• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not saying it will be artistically bankrupt, but if we're gonna start rolling back the use of the word fag we have shit that is just as appalling in rap music to address; like the treatment of women, glorification of murder/larceny/breaking and entering, drug use etc etc.

If we wanna clean it up.... Gotta clean up all of it.

I don't think you can equate all of that with slurs except for how women are talked about in a lot of rap music.

With rap there is often a story telling element (I felt stupid as hell typing that here, but w/e), so I don't even think 'fag' should be outright dropped. But for some reason not using slurs makes some people think we're gonna go all out and make everything a disney soundtrack.

In Rap God for instance " You fags think it's a game" is pretty different than "Fabolous made Ray J mad Cause Fab said he looked like a fag at Mayweather’s pad"

It's a complicated issue, I'm not say it's not.

I know it's not healed yet, but maybe we need to blend the lines more. No word should be restricted to a race. We are all people. No one should be allowed, or not allowed anything based on race. The actions of ancestors will eventually be just in the past. We need to get it there.

I don't think about you

Mr. Swag is really Kreayshawn?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
The real issue is pc dudes unable to understand that some people just prefer the ease of use consoles bring.

Pc games may be much easier to use thane in years before, but if you really can't recognise or even admit that consoles are much simpler to use then there's no point in even discussing it.

Consoles are simpler, it's really that basic.

I got a brand new laptop 2 years ago that can barely run any games today. It still works perfectly as a laptop now so Im not about to buy another new one.

My 360 I bought 7 years ago still plays the latest games just fine.

People prefer having the best graphics and all the customisation options pc gives and thats fine, but there's clearly people who don't care about that so consoles are fine.

Doesn't mean one is necessarily better than the other
What GPU came in this laptop? I'm curious. The way you said this, you bought it to play games.

Esch

Banned
I don't think you can equate all of that with slurs except for how women are talked about in a lot of rap music.

With rap there is often a story telling element (I felt stupid as hell typing that here, but w/e), so I don't even think 'fag' should be outright dropped. But for some reason not using slurs makes some people think we're gonna go all out and make everything a disney soundtrack.

In Rap God for instance " You fags think it's a game" is pretty different than "Fabolous made Ray J mad Cause Fab said he looked like a fag at Mayweather’s pad"

It's a complicated issue, I'm not say it's not.

No question, there is always the stance that you can say its all from a storytelling perspective, but most of it is straight glorification. Occasionally there will be the early Biggie or Mobb Deep, or the guys making money off violence like Jay will write a "D'Evils", but at the end of the day the vast, vast vast majority of it is reveling in violent illegal fuckery of all sorts which to me is way way worse than some dude using the word 'fag' in a shit talking sense (if only because that's directly promoting crime) but both are not kosher or should be encouraged. Just saying if we're gonna clear up rap, bad language is like last in line IMO.

Esch

Banned
I am sure there is a racial epitaph for your said group... use that. lol

You guys have all the good ones, racist dudes just put more time and effort into slurs for black people, hahaha. That's probably why calling me a sand ****** was the go to, or confusing me with an arab in some way.

Recon

Banned
You guys have all the good ones, racist dudes just put more time and effort into slurs for black people, hahaha. That's probably why calling me a sand ****** was the go to, or confusing me with an arab in some way.

Sand n***er always felt like the laziest of slurs to me. If you are going to be a racist asshole, at least be an original racist asshole.

No question, there is always the stance that you can say its all from a storytelling perspective, but most of it is straight glorification. Occasionally there will be the early Biggie or Mobb Deep, or the guys making money off violence like Jay will write a "D'Evils", but at the end of the day the vast, vast vast majority of it is reveling in violent illegal fuckery of all sorts which to me is way way worse than some dude using the word 'fag' in a shit talking sense (if only because that's directly promoting crime) but both are not kosher or should be encouraged. Just saying if we're gonna clear up rap, bad language is like last in line IMO.

The difference being what rappers say is usually reflective of their beliefs instead of what a character believes, like in movies. So someone saying they'll bound and torture someone isn't really harmful in the sense that saying that doesn't do a whole lot, whereas shooting slurs out is itself the problem.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Man fuck race.

I have a dream that one day we will all just be one big mixed pot of race, with everyone having a percentage of everything.

Judging someone on their appearance is literally the stupidest shit in the world.
You're judging someone on the ONE thing in their life they did not pick.

If you are gonna judge me on my cloth, go ahead. I picked it out this morning.

If you're gonna judge me on the music I listen to, go ahead. I choose to listen to it.

Bit if you're gonna judge me on my color?
You are a fucking idiot. I grew up like this. And so did you.

Fuck racism.
The quicker we are all just one, the better.

Recon

Banned
Man fuck race.

I have a dream that one day we will all just be one big mixed pot of race, with everyone having a percentage of everything.

I am trying to get us there. I have not ever dated a white girl, so one day I will probably impregnate a non-white girl, and contribute to the betterment of society.

Esch

Banned
On that, it's the same to me as a movie like Rambo.

The difference being what rappers say is usually reflective of their beliefs instead of what a character believes. So someone saying they'll bound and torture someone isn't really harmful in the sense that saying that doesn't do a whole lot, whereas shooting slurs out is itself the problem.
Fair enough, but I also believe movies like rambo and yes, video games have an effect on children and even adults when it comes to violence. Research aside, all you gotta do is look out at the ot to see some dudes that might be down for some demonic shit
jqZ0l4i0nlO13.png

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

they often add n****r to the end of things..

There are some pretty bad ones out there for y'all too..

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
ya'll already lost the moment the girl you like is pregnant..... regardless of your or her race..... or if its even your child.... just ask Timbo

The difference being what rappers say is usually reflective of their beliefs instead of what a character believes, like in movies. So someone saying they'll bound and torture someone isn't really harmful in the sense that saying that doesn't do a whole lot, whereas shooting slurs out is itself the problem.

How is Slim Shady not a character?

Esch

Banned
Sand n***er always felt like the laziest of slurs to me. If you are going to be a racist asshole, at least be an original racist asshole.

Camel Jockey, apu, hadji, paki, cowfucker, etc etc. None of it is good. I need white people to go back to the drawing board with brown people and hit us with something that has impact. I need the Don Draper of racists to come up with something good.

Recon

Banned
Camel Jockey, apu, hadji, paki, cowfucker, etc etc. None of it is good. I need white people to go back to the drawing board with brown people and hit us with something that has impact. I need the Don Draper of racists to come up with something good.

This sounds like a really good chapelle show skit.....

I miss dave.

Mr.Swag

Banned
I'm Hispanic, "wetback"is probably the best attempt the man has tried

It doesn't work tho. Neither does "spic".
The fuck does that one even mean?

illadelph

i heard gringo comes from border control dudes who wore green

so Mexicans see them dudes and are like, "Green, go!"

not sure if true

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's true, there is no real hard hitting brown person word. Everything falls flat or we've already co-opted the word and destroyed a lot of its original meaning.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
i heard gringo comes from border control dudes who wore green

so Mexicans see them dudes and are like, "Green, go!"

not sure if true

lol same as gaijin means in Japanese... outsider or foreigner

Not many words can even dream of going toe to toe with the n-word's history. There's reason others don't hit as hard.

But to those saying slurs for their racial background don't do much to them, it just takes the 'right' person to say it in the 'right' way or 'right' situation.

Esch

Banned
Thats not fair!!!

hahaha not my secret to tell.... i been seeing it around NeoGAF here and there recently. You'll find out about it like 3 years later, like when white people found out what skeet meant when Get Low dropped.
Not many words can even dream of going toe to toe with the n-word's history. There's reason others don't hit as hard.

But to those saying slurs for their racial background don't do much to them, it just takes the 'right' person to say it in the 'right' way or 'right' situation.

I mean, it's pissed me off. my sophomore year in football this dude called me a camel jockey and i headbutted him so hard he got a concussion. But looking back on it, Camel jockey? What does that even mean, you ride camels? Thats a skill, not an insult.

HiiiLife

It's true!!!!

Lol. I'd honestly change my avatar but people already know this one so fuck it. I'ma just ride with it.

And brehs, I think I finally came around to Below the Heavens. I tried listening to this last year and it didn't click with me. Gave it a spin a week ago and this shit is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom