• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
I don't know about Lyrical Myrical tracks anymore. I feel that I've listened to enough hip hop to be over the spectacle of someone going off about nothing over a nothing beat. I need more than that, I need storytelling, production to carry it, a unique concept, melody...anything. I'd rather have funny ass punchlines over dope ass production than just pure technical rap. And if I want super technical rap, well I go back in time where it was mastered.
Yup.
Kanye knows and does this.

HiiiLife

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't know about Lyrical Myrical tracks anymore. I feel that I've listened to enough hip hop to be over the spectacle of someone going off about nothing over a nothing beat. I need more than that, I need storytelling, production to carry it, a unique concept, melody...anything. I'd rather have funny ass punchlines over dope ass production than just pure technical rap. And if I want super technical rap, well I go back in time where it was mastered.

I just don't want it from someone that has proven over and over again to be capable of it. I want to see established emcees grow up and take their music into new spaces with them - potentially opening the doors for the rest of the culture in their wake. Stop catering to fan bases so damn much.

Detox

How did Dre and Rubin let that beat slide? It doesn't even fit properly and these are two of the best when it comes to matching the beat to the vocals. I can't imagine either of them bumping their head to that beat. Go remake the beat, give the drums to Mike Will or anything to salvage the bars.

Esch

Banned
You can't really mean that.
He has a point. None of Danny's imagery or subject matter appeals to anyone but a very very small niche, whereas Macklemore is the essence of an open platform; anyone can listen to his feelgood John Lennon raps and walk away patting their back.

He has a point. None of Danny's imagery or subject matter appeals to anyone but a very very small niche, whereas Macklemore is the essence of an open platform; anyone can listen to his feelgood John Lennon raps and walk away patting their back.

Its true, but Danny Brown is more than just ratchery in the club or in the streets.

Esch

Banned
Its true, but Danny Brown is more than just ratchery in the club or in the streets.
That is to his commercial detriment, not advantage.

gaf hop idealism is so cute
Gonna get the plug.dj going tonight, no real theme, but I'm going to be playing lots of vaporwave which is rather relaxing so maybe just a loose theme of somewhat mellow music.

Oh and it's going to be a more general night so, we'll be in this room - http://www.plug.dj/music-is-fun/
join brehs

ibdN3wQdwpDRyP.gif

CRS

You can't really mean that.

Yes and no.

I don't believe that and know that Danny is more than the sex topics but no one outside his fan base knows that. Look at his persona he portrays on Kathy Griffin's show where sex was the main subject they were talking about. I bet people will look at XXX's cover and think the same thing but we all know it's, much much more than that.

Rooster12

I just don't want it from someone that has proven over and over again to be capable of it. I want to see established emcees grow up and take their music into new spaces with them - potentially opening the doors for the rest of the culture in their wake. Stop catering to fan bases so damn much.

Right because 2013 "grown and mature" Wu-Tang, Rakim, Nas >>>>> 90s "lyrical miracle" Wu-Tang, Rakim, Nas

oh wait....

Rap God does sound exactly like a Kendrick Lamar track though, just with a different voice (and a wacker chorus/beat than the shit lamar raps on these days).

I feel like people are just now shitting on it because it's eminem, and also because the beat is annoying. that works too.

HiResDes

Rap God does sound exactly like a Kendrick Lamar track though, just with a different voice (and a wacker chorus/beat than the shit lamar raps on these days).

I feel like people are just now shitting on it because it's eminem, and also because the beat is annoying. that works too.

Read my comments about the delivery...

Read my comments about the delivery...

i get what you mean about kendrick knowing when to slow it down and such. but that smurf voice he does sometimes is just as corny as eminem's screaming voice.

edit: though I am looking forward to kendrick's next project more than eminem's. but still rap god has kind of grown on me. it's not bad imo.

Don't know what people talkin about this beat goes hard. You gotta remember though Em rap beats are usually different from the norm. It's always been like this his whole career.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How did Dre and Rubin let that beat slide? It doesn't even fit properly and these are two of the best when it comes to matching the beat to the vocals. I can't imagine either of them bumping their head to that beat. Go remake the beat, give the drums to Mike Will or anything to salvage the bars.
The same reason why he let MCHG slide.

It's because he raps about worthwhile topics where everyone is treated equal and is bringing good hip-hop back unlike Danny where he talks about molly, eating ass, and getting his dick sucked.
Qualify this with his his popularized/broader image and this statement is a bit more believable, but yeah still shaky.

Right because 2013 "grown and mature" Wu-Tang, Rakim, Nas >>>>> 90s "lyrical miracle" Wu-Tang, Rakim, Nas

oh wait....
They don't have to be better, just grow and evolve as a goddamn artist instead of pandering and playing it safe to the point of stagnation and boredom.

The Wu are a bit flabby today, yeah, but Nas has done pretty well for himself and is still a cut above Em today when it comes to songwriting, and that's still with the Salaam Remi handicap.

Esch

Banned

oh wait....

Nah fam, you gotta keep it moving with the sound and lyrical themes for the most part. Treading water and chasing after physical rap feats you can't accomplish anymore and a sound that has already been old hat is meaningless. What's the point of doing a shittier version of something you already did great? It's better to try your hand at something new.

Nah, not really. Lyrically it is pretty shitty for the type of song it is. It really has almost no memorable lines for me. Flow sure that's good, but you don't ever see me giving Kendrick props just for flow.

overcast

Yeah, definitely. Danny has a lot to say and he delivers it in much more interesting ways than most rappers.

Why shouldn't be getting hated on? His last album was recovery, and the 2 songs before this were shit. I haven't listened to the new track, but he hasn't dropped a good album in years.

Rooster12

Well 98% of rappers these days don't even rap like that anymore so what are you complaining about.

Eminem, Kool G. Rap are like the remaining few who still does it.

In the future one day rap lyrics are gonna be even more dumbed down that you wish that someone would still remember how to rhyme their words.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Don't know what people talkin about this beat goes hard. You gotta remember though Em rap beats are usually different from the norm. It's always been like this his whole career.

That's the point.. the beat sounds nothing an Em beat. Sounds like a basic trap beat..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Well 98% of rappers these days don't even rap like that anymore so what are you complaining about.

In the future one day rap lyrics are gonna be even more dumbed down that you wish that someone would still remember how to rhyme their words.
Start listening to more than Eminem and G Rap fam.

Then you might actually appreciate everything else that makes a song good aside from lyrical technicality, which is all Rap God has going for it. And even then he ruins it by mumbling/slurring during parts of it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

yeah.. rofl..

Start listening to more than Eminem and G Rap fam.

Then you might actually appreciate everything else that makes a song good aside from lyrical technicality, which is all Rap God has going for it. And even then he ruins it by mumbling/slurring during parts of it.

So who do you like then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom