disappointed because Jay doesn't need to be pandering to other lanes when he has his). People aren't hearing the beats and going "damn this is hot, Q should get this joint" before listening to Jay, just because it's Jay. People are hearing it and going "damn, Jay really wasted this shit, what the fuck did I just listen to, I think Q would've handled it much better, it seems more suited to his skillset." And for the most part, that rings true for most of the beats people are talking about too. Jay doesn't fail lyrically on them, his flow just doesn't produce something fruitful or something you want to hit repeat on immediately. A lot of it is a wrap when it comes to the cadences Jay attacks those beats with anyways. It's sorta akin to when H.A.M. came out.

DominoKid

that Lupe video nobody will watch is cool. it helps that he used 3 of the few good songs on F&L2 as a backdrop for his visuals.

I'm not giving Jay credit for getting these beats. He's one of the most well known rappers alive if not the most well known, has more industry connects and cash than anyone in the industry. Of course he's gonna get tons of great beats, he squandered most of them tho that's the problem.

Esch

Banned
I think it has some enjoyable one liners

Feds still lurking/they see im still putting work in/cuz somewhere in America, Miley Cyrus is still twerking"

Crashing your internet (shit had me lmao after the samsung fiasco)

Got me feeling like Brody in Homeland

Conspiracy theorists screaming illuminati/ they cant believe this much skill is in a human body/he 6'2 how the fuck he fit in a new bugatti/ ah fuck it you got me

There was some sh*t on there about him fucking B like a prostitute and "taking Destiny on a date" that had me like
heh.png

I feel it like this:

Some people still have Reasonable Doubt esque expectations on this dude's 12th studio album. It's a double standard, but hey, it's the most famous rapper in the world and an all time great. it might be merited, shit. I can deal with the high standards, but I can't take cats seriously who listen to and stan for the shittiest, bottom barrel rappers complaining about Jay's bars because they listen to, endorse, and love terrible raps every single day.

Some other people are just mad that Jay writes about winning too much. It's understood, because the average man identifies more with losing and being poor (even if they're winning and rich.

Some people are Nas stans.

Some people are disappointed fans.

I personally enjoy MCHG. It's not a landmark achievement. But it's still chock full of catchy, memorable, enjoyable shit. It could definitely use some more lyrical bon mots, but when I hear this shit i'm not bitter because "Schoolboy Q should have had this beat !(lmfao)". These cats won't ever realize that literally nobody else in the game is capable of tackling and orchestrating a project as wide and resource heavy as this joint and not fail at it. You'll hear people cry and cry about how Jay-Z ruined the beats or album, but they'll never get that their favorite bum never had the right to pull these excaliburs from their stones.

His resources/connections ain't indicative of his talent, at least nowadays. Not sure why that matters as it's got shit to do with the quality of rap on display here. What good are all these beats at your disposal if you can't flow on them? I don't care about Jay's ambitions/intended vision for the album, that shit is irrelevant when I'm listening to it. Tom Ford might of been dope, could've been dope, but only with a rapper that can match the beat. You can say that with most songs on the album. No one's saying any one rapper should try and rap over EVERY beat on the album. Like you said they'd fail, just like Jay does.

What does this even mean? I should give Jay dap for getting a bunch of producers in the studio, even if the product isn't good? The general impression thus far is that the album isn't coherent and featured too many cooks in the kitchen. Grats to Jay for getting them all in the studio, it's impressive. But last time I checked Kanye brought a whole bunch of people into the studio too and came out with My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Jay came out with this. You tell me who won lol.

(and yes, I believe Dark Fantasy badly needed an exec producer but it's a dope album with a coherent tone)

HiResDes

I feel it like this:

Some people still have Reasonable Doubt esque expectations on this dude's 12th studio album. It's a double standard, but hey, it's the most famous rapper in the world and an all time great. it might be merited, shit. I can deal with the high standards, but I can't take cats seriously who listen to and stan for the shittiest, bottom barrel rappers complaining about Jay's bars because they listen to, endorse, and love terrible raps every single day.

Some other people are just mad that Jay writes about winning too much. It's understood, because the average man identifies more with losing and being poor (even if they're winning and rich.

Some people are Nas stans.

Some people are disappointed fans.

So Jay-z is wack as fuck on the beats, but it's okay because only he could have gotten them...This is ass fucking backwards and a stupid stanning ass post.

WTF AM I LISTENING TO? Like these beats need someone like Rocky or 2 Chainz on them. Even Ye would rock these better talking a bunch of bullshit. Jay-Z has nothing to say anymore. Like he's so rich he can't even talk about being rich anymore...

cdyhybrid

My rankings (in no particular order):

Holy Grail
Picasso Baby
Fuckwithmeyouknowigotit
Crown
Heaven
Beach is Better
Nickels and Dimes

Alright

Tom Ford
Oceans
FUTW
Somewhereinamerica
Versus
Part II
Jay Z Blue

Why

BBC
La Familia

Detox

BBC let's get all the big names on the album call up another genius get drunk and record a song, what a waste of talent.

Jay can't even come up with memorable ways to tell us how rich he is. I'm far from a 2 Chainz fan but dude knows how to throw together some witty/funny/memorable brag lines. Jay has next to nothing on this album.

DominoKid

BBC let's get all the big names on the album call up another genius get drunk and record a song, what a waste of talent.

that's probably what happened. and if it didn't then they should lie and say it did.

Jay can't even come up with memorable ways to tell us how rich he is. I'm far from a 2 Chainz fan but dude knows how to throw together some witty/funny/memorable brag lines. Jay has next to nothing on this album.

WTF AM I LISTENING TO? Like these beats need someone like Rocky or 2 Chainz on them. Even Ye would rock these better talking a bunch of bullshit. Jay-Z has nothing to say anymore. Like he's so rich he can't even talk about being rich anymore...

i guess when you're that rich and business savvy it kind of kills the imagination that comes from aspiring to be hella rich? i dunno, i've got nothing lol

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Alright producers

Need help making "funky worm" in FL if anyone has any advice most the youtube stuff is just finished stuff

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Jay always has fat on his album

But compared to BP3 this thing goes

IrishNinja

eash and the hovstan camp still trynna not make this one out to be another disappointment somehow

Wanted to post this last night, but had no internets :( still relevant.

1KZgCKu.png

haha okay i was wylin out a bit but that's when the truth flows

we cant talk because we dont listen to people that "can rap"

or something.

i dunno...i mean i guess, but then again the albums ill defend dont usually require some weird caveat like that

like ye (who very recently made a better album for instance), i like dude but when someone tells me 808's has to be heard after a breakup or something...okay, maybe that'll happen but until then, shit's kinda messy

It's basically the producers thinking that he's still the Jay who can weave in and out of crazy production, and also Jay being too competitive to admit he can't handle something. He's rapping like these are soul sample loops or some shit.

ill give it another rotation but i can kinda see this, yeah

man after Life is Good i was really hoping Jay would somehow feel challenged to step shit up, but parts of this weren't even phoned in, it's a voicemail

But compared to BP3 this thing goes

given the heights he's capable of i don't know how much lower that bar could be tho

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

Fuckwithneuknowigotit was pretty good... Also should be the single then that Timberlake joint

hubes

can we talk about how bad swizz beats is

LETS WORK

shut the fuck up dude. i hate this guy. how are people still letting this dude hop on the mic? how many tracks does he have to sound like a complete idiot on?

kamspy

The instagram line is fantastic.

What timestamp on Tom Ford are you guys hearing struggle at?

The album I guess it would be most apt to compare to would be LIG, and this shits on that from a great height.

codhand

the jay backlash is strong in this thread, it's like people want more experimental shit, im ok with that, but this is a solid album you can play and your older brother wont ask "what the fuck is wrong with you?"

IrishNinja

What timestamp on Tom Ford are you guys hearing struggle at?

sounds like that struggle of a hook kicks in around 0:26 so let's start there

The album I guess it would be most apt to compare to would be LIG, and this shits on that from a great height.

i mean you're totally right
if we're talking about production and not flow, lyricism, actual effort, growth on the artist's part and say general enjoyment then im with you 100% kams

the jay backlash is strong in this thread, it's like people want more experimental shit, im ok with that, but this is a solid album you can play and your older brother wont ask "what the fuck is wrong with you?"

i was using Yeezus just as a parallel to how safe/effortless this is, not at all to say i want jay to do an experimental album - i mean he can't even make coke rap interesting for me at the moment so i damn sure don't wanna see what he sounds like outside of his realm of comfortability...i just wanted something i'd actually want to bump a few weeks from now, and this ain't it so far

Detox

Yeah old man, dad rap kind of like the daft punk drop off. Jay's second try if you count Kingdom Come and both times he fell flat on his face. Nas did it great on LiG but I hope he moves away from that for the next album he can definitely secure the production. The big risk is def jam fucking him over because it's his last album just like Aftermath keep sitting on 50.

IrishNinja

yeah man lemme tell you how much of my musical library is determined by the opinions of my older brother and random ho's tho

codhand

haha fair, i like yeezus better, just dont have my pitchfork out for jay's lyrics here, and the production besides bbc is all aces for me

thabiz

100%. you would be surprised how many people forget to lock up the studio when they go for lunch or are done for the night. although this is changing with everything being recorded digital.

HiResDes

Man Gesus is good, what a snub on my part.

Rawhyde is now up for digital purchase as well:

Edit: The theme seems more forced than Rawhyde at times, which is still in my top 10 this year.

Detox

I think Mike Will should start looking to build his own label and team, his talent is much more than flavour of the month.

Esch

Banned
Deceased.

And yeah what the fuck, I need to stop drunk posting. I do really like the album tho.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football

leakgraphic_800.jpg

The picture that is missing is PR from a label leaking it themselves for some buzz. This had happened to some degree for awhile and after A$AP Rocky's numbers, I wouldn't be shocked if it were more common.

I remember in my DJ-ing days getting 20 copies of CDs in the mail for unreleased albums. Sony in particular was big on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom