• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think Kendrick's next album is going to be viewed as a disappointment regardless of how good it is? Following up a critically acclaimed debut is very hard in all genres, and rap is no exception. The obvious example is Illmatic. It Was Written is a great album, and arguably the second best mafioso rap album ever, it received very good reviews amongst rap circles...but it's not Illmatic.

Rappers wait their entire lives to release their debut, which is partially why so many debut albums populate "best albums" lists for hip hop. What story can Kendrick tell now, to top his own autobiographical account in GKMC? If it's not a strict concept album some will automatically say it's not as "cohesive" as his first album. If he increases his party/bullshit songs some will say it's more trivial than his first album. etc.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Anyone else think Kendrick's next album is going to be viewed as a disappointment regardless of how good it is? Following up a critically acclaimed debut is very hard in all genres, and rap is no exception. The obvious example is Illmatic. It Was Written is a great album, and arguably the second best mafioso rap album ever, it received very good reviews amongst rap circles...but it's not Illmatic.

Rappers wait their entire lives to release their debut, which is partially why so many debut albums populate "best albums" lists for hip hop. What story can Kendrick tell now, to top his own autobiographical account in GKMC? If it's not a strict concept album some will automatically say it's not as "cohesive" as his first album. If he increases his party/bullshit songs some will say it's more trivial than his first album. etc.
Did you just discover the sophomore slump?

Kwixotik

This Dag Savage album is amazing. It's exactly what I hoped Blu & Exile's sophomore album would be. Don't sleep on this brehs. You don't hear too much underground shit that is this melodic or well constructed; lots of solid choruses that will work live.

Dope rhymes and some of the best chopped samples I've heard in awhile.

Damn, that's high praise. Might have to check it out.

GKMC will definitely be hard to top.. considering I didn't think he'd be able to top Section.80. I think Kendrick has it in him to bring another great album, but I really don't know what to expect. Regardless if it's arguably better than GKMC, I feel people will treat it like you said and it'll be like Illmatic -> IWW and he'll still be respected, but it'll feel like people will think it's the beginning of his decline regardless of how the quality of the album is.

Unless Dre skillfully guides him into his own MMLP.

Macca

I think that first verse of MAAD City has blown up in a way he didn't expect. It's definitely the hardest hitting track on the album, other than maybe backstreet freestyle and seems to be the song that gets the crowd hype. It hardly charted, yet that's what he's doing at the Grammys.

I expect to see more of that shit, hard hitting beats, kendrick going in. See that beats commercial.

Either that or make an album of 'Real'

Nas has also announced that he will be touring the U.S. and performing the groundbreaking Illmatic from front to back to celebrate the release. The tour will kick off with special performances this spring at both the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts as well as this year’s Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival.

Shiiiiiiiit I'm so ready for this.

BRONSON DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK

Security guard tried to stop him from smoking weed on stage and proceeds to get BODIED

lol

exarkun

Did you just discover the sophomore slump?

How would that classify as sophomore slump? Hes had three albums, and been producing music before the first album came out. Sophomore slump woulda been section 80, which was pretty decent I guess.

I know Im late as shit, but Meth's verse on Trillmatic is dope as fuck. Like, top 5 verse of last year dope. My backlog is about a month and half deep, shit is getting to be too much. Dunno how Im supposed to keep up.

Cudder

How would that classify as sophomore slump? Hes had three albums, and been producing music before the first album came out. Sophomore slump woulda been section 80, which was pretty decent I guess.

Nothing matters in rap before you get signed to a label. Once you hit mainstream is pretty much your birth in rap goes, as far as everyone is concerned. It's why the Grammys nominate artists for "Best new artist" when they've been around for years prior. And GKMC was his debut album, not OD.

Esch

Banned
Nothing matters in rap before you get signed to a label. Once you hit mainstream is pretty much your birth in rap goes, as far as everyone is concerned. It's why the Grammys nominate artists for "Best new artist" when they've been around for years prior. And GKMC was his debut album, not OD.

Yep. Otherwise you could consider some shit like this his debut

kendrick.jpg

yeah sorry. I'll take minor of the year over this shit

http://www.dubcnm.com/cdcovers/djillwill-schoolboyq-l.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

esch why you gotta hate on his shine. that's the dream going from a schoolboy to a hustla

these cheap ass mixtape covers are beautiful. i wish they brought them back for major labels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom