• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdyhybrid

BUQfRGL.jpg

True modern-day lyricists.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SMH at people hating on Rap God. I hate the internet sometime.
I made sure to qualify all my statements with actual reasons why it's crap from the jump, because we all knew the inevitable "hating cause it's Em" shit would pop up. People in here gave good reasons for why someone might not like the track. Which were rebutted with "quit hating."

Dude went off in parts, but only parts. It's a bad song. I wouldn't listen to it more than once. I can't stand that type of shit without some sort of proper pacing or at the very least some lyrical consistency. Listening into the lyrics I can't tell if dude is trying to say something, or just trying to rap. He shucks and jives back and forth and it's just a mess. And none of his punchlines seem to have the impact on me at all.

I made sure to qualify all my statements with actual reasons why it's crap from the jump, because we all knew the inevitable "hating cause it's Em" shit would pop up. People in here gave good reasons for why someone might not like the track. Which were rebutted with "quit hating."

Dude went off in parts, but only parts. It's a bad song. I wouldn't listen to it more than once. I can't stand that type of shit without some sort of proper pacing or at the very least some lyrical consistency. Listening into the lyrics I can't tell if dude is trying to say something, or just trying to rap. He shucks and jives back and forth and it's just a mess. And none of his punchlines seem to have the impact on me at all.

So who do you like in the rap game then cause that song was better majority of the rap game today outside Kendrick Lamar

HiiiLife

Breh gotta chill. Some people like it, some don't. Such is music. I personally think it's the dopest thing he's done so far for this album. No need to get bent feelings over people that dislike the song. It's not a big deal homie.

The way I see it, Rap God is "Flow Switching 101" and that's all the track was ever supposed to be. You can criticize the beat, but with the whole "back to basics" thing Em's been going with on the MMLP2, this track actually sits very comfortably in that lane of "showing off skills just because." Like I said earlier, I can't hate. It's more cohesive than Berserk, and the technique on display is still pretty impressive even if people are jaded, or in that "rappity rap :yawn:" mindset.

I respect stuff like this from an artist in his position more than Jay Z kicking back with struggle bars. Not to be an Em defense force or anything because the track doesn't really have much replay value..

I oeno what side I'm on anymore.

Yall bout to get me on my Buddens name 10 hot lines in that Eminem song.
But that doesnt make Danny completely independent, as he still answers to someone. Unless Fools Gold literally does nothing for him and takes no cut. Or maybe Im just getting too focused on semantics..

yeah you are just too focused on semenatics. When people say independent they just mean they aren't signed to a major label at all.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But that doesnt make Danny completely independent, as he still answers to someone. Unless Fools Gold literally does nothing for him and takes no cut. Or maybe Im just getting too focused on semantics..

The label is independent.. That's what it is.

Kimosabae

Banned
Nah fam, you gotta keep it moving with the sound and lyrical themes for the most part. Treading water and chasing after physical rap feats you can't accomplish anymore and a sound that has already been old hat is meaningless. What's the point of doing a shittier version of something you already did great? It's better to try your hand at something new.

The Wu are a bit flabby today, yeah, but Nas has done pretty well for himself and is still a cut above Em today when it comes to songwriting, and that's still with the Salaam Remi handicap.

If rappers and fans weren't so focused on artificially tiering shit all the time, the artform would be better for it.

Blackace

The way I see it, Rap God is "Flow Switching 101" and that's all the track was ever supposed to be. You can criticize the beat, but with the whole "back to basics" thing Em's been going with on the MMLP2, this track actually sits very comfortably in that lane of "showing off skills just because." Like I said earlier, I can't hate. It's more cohesive than Berserk, and the technique on display is still pretty impressive even if people are jaded, or in that "rappity rap :yawn:" mindset.

I respect stuff like this from an artist in his position more than Jay Z kicking back with struggle bars. Not to be an Em defense force or anything because the track doesn't really have much replay value..

what? Cohesive is the last thing that Rap God is..

Mik317

At first Rap God was just meh.

Then the last few minutes happened.

Rick Flair.

Not a super great song but damn he spazzed at parts.

1/3 tho so far.

Recon

Banned
Yall bout to get me on my Buddens name 10 hot lines in that Eminem song.

yeah you are just too focused on semenatics. When people say independent they just mean they aren't signed to a major label at all.

I get that, but I guess when "COMPLETELY" independant is thrown out there, it comes across disingenuous. Like, what do you call artists who arent signed to any label, independant or major, super-independant?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So who do you like in the rap game then
Are you just talking lyrically? Pretty vague otherwise, but for the sake of comparison to Em:

Kendrick
Nas
Danny Brown
Mac Miller
Pusha T
J. Cole

Hell even Drake dropped a more well-rounded lyrical package and moreover impressive songs in their entirety this year than what we've heard from Em off of MMLP2.

The way I look at it is Em's new shit needs to do one of these or a combination thereof to be successful in my eyes:
1) Rap about what it's like to be Em in 2013. Rap about struggles, rap about something with some substance. There was a bunch of this on Recovery (Talkin To Myself I frequently name as one of my favourite modern Em songs) but the project as a whole didn't exactly age well. Reality rap.
2) If you want to take the lyrical miracle path, do so and give us an impressive package that I can bump on top of slick wordplay. I don't just want a hot flow or doubled vocals with some bullshit wordplay or dated/corny punchlines. I'll go listen to Rich Homie Quan if I want that, cause at least he has delivery too. This also means you can't skimp out on production or any other aspect of song/album-making.

Nothing thus far is doing enough of either ATM.

Blackace

I get that, but I guess when "COMPLETELY" independant is thrown out there, it comes across disingenuous. Like, what do you call artists who arent signed to any label, independant or major, super-independant?

poor..

edit: For someone like 40, he is the owner of his independent label.. but it is still an independent

Mr. West

Banned

This. The song is called Rap God. What Em is doing is rapping, and he's doing it on such a technical and aggressive level that only the "god of rap" could do. As a song, it's not musically great, but the rapping carries it. Song is fucking dope at 2:03 and 3:23. And this is coming from somebody who hated Recovery and didn't think much of anything Eminem made from 2003-2012, as well as Berzerk and Survival (so meh).

what? Cohesive is the last thing that Rap God is..

Berzerk sounds like a mess to me, from beginning to end. The first verse is filled with those old school punch ins, the 2nd one goes off the rails after the Kid Rock mention, and the third is boring. Rap God made more sense right away despite him changing his flow/delivery like 20 times.

Maybe it's just me though. I'm not into that sound on Berzerk.

Blackace

Berzerk sounds like a mess to me, from beginning to end. The first verse is filled with those old school punch ins, the 2nd one goes off the rails after the Kid Rock mention, and the third is boring. Rap God made more sense right away despite him changing his flow/delivery like 20 times.

Maybe it's just me though. I'm not into that sound on Berzerk.

Em's punchlines are all old.. He dropped a Monica reference in a new song in 2013..

Blackace

I guess when it is your own label it's different? I'm only talking about not being 100% independant. But whatever.

I guess Macklemore/40 are the bosses.

But most independent labels give their artist mad freedom to be themselves..

Blackace

To be fair, the fact that it was an old reference was the point of that line in Rap God. Unless I'm forgetting a line in Bezerk that you're referencing.

To me, Bezerk is the same.. it's a throwback song..

Rooster12

They don't have to be better, just grow and evolve as a goddamn artist instead of pandering and playing it safe to the point of stagnation and boredom.

The Wu are a bit flabby today, yeah, but Nas has done pretty well for himself and is still a cut above Em today when it comes to songwriting, and that's still with the Salaam Remi handicap.

Have you heard the music where they tried to grow? Like Bobby Digital, Digi Snacks, Ice Water, Tical 0 etc...it's just not good, and I'm not talking about some small drop-off in quality, it was like that shit just crumbled. The gap in quality was way too big to ignore.

Then when Raekwon came with OB4CL 2 and everyone loved it, they took it back to that because that's the only type of rap they know how to do. That's only type of rap they can do well and they should ride with it till they day they retire.

I'll admit Nas does well, he makes good music regardless. But if he would come out tomorrow with a It Was Written-type of album we would all appreciate it no matter what.

Start listening to more than Eminem and G Rap fam.

Then you might actually appreciate everything else that makes a song good aside from lyrical technicality, which is all Rap God has going for it. And even then he ruins it by mumbling/slurring during parts of it.

Rap God sucks, I said that a few pages ago.

That song sucks, and it has nothing to do with how "technical" it was.

I was just responding to that comment by saying that those 2 are the only guys who still does that type of lyrical rap in this day and age....which is true.

And those 2 are probably not gonna be around for much longer. One day that type of rapping is gonna disappear.

HiResDes

I don't even really hate Em, I thought Relapse had four pretty dope tracks, but that was it. I like sad Eminem more than angry Eminem.

And those 2 are probably not gonna be around for much longer. One day that type of rapping is gonna disappear.

No it won't. It may fall out of vogue for a bit but it'll come back like it always has. Maybe with a twist to it here and there, but someone will always be doing some variation of that style just like punchline stuff.

To me, Bezerk is the same.. it's a throwback song..

I mean.. I kind of agree but the old ass references in the hook don't feel like they serve the same purpose to me. That could be the intent there it just doesn't feel as blatant I guess.

Em's punchlines are all old.. He dropped a Monica reference in a new song in 2013..

Nah, not punch lines, I'm talking about the Beastie Boys style sampled punch in/ad lib thing.

Just like I did with addiction I'm bout to- KICK IT/
I'm a magician, critics I turn to- CRICKETS/
Got em still on the fence, whether to- PICK IT(PICKET)/
etc. etc.

I'm not a fan of the homage delivery. It can be done well, but Eminem just makes it grating.

So much discussion over an album that 99.9% won't make my top 10. :p

Detox

So what if all we've been hearing thus far is the Rick Rubin side of MMLP2? His side is just modern throwbacks, (Berserk is dope) rappity rap you have to be technically dope to make it etc. Then the Dre side can be depressing and dark.

Macca

So what if all we've been hearing thus far is the Rick Rubin side of MMLP2? His side is just modern throwbacks, (Berserk is dope) rappity rap you have to be technically dope to make it etc. Then the Dre side can be depressing and dark.
And then the Alex Da Kid side is all poppy and uplifting.

This. The song is called Rap God. What Em is doing is rapping, and he's doing it on such a technical and aggressive level that only the "god of rap" could do. As a song, it's not musically great, but the rapping carries it. Song is fucking dope at 2:03 and 3:23. And this is coming from somebody who hated Recovery and didn't think much of anything Eminem made from 2003-2012, as well as Berzerk and Survival (so meh).

Yeah not everyone seems to understand this though. Honestly the stuff he makes is still better than a good 80% of the garbage that's out today. I miss my 2000-2004 era of rap those were good times.

HiResDes

I kind of hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom