• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah lol @ CountBlackule citing his work ethic in the same post where his label wanted him to go to rehab, he was nodding off in interviews, and his daughter told him to stop (and he continues to do it). And at first he said it was sample issues remember? Thats a dope fiend for you though. Lie about all kinds of shit, and cover it up even worse. At least someone DMX had classics before he lost everything to drugs.

Dude came off as honest Abe in that interview. And there was definitely sample issues that they did have, reason why Druggies & Hoes 3 didn't make the album and it looks like Break The Bank had issues with samples too. Look at you calling him a dope fiend because he drinks lean casually and smokes some weed. Rocky was in the exact same spot two years ago with his album.. Didn't see you calling him a dope fiend then
kttcolistopitslime

Quit lettin the hate blind you breh.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Dude came off as honest Abe in that interview. And there was definitely sample issues that they did have, reason why Druggies & Hoes 3 didn't make the album and it looks like Break The Bank had issues with samples too. Look at you calling him a dope fiend because he drinks lean casually and smokes some weed. Rocky was in the exact same spot two years ago with his album.. Didn't see you calling him a dope fiend then
kttcolistopitslime

Quit lettin the hate blind you breh.

I can't wait until this album drops..

just so you can stop campaigning

I can't wait until this album drops..

just so you can stop campaigning
:)
Q's awesome. and I hope those ab soul projects are good, he showed so much promise with control system

Just noticed that when Top Dawg said they're dropping 6 projects this year is that Ab-Soul has 2 projects :/. Kendrick dropping 2015

I wonder if Q realizes he's gonna bomb. Still doesn't have a decent single...seriously, get a Mustard beat and go.

He aint doing that bad on iTunes

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I wonder if Q realizes he's gonna bomb. Still doesn't have a decent single...seriously, get a Mustard beat and go.
Mustard beats guarantee hits?

Man of the Year is at a milli views in less than a week. Collared Greens is at 12 million views. Q is bubbling. He's going to do Pusha T esque numbers, probably slightly better. The movement is the much stronger, and Q probably has a bigger push (no pun intended) anyways. Not to mention he's been associated with 3 of the biggest breakout successes of 2012 and 2013 (Rocky, Kendrick and Macklemore). Is that really a bomb?

Bomb would be sub 50k to me, and that's not happening. I see him doing anywhere from 70k-200k with something like 100k to be expected.

i think he'll do pusha t numbers, whatever that album sold i dunno.

i'm just happy it's finally coming out. for fuck's sake this should have been a fall 2013 album factoring in the time he was taking.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I just went back to the Collared Greens video and Macklemore is in the back wildin out.

What

EDIT: HE"S EVERYWHERE HOW DID I/WANDERINGWIND NOT NOTICE THIS

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Put it up early, you know why. It's bound to happen. That would kill the thread.
Well have it ready at least. Yeezus OT went up super early because of rumblings that Ye would drop it early.

I just think right now is way too early to expect. This ain't LLA.

so i've been listening to eastside moonwalker like crazy lately.

such a shame freddie gibbs is supposedly blacklisted from labels. drop his flunkie crew and he can easily give everyone a run for their money.

Ohnonono

25 Bucks. Megan and him just weren't live. Which is strange, cause Danny was fucking excellent both times I saw him. Just a bigger audience, or something.

Kimmel music is always like that. It seems like the same sleepy crowd and they suck the energy out of any performance. That said it sounded good.

I missed RTJ on Fallon but hopefully can find it somewhere on the tubes today.

Pre-Ordered Oxymoron- I like what I have heard so far.

While running yesterday my ipod was being all crazy. Went from Purity Ring to Chief Keef to Black Milk to Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats to Nip Hussle to Death Grips to Darkthrone and finished it off with a like 15 min. Kayo Dot song. My music selection is getting too deep.

Kimosabae

Banned
It was dope but you crazy. Day cooked that boy imo. The only round I gave rd was the 3rd.

But he went last and the theatrics were on point. I wasn't feeling much of what Daylyte was saying, and while I largely dismiss both of their styles as derivative thug-poetry - Rich is punny as fuck. If you go last and get that kind of reaction I don't see how you're not the winner.

Esch

Banned
But he went last and the theatrics were on point. I wasn't feeling much of what Daylyte was saying, and while I largely dismiss both of their styles as derivative thug-poetry - Rich is punny as fuck. If you go last and get that kind of reaction I don't see how you're not the winner.
Wot

If anything Daylyt is the guy with the more unique style and gimmicks and shit (just generally speaking). Hes a nice convergence of the gun bars typical of URL shit and the kotd nerd shit. I dont judge by last or first, I simply go by who had the better rounds. Daylyt had superior crowd control (ya home turf), his punches hit harder. I can see people not feeling his shit cuz he's a weirdo tho.

Kimosabae

Banned
I may have have to watch that shit again because I don't remember anything Lyte did or said outside scream "I'M NICE!" after some derivative thug-line.

Esch

Banned
Honestly internet debates on this one are pretty split. In my relatively limited battle rap watching experiences there are mostly two kinds of fans. The guys who isolate everything from crowd time and place and purely judge bars and the dudes who put equal emphasis on crowd/performance and material. I dont think either is wrong tbh. The first group makes sense because a lot of people in crowds are dickriders or throw down for their home city. You can also see this affect reviewers who go to battles. Its like going to see boxing/fights live compared to the tv. It changes your perspective on shit a lot. On the other hand I identify with the second group because I think battle rap is performance art. Its basically competitive public speech and the crowd matters. Occasionally youll find a fan thats into both pretty equally like Jayblac. But generally its pretty split.

Kimosabae

Banned
Honestly internet debates on this one are pretty split. In my relatively limited battle rap watching experiences there are mostly two kinds of fans. The guys who isolate everything from crowd time and place and purely judge bars and the dudes who put equal emphasis on crowd/performance and material. I dont think either is wrong tbh. The first group makes sense because a lot of people in crowds are dickriders or throw down for their home city. You can also see this affect reviewers who go to battles. Its like going to see boxing/fights live compared to the tv. It changes your perspective on shit a lot. On the other hand I identify with the second group because I think battle rap is performance art. Its basically competitive public speech and the crowd matters. Occasionally youll find a fan thats into both pretty equally like Jayblac. But generally its pretty split.

I guess that's fair. I'd place myself in the latter camp, firmly, but the bolded does require some consideration.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It was dope but you crazy. Day cooked that boy imo. The only round I gave rd was the 3rd.
I agree. Day cooked that boy and all of his punches were more unique, I think he outbarred and outperformed him.

shiiieeeeet, all my dogs are golden retrievers

That line and bus stop/buzzed top flips were especially crazy. This is probably the battle I enjoy Rich most in but TBH, a lot of his set ups are so very transparent and expected, and because he doesn't have crazy energy, crowd control or performance they don't hit as hard. Rich just lacks the it factor for me, doomed to be okay forever.

This battle also sort of marks the decline of Rich Dolarz being able to get booked and Daylyts reintroduction to battle rap, and I don't think that's because of the relatively tame ski mask antic either (I wouldn't even call it an antic).

Esch

Banned
I agree. Day cooked that boy and all of his punches were more unique, I think he outbarred and outperformed him.

shiiieeeeet, all my dogs are golden retrievers

That line and bus stop/buzzed top flips were especially crazy. This is probably the battle I enjoy Rich most in but TBH, a lot of his set ups are so very transparent and expected, and because he doesn't have crazy energy, crowd control or performance they don't hit as hard. Rich just lacks the it factor for me, doomed to be okay forever.

This battle also sort of marks the decline of Rich Dolarz being able to get booked and Daylyts reintroduction to battle rap, and I don't think that's because of the relatively tame ski mask antic either (I wouldn't even call it an antic).
Yeah lmao I was thinking the same thing. His best battle and he still lost lmao, he was straight against Ill tho I guess. Rich Dolarz is in that K Shine gatekeeper tier. Hes the Edison Miranda of this battle shit.

I was gonna make this post about battlers I like/ respect, but there's too many, so instead I'll make one about who is overrated / I don't respect. I haven't seen all their stuff, but I'm not sure I even want to

Disaster
Arsonal
Pat stay
Aye verb
Ty law
Loe Pesci
The Saurus
Conceited

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm in the latter camp. You can't completely isolate stuff IMO, because what is a good double entendre or scheme is someone delivers it horribly or with a janky flow. At the end of the day when I play that line back in my head, the performance element removes any sort of lyrical merit it may have.

It's good to protect against the extremes though. I think hype men make more of a difference than dick riders or crowd bias. I think T-Rex vs Aye Verb is a good study in this. Rex was MAULING Verb, and yes part of his performance was K-Shine yelling in the back but he had bars too. Verb blames the crowd for being biased and causing him to take that L but they fucked with him until he started spitting wack shit, even after he dissed NY; not to mention Verb had been a fan favourite forever before that.

I was gonna make this post about battlers I like/ respect, but there's too many, so instead I'll make one about who is overrated / I don't respect. I haven't seen all their stuff, but I'm not sure I even want to

Disaster
Arsonal
Pat stay
Aye verb
Ty law
Loe Pesci
The Saurus
Conceited
So much scust at this list.

Diz I can see an argument for being overrated.
Nobody thinks Arsonal is good anymore. He knows how to market himself and has a massive fanbase from being on TV and fixing battles in his favour but he has been shit for a very long time (though I did like Arsonal vs Verb recently).
Pay Stay is dope. Go watch Pat Stay vs Hollohan or vs. Head ICE. He's not the most lyrical or anything but he's very solid in all respects. Pat Stay vs Head ICE is one of my favourite battles ever.
All of Aye Verb's good battles are when he's at home in STL. Otherwise, he shows up with some bullshit. (vs Math was good though; Verb is just really inconsistent)
Ty Law has some crazy punch lines, I can see people not liking his monotone delivery but he has BARS. He's B Magic Jr.
Loe Pesci sucks, only people that rate him high are the easy to impress KOTD crowd.
The Saurus is GOAT freestyle contender.
Conceited is responsible for like 80% of Smack and GrindTime dude's styles in the new era. He's an innovator. SLOW IT DOWN.

Conceited got old to me after like 2 battles ( tsu surf and hitman)

I rewatched the tsu surf one, and originally had it 2-1 for conceited but now I think tsu got him 3-0 lol

Pass the glock to fox.......
And then what!

I was on the floor lol

Also, conceited said " bullets going India temple like the Taj Mahal". Real ninjas know, Taj Mahal ain't no temple lol

That soo yung line was beyond dope tho

I feel like you have to take both into account to an extent, but also try to look at things from a neutral perspective. There's definitely credit to be given when a dude can get the crowd hyped and into his material but if the bars are garbage then the crowd reaction needs to be ignored or at the very least you have to put less value on the crowd in that particular battle. Guys like Okwerdz and Dirtbag Dan have had tremendous success in the past by playing to the crowd and riding on presence rather than bars or technical ability and it ends up hurting their performances in the long run and results in them being considered over rated in hindsight. So really, a battler needs to bring both bars and presence/delivery.

The real problem is when the battlers facing each other are both extremes. Bringing nothing but bars but having horrible presence and delivery makes the bars seem like trash and being nothing but hype and delivery leaves me thinking "But what did he really SAY though?" In a battle with two dudes who are on either extreme.. I'd go with whoever had the better of their weaker element. So in a Bars v. Presence battle, was Bars presence better than Presence delivery? If that makes sense. I can't really think of a better way to word it at the moment.

Ok and Dan suck especially the former and love to ride their homies figurative dicks

Opinions and all that but it's easy to say that when you're looking back at what they did in the past rather than witnessing it when it happened. Like I said though, that's the problem when your entire battle style is based on delivery and presence.

Esch

Banned
Diz I can see an argument for being overrated.
Nobody thinks Arsonal is good anymore. He knows how to market himself and has a massive fanbase from being on TV and fixing battles in his favour but he has been shit for a very long time (though I did like Arsonal vs Verb recently).
Pay Stay is dope. Go watch Pat Stay vs Hollohan or vs. Head ICE. He's not the most lyrical or anything but he's very solid in all respects. Pat Stay vs Head ICE is one of my favourite battles ever.
All of Aye Verb's good battles are when he's at home in STL. Otherwise, he shows up with some bullshit. (vs Math was good though; Verb is just really inconsistent)
Ty Law has some crazy punch lines, I can see people not liking his monotone delivery but he has BARS. He's B Magic Jr.
Loe Pesci sucks, only people that rate him high are the easy to impress KOTD crowd.
The Saurus is GOAT freestyle contender.
Conceited is responsible for like 80% of Smack and GrindTime dude's styles in the new era. He's an innovator. SLOW IT DOWN.
Agreed, Pat Stay especially cracks me the fuck up.

I feel like you have to take both into account to an extent, but also try to look at things from a neutral perspective. There's definitely credit to be given when a dude can get the crowd hyped and into his material but if the bars are garbage then the crowd reaction needs to be ignored or at the very least you have to put less value on the crowd in that particular battle. Guys like Okwerdz and Dirtbag Dan have had tremendous success in the past by playing to the crowd and riding on presence rather than bars or technical ability and it ends up hurting their performances in the long run and results in them being considered over rated in hindsight. So really, a battler needs to bring both bars and presence/delivery.

The real problem is when the battlers facing each other are both extremes. Bringing nothing but bars but having horrible presence and delivery makes the bars seem like trash and being nothing but hype and delivery leaves me thinking "But what did he really SAY though?" In a battle with two dudes who are on either extreme.. I'd go with whoever had the better of their weaker element. So in a Bars v. Presence battle, was Bars presence better than Presence delivery? If that makes sense. I can't really think of a better way to word it at the moment.

You crazy. I love when people with different styles and strengths match up. It's like in boxing, when you put a swarmer vs. a good outboxer. Whoever executes their gameplan and dictates the pace of the shit wins. It might be harder to judge, but it's more interesting that way.

I have to admit my least favorite kind of battle rapper is a guy with great bars but 0 swag like Heartless. Shit has me alt tabbing out.

Agreed, Pat Stay especially cracks me the fuck up.

You crazy. I love when people with different styles and strengths match up. It's like in boxing, when you put a swarmer vs. a good outboxer. Whoever executes their gameplan and dictates the pace of the shit wins. It might be harder to judge, but it's more interesting that way.

I have to admit my least favorite kind of battle rapper is a guy with great bars but 0 swag like Heartless. Shit has me alt tabbing out.

I'm not saying different styles make for bad battles but that when you've got two extremes battling it makes for hard judging. I mean how would you judge a battle of (to use your example) Heartless vs Dirtbag Dan? Even if they both bring their A Game it would almost become a situation where the winner would be whoevers style you hated least.

Esch

Banned
I'm not saying different styles make for bad battles but that when you've got two extremes battling it makes for hard judging. I mean how would you judge a battle of (to use your example) Heartless vs Dirtbag Dan? Even if they both bring their A Game it would almost become a situation where the winner would be whoevers style you hated least.
Just goes down to whoever executed their shit better on each individual round. Just like in boxing. And of course your personal bias plays into it. Your bias and your sense of judgement are the exact same thing when it comes to art. There is very little factual information that goes into any of this.

Just goes down to whoever executed their shit better on each individual round. Just like in boxing. And of course your personal bias plays into it. Your bias and your sense of judgement are the exact same thing when it comes to art. There is very little factual information that goes into any of this.

That plays into my first point in the previous post. You have to try to look at the whole package. If both dudes execute their styles flawlessly, I feel like if you're looking to judge something fairly you'd have to consider their weakness as well. You're obviously right that being an artform, subjectivity comes into play, but being a direct competition I try to set biases aside as much as possible. At least when it comes to close battles or battles from polarizing styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom