• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Either Heaven or Dead People if you count the Deluxe is the best song off of Jesus Piece. Game went into his zone on those two tracks.

CRS

If it's anything like the first volume, it's just his features edited out of the original songs with some sort of mixing.

No thanks.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah, if any rapper that wasn't Game came with Jesus Piece people would've loved it. Now it's just one of those underrated albums that'll never get even the small amount of respect it deserved. Pretty solid records on it.

Guru-Guru

Banned
Looking forward to Q's release, but the problem with it being delayed so much is that I have listened to all the singles 100 times already. I'm kind of sick of Man of the Year, Collard Greens, etc.

This Dag Savage album is amazing. It's exactly what I hoped Blu & Exile's sophomore album would be. Don't sleep on this brehs. You don't hear too much underground shit that is this melodic or well constructed; lots of solid choruses that will work live.

Dope rhymes and some of the best chopped samples I've heard in awhile.

Dereck

This Dag Savage album is amazing. It's exactly what I hoped Blu & Exile's sophomore album would be. Don't sleep on this brehs. You don't hear too much underground shit that is this melodic or well constructed; lots of solid choruses that will work live.

Dope rhymes and some of the best chopped samples I've heard in awhile.
Good looking out

effzee

Jesus Piece has some dope songs. Can't front on that intro, the track with Kendrick, and Ali Bombaye.

overall it's average as fuck, like everything Game touches without 50's guidance.

You know I always wondered about this. After their whole beef, 50 would always claim he wrote a lot of the Documentary, especially the hooks.

How come 50 hasn't been able to help himself with writing hits? He seems just as lost and out of it post that whole beef and brief period where he was on top of the rap game at least mainstream wise.

WanderingWind

You know I always wondered about this. After their whole beef, 50 would always claim he wrote a lot of the Documentary, especially the hooks.

How come 50 hasn't been able to help himself with writing hits? He seems just as lost and out of it post that whole beef and brief period where he was on top of the rap game at least mainstream wise.

Because 50 was successful off a cosign from Eminem, beats from Dre when he gave a shit and the positioning of himself as the thug rapper come to de-wimpify it in a time period when it was either Em or a bunch of sing-songy bullshit on the radio. Add in the fact that he got that female vote and you had a perfect storm. GRODT was a classic, but he had all the tools to make it so and he was hungry. He got rich and then stole the forumla from Ja Rule that people were sick of. His music now sounds the same, but the emperor lost his clothes a while back and covering yourself worn out welcome mats isn't going to win you back any fans.

Because 50 was successful off a cosign from Eminem, beats from Dre when he gave a shit and the positioning of himself as the thug rapper come to de-wimpify it in a time period when it was either Em or a bunch of sing-songy bullshit on the radio. Add in the fact that he got that female vote and you had a perfect storm. GRODT was a classic, but he had all the tools to make it so and he was hungry. He got rich and then stole the forumla from Ja Rule that people were sick of. His music now sounds the same, but the emperor lost his clothes a while back and covering yourself worn out welcome mats isn't going to win you back any fans.

I really liked BISD, but there were a few songs that I could have done without on there.

Illmatic XX to come out April 15th

Nas has announced that his seminal debut album, Illmatic, will be released as a special 20th Anniversary Edition, titled Illmatic XX, on April 15th by SONY Legacy. This exclusive collection will feature several rare remixes, unreleased demos and freestyles to commemorate the anniversary. RapGenius.com is now exclusively streaming the “It Ain’t Hard To Tell (Stink Mix).” In addition, fans can now pre-order the 2CD set on iTunes and both the 2CD set and 1LP vinyl via Amazon.com. Nas has also announced that he will be touring the U.S. and performing the groundbreaking Illmatic from front to back to celebrate the release. The tour will kick off with special performances this spring at both the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts as well as this year’s Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival. Further details surrounding the tour will be released in the coming weeks.

“With Illmatic, I didn't think about it. I just did it. I believe everybody has good instincts. Now I’m a man from that past and I'm supremely grateful. There's a Nigerian proverb ‘What is past is prologue’. I'm here today because of Illmatic.” - Nas

Tracklisting: Disc 1: Remastered original album

1. The Genesis

2. N.Y. State Of Mind

3. Life's A Bitch

4. The World Is Yours

5. Halftime

6. Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park)

7. One Love

8. One Time 4 Your Mind

9. Represent

10. It Ain't Hard To Tell

Disc 2: Demos, Remixes & Live Radio

1. I'm A Villain (previously unreleased)

2. The Stretch Armstrong and Bobbito Show on WKCR October 28, 1993 (previously unreleased freestyle)

3. Halftime (Butcher Remix)

4. It Ain't Hard To Tell (Remix)(promo single)

5. One Love (LG Main Mix)

6. Life’s A Bitch (Arsenal Mix)(promo single)

7. One Love (One L Main Mix)

8. The World Is Yours (Tip Mix)

9. It Ain't Hard To Tell (The Stink Mix)(UK single)

10. It Ain't Hard To Tell (The Laidback Remix)(UK single)

In conjunction with the release, Time Is Illmatic – a feature length documentary film that examines the album – will be released in 2014. The movie, from first-time filmmakers One9 (director/producer) and Erik Parker (writer/produer), delves into the making of Illmatic; the social conditions that created it; and the music legacy passed down from Nas’ Mississippi-born father and celebrated jazz musician, Olu Dara. Time Is Illmatic is supported by The Ford Foundations’ Just Films and Tribeca All Access. More information will be released on the film in the coming months.

To be fair, 50 was huge for years. I think his complete implosion has more to do with his inability to evolve than his song writing ability. I heard his song with Kendrick Lamar a couple days ago, it's not bad; it has that signature chorus, sounds good, etc. But it sounds outdated.

The southern shit really made him irrelevant (back when Wayne really exploded), and now the trap sound has taken over. His songs are still gangster shit that is tiring and dated production.

Esch

Banned
Lil Wyte
jQq4hpeWYwoOq.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I wanna know who's doing the remastering on this. And why just one LP? Bonus tracks only digital? 180g vinyl? I need some real answers here.

WanderingWind

Nas loses so hard he's creating a time vortex that will rewrite history and ensure even his greatest success is tainted by failure.

Detox

Nick Fury's remix of It ain't hard to tell on the 10th anniversary edition was better. They should have got an orchestra to remake the beats.

Cheddahz

Banned
Oh great, the vinyl version of Illmatic XX is twice the price of the CD version and it doesn't even include the second disc's material

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Shit ain't worth it then. Whatever, Nas can find another way to pay that divorce settlement.

Cheddahz

Banned
Ahh fuck.. nvm.

I just checked Amazon and the second disc material was only showing up for the CD version and it states that the CD version comes with two discs while the vinyl version only has one disc

I'll just buy the original version on vinyl

Az

I just checked Amazon and the second disc material was only showing up for the CD version and it states that the CD version comes with two discs while the vinyl version only has one disc

I'll just buy the original version on vinyl

Probably end up doing the same.

Nas is doing well and is involved in multiple business ventures. Some are utterly ridiculous like that stupid fashion line, others are doing well (he helped fund Rap Genius). I doubt he's hurting for money, the problem is that he's paying Kelis a fortune in child support.

Tokubetsu

Nas is doing well and is involved in multiple business ventures. Some are utterly ridiculous like that stupid fashion line, others are doing well (he helped fund Rap Genius). I doubt he's hurting for money, the problem is that he's paying Kelis a fortune in child support.

Raising god's son ain't cheap breh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom