• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

HiResDes

I haven't seen anything positive about Q's album in months, all of the news that has been coming out is making me care less and less about it.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Replace collard greens with what's tha word

Add sacrilegious, might as well throw in brand new guy considering how badly he owns it

I think Collard Greens is one of his better hooks. It is just so catchy

Kid wit Guns while not his song feels like Q all day.

Detox

It doesn't feel like Q is dropping on a major even though the album is being released by Interscope. They should have bought him a hit like fuckin problems or some big name features.

Esch

Banned
he's really not though. he gets by.
Yeah. Schoolboy Q is a C+ writer in all respects. How much you like him depends on whether you like his personality/delivery/adlibs/beat selection.

Krit is like same tier to me. But his music is more interesting.

overcast

Lose/lose. They buy him something like Fuckin' Problems, and people would still complain that they're desperately trying for a hit. I didn't like Party/Hell of a Night for that reason, felt wrong.

If he releases what he wanted to, then as a fan, I'm happy. So far, so good.

PBY

Banned
Lose/lose. They buy him something like Fuckin' Problems, and people would still complain that they're desperately trying for a hit. I didn't like Party/Hell of a Night for that reason, felt wrong.

I dunno, Q's personality works more w/ party music. He'd be fine over something poppy-ish. The problem was that Party and HoaN just sucked

Detox

It just doesn't feel like a big deal, he could have stayed independent and put out the same album. Doesn't feel like there is any progress or ambition. Granted I'm judging off the singles and features, but Kendrick couldn't have made GKMC without Aftermath so far it doesn't feel like that for Q.

HiResDes

If you're Q and you have all of these dope friends and support from a platinum selling artist then you have little excuse for not being able to put out multiple chart placing singles in lieu of your real first major release. Go big or stay Bandcamp.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
It just doesn't feel like a big deal, he could have stayed independent and put out the same album. Doesn't feel like there is any progress or ambition. Granted I'm judging off the singles and features, but Kendrick couldn't have made GKMC without Aftermath so far it doesn't feel like that for Q.
This is true. Kendrick really needed Dre to come in and fix his flaws to make something great, Q has been at the top of his game consistently already. It doesn't feel like some different album, it feels like HnC2 or Setbacks 3.

DominoKid

Young Thug on Complex

But if Kanye calls and says “I want a Young Thug feature on this song” you’re there in no time, no?
I mean, I went to his house and we did a couple of songs.
The fact that I was [making songs] so fast amazed him too, because he doesn’t see a lot of people who rap like that. I don’t really rap with a lot of people [because] everyone raps the same way. When I first heard he wanted to know who I was and do songs, I was smiling ear to ear like a clown.

What’s the status of the HiTunes mixtape?
I’m about to bring out a mixtape with my nigga Rich Homie Quan that’s called Rich Homie Thug. Then HiTunes and that’s just stoner music. Then I’m coming out with True Blood—I feel like I’m one of the biggest one of those in America so I’m gonna do that with my brother Bloody Jay.

Esch

Banned
This is true. Kendrick really needed Dre to come in and fix his flaws to make something great, Q has been at the top of his game consistently already. It doesn't feel like some different album, it feels like HnC2 or Setbacks 3.

if0zj98bKnfOw.gif

You dudes talk about Q like Jesus.

Posted?

YOUNG THUG & BLOODY JAY (HEW?)
yep, I haven't got to it yet
Young Thug on Complex

But if Kanye calls and says “I want a Young Thug feature on this song” you’re there in no time, no?
I mean, I went to his house and we did a couple of songs.
The fact that I was [making songs] so fast amazed him too, because he doesn’t see a lot of people who rap like that. I don’t really rap with a lot of people [because] everyone raps the same way. When I first heard he wanted to know who I was and do songs, I was smiling ear to ear like a clown.

What’s the status of the HiTunes mixtape?
I’m about to bring out a mixtape with my nigga Rich Homie Quan that’s called Rich Homie Thug. Then HiTunes and that’s just stoner music. Then I’m coming out with True Blood—I feel like I’m one of the biggest one of those in America so I’m gonna do that with my brother Bloody Jay.
That should be awesome.

By the way, why none of yall ever tell me of this gem on Gucci Mane tape? Dude gave Young Thug a solo track. Love it

Q is going to drop an album with great production and horrible song writing, I can tell already. Even the singles I like sound like some dude half assing to a degree. Man Of The Year is dope but could be so much more with a better chorus. Same with Break The Bank tbh, and that Gangster snippet is just more of the same.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Posted? Macklemore talks about how they cut him off before he could say Kendrick got robbed.

Kanye settles with assault victim for $250k.

PG: Danny Myers vs. Mark Miner. Danny Myers went off. Mark Miner spent like 2 minutes rhyming about X-Men SMFH. Son has some of the least energy of any rapper I've ever seen.

if0zj98bKnfOw.gif

You dudes talk about Q like Jesus.
None of what I/Detox said was incorrect. If it wasn't for Dre, Kendrick wouldn't have hit the higher notes of his career; GKMC is far and away a more well crafted project than Section.80.

Q has been at those higher notes his entire career. What/who does Q need to take his shit to the next level? Nobody, that's why it sort of feels like there's no real progression here to match what has been done before. Can Q make something as impactful and everlasting as GKMC? Probably not, but relative to how each artist has been trying to do what they do best, at their best, Q has been at it for longer. Kendrick has had chinks in the armor.

DominoKid

None of what I/Detox said was incorrect. If it wasn't for Dre, Kendrick wouldn't have hit the higher notes of his career; GKMC is far and away a more well crafted project than Section.80.

Q has been at those higher notes his entire career. What/who does Q need to take his shit to the next level? Nobody, that's why it sort of feels like there's no real progression here to match what has been done before. Can Q make something as impactful and everlasting as GKMC? Probably not, but relative to how each artist has been trying to do what they do best, at their best, Q has been at it for longer. Kendrick has had chinks in the armor.

this is just blatantly wrong. Q just aint got the drive and/or vision to get better. because lets be real, theres a lot he could improve on if he wanted to.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
this is just blatantly wrong. Q just aint got the drive and/or vision to get better. because lets be real, theres a lot he could improve on if he wanted to.
Maybe songwriting as PD mentioned, but he still has far and away more instances of that being done well than poorly. Q is great because he leaves some of the grimier shit with rough edges to keep that street feel.

Flow? S tier.
Lyricism? Wouldn't benefit his style, he's good when he's introspective and doesn't need to be rapping like Busta to become inherently better, it might even take away.
Delivery? S tier.
Hookwriting? Could be better, is not bad or mediocre in any respect currently.
Track presence/swag? S tier.
Content? Could use more variety, but it hasn't hurt his music when he has songs that talk about the same shit and they still go hard as fuck. We'll also probably see more variety now that he's changing as a person. He fulfills his niche perfectly.
Features? Fuego.

I'll get on it.

Gangsta is dope as hell. Already heard it months ago though. Trying to avoid listening to songs/snippets, but it's tough.

Yea I remember hearing a snippet from Gangsta last year. Apparently the sample has changed since then.. probably one of the songs they were having issues with.

Yea I really don't a random posse cut like Fuckin' Problems or something like 1 Train.. That's what made Rocky's album feel so hollow to me compared to Live.Love.ASAP.

I do think the song that'll maybe do some work on the charts might be the song he has with 2Chainz since that's what 2Chainz does.

The thing I do like about Q is that his music is more versatile than he comes off to be. He goes from tracks like Blessed and Sacrilegious to something like Hands on the Wheel and There He Go then to Raymond 1969 & Nightmare on Figg St.

So I do expect a lot from Oxymoron at least on the front of having some substance to it. Not just tons of party tracks and attempts at chart songs or club bangers.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Q is going to drop an album with great production and horrible song writing, I can tell already. Even the singles I like sound like some dude half assing to a degree. Man Of The Year is dope but could be so much more with a better chorus. Same with Break The Bank tbh, and that Gangster snippet is just more of the same.

Is that necessarily a bad thing though? If he doesn't deliver something like GKMC lyrically I wouldn't have a problem with it. Whats wrong with a west coast banger album like Chronic 2001? Chronic 2001 isn't Illmatic in terms of lyricism, but it'll always bang.

It all depends on your taste, but I just want a west coast style album, with high production, banging beats and I think/hope we'll get that. I'm loving what I've heard so far though.

^ Most of the people on Dreamville are decent at best.. Bas, Omen and whoever is on it.

And that struggle Ambitions of A Ridah snippet kinda scust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom