• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eminem never was the extended metaphor/double entendre kinda guy, but he was a very good song writer. All I'm hearing is incoherent technical babble. Are the songs on this album going over my head or is it really just incoherent babble?

Eminem never was the extended metaphor/double entendre kinda guy, but he was a very good song writer. All I'm hearing is incoherent technical babble. Are the songs on this album going over my head or is it really just incoherent babble?

He's trying too hard with the technical part of it now. Every other line is some attempt to flip a cliche rap line or general saying into something new (that's ultimate corny as hell), or splitting words in half to the point that his flow has become choppy, or using corny similes that used to sound way better, etc. etc. It's not natural anymore. It feels like someone obsessing over the words at the expense of everything else.

The perfection of something like...

I'm so bananas I'm showin up to your open casket/
To fill it full of explosive gasses and close it back/
With a lit match in it while I sit back and just hope it catches/
Blow you to fragments, laugh, roll you and smoke the ashes/

...would never happen today. He'd ruin it with double time, wild voice tone changes, and trying to over-complicate the bars.

cdyhybrid

He's trying too hard with the technical part of it now. Every other line is some attempt to flip a cliche rap line or general saying into something new (that's ultimate corny as hell), or splitting words in half to the point that his flow has become choppy, or using corny similes that used to sound way better, etc. etc. It's not natural anymore. It feels like someone obsessing over the words at the expense of everything else.

The perfection of something like...

I'm so bananas I'm showin up to your open casket/
To fill it full of explosive gasses and close it back/
With a lit match in it while I sit back and just hope it catches/
Blow you to fragments, laugh, roll you and smoke the ashes/

...would never happen today. He'd ruin it with double time, wild voice tone changes, and trying to over-complicate the bars.

I gotta go listen to this again now.

DominoKid

7485188e419811e3a63622000a9e28ec_8.jpg

dropping at 4:20 to cleanse us of MMLP2.

whoa Terio leveled up.

Dereck

BLACKFALL beings..12:01 AM

Definitely. If you're just getting int Aes Rock those are the two places to start from. Never listen to Bazooka Tooth though, it's garbage.
Labor Days is super, super good. Float is also super good but is a tad more elaborate.

Labor Days has a few tracks that are a lot easier to understand like 9-5's anthem, Daylight, Shovel or No Regrets.

Dude loved to rap over the most dope, and (depressing) rap beats.

Easy, Limelighters, 11:35, Mars Attacks, We're Famous, Babies with Guns, The Greatest Pac Man Victory in History...

Bazooka Tooth is not garbage.

Dereck

Easy, Limelighters, 11:35, Mars Attacks, We're Famous, Babies with Guns, The Greatest Pac Man Victory in History...

Bazooka Tooth is not garbage.
Bazooka Tooth is a stupid album with random spots of dopeness in it. The album is not to be taken seriously and that's cool. That first part of Mars Attacks doooeeee.

Will say maybe listen to Labor Day first. I think you'll have a better time getting into the production/soundscape. Float is a bit more...obtuse.

EDIT: haha beaten

Ok I'll try that first. However, one of my favorite albums ever is By the Throat by Eyedea and the production is far from the traditional Hip Hop sound so I may not mind the beats on Float.

Listening to the G Rap interview and Rosenberg sounds like a fucking amateur. I love Rosenberg too, but he almost sounds disrespectful flaunting his general lack of 80s knowledge. And the focus on money...jesus christ. I understand asking him about not making money like 90s cats but this is just stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom