• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macca

Predictions for OLD:

Overcast - 35k+
Macca - 24k
Enzo - 40k
Cudder - 25k

MOOSEY F BABY AKA MOOSEY SANTANA AKA MOOSEBOY Q AKA ASAP MOOSEY - UNDER 4K

DOMINO LAUGHING AT THE GOD
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80068285&postcount=16553

U DOUBT U DIE

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Damn son, that's some good predictin. I can't even make fun of Enzo's 40k because I said 24 :(. We'll see what the final numbers look like, but yea, doesn't look like he's breaking 10k

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everyone clowned my 40k back then, I tried to give him the benefit of the doubt like I give every artist. I thought that was a maximum anyways.

Even if you look at the hype here, everyone was going "oh shit Old has to be good because XXX was good!" Nothing really pertaining to the project at hand either. GG to Danny dropping all the videos/singles for his album in the last month/upon release too. He was set up not to do anything astronomical.

Esch

Banned
Fools Gold did fucc up the shipping on Amazon somehow though. Most people had estimated delivery by October 8th or some shit. No idea how that plays into the numbers of it all tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Let's be real, if you stumbled across Danny Brown in the past month and saw his Dip video, you're going to think this was some one dimensional hipster ish regardless.

Consumable party song talking about molly with a fruity beat and a toothless clown shaking his hair everywhere isn't exactly the way to solidify a fanbase. It might get him shows though, and that's what matters for an independent artist especially. Same reason why he debuted all these songs at shows and never put them out on the internet beforehand.

Fools Gold did fucc up the shipping on Amazon somehow though. Most people had estimated delivery by October 8th or some shit. No idea how that plays into the numbers of it all tho
My guess is sales are probably counted before something is shipped and whatever payment method is charged.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Old will do 17.5k.

And it will be a huge L still.
Echoing overcast (I think) from the previous page here, what IS successful as an (basically) independent artist? More than before, right? So what did XXX do?

I thought people always argued about album sales so they could gauge whether the person would still be signed at the end of the day and clown them. Danny's got a ton more security in that regard than say, Pusha, and things are a bit different nowadays.

CRS

Like i said, /mu/ basically. needledropcore. Its funny that the true music nerds are the ones who rarely buy.

Put out a LIMITED EDITION WITH SOME BRIGHT FUCKING COLOR THAT'S ALSO TRANSPARENT LP and he could get another 1000 sales or however many copies the edition is.

Echoing overcast (I think) from the previous page here, what IS successful as an (basically) independent artist?

Here are first week from artist that are independent this year

Krizz Kaliko - Son of Sam - 8,000
Stevie Stone - 2 Birds, 1 Stone - 4,700
¡Mayday! - Believers - 5,000
Deltron 3030 - Event 2 - 8,000
Madchild - Lawn Mower Man - 2,600
Tony Touch - The Piece Maker 3 (Return Of The 50 MC's) - 2,400
Dessa - Parts Of Speech - 5,800
Tech N9ne - Something Else - 58,000
Statik Selektah - Extended Play - 3,500
Prodigy & Alchemist - Albert Einstein - 3,000
Action Bronson & Harry Fraud - Saab Stories - 7,600
Starlito - Cold Turkey - 3,800
Gucci Mane - Trap House III - 2,500
Eve - Lip Lock - 8,500
Talib Kweli - Prisoner Of Conscious - 9,900
N.O.R.E. (a/k/a P.A.P.I.) - Student Of The Game - 4,000
Styles P & Scram Jones - Float - 3,800

Got tired of searching but yeah this is mostly from June and up releases.

Macca

Like i said, /mu/ basically. needledropcore. Its funny that the true music nerds are the ones who rarely buy.
Makes some amount of sense though. I mean, these people listen to a shit load of music, can't expect them to buy everything, or even much. They'll just move on to the next thing.

Makes some amount of sense though. I mean, these people listen to a shit load of music, can't expect them to buy everything, or even much. They'll just move on to the next thing.

Ah nah, no one is blaming them. Its really the reality of the industry nowadays. Only white girls buy albums. Hence Miley being #1 on the charts.

PBY

Banned

Tech N9ne - Something Else - 7,000
Eve - Lip Lock - 8,500

I'd argue that DB is a tier above these dudes. Somewhere bw them and Mac miller

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Tech N9ne - Something Else - 7,000
Eve - Lip Lock - 8,500

6k sounds pretty good for Danny then, considering everyone over that is pretty established or has a broader appeal.

Krizz Kaliko doing more than his boy Tech N9ne tho, dafuq. Must be mixtapes but still, damn, those guys are really caking.

CRS

I don't want someone rapping extremely well, I want an extremely well made rap album.

The latter ain't happening for Eminem.

I would. Lmao.

Isn't Kendrick's cypher airing tomorrow? InB4Hypebeasts.
Still hyped for it doe.

I would say he snapped or some shit, say the beat sucks never listen to it again and call it a day. Don't go back to Control either, unless I want that #rare J Electronica verse.

Macca

6k sounds pretty good for Danny then, considering everyone over that is pretty established or has a broader appeal.

Krizz Kaliko doing more than his boy Tech N9ne tho, dafuq. Must be mixtapes but still, damn, those guys are really caking.
Rittz did more than both of them.

Nah, I screwed up with tech 9. That one sold 50k first week. meant to fix that

CRS

Well the 3K number was at about 50%, right? He'll probably reach about 7K in that case, not counting digital?

Like I learned earlier this month, the percentage of sales reported and the amount sold aren't directly proportional. It could be 10,000 by tomorrow.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I doubt first week sales mean shit to an indie at Danny's level.

What's the last Fools Gold record to really push the charts?

Tech N9ne - Something Else - 58,000
Eve - Lip Lock - 8,500

Surprised Talib did so well.

I don't know about Lyrical Myrical tracks anymore. I feel that I've listened to enough hip hop to be over the spectacle of someone going off about nothing over a nothing beat. I need more than that, I need storytelling, production to carry it, a unique concept, melody...anything. I'd rather have funny ass punchlines over dope ass production than just pure technical rap. And if I want super technical rap, well I go back in time where it was mastered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom