• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

Opinions and all that but it's easy to say that when you're looking back at what they did in the past rather than witnessing it when it happened. Like I said though, that's the problem when your entire battle style is based on delivery and presence.

OKWERDZ has never been good, not in the moment, or at the second, the guy sucks.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That plays into my first point in the previous post. You have to try to look at the whole package. If both dudes execute their styles flawlessly, I feel like if you're looking to judge something fairly you'd have to consider their weakness as well. You're obviously right that being an artform, subjectivity comes into play, but being a direct competition I try to set biases aside as much as possible. At least when it comes to close battles or battles from polarizing styles.
I think when both people execute their styles flawlessly, and it's evident that it's still hyper competitive, judgment becomes almost irrelevant. If they're close but had faults, you look at the faults in general. People like doing bar for bar breakdowns but IMO those are sort of corny and bias for/against people according to the length of what they wrote and devalues performance.

I mean if you're battling for a title or something outside of entertainment/for lack of better words any other battle, I would say you look at faults. It's so extremely rare any performance or battle is flawless (I can't even think of an example?), there's always something to pick at.

On top of that, most title shots are decided on the spot which puts a ton of bias based on the crowd, judges etc. so the sentiment about fairness is pretty far out the door at that point. I put no faith in any battle rap judging system, there's way too much bias from personal relationships with battlers and their history of battles etc. At least in physical competition like the boxing analogy there are a bit more empirical measures for determining results.

I think when both people execute their styles flawlessly, and it's evident that it's still hyper competitive, judgment becomes almost irrelevant. If they're close but had faults, you look at the faults in general. People like doing bar for bar breakdowns but IMO those are sort of corny and bias for/against people according to the length of what they wrote and devalues performance.

I mean if you're battling for a title or something outside of entertainment/for lack of better words any other battle, I would say you look at faults. It's so extremely rare any performance or battle is flawless (I can't even think of an example?), there's always something to pick at.

On top of that, most title shots are decided on the spot which puts a ton of bias based on the crowd, judges etc. so the sentiment about fairness is pretty far out the door at that point. I put no faith in any battle rap judging system, there's way too much bias from personal relationships with battlers and their history of battles etc. At least in physical competition like the boxing analogy there are a bit more empirical measures for determining results.

I don't look at "title" battles any differently because there's really very little empirical logic behind them. Even KOTD's tourney system is flawed in my eyes. I'm really more speaking as to how I try to view the battles. Before much thought goes into judgement, I'll already have gotten my entertainment out of it but it's competitive so I feel the need to determine a winner and I try to view things as neutrally as possible. I feel like that helps me learn to appreciate styles and artists that I may not necessarily like. So while watching something like Math vs. Rex, two guys whose styles that don't appeal to me, I can still appreciate the performances.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Action Bronson, Party Supplies & Alchemist to Release Jericho EP.
n6DZ7.png

I don't look at "title" battles any differently because there's really very little empirical logic behind them. Even KOTD's tourney system is flawed in my eyes. I'm really more speaking as to how I try to view the battles. Before much thought goes into judgement, I'll already have gotten my entertainment out of it but it's competitive so I feel the need to determine a winner and I try to view things as neutrally as possible. I feel like that helps me learn to appreciate styles and artists that I may not necessarily like. So while watching something like Math vs. Rex, two guys whose styles that don't appeal to me, I can still appreciate the performances.
I got you. To be quite honest, I myself don't really watch with that level of critique, no do I feel the need to pick a winner necessarily, but I entirely understand where you're coming from.

I couldn't watch/judge a battle with styles I wasn't interested in more than once, but I give people their fair shake. I really do find though that when I watch more battles I end up going back and liking people who I used to hate, or finding appreciation in performances I otherwise didn't care for initially.

effzee

I kinda go back and forth on this. On one hand, their bread is buttered in the pop sphere more than the rap sphere, but on the other hand, they are rapping.

Yeah I don't get how him crossing over into the pop world disqualifies him. And isn't pop basically anything that becomes a top 40 hit? Any rapper then should be disqualified if they become too POPular.

I didn't even listen to the Heist nor do I care to. I hope Kendrick wins but by the Grammy's own set up and previous history Macklemore deserves to be nominated.

Wot

If anything Daylyt is the guy with the more unique style and gimmicks and shit (just generally speaking). Hes a nice convergence of the gun bars typical of URL shit and the kotd nerd shit. I dont judge by last or first, I simply go by who had the better rounds. Daylyt had superior crowd control (ya home turf), his punches hit harder. I can see people not feeling his shit cuz he's a weirdo tho.

Yeah....I can't really believe I just saw someone dismiss Day's lines as thug derivative especially in comparison to Rich Dollarz. Makes me feel like we watched two different battles. Dude always puts so many different references left and right in his bars. Often his bars fly right over the crowd's head, but that was one battle where he was absolutely destroying it. But yeah he is a weirdo, but that's why I love his shit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Pete Rock, Lecrae & Rapsody – Be Inspired

Ebro & Vin Rock of Naughty by Nature debate battle rap. Vin & Treach actually have worked close with UW for a while.

Some history: Ebro went on a twitter tirade a while ago calling battle rap childish and stuff, then said he was trolling when he attacked on twitter, now he seems to be dead ass again. Seems like his main problem that he didn't articulate before is that it is acapella and not on beat. I see what he's trying to say but it's sort of two different things, and IMHO not being on a beat makes the artform much more diverse and what allows so many of these unorthodox styles to be out there.

SMFH @ UW guys playing it off like they made the match up and didn't steal, then threw shade at Smack.

Yeah....I can't really believe I just saw someone dismiss Day's lines as thug derivative especially in comparison to Rich Dollarz. Makes me feel like we watched two different battles. Dude always puts so many different references left and right in his bars. Often his bars fly right over the crowd's head, but that was one battle where he was absolutely destroying it. But yeah he is a weirdo, but that's why I love his shit.
I didn't want to say it, but yeah this was my immediate reaction haha

Esch

Banned
Dead ass thats how i felt. Calling Daylyt derivative had me doing the jackiechanmymindisfulloffuck, he's probably top 5 most unique dudes in the game right now; not just with gimmicks but on the mic, hell even his general appearance.

Some history: Ebro went on a twitter tirade a while ago calling battle rap childish and stuff, then said he was trolling when he attacked on twitter, now he seems to be dead ass again. Seems like his main problem that he didn't articulate before is that it is acapella and not on beat. I see what he's trying to say but it's sort of two different things, and IMHO not being on a beat makes the artform much more diverse and what allows so many of these unorthodox styles to be out there.

SMFH @ UW guys playing it off like they made the match up and didn't steal, then threw shade at Smack.

I didn't want to say it, but yeah this was my immediate reaction haha
Another reason to disregard Ebro. :aahhhh

Someone on The Coli claimed there's a rumor that GKMC will win AOTY (per Peter Rosenberg). I doubt it, I'd put money on Macklemore winning everything.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cilvia Demo
Oxymoron
SZA tape
2 Ab-Soul projects

Is Jay rock confirmed ?
I don't think Ab-Soul's collabo project will necessarily be on TDE. But yeah for all intents and purposes it probably counts.

RE: The Macklemore thing. Complete, baseless bullshit. Grammys being shitty as usual.

Tokubetsu

I'm gonna buy that Isiah Rashad EP and both Ab-Soul projects. I won't buy whatever Kendrick drops. Just wanted Esch to know that.

Who the fuck is SZA though?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Gerald McCoy of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers talks battles. Normally wouldn't post random interviews but they went over a lot of good topics, and judging which we just touched on in this thread.
- Battlers not being hungry anymore, how to fix the hunger in the old cats/top tier
- Essentially why Ill Will barely has any battles and is in dude's top 10s already, why he's successful
- The problem with debatables
- Oversaturation
- The problem with copycat styles (best point here)
- Apparently Conceited is running scared from B Magic LOL

Man, I can't wait for Ill Will vs. B Magic. It'll probably drop tomorrow, which is my guess. It's confirmed to release this week.

Also, RemyD not battling on BO4 anymore. Sounds like Ill has him dangling from a ceiling in a warehouse somewhere:

"I sustained some injuries in an accident on Tuesday . I will be fine but I have to cancel any upcoming performances/ battles for the next few months during recovery. I sincerely apologize and thank you for your support."

tbh I am slightly curious of how Isaiah Rashad's tape will sound

It can't be that bad.

The songs released so far have been pretty good.

I find it kinda weird that TDE is trying to promote Oxymoron and the Cilvia Demo at the same time. Everyone on TDE has a picture of Oxymoron on twitter except Rashad trying to promote his project lol.

I wonder if TDE really did have a shot at signing Jhene though, she's getting really big now since she's been sleeping touring with drake and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom