• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

injurai

Banned
Question for GafHop

So I recently realized Hands on the Wheel is from Schoolboy Q, yeah I and lot of people are taking note of him more and more. But when I first heard this song I was extremely hard on it for using Kid Kudi so heavily. I listen to a lot of music made entirely of samples but I take pretty hard-lines when it comes to using them in certain ways. For some reason this song really rubbed me the wrong way, listening now I love it. The more obviously intact the original song is the more I want it to be labeled a remix. This isn't the first time I have been irked over a song being more or less lifted, sung over and sold as if it was an original production. In this case I think it's obvious they are using kudi, but in some ways it feels like it's an easy out.

Guess I just want to hear everyone else's take on this stuff. I know you guys are much more in tune with scene, and what it means to do these sorts of appropriations.

Question for GafHop

So I recently realized Hands on the Wheel is from Schoolboy Q, yeah I and lot of people are taking note of him more and more. But when I first heard this song I was extremely hard on it for using Kid Kudi so heavily. I listen to a lot of music made entirely of samples but I take pretty hard-lines when it comes to using them in certain ways. For some reason this song really rubbed me the wrong way, listening now I love it. The more obviously intact the original song is the more I want it to be labeled a remix. This isn't the first time I have been irked over a song being more or less lifted, sung over and sold as if it was an original production. In this case I think it's obvious they are using kudi, but in some ways it feels like it's an easy out.

Guess I just want to hear everyone else's take on this stuff. I know you guys are much more in tune with scene, and what it means to do these sorts of appropriations.

Well it was a sample of this

LA Heads.
8liy51o.png
Gonna try my hardest to go to this even though I'm sure it will be filled to capacity.

Tokubetsu

Question for GafHop

That's rap. Some of the best and classic beats were just breaks from old records. Some of the best hooks are just vocal samples.

If you're not cool with this kinda chopping idk how you could like at least 70% of the stuff that came out of the 90s.

injurai

Banned
It's funny because more than not I prefer the old 90's stuff. But then again I don't always know what is being laid down as a beat.

I honestly don't have a problem with it, but sometimes I have a knee jerk reaction. It's probably a degree of me projecting. I wouldn't want to repackage someone else's material without making it something unmistakably new. I actually really respect what a lot of people do through appropriation. But I have also been disappointed to find that someones sound wasn't really of their own.

Yup, sample of the cover song. I had no problem with it. And it's chopped.

I have contradictory views on sampling. On one hand I loath producers who rely on unimaginative popular samples that are straight up jack moves. But then again...I'm a Madlib fan, and while he doesn't focus on popular samples he often doesn't do much outside of loops.

At the end of the day I just enjoy good vibes/sounds. It can be a simple loop or something more imaginative. Not everyone has to be Dilla to make a good beat. Sometimes a simple loop is all you need, sometimes crazy chopping is what you need. Whatever works is fine with me as long as it's dope.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
As long as the song that is doing the sampling is dope and adds something unique that the sample doesn't have by itself, I don't see why it matters.

exarkun

lulz, i have half of those "newcomer mixtapes" on my external hd. I had taped a printed copy of that mac album to a friends door since he loved him so much.

@PD: Bro, those assload of mixtapes for KRIT had basically the same shit he put out for his albums. I didnt even know Return of 4eva was a mixtape vs Live From the Underground

PGamer

fucking juniors
I think BP is clearly 3rd place in the Jigga pantheon but this song has and always will give me feels. Even though its mostly a swag song it makes me think back on the women of past, future, and present. Must be dat Kanye magic.

*Just Blaze

Mr.Swag

Banned
Hadn't visited this thread in a while...
So what y'all listening to?
I've been listening to Flockaveli lately. Great hype shit while driving to the gym, school , or work.
Also listened to Man of The Year like six times today.

Tokubetsu

Yup, sample of the cover song. I had no problem with it. And it's chopped.

I have contradictory views on sampling. On one hand I loath producers who rely on unimaginative popular samples that are straight up jack moves. But then again...I'm a Madlib fan, and while he doesn't focus on popular samples he often doesn't do much outside of loops.

At the end of the day I just enjoy good vibes/sounds. It can be a simple loop or something more imaginative. Not everyone has to be Dilla to make a good beat. Sometimes a simple loop is all you need, sometimes crazy chopping is what you need. Whatever works is fine with me as long as it's dope.

Yep. A balance in all things.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yeah crack heads can fight..... With a weapon like a screwdriver, or any sharp object really.

But DMX better not get his ass kicked.

I mean....you think X is afraid of jail? I wouldn't bet against him hiding a shank in his boxing shorts and just stabbing the shit out out of Zimmerman before the first bell is done ringing.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
I mean....you think X is afraid of jail? I wouldn't bet against him hiding a shank in his boxing shorts and just stabbing the shit out out of Zimmerman before the first bell is done ringing.

I would buy his whole discography out of respect and argue with anyone who would listen that he was the realest rapper who ever lived.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!

"Once I am done with him, I am going to whip my d**k out and piss on him ... right in his muthaf**kin face."

lol

overcast

Just watched the first episode of True Detective. Can't remember the last time a pilot grabbed me as strong as that. McConaughey and Harrelson are terrific together. Matthew is one of the best actors right now.

On topic, I don't think I'll ever get into Dipset. Just not gonna happen.

exarkun

Just watched the first episode of True Detective. Can't remember the last time a pilot grabbed me as strong as that. McConaughey and Harrelson are terrific together. Matthew is one of the best actors right now.

On topic, I don't think I'll ever get into Dipset. Just not gonna happen.

You gotta wait til christmas and pop in A Dipset Xmas. Its a true holiday classic.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
LA Heads.

Gonna try my hardest to go to this even though I'm sure it will be filled to capacity.

Damnit, I would go, but its on a Thursday. I think its going to be a huge performance like Kendrick for GKMC outside the Staples Center.

Have no idea why Q would set up something for a fucking Thursday night. Most people have to work the next day.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I hate to give that child murderer any more attention, but DMX isn't exactly a top pick in terms of people I'd send to fuck 'em up and do some justice. Dude is gonna collapse of exhaustion within minutes.

Cheddahz

Banned
Q is playing a show where my parents live and the show is being held on a Saturday night, I might just go (haven't been to a show in a while)

I'm trying to get into SchoolboyQ NOW. I listened to 'hands on the wheel' for a minute, but nothing made me follow SBQ, so I'm trying now thanks to you all.

NOW PLAYING 'Habits & Contradictions'

Sidenote: Forums should support hashtags.

Q is playing a show where my parents live and the show is being held on a Saturday night, I might just go (haven't been to a show in a while)
Lmao every post from you about Q is straight slander still gonna go to his concert tho #smh. Second Q #hater to try get tickets to his show #smh. Just waiting on Esch to get tickets too #smh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom