• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT8| Let Blackace Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Rewind is dope as fuck. You're the man is also nice. The Flyest. Poison. Listen to it again. I'll take Nas' poetical tinfoil raps over Jay's empty yacht-rap bullshit anyday, doesn't even have the swag to pull it off anymore.

Poison was my college anthem.... I can't understand how someone could say it was just eight..... Smh

Stillmatic was terrible.

Ether was hype at the time and I can still recite the lyrics but it, IMO, is now a sort of juvenile and rumor mongering diss track versus the witty, at your neck insults Takeover produced.

One Mic, Rewind and Second Childhood are like the only tracks I like from the album. It really was a mess and way overrated. Classic it's not.

I also don't count Lost Tapes as "real" Nas album. It's good though.

God's Son is solid. Some of the beats are questionable. I actually preferred Last Real Ninja over Ether since it gave context to the whole beef.

Really, Illmatic is the only Nas album I can mess with. I have them all, but really only bump one or two tracks.

Whereas, even Volume 1 can be listened to front to back.

But this is my opinion. I can see a Nas fan disagreeing.

Esch

Banned
cook your chicken slow and low.

yeah this is pretty much the only solution. Same goes for pork really tbh.

I do like You're The Man for the hook and Rewind is good, but yeah. It's just ok to me.
Same. The sad thing I remember is Jay didn't keep the actual good tracks.

I was just looking at the tracklisting and shit is mostly meh status. A lot of the tracks from the Curse that i liked are missing, smh.

Esch

Banned
If you don't at least count It Was Written as a good album I can't take your opinion seriously.

out of all the Biggie imitations out there it's probably top 5
troll.png

5 mic album

If you don't at least count It Was Written as a good album I can't take your opinion seriously.
Oh well. Keep it moving playa. Opinions are like...

I gave my 2 cents, you gave yours. It's not serious.

I'm not sure if this was posted in OT1-8, but does Joey Bad only rap on mid 90s like beats?

The three mix tapes I've heard all have that 90s vibe. It seems intentional and am wondering if there's anything where he's rhyming on current stuff like Alchemist, Just Blaze, Harry Fraud, etc?

Tokubetsu

I don't know how anyone can call Stillmatic terrible, and then turn around and say God's Son is "solid."

I Can
Made You Look
Book of Rhymes
Get Down

Tops. Using the eschaton scale that's 4/17.

Now let's look at stillmatic. It has one of Nas' most memorable tracks (One Mic), it has the diss track he's known for as well. Braveheart Party was garbage and removed from later pressings but lets still hold it against it. So what other tracks do we subscribe? We can knock "Rule." We're still 13/15.

You're a Nastradamus fan aren't you?

Esch

Banned
I'm not sure if this was posted in OT1-8, but does Joey Bad only rap on mid 90s like beats?

The three mix tapes I've heard all have that 90s vibe. It seems intentional and am wondering if there's anything where he's rhyming on current stuff like Alchemist, Just Blaze, Harry Fraud, etc?
https://soundcloud.com/harryfraud/joey-badass-day-in-the-life
Tops. Using the eschaton scale that's 4/17.

lmao i dont actually mean to use that shit, it does factor into my album reviews tho.

HiResDes

Oh well. Keep it moving playa. Opinions are like...

I gave my 2 cents, you gave yours. It's not serious.

Yeah he's about to drop an album called 2999, featuring production from Flying Lotus, El-P, and Timbaland.

It Was Written is a really good album. I never understood the hate it got aside from not being Illmatic again which is damn near impossible.

And why do people always leave Heaven off the God's Son rankings? One of Nas' best flows. Plus it was in You Got Served. Y'all ain't seen You Got Served or something? Classic hip-hop movie.

Made You Look, I Can, Book of Rhymes, Last Real, Cross (this and Book sound good on God's Stepson), Get Down.

Stillmatic is over rated. But...minus Smokin, the 1st 10 tracks are decent to great. I just hate the last four tracks and they stick out to me, since I remember everyone throwing the classic label (which I didn't agree with Blueprint being called upon release).

Again, Illmatic is like the only album I can still rock. Lost Tapes was cool. I wish they would've dropped Volume 2.

Esch

Banned
It Was Written is a really good album. I never understood the hate it got aside from not being Illmatic again which is damn near impossible..
I think it got a lot of hate back in the day for basically jacking the mafioso shit from guys like Rae/Ghost and obviously the Bad Boy kliq. Thats a fair criticism, but it's whatever. There are actually really stellar songs crafted on the album, but if I was around for that shit I could definitely understand someone looking at it with disdain.
The Fraud killed this beat

He wasted it on Joey Badass. This is the kind of thing Nas should rap over

https://soundcloud.com/harryfraud/joey-badass-day-in-the-life

lmao i dont actually mean to use that shit, it does factor into my album reviews tho.

I heard this before. Yeah, I'd like to him on more modern, quality beats. The 90s beats are solid. But I always feel like I'm taking a time machine back to my teenage years.

And It Was Written was definitely lauded when it dropped. I don't have a problem with the album. Nas turned into a gun and spoke of the Black Girl Lost. It was definitely influenced by the M.O.B.B sound and the pop rap sound. I just don't throw it in the tape deck.

The Purple Tape, Iron Man and Liquid Swords were all ill during that time. Man, I miss the Wu during those days.

Esch

Banned
oh shit! that Toronto flood

i dont know how many of you Canuck bastards are out there but stay safe.

#prayfordiscotheque

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
oh shit! that Toronto flood

i dont know how many of you Canuck bastards are out there but stay safe.

#prayfordiscotheque

i hate to be on any of the transit systems right now. hell id hate to be on the transit system period.

#TTC&GOareass
its pretty crazy
stay dry bizz. remember if you catch a cold. you might have to go the doctor, and we both know how much that can cost.

nothing. it costs us nothing

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
speaking of games. any of you guys who haven't bought sleeping dogs yet, do it. game is soo good. also you don't need any of that DLC.

btw changed my avatar. just cuz.

effzee

I gotta say, the rap crown is still up for grabs this year in terms of mainstream albums. While I like Yeezus it's clear most rap fans didn't. Cole sold well but nobody is really calling it a great album. And Jay just dropped an album that generated a bunch of buzz but little actual substance; it'll get Grammys I'm sure but nobody cares.

Seems like this is the year Drake will drop the best "mainstream" album. It's really his to lose at this point. Big Sean doesn't have a chance, I'm going to assume Eminem's album will be weak, Ross is on the ropes after the lackluster GFID...who else is there? I'm not counting Nas btw. He'll release a dope album but it won't make any impact on the charts.

I think the bold parts contradict each other. In terms of sales it will be close between Drake and Eminem and will depend on who drops the better (more mainstream radio heavy) single. I'll give the edge to Em simply cause his popularity is still pretty high but I wouldn't be shocked if Drake gets the best #s.

Quality wise its all up in the air. Not a huge fan of Drake so can't say. Nas could drop the best out of all the main stream rappers. After disappointing albums by Kanye and Jay Z I hope all three, Drake, Em, and Nas release really good albums.

Still haven't heard Born Sinner so can't comment on that Cole.

DominoKid

Unlocking The Holy Grail: The-Dream
some insightful shit

and then there's this...

Just Blaze ‏@JustBlaze
Hey @S_C_ may as well go head and give em Song Cry 2 aka "hello young lady".

i'd love to hear all the shit Just has in the stash that will never see the light of day. shit i bet he has Living So Italian.

Esch

Banned
this bastard is just tryna hype us up. He is gonna drop the OG I Really Mean It though. Moooose should be happy

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
When people like Eminem, Nas and Jay pass away we're going to have about 12 albums worth of material from them. And they'll likely be better than the shit that was released during their waning years. This isn't Tupac leftovers that were recorded on cassettes.

Stillmatic is full of legit dope tracks. I'd agree the production feels rather dated, even on tracks I like such Got Yourself A.

Intro
Ether
Got Yourself A
You're Da Man
Rewind
One Mic
2nd Childhood
Destroy & Rebuild (one of the most smug, arrogant disses ever lmao)
The Flyest
What Goes Around

Rule isn't bad despite a rather odd interpolation.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
When people like Eminem, Nas and Jay pass away we're going to have about 12 albums worth of material from them. And they'll likely be better than the shit that was released during their waning years. This isn't Tupac leftovers that were recorded on cassettes.

i read this like 5 times and i am still
VTnlbyt.png

Esch

Banned
He's talking about unreleased material, and I bet Eminem has the most.

Idk about that, Jay's been around longer. But then again you have no idea what's lurking in the basement of Dr. Dre. When he dies and we're in our 40s-50s im gonna have like 3 months of hip hop to listen to.

Until the End of Time>most of Jay and Em's discography

^ 100% truth

He doesn't

I could've sworn I read some interview from......IDK, DJ Quik? Someone. Basically said Dre has a vault filled with a ton of unreleased stuff.

One of my acquaintances worked as an intern for one of Dre's sound engineers and said if Dre said it was trash they had to get rid of it. Maybe this was only beats that didn't have any vocals or something? I'll ask him when I see him in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom