• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

ny rap had a good year, even if it was all underground

trap lord, run the jewels, saab stories/blue chips 2

mainstream had longliveasap, excuse my french, and magna carta

it was ok

better than the last few years at least

Esch

Banned
ny rap had a good year, even if it was all underground

trap lord, run the jewels, saab stories/blue chips 2

mainstream had longliveasap, excuse my french, and magna carta

it was ok

better than the last few years at least

Actually NY lowkey had a great year. All that you mentioned, KA dropped album of the year, Roc w/ Pimpire Strikes Back, Alc x Prodigy, Kismet..... Was probably the least flabby and sick year for NY in a while.

surprisingly also one of the weaker years for hip hop overall though too

french might drop a heater on us with M&C 4 too tbh

codhand

certainly didnt see a gkmc type release, but i really liked 2013,

lotta great vinyl releases, concept albums, experimental, left-field stuff. that's what i like generally.

Esch

Banned
I'm convinced Jay reads GAFHOP and loves to troll Detox for fun.
i6NU4aGGCqmf9.gif

CTE and Jeezy are now a Roc Nation subsidiary, same deal as MMG I'm assuming.

JAYxJEEZYfullimage.jpg

Esch

Banned
So how does this work? I know Jay is going to pocket a portion of whatever he sells, but how does this business deal help Jeezy? Promotion? Budget?

Something like that:

Schoolboy Q interview

Says Nas is his favorite, IWW is his favorite Nas album... Says that Jay won the beef (i don't agree with his reasons or with him at all)... And then goes on to say "Jay is the best rapper.... He's like Lebron, Kobe.. People just wanna hate "he's old... he just got 35 points", says that Jay-Z is one of those dudes that's so good you gotta hate him.

I gotta reevaluate my Q ratings... Looks like everyone in TDE is a Hov stan
jEaaUFYOZPiFa.png

iSpxXFnwJh21z.gif

effzee

Something like that:

Schoolboy Q interview

Says Nas is his favorite, IWW is his favorite Nas album... Says that Jay won the beef (i don't agree with his reasons or with him at all)... And then goes on to say "Jay is the best rapper.... He's like Lebron, Kobe.. People just wanna hate "he's old... he just got 35 points", says that Jay-Z is one of those dudes that's so good you gotta hate him.

I gotta reevaluate my Q ratings... Looks like everyone in TDE is a Hov stan
jEaaUFYOZPiFa.png

iSpxXFnwJh21z.gif

Can't disagree with the point about hating certain artists is the cool thing now simply based on age. Bun B said something similar on the breakfast club interview recently where since the biggest icons in rap are now getting close to middle age, its become cool to just hate on them.

EDIT: Of course they are Hov stans. They grew up on dude's music so why wouldn't they be?

mooooose

Actually NY lowkey had a great year. All that you mentioned, KA dropped album of the year, Roc w/ Pimpire Strikes Back, Alc x Prodigy, Kismet..... Was probably the least flabby and sick year for NY in a while.

french might drop a heater on us with M&C 4 too tbh
flatbush zombies, joey badass (for better or worse), world's fair, and underachievers all did their thing too. they're a good C+ team.

Esch

Banned
Q said Stillmatic is better than Illmatic though.

I actually know a couple people in real life that feel that way. It's actually not surprising given that it's Nas's highest selling album I think?

EDIT: Of course they are Hov stans. They grew up on dude's music so why wouldn't they be?
I just think it's funny because a lot of gafhoppers shit on Jay but all their favorite rappers of today stan him.

flatbush zombies, joey badass (for better or worse), world's fair, and underachievers all did their thing too. they're a good C+ team.

plus that new Killah Priest and Czarface, and 12 RTD if you're into that

overcast

I actually know a couple people in real life that feel that way. It's actually not surprising given that it's Nas's highest selling album I think?

I just think it's funny because a lot of gafhoppers shit on Jay but all their favorite rappers of today stan him.
Oh, I wasn't aware of it being his best selling album.

Well I shit on Jay in the modern day. MCHG was garbage. I'm not the biggest fan, but there is no denying his clout in the rap game. He's going to loved by the younger rappers because they were raised on him. Just makes sense.

Who's gonna say that Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint, or The Black Album didn't do it for them. One of those resonates at least.

It's fun to hate on him too.

Esch

Banned
His highest selling is I Am, which nearly sold 4mil. Stillmatic was 2x plat.

The more you know, I guess. I think it's interesting both Hov and Nas' best selling albums are mostly just some really hot singles with a bunch of filler.

i guess they got that DMX stimulus package
jbdUkbpMwmpLtG.png

effzee

Yeah it is funny but it make sense. A lot of these guys are in their young to mid 20s and 10-15 years ago as they grew up they listened and idolized Jay Z, Nas, and some of the other greats from that era.

Detox

Jay just put money on Slick Pulla. Ol'Camel making all these moves just to convince the God that he will be joining a strong team when his deal is done. All in order to stop the classic album with Premo.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Watching Movies is the best project he's ever made so start there then Macadelic and his new mixtape.

Just get Watching Movies and work your way into his early work and give it a try. I greatly enjoyed Watching Movies but don't care to go back into his back catalog.

Get all of his side projects though like the jazz-themed tape, Larry Fisherman ego, etc.

Yeah, that's the main concern there.

Probably just Watching Movies imo. He got better this year. I hated his previous releases, definitely don't listen to those.

alright thanks. ill post my opinions after i listen

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm convinced Jay reads GAFHOP and loves to troll Detox for fun.
i6NU4aGGCqmf9.gif

CTE and Jeezy are now a Roc Nation subsidiary, same deal as MMG I'm assuming.

JAYxJEEZYfullimage.jpg
MMG is under Roc Nation?

wat

I thought Roc Nation only managed a few of their artists (not all).

lol people were adding weeknd's trilogy mixtapes in their lists two years ago.
Then we should outright ban R&B listings from the list. Which should've been done years ago but for some reason we let people list 'em anyways despite agreeing that it should be a hip-hop list.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Whoever does the OT this year needs to have a giant ass banner stating just that.

No R&B.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Smoke and Ridin' is definitely getting some top single of the year love... there are so many cuts off GTAV that I fuck around with hard. Even that Tyler track was dope as shit.

Really need those GTAV Radio compilation soundtracks soon.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Tweet from A-Trak that got deleted:

Who's Ready??? The Mic - Kanye West Feat Paul Rudd #Anchorman2 #Xmas

"Well Kanye was there; he just wanted to come by, he's a big, big fan. He's doing an album with Paul Rudd — which I shouldn't have said, anyway it's out there," Burgundy said. "I think they were just comparing notes and laying down some tracks, as they say in the biz. Rudd is doing all the hooks. That's a big deal. I heard the album's terrible, by the way. Awful."

MTV.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
R&B has been banned from the GAF-Hop awards. I swear it was the year nostalgia/Ultra came through and blew minds.

We even had a small beef over Dessa a couple years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom