• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
What is being so honest about?

Seems like typical musical industry friends, problems with drugs, fame, and dealing with a new reality sort of problems.
Yeah he's not any more honest than the next artist.

What he may be, is not ready to take his music career seriously if he can't control his drug habits. Which never really ends well if they still exist.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
to be honest, I doubt Nas has even heard Cole or Big Sean's albums.
Most artists don't listen to other artist's albums, they barely have time. I bet even the amount of people that have heard GKMC is pretty small, but probably larger than everyone else's albums.

I bet it does hurt knowing Nas is a huge fan of Sean though.

Most artists don't listen to other artist's albums, they barely have time. I bet even the amount of people that have heard GKMC is pretty small, but probably larger than everyone else's albums.

I bet it does hurt knowing Nas is a huge fan of Sean though.

People have plenty of time breh, from flights to tour buses. Questlove has said that Jay listens to nearly everything, even some underground shit (Quest introduced him to Roc Marciano for instance). But when I listen to Nas talk I get the impression that all he listens to is soul music and old r&b. He rarely sounds like he knows what music is popping.

Same with RZA, you can tell he doesn't listen to new rap outside of the club.

PlayDat

<3 Danny. His life's turned around pretty dramatically since his pre-XXX days so I'd assumed he'd be super happy with where he is. I didn't know quitting codeine was so hard.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Vado - Sinatra EP.

People have plenty of time breh, from flights to tour buses. Questlove has said that Jay listens to nearly everything, even some underground shit (Quest introduced him to Roc Marciano for instance). But when I listen to Nas talk I get the impression that all he listens to is soul music and old r&b. He rarely sounds like he knows what music is popping.

Same with RZA, you can tell he doesn't listen to new rap outside of the club.
This is weird because on his Breakfast Club interview (I think) he said he doesn't have time for everything and stuff goes through filters of various people or gets vetted before he listens to it, basically he's got a bunch of muses (which is pretty common I'd imagine, everyone's boys put them on to various things). I think what ?uest probably meant was that he listens to everything he gets put on to. Yeah I doubt that'd be Sean, but I've bet they've all heard Cole's album.

Also the people at Hot97 always say Jay asks them to put him on to Reggae, etc. more than hip-hop.

Esch

Banned
Just watched that last episode of True Detective. They even managed to throw Clan In Da Front in there. Fucking amazing, makes the rest of what's on television look like unwatchable trash.

Just watched that last episode of True Detective. They even managed to throw Clan In Da Front in there. Fucking amazing, makes the rest of what's on television look like unwatchable trash.

Heard a lot of positive reviews on True Detective. Might check it out.

overcast

DAMN. I haven't watched it cause I was up until 3 doing HW last night. Going to watch it today for sure.

DominoKid

i still havent seen any of True Detective besides Alexandra Daddario's boobs. i might start that shit next weekend since House of Cards is coming back this weekend.

Esch

Banned
I don't know about the rest of the series, but episode 4/the scene im talking about has probably the best action scene i've ever seen on TV.

Glad to see people catching onto True Detective it's pretty good so far with last nights episode being the best so far that action shot everyone's talking about was done in one take.

effzee

Yeah he's not any more honest than the next artist.

What he may be, is not ready to take his music career seriously if he can't control his drug habits. Which never really ends well if they still exist.

Which is so fucking odd for me. He is managed by Rosenberg who just had another artist go through some serious drug stuff and barely live past it. How can he have another artist and not have it in under control?

to be honest, I doubt Nas has even heard Cole or Big Sean's albums.

Cole he probably has had listened to since Cole dedicated a song to him. Then introduced him at the VIBE honors or whatever that was.

I didn't know Nas liked Big Sean.

But yeah agree in general that I doubt most artists really sit there and listen to whole projects. To be honest that's what most fans do. Unless something really grabs me from the beginning or its an artist I like and follow, I can't sit through a whole project. Plus since so many of these guys are constantly working putting out mixtapes in between shows and albums, I doubt they listen to anything more than once.

Not to mention majority of the stuff released is not listenable all the way through. Plus I'd imagine if all you do is rap, sometimes you probably want to take a break and not listen to someone else rap. Maybe you need music to just step away for a minute and refresh yourself.

i still havent seen any of True Detective besides Alexandra Daddario's boobs. i might start that shit next weekend since House of Cards is coming back this weekend.

True Detective is one amazing fucking show. yes Daddario's tits are great but that's just one episode. You also get to see the Monahan girl naked.

But between the main mystery plot line and Matthew's acting there is something for everyone. At times I don't even care for what the mystery is heading towards because I love the scenes where Rust and Marty are interacting discussing life. The acting by everyone is off the charts.

Haven't seen the latest episode yet but read in the OT thread that the show producer said it picks up from here on out.

I actually listened to the whole of man on the moon In full today. I was high as fuck and it got thrown on.

I thought it was great. Don't think I could ever enjoy it sober.

I feel sick

DAMN. I haven't watched it cause I was up until 3 doing HW last night. Going to watch it today for sure.

yeah episode 4 is on some michael mann shit. last 10 minutes were glorious

i'm not gonna mark out and call it greatest show on tv. but i think it will easily be a top 2014 contender

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
For God's sake Enzo, watch something else.

Is there even any decent connectivity to the universe at large?
Yeah, there sort of is, but at the same time not really. It's difficult to describe the show because you get reminded of the promise like every episode and they do dive into the inner workings of S.H.I.E.L.D., but it has major, major issues trying to get you to give a fuck about the overarching plot or the villains that seemingly get replaced every other episode.

When I say it's a slow burn, it's a slow burn. They've even said they've made the show to be that way. It turns into a decent show by episodes 7-9 (also when the actors have learned how to act) but it's hard to recommend because even I quit watching it like 2-3 episodes in.

Mostly don't have time to watch TV shows so I keep it pretty limited. Now that Top Gear is back I have even less time, but if I could watch another show I'd watch Game of Thrones. It's on my bucket list.

Esch

Banned

i'm not gonna mark out and call it greatest show on tv. but i think it will easily be a top 2014 contender

Pound for pound, what's better though?
jFcyYoknv3UDx.png

If anything's gonna get me to stop stalling and watch the last few weeks of True Detective, it's a comment like that.

Still trying to catch up to Banshee though. Falling behind on premium cable shows makes for a hell of a lot of TV to watch with so little time.

Since you guys gave me useful feedback before..

My friend finally made a mixtape. It's pretty much all original beats, most from his boy, Trill Major, and some from random producers who liked his sound cloud. Here are the goods:

Kid Voodoo - Cloud Control
Datpiff (free mixtape download) - Cloud Control

Soundcloud - Cloud Control Stream

It's mainly a smooth tape, if you're into Wiz, it's probably in your lane. If you hate guys like Drake or J. Cole, it's probably not going to interest you. Here are some of the songs I think he shines on. I posted in OT hoping for either feedback or an epic thread backfire.. right now, I'm just getting a consistent march into page 10 - 0 posts territory.

Intro - I think really sets the scene like a studio album. Inspirational speech on what it takes to succeed and then a NY style claiming of his place.

Devils Blood - cut about backing off getting blacked out drunk.. Really easy listen, fun song.

Love Me Now? - More personal, his feelings on trying to rap and growing up as a suburban kid who still fucked up.

and a sick Trill Major beat sampling M83's Midnight City
Told You So

Finally, this isn't on the mixtape, but this is a video he and Trill Major did last year. Probably their first serious effort, and what really got him serious about giving this a shot. He's definitely much better on the tape than in the song, but I think the song still holds up as a fun cut.
Trill Major and Kid Voodoo - IV

Sorry for the cross post, but I think dude has a shot in the game, what do you all think? His boy is supposed to be meeting with a known artist about one of the songs on the tape as is, not sure if that is from interest in the song and adding a verse, or just jacking the beat, though.

still running in the crime genre? yeah it's probably flawless victory by the time the finale hits

but in the overall grand scheme of things i don't see it as good as the wire (or even...mad men and boardwalk. those are my post wire/sopranos goats). rust is a top tier tv character now though. mcconaughey da gawd

Pound for pound, what's better though?
jFcyYoknv3UDx.png

True Detective wins. Justified is my second place. I guess House of Cards is third. Idk, I think it's cool but I feel like the pacing with Netflix shows is kinda messed up they're sorta designed for you to marathon so it makes me enjoy individual episodes alot less.

Haven't seen the new ep of True Detective yet, gonna watch tonight. The show has been great thus far. I figured it would be good but didn't expect it to be this stunning. It reminds me of The Wire in the sense that the writing feels far more like a novel than a television show.

Esch

Banned
Mad Men? I'm not trying to hear about a bunch of white people in the 60s with too much money complaining about how they didnt get promoted or whether their wife is getting dicked down by some chach. wasted too much time watching that boring shit

Tokubetsu

Haven't seen the new ep of True Detective yet, gonna watch tonight. The show has been great thus far. I figured it would be good but didn't expect it to be this stunning. It reminds me of The Wire in the sense that the writing feels far more like a novel than a television show.

Well it's written by a novelist. This is his first screenplay too. Random but one of my favorite journalists/writers did a blurb on him and the show. It's good:
http://blogs.bookforum.com/review/2014/02/06/true-detective-a-pure-visual-novel/

T Dollarz

True Detective is creeping its way up my top shows list of all time very quickly. And esch you are wrong bruh, Mad Men is second only to Breaking Bad for me, and I'm only on season 5.

True Detective has felt up there with Mad Men since the first episode. McConaughey and Harrelson are killing it. I probably enjoy both a bit more than Breaking Bad. Still stanning for the Wire until the day I die, tho.

Esch

Banned
Esch doesn't like Mad Men cus he gets enough of it in real life
LuEuQ.png

lol that's peterboy not me...It's just irrelevant to my interests I guess. I don't get any enjoyment out of it. I hate every single last goddamn selfish annoying psychopath character on the show. Maybe if they spent more time on the business aspect of it it'd be interesting. In terms of writing and cinematography, I never feel like they do anything that makes me perk up in the slightest. It just feels like whiny background noise. The only time I remember the show surprising me was when that dude got his foot lawnmowered. Without Jon Hamm it'd be a C- show.

How you finna hate on mad men when true detective has such similar properties?

I'd love a sit down between don draper and rust

They'd get along and have a drink and then don would shut rust's narcissism down with a realistic opinion. And then go home and piss his pants and pass out /credits

overcast

Still haven't gotten back to Mad Men. I've heard a lot of good things about Orphan Black and Hannibal too. As far as current day things.

Mad Men? I'm not trying to hear about a bunch of white people in the 60s with too much money complaining about how they didnt get promoted or whether their wife is getting dicked down by some chach. wasted too much time watching that boring shit

The show is about a lot more than that. Specifically a group of characters trapped in various social constructs - be it gender roles, race, etc - and the inner and outer conflict caused. I really enjoy the show. I've only seen the first three seasons though. I thought S3 was stellar.

One of my favorite scenes from the show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvNSYDGS_Mc

That's just great, subtle writing. And one of the best examples I've seen of the "two Americas" concept in film/television.

Esch

Banned
maybe its cause i hate the 60's so much. I can never get into anything set around the time period. Music, movies, games, anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom