• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cudder

he didn't sell 350...more like 225..

Drake will go plat..

Drake did 630 with Take Care and 450 with Thank me later

if he does 350 to 400 I don't understand how it is more of a victory.. lol
I'm just saying, Drake can go platinum much easier than Kendrick. Drakes been in the public eye much longer and also has a wider mainstream appeal, so the fact that Kendrick can say "I went platinum too" is much more of a win than Drake saying it. Its a given that Drake would go platinum, Kendrick had to beat his fair share of odds to reach that.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I'm just saying, Drake can go platinum much easier than Kendrick. Drakes been in the public eye much longer and also has a wider mainstream appeal, so the fact that Kendrick can say "I went platinum too" is much more of a win than Drake saying it. Its a given that Drake would go platinum, Kendrick had to beat his fair share of odds to reach that.

Getting co-signed by the greatest legend in Cali pretty much all but promised Kendrick platinum status....

mooooose

Doesn't sound that bad. She say anything?

nah but our texting sesh abruptly ended and so things were already not looking good its whatever it was long and she told me a lot of shit but i dont think itll go anywhere especially not now

JohnDoe

Banned
My Ye stanning is in full effect. Going ham on friends who are trying to tell me Jay had more of an impact on the industry than Kanye.

Also, who do we credit for the trend of pitched down vocals on tracks? A$AP Rocky or Tyler, the Creator?

I've seen people try to take credit for that (Vampire Weekend, lmao) but these fools gotta realize that Prince invented the idea of pitching your vocals to take on an alter ego way back in the 80s.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
nah but our texting sesh abruptly ended and so things were already not looking good its whatever it was long and she told me a lot of shit but i dont think itll go anywhere especially not now
Yea. Just on to the next prey....

I mean potential date.

Yeezus is still Dead Prez-level wackness, Ye stans gon stan, and the world kept spinning

I forgot pre-tux Janelle Monae was all over this '06 Outkast video

Also, Idlewild? Remember that thing?

/rambling

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Getting co-signed by the greatest legend in Cali pretty much all but promised Kendrick platinum status....

eh I mean, it didn't do much for some of Dre's other pet projects like Knoc'turnal or Slim the mobster.
Considering GKMC had no pop hits on it, nothing tailor made to be radio friendly, and came out of a coast that sadly has been consider dead for years, Kendrick going platinum is impressive as hell to me.

Cudder

I wouldn't take it that far imo. Dre has been pretty much irrelevant on today's music scene outside of Beats. Kendrick went platinum because of the Kendrick/TDE hype that was exploding at the time. The Dre co sign obviously didn't hurt, but I don't think it "guaranteed" him a platinum album.

Blackace

eh I mean, it didn't do much for some of Dre's other pet projects like Knoc'turnal or Slim the mobster.
Considering GKMC had no pop hits on it, nothing tailor made to be radio friendly, and came out of a coast that sadly has been consider dead for years, Kendrick going platinum is impressive as hell to me.

Swimming Pools is super radio friendly

And the co-signing did wonders for Game...

Blackace

I wouldn't take it that far imo. Dre has been pretty much irrelevant on today's music scene outside of Beats. Kendrick went platinum because of the Kendrick/TDE hype that was exploding at the time. The Dre co sign obviously didn't hurt, but I don't think it "guaranteed" him a platinum album.

You can pretty much go platinum in Cali alone and Dre saying you are the future really means alot...

i met a girl on okcupid, texted her for awhile, estalked her and found her twitter at 2am, and accidentally favorited a six month old tweet

i have taken the biggest L

08515847a454470c492def31c7ad34c9e08a776.gif

Did Take Care and Thank Me Later go platinum?

I would think Drake's numbers would rise since he's only really gotten more popular since Take Care.

overcast

The Dre co-sign helped for sure, as did the west coast, but there is definitely a ton of hype everywhere you look for Kendrick. He has a lot of respect from a lot of different demographics. Swimming pools helped tremendously too.

Don't think he'll ever hit Drake level, but that's because Drake can get tons of pop love. Every person in every group I have hung out with I'm the past year has loved Kendrick pretty much. Course I am on the west coast as I said above. Just impressive.

overcast

i met a girl on okcupid, texted her for awhile, estalked her and found her twitter at 2am, and accidentally favorited a six month old tweet

i have taken the biggest L
It's cool Moose. I gave a girl at Starbucks my number last Thursday. She never texted. I'll hold that L with you my dude.

Lots of people get Dre cosigns and never sell anything; or they end up like Game just getting more unpopular due to the music getting worse. Kendrick built his fanbase, then got a major label to broadcast it even further. That plus a slowburning yet effective single and universal acclaim paved the way.

I wouldn't be surprised if his next album does 500-600k at best. I'm not sold on "Kendrick the superstar" yet. Yea he is dominating right now but that shit is fleeting. Moreover he hasn't demonstrated that any song he throws out will become a hit or chart, ie Drake. I thought Headlines was a shitty song as did others, but it shot up the charts immediately. Kendrick got a perfect record in Swimming Pools, but can he make an actual party track, or a ladies track (without Drake) that charts? I need to see it.

Another thing: his next album will probably be worse than GKMC by default, given how good that album was. Following up an album like that is hard, and there will be people waiting on the very day it leaks to listen to three tracks and declare it "not as good." And given his theme focus, I wonder if he'll do something played out like a "portrait of the conflicted superstar" album, ie Cole/Drake/etc. Some type of "oh man I'm so popular, everything changes friends no longer call to hang out everyone wants my money" shit.

I believe in Kendrick, he is my king afterall. But I have doubts :(

overcast

Get numbers instead. Don't give out
Yeah. That's what I took from this. I'm really amateur at this whole thing. Decent first step though. I'm forcing myself into this shit in the best way possible. Going to concerts alone, talking to random people. Can't waste my time on doing nothing. Thirst is real though.

I agree PP. I'm not sure Kendrick is going to be a full blown superstar on that level. He's going to remain relevant for a good amount of time though. I'm pretty sure he won't fall off though. I think he knows to avoid that "suffering from success" trope that a lot of rappers corner themselves with.

I am sorry you took that self inflicted L mooooose.

That estalking shit is creepy as fuck though. I didn't know how bad it was until about a year or two ago. My friend was posting pictures up on instagram and it would give away her location without her knowing. So there was this one dude who commented on every single picture she posted. One day she posted a picture while at home and then she left to go take care of some errands, then when she came back home that same guy was on her front porch chilling with a backpack full of clothes like he expected her to let him stay for the night

That estalking shit is creepy as fuck though. I didn't know how bad it was until about a year or two ago. My friend was posting pictures up on instagram and it would give away her location without her knowing. So there was this one dude who commented on every single picture she posted. One day she posted a picture while at home and then she left to go take care of some errands, then when she came back home that same guy was on her front porch chilling with a backpack full of clothes like he expected her to let him stay for the night

haha wtf, that shit sounds dangerous as fuck. I'm assuming she told him to step off.

she fine tho?

I remember Just Blaze interviewing in August about needing to get some beats to Drake for NWTS. I see he missed the album.

Put down the deception models and get on your grind, Just.

mooooose

I figured you got girls number off their Facebook without asking
LMFAO

that is probably weirder than what i did, i just wanted to make sure she wasnt a man and see if she was cool and my thumb slipped

DominoKid

loooooooooooool that's scary as hell.

Squalor

Drake won tho
If he "won," he shouldn't be so butt-hurt about the whole thing. He sounds so scorned and betrayed.

I couldn't care less who "won." I don't think either "won" or "lost." It was just a milquetoast challenge in a verse.

I'll go on enjoying both of their music, and that's that.

shit, forgot about the new thread

-fuck yeah, new cunninlynguists
-street fighter soundtrack is surprisingly stacked
-guess I'll check out this new Drake
-Hold On We're Coming Home video = Young Neil ready for war, lol
-dunno if Doom really sounds right over a CC beat...
-I'm working from home this week, shit is kinda great
-new soul creator album this year, hype hype

Drake sounds like a valley girl crying about the new cool girl at school. This is the dude you guys are running with?

I hope to god Kendrick responds on some passive aggressive "you know, I was disappointed by Drake's comments. He didn't seem to get the song, and I feel like I gotta dumb my lyrics down some more. It's all good between us though, he's my homie."

boom

Squalor

Drake sounds like a valley girl crying about the new cool girl at school. This is the dude you guys are running with?

I hope to god Kendrick responds on some passive aggressive "you know, I was disappointed by Drake's comments. He didn't seem to get the song, and I feel like I gotta dumb my lyrics down some more. It's all good between us though, he's my homie."

boom
Kendrick's lead single for his next LP: "Drake Let Me Down."

overcast

Fuckkk. Chance sold out in LA already? Thought the poster showed an SD date.

Edit: Guess he doesn't have venues for his SD date or his other LA date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom