• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
My first song as a "producer" done

need to get it mastered tho

http://acemixes.com/Beats/OnMyWay.mp3

iPl6nd3zYmlDa.gif

Ha, did that guy just say RIP Pac?

Btw, how influential is Nujabes in the japanese scene? ive always wanted to ask you that

royalan

Wassup, GAF-Hop

ibz1iwhlqRb5t7.gif

So, someone just alerted me in the Lil Kim thread that Dipset apparently still exists, and still makes music.

Blew my mind.

Can someone link me to the more relevant bits of their new output?

Esch

Banned
So, someone just alerted me in the Lil Kim threat that Dipset apparently still exists, and still makes music.

Blew my mind.

Can someone link me to the more relevant bits of their new output?

iqgN5sGKmH7qc.gif

i guess cam had a new mixtape recently but who gives a shit

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
iPl6nd3zYmlDa.gif

Ha, did that guy just say RIP Pac?

Btw, how influential is Nujabes in the japanese scene? ive always wanted to ask you that

Seba Jun? Before he died he had a little influence... the underground scene here is more gangster rap than anything else

Kimosabae

Banned
Some chick at work said she loves the books, and said "they're just like Twilight" while attempting to get another chick to read them. I didn't know people talked so openly about that book, or compared it to the far less extreme/graphic Twilight lol

I heard there are no black men in the book so I couldn't care less.

If this is to imply that you, being a black male, should see no benefit in mentioning this book to a female because it has no black male characters in it - I can tell you from experience: your wrong.

I'm black.

Are you interested in the relatively broad demographic of women that read the book is another story. My experience thus far has been with young, white college females in their early twenties.

Kimosabae

Banned
Jay Elec's verse is better. Seans is runner up tho.

Word? Jay's verse comes across to me as him having no fucking clue Kendrick and Big Sean planned on turning that instrumental into something HAM. His energy doesn't match Ken's or Sean's at all, like he was kept in the dark regarding the context - probably because he was the first one finished or something.

I like Jay's verse, but I just can't imagine him hearing the other two verses and then writing that.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I should make an urbandictionary entry for 'enzo rule' and then make this the example.
Nah, Kendrick's verse being overrated has been discussed in here already. Lyrically Sean's had superior wordplay, and Jay Elecs has always been the best, so there's no contest there.

but yeah he said some guys names so that was cool and stuff.

Word? Jay's verse comes across to me as him having no fucking clue Kendrick and Big Sean planned on turning that instrumental into something HAM. His energy doesn't match Ken's or Sean's at all, like he was kept in the dark regarding the context - probably because he was the first one finished or something.

I like Jay's verse, but I just can't imagine him hearing the other two verses and then writing that.
Jay Elec wrote his after hearing Sean's. The energy doesn't match, but it's like a father coming down at the end and telling the kids whats up. The imagery on his verse >> *

I only listened to Big Sean's verse on that shit maybe 2-3 times.

He tried tho. Kendrick > Jay Elec > Big
(didn't make the album cause of sample clearances lawl)
Sean

I saved Control as

Control (feat. Big Sean, Jay Electronimonofamajamayarmulke)

So yeah. Lucky I didn't just chops both of those verses out.

Kimosabae

Banned
Nah, Kendrick's verse being overrated has been discussed in here already. Lyrically Sean's had superior wordplay, and Jay Elecs has always been the best, so there's no contest there.

*sigh*

Lemme guess: you're one of those completely hung up on the technical aspects of the verses and your emotional responses - rather than heeding the potential impact and importance of Ken's verse and the implications it has in the context of the hip hop culture today.

I'm not a fan of Kendrick's - don't enjoy most of his music. I also don't like the Control verse all that much - but I recognized how important it could potentially be the moment I heard it. The fact that it garnered such a large response is more than just certain people seeking attention in the wake of its hype.

CRS

What impact is there right now from Kendrick's verse? He got his week of Twitter replies, wack verses, and overreacted hype and that was the end of it. Just an overrated song as a whole.

I don't see any of those rappers mentioned putting out an amazing album. Not one of them. So it's nothing but wasted air.

What impact is there right now from Kendrick's verse? He got his week of Twitter replies, wack verses, and overreacted hype and that was the end of it. Just an overrated song as a whole.

I don't see any of those rappers mentioned putting out an amazing album. Not one of them. So it's nothing but wasted air.
Pushed his album to go Platinum.

So it played that part at least.

effzee

Am I the only one that liked Big Sean's verse most on 'Control'?

It was pretty good. I thought Jay Elec was really good on it too. Kendrick's verse for what he said overshadowed everything.

Big Sean's voice is unique enough that if he put more effort into his verses they would stand out better.

CRS

It was already on a trajectory to platinum status. His feature on Eminem's album would have been more than enough.

Blackace

*sigh*

Lemme guess: you're one of those completely hung up on the technical aspects of the verses and your emotional responses - rather than heeding the potential impact and importance of Ken's verse and the implications it has in the context of the hip hop culture today.

I'm not a fan of Kendrick's - don't enjoy most of his music. I also don't like the Control verse all that much - but I recognized how important it could potentially be the moment I heard it. The fact that it garnered such a large response is more than just certain people seeking attention in the wake of its hype.

*sigh*
no.gif

Kimosabae

Banned
It may end up being nothing but air. IMO, it's still too early to tell. All the response tracks were garbage and completely missing the point.

You can't say for sure how the hip hop community is internalizing that verse and how it may be internalized in the future. If you've got even one competitive cell in your body - you've given some consideration to Kendrick's verse at some point. If you rap you probably do.

All I know is: the most critically and commercially acclaimed rapper atm essentially told musicians in his genre to step their creativity up, on a competitive track, with no hook, 7 minutes long, and it got heavy radio play. That hearkens back to an era a lot of people appreciated hip hop for that is long gone. It was a verse that needed to be made and he was the perfect herald.

Kendrick makes great music (that I'm largely not a personal fan of), so if he becomes the new template for artists to follow in the future - that's us winning in my eyes.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
*sigh*

No, GAF-Hop can cosign this, I'm not one to really care about lyrical miracle shit either. Most of my favourite artists I go off of feel/production anyways, that's why I love Pac and Ye.

The impact something has doesn't make me listen to it more. I don't listen to Takeover still because it had implications at the time and Jay said some of the gulliest shit in his entire career. Nor does any social context. I was saying it was the dopest verse before it even became some sort of social phenomenon. Jay Elec had the best verse because I can go back to it and listen to it. I don't really listen to Control that much now, but when I do I pretty much skip through to Jay Electronica spitting that ish for closure.

C'mon now, we don't need to argue it's influence. You've been on this for a hot minute and it's unfounded. People are still being interviewed and asked about it. Kendrick just did an interview today where he was asked about it, Em namedropped it in his latest interview. It's still a thing and it still had ramifications, from Drake catching feelings and everyone watching to Kendrick solidifying his ranking up high. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. It's a song that's a ruler for people's careers now, and it will always be in the back of dude's heads when they're listening to music. Yeah that boy nice but he's not Kendrick though. Maybe it created a new generation of dickriders, but you can definitely see it from the media to checking social networks. All of a sudden dude is on a whole other level.

Also Pusha put out a Top 5 album this year, so that's that. But Kendrick didn't have much to do with that.

Nothing was the same was pretty cool, and was talk of the week on twitter and whatever.

But are you listening to it right now? How does the first song even go?

#WORST

Kimosabae

Banned
No, GAF-Hop can cosign this, I'm not one to really care about lyrical miracle shit either. Most of my favourite artists I go off of feel/production anyways, that's why I love Pac and Ye.

The impact something has doesn't make me listen to it more. I don't listen to Takeover still because it had implications at the time and Jay said some of the gulliest shit in his entire career. Nor does any social context. I was saying it was the dopest verse before it even became some sort of social phenomenon. Jay Elec had the best verse because I can go back to it and listen to it. I don't really listen to Control that much now, but when I do I pretty much skip through to Jay Electronica spitting that ish for closure.

C'mon now, we don't need to argue it's influence. You've been on this for a hot minute and it's unfounded. People are still being interviewed and asked about it. Kendrick just did an interview today where he was asked about it, Em namedropped it in his latest interview. It's still a thing and it still had ramifications, from Drake catching feelings and everyone watching to Kendrick solidifying his ranking up high. It did exactly what it was supposed to do. It's a song that's a ruler for people's careers now, and it will always be in the back of dude's heads when they're listening to music. Yeah that boy nice but he's not Kendrick though. Maybe it created a new generation of dickriders, but you can definitely see it from the media to checking social networks. All of a sudden dude is on a whole other level.

Also Pusha put out a Top 5 album this year, so that's that. But Kendrick didn't have much to do with that.

We largely agree. *shrug*

Good post.

So you disagree about the morality presented in the verse, then? You don't feel Kendrick's actual message and criticisms have merit, and that someone creating with that message in their head could be influenced to create more substantial music? Or that music should be substantial? On what grounds is it "overrated"?

Blackace

Somehow I can't help but think that this is more an emotional response to some category you've pigeon-holed me into that you find unappealing - rather than any real evaluation of that statement.

Cute GIF, though.

eh? what? I really don't think about you enough to pigeon hole an opinion about you..

I have allowed my thoughts on that verse be known since it came out.. All top artist have an impact on hip-hop culture, but that verse won't even be a footnote in a few years..

Kimosabae

Banned
eh? what? I really don't think about you enough to pigeon hole an opinion about you..

I have allowed my thoughts on that verse be known since it came out.. All top artist have an impact on hip-hop culture, but that verse won't even be a footnote in a few years..

I was talking about in regards to that statement alone.

Nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom