• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Responsibilities usually get in the way or they use it as a crutch and it becomes more of a hindrance than an enjoyable activity.

Esch

Banned
why do people stop

i ask this as a 21 year old with few responsibilities atm other than school and feeding myself
Gets boring, feels like a waste of time and money, dulls your mental faculties even when you're not smoking, is illegal and therefore a source of stress. Just not worth it anymore

Thats just me though

T Dollarz

Yeah I haven't found a good enough reason to stop yet. The only hindrance on my life I can tell would be financially since right now I tend to pick up an eighth a week, but it's a worthwhile investment for me. Everything I already loved to do is greatly enhanced after I smoke. Movies/TV, gaming, listening to music, etc.

Toke it bruhs.

coldvein

Banned
why do people stop

i ask this as a 21 year old with few responsibilities atm other than school and feeding myself

me personally, a couple reasons. the immediate one that really made me quit was that within a span of say .. a month, it went from me getting high and feeling great to me getting high and feeling anxious and shitty. strange story i know, but more common than you think.

two, it just kinda had me in a rut anyway. i was a lazy stoner fuck. just get high all day and play halo/look at the internet. not about that life.

HiResDes

The Sony's...But they don't isolate the best. That's their biggest weakness.

Next up would be the M80s, which are fantastic, but feature an on-ear design rather than an over-ear design, which is a weakness for some.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pusha T album slowly rising through my Top 10. Pretty confident now it's better than Old. Cohesion off the charts, and Pusha definitely brings the S-tier lyricism and delivery.

Don't get the hate for Sweet Serenade, it's grown on me heavy but I never disliked it really. Chris Brown isn't his typical self on it either.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm keeping it 4hunna, the only song I'm still listening to off of Old still is Dope Song. Maybe Torture.

Pusha T just getting more rotation ATM. A lot of the songs that I never cared much for when Push was struggling to put the project out over the past few years grew on me a ton. I even like Numbers on the Boards when I was shitting on the beat long ago. Dude just has probably the best delivery in the game, every line cuts deep. 20+ years of selling Johnson & Johnson.

HiResDes

My Name Is wishes it had half the ambition and insight that Old has, and Old's a little more than half of what it could have been...Pusha ain't touching Danny. And XXX is better than any single Clipse album. I'm just keeping it 3HUNNA like the Romans.

Esch

Banned
I'm keeping it 4hunna

keeping-it-real.jpg

I listened through that pusha album once and then had zero desire to go back to it. And yet it was still better than malice's musical abortion. Although to be fair I've never liked malice, I think his style and flow is horrendous.

As much as I can't stand big Sean or nicki minaaj, that MILF track is hilarious. Only song from the album I still listen to.

Oh and this is the most famous rapper in Vietnam, name is Suboi...I really want to see her live, I don't care if her music is any good, she is so fucking hot.

File:Suboi_performing_in_Ho_Chi_Minh_City_in_December_2013.jpg

Edit : shit I'm on my phone and can't link worth shit. Oh well.

She looks like any cute Vietnamese chick.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
My Name Is wishes it had half the ambition and insight that Old has, and Old's a little more than half of what it could have been...Pusha and touching Danny. And XXX is better than single Clipse album. I'm just keeping it 3HUNNA like the Romans.
Pusha's album doesn't have ambition yet Old does, which rehashes pretty much the same concepts from it's predecessor with less cohesion in production? Yeah, right. The soundscapes covered in Pusha's album that still have unity throughout > Old throwing shit (Handstand, Kush Coma) at the wall with the B side looking like a compilation. Not tryna hear any selectively reductionist comments about content either, like Danny has much more variety in his raps, especially on Old.

There are 3 tracks on OLD's Side B I could do without, but the rest is good to great, especially Side A. MNIMN can't stack up, and with Bronson and Roc dropping projects in the next few weeks, I don't even think it has a shot at top 10.

mooooose

really digging acid rap

really big on saab stories

tentative favorite albums of the year

run the jewels
old
nothing was the same
saab stories
trap lord

----------- tier change

acid rap
bastards of the party
z unit
the patriarch II
vices

i guess thats how i feel

what should i listen to that i missed

HiResDes

Yeah definitely not on the same tier as XXX, though the album has flashes.

really digging acid rap

really big on saab stories

tentative favorite albums of the year

run the jewels
old
nothing was the same
saab stories
trap lord

----------- tier change

acid rap
bastards of the party
z unit
the patriarch II
vices

i guess thats how i feel

what should i listen to that i missed

I'd just kinda skim through the rapups, speaking of which can I get a Q3 link in the OP?

mooooose

xxx and old are really different they only appear similar because in subject matter they tackle similar issues but they are completely different

xxx was better

old still fire

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Old has a lot of funky tracks I like, and I thought were dope while listening through it, but I won't listen to again. Which is most of the B side. Like, I like Dip and all, but I'm skipping straight to Smokin and Drinkin'. That's part of what makes Old so good, it has a lot of great songs AND standouts, but I'm just getting less burn from it. I don't want to say lack of variety, because there is definitely variety even within the two sides, but yeah I could listen to X but I'll just listen to Y and repeat. And then side B is littered with legitimately bad songs like the aforementioned 2 plus the Ab-Soul song, don't really care for Dubstep after Dope Song, etc. That point matters less because it is such a big album with a lot of dope songs, but it does bring the album down when it's so explicitly partitioned and then one partition ends up being particularly weak, that sort of fails to culminate into anything once you get to Float On because of the tracks preceding.

It's still (around) Top 5 for me. Nobody is saying the album is bad, but if you're arguing ambition and how well something is put together, yeah Danny isn't touching Pusha. If your just arguing the raw number of dope songs on each album, yeah Old would outpace MNIMN just based off of the size of the album. Then again, that and the Esch scale are pretty shortsighted IMO.

overcast

Yeah, I know Danny is talking about similar topics, but he tackles them in a much different way. I think he's gotten better lyrically and Old has terrific production. Honestly, sonically the two albums sound very different.

Rooster12

MNIMN has that Kelly Rowland track which is just terrible to me, there is hardly any "dark" production on there aside from a couple of songs. Not a fan of Suicide either, those type of beats just drive me crazy.

And Numbers on the Boards is one of the most annoying beats ever made.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MNIMN has that Kelly Rowland track which is just terrible to me, there is hardly any "dark" production on there aside from a couple of songs. Not a fan of Suicide either, those type of beats just drive me crazy.
The 2Chainz/Big Sean song is the biggest offender.

Don't mind the Rowland track, but it's just ehh. Never listened to it after my full album playthroughs.

The Sony's...But they don't isolate the best. That's their biggest weakness.

Next up would be the M80s, which are fantastic, but feature an on-ear design rather than an over-ear design, which is a weakness for some.
I need that over-ear design.

Gonna go to best buy and see what they have around.

MNIMN has a top 10 of 2013 track #Nosetalgia. That's about it. Pusha shoulda listened to Ye when he wanted to cut the fat/filler off the album.

The 2Chainz/Big Sean song is the biggest offender.

Don't mind the Rowland track, but it's just ehh. Never listened to it after my full album playthroughs.

Coulda been something special if it was Push and Kanye originally. They dropped some WACK ASS VERSES luckily Nosetaglia Pain and SNITCH help the album recover from that shit.

HiResDes

Okay, I'm not a super stubborn guy, and I'm totally cool with admitting I was wrong when I think I'm wrong...However, after listening to My Name Is My Name for a third time I will not be doing much rescinding. The album has some bangers for sure, but overall it just sounds a bit bland. Lyrically Pusha T is on his A-Game, but the guy just doesn't have any charisma whatsoever. The opening track of course is superb, as are the tail end tracks for the most part. There are about 4 tracks I just don't like much, Numbers on the Board (boring), Hold On (kitsch), 40 Acres (Pusha T's existence on the track), No Regrets (kitsch). Musically it's a bit more cohesive than Old, but not in terms of concept. It just so happens that Pusha is so one-note that all of his songs flow well together. You could cut and paste his verses from various songs and mash them together and they would still work, with the exception of a few choice cuts including the Mase impression.

Grado Labs got the best bang for your buck, my favorite phones.

Not really. They aren't very comfortable. And pretty much are only best for rock. The bass is lacking. The soundstage is non-existent.

jordisok

That rozay feature is just as bad an offender as the big sean & 2 chainz, 40 acres is a jam. Still rate the album as a whole though.

HiResDes

I need that over-ear design.

Gonna go to best buy and see what they have around.

MNIMN has a top 10 of 2013 track #Nosetalgia. That's about it. Pusha shoulda listened to Ye when he wanted to cut the fat/filler off the album.

They have both the Pioneer and Sony's...If the Pioneers are still $140 definitely cop them.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yoooooooo dudes. Got a new job with amazing pay so I've been too busy to keep up with music. What notable musics have I missed since NWTS release.

Rooster12

It's the hype that went into it. From all the million creative album cover designs, to the guests, to the Joakim Pheonix produced song, people really wanted to like that album. To me it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but nothing really is these days.

And as far as Danny Brown's OLD goes, Side B was done on purpose, yeah you can say it sucked or whatever but at least it was planned.

Whereas on MNIMN, some tracks were just disappointing period. And those guests spot like Big Sean and Kanye just weren't needed.

overcast

Yoooooooo dudes. Got a new job with amazing pay so I've been too busy to keep up with music. What notable musics have I missed since NWTS release.
Old and My Name Is My Name have been talked about quite a bit. Check those out.

Congrats on the job!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Wait, people didn't like Ross on hold on? That may be the best Ross feature in years, and I mean that without hyperbole. Pusha got Ross sounding like his old self, that's the most refreshing thing about Ross since Trilla.

It's the hype that went into it. From all the million creative album cover designs, to the guests, to the Joakim Pheonix produced song, people really wanted to like that album. To me it wasn't as good as I wanted it to be but nothing really is these days.

And as far as Danny Brown's OLD goes, Side B was done on purpose, yeah you can say it sucked or whatever but at least it was planned.

Whereas on MNIMN, some tracks were just disappointing period. And those guests spot like Big Sean and Kanye just weren't needed.
What? Joaquim Phoenix didn't even produce the song and the album came out with like no hype, it was delayed so long nobody even reacted to it when it came out here. I'm not even sure why that would make someone hype? Also Kanye doesn't have a guest spot on MNIMN.

But yeah I don't know even know what to say to this post if something gets a pass for being shitty because it was on purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom