• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esch

Banned
Girls like Wild for the Night and it's not horrible, I don't see the beef. It's really not any worse than Fuckin Problems. Fuckin Problems is better I guess, but still.

Fuckin Problems is way, way better. The beat on WftN is the only thing on the song that stands out, and I dont particularly care for it.

ill give you that its a good chicks track though one of the reasons to keep this album on my phone

Rooster12

So what do you guys think of LongLiveAsap after 10 months?

What do you think of Rocky in general?

Didn't like the album at all when I first heard it. A lot of the beats were....definitely not my style...the drums were weaksauce. And I've heard the whole atmospheric smokey type style done better.

His mixtape last year Live Love ASAP was much better.

I don't care about him as a rapper, whatever he says means nothing to me.

Esch

Banned
i dont get why people cry so much about that verse. Yeah it's shite, but y'all listen to plenty of equivalently trash shit all the time and never complain.

Beat is still flame, and dat gunplay

Jitters

So what do you guys think of LongLiveAsap after 10 months?

What do you think of Rocky in general?

Its one of the best releases of the year. Nothing deep or game changing, just fun bangerz. Played the hell out of so many of the tracks.

Though I admit I underrated Trap Lord, I enjoyed LLA more.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
oh god, roommate tryin' to score some coke and he demands i do that shit with him.

im not sure if im in that right mind for it now... ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

im already faded. stop.

Esch

Banned
I have never listened to a single Rocky verse and been like :whew: :wow: he killed that. Ever. Not a single one

Tokubetsu

RVsfduB.jpg

HiResDes

The most important section:

Old provides expository context and an origin story of sorts for that voice; it is less a honk or strangled yap here than a flagellating cat o’nine tails, the splayed, ragged ends of vocal chords awhip, set about lashing and stabbing with a drug-and-coitus induced fury born out of being backed into a corner and, rather than choosing to fight, getting fucked or fucked up instead.

Brown spends a decent amount of Old free from that corner, and his flow is adjusted accordingly, a kind of puff-cheeked, mouth-full-of-blood oranges purr which he uses to paint vicious street vignettes and lay the framework for the voluptuary tracks to come. It takes a moment to realize that this is the voice of a narrator, one heralding – in ‘Side A (Old)’ and ‘The Return,’ especially – a harder Brown, a gangster and drug dealer whose bluster and viciousness is a facade, particularly in comparison to the more gravelly believable Freddie Gibbs. The obvious discomfort peeking out from behind the AK-47 is not symptomatic of an overreach by Brown, or an ill-fated kowtowing to those whom would rather he shed his more idiosyncratic elements (of which he is astutely aware; see the number of times he refers to himself as a hipster, or some variation thereof) but indeed is the exact opposite, a brush-off by embrace; you wanted Danny the Gangster, now you have Danny the Gangster, and, while he is too talented for the result to be bad, per se – few gangsters would have the rhetorical mastery to slant rhyme “Chrysler,” “spiteful,” and “ice you” – it certainly is different, tacking closer towards the Gibbs school of existential killer than the libertine with a violent adherence to id Brown normally presents to us on the cut.

As Brown strays further from braggadocio and hews the myopic fantasy land of The Streets to the marrow, one can hear his voice cracking, fraying under the stress. It creeps in on ‘The Return’ when the bars become stressed; shows up more noticeably on the Cimmerian lullaby Purity Ring collaboration ’25 Bucks’ with the admission that he is “trapped in the trap and the Devil ain’t forgetin,’” and finally emerges, like a raggedy butterfly, on ‘Wonderbread,’ wherein he recounts getting stomped for a loaf of the titular vittles. Control, and the lower register, returns on ‘Torture,’ a dissociative, syrupy recounting of the horrors he has born witness too, but by the time he hits ‘Side B (Dope Song)’ the whip is unfurled, and with it comes the drugs and sex and dance beats. ‘Side B,’ with its juxtaposition of anthemic opening and spartan, haunted house body, serves as a segue for the rest of the album; Brown’s last dope song, his last recounting of the past, ‘Side B’ signifies the beginning of the second suite of Old, one which gives way to the pleasure soaked retreat one who has suffered what Brown outlined in the first half would avail themselves too

The popular perception of Danny Brown as a particularly lewd-yet-talented harlequin, one who banters about absurd rap tropes indicative of a healthy respect for the hoary even as he transcends it, fails to take into account his most important asset, the one Old makes abundantly clear; his acute understanding of the environment such bromides are born from. It is there, in that seminal muck, where Brown’s true artistry lies.

Esch

Banned
Jesus Christ, thats it. Im gonna write a weekly review of classic albums written in a parody of that overbearing, hand jobbingly analogy ridden pitchfork style. Did this dude really have to make the Conan and chem references? Just feels autofellatious at this point.

Think ill do Return to the 36 Chambers first

mooooose

I can't even believe how good this Rae verse/song is. I want this Rae to make OB4CL III with some production like this. Some cloud rap coke rap.

Rae sounding hungry. Kinda funny/sad that I also don't remember the last time I heard Rae over an legit great beat. Those struggle loops aren't going to save you breh. There are too many dope, low profile producers out here for you not to find good beats.

mooooose

Rae sounding hungry. Kinda funny/sad that I also don't remember the last time I heard Rae over an legit great beat. Those struggle loops aren't going to save you breh. There are too many dope, low profile producers out here for you not to find good beats.
Butter Knives was pretty good but yeah I agree. Weird thing is, I like when Ghost works with big names, but he's a person who works based on sound. I don't think it works because he ends up picking out stuff that just works his one chamber.

Ghost tends to always find good production, it's more of a question of whether it's just good or great. But Rae finds a way to get boring ass beats that don't bring anything out of him. Butter Knives is a dope beat, and the title track had a very dope beat too; coincidentally they were the first two tracks released, and both are better than everything on that disappointing album.

just watch, FILA gonna be Rae trying to rap over second rate trap beats because that's what's hot now.

mooooose

Ghost tends to always find good production, it's more of a question of whether it's just good or great. But Rae finds a way to get boring ass beats that don't bring anything out of him. Butter Knives is a dope beat, and the title track had a very dope beat too; coincidentally they were the first two tracks released, and both are better than everything on that disappointing album.

just watch, FILA gonna be Rae trying to rap over second rate trap beats because that's what's hot now.
Shaolin vs Wu was an ok song. The beat's loop is repetitive but it is a hot beat. Wasn't sure if I should mention it.

I think Ghost suffers more, because he is straight up a better rapper, with more potential, and the production he chooses forces him to be one dimensional when he can basically do anything. He's too good for what he settles for.

I guess Pound Cake is the new "yo son let me spit on that"
if this was 2003, I'd say no homo after that
beat.

Realized this when a dude I went to school with is posting his verse on FB, lol. It is a nice beat though...

IrishNinja

Irish, care to explain why the GAF Hop twitter is now nothing but Shenmue bullshit?
LLShC.gif

you told me to improve it, so i did
you're welcome

I didnt know you worked for IrishNinja thats cool man

i'm a business, man

god the back half of 2013 is stacked!

dr dre detox
jay electronica
doom x ghost
kool g rap x chino xl

i really hope that saafir xzibit ras kass golden state warriors album, doesnt get overshadowed in all of this

pretty sure DOOMGHOST got pushed back already, keep up cods

mmmm, that valve controller thread is super aggy, love it

yeah i cant wait to see which 2-3 genres of games it works on

mooooose

Oh wow bummer, I haven't listened to NWTS yet, I'm saving it for a winter day. I had no idea that beat was Drake's. Man, fucking figures Rae couldn't find a good beat.

They should've had Wu done remixes on all the NWTS beats and put out a tape of it rather than having posse cut on Wu Forever.

Rooster12

You didn't find any of the beats on OB4CL 2 or Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang great??

Dereck

god the back half of 2013 is stacked!

dr dre detox
jay electronica
doom x ghost
kool g rap x chino xl

i really hope that saafir xzibit ras kass golden state warriors album, doesnt get overshadowed in all of this
Did you intentionally list things that are never going to come out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom