• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
But the Macklemore comment was just him whining about not winning and asking why didn't Mecks give him a shoutout too.

Jealousy and super undercover shots at Kendrick (again) does not earn a man credit.

It really wasn't about him not winning...

Dude broke it down basically saying Macklemore's music reached more people than anyone else last year...

Not a huge fan of Drake but it's like if he says anything about issues in hip-hop it's feelings and whining no matter what he says

WHAT.

De La Soul to Make Entire Catalog Available for Free:
Rolling Stone said:
In honor of next month's 25th anniversary of their debut album 3 Feet High and Rising, De La Soul are making their entire catalog available for free download for 25 hours on the group's website. The download bonanza will begin on Friday, February 14th at 11 a.m. EST until Saturday at noon.

Where does '3 Feet High and Rising' rank on Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time?

"It's about allowing our fans who have been looking and trying to get a hold of our music to have access to it," De La Soul member Posdnuous tells Rolling Stone. "Its been too long where our fans haven't had access to everything. This is our way of showing them how much we love them."

The same things that made 3 Feet High and other De La albums so influential — its creative, if not fully licensed, use of a myriad of samples — has also prevented the group's work from appearing on many digital platforms. "It's been a trying journey," admits Posdnuous. "We've been blessed to be in the Library of Congress, but we can't even have our music on iTunes. We've been working very hard to get that solved." The rapper points to frequent changes at record labels and hazy language in early contracts that have led to long delays in properly clearing the group's catalog.

The release of the group's catalog is the first of numerous upcoming projects. In a few weeks, they'll post new songs to their site alongside You're Welcome, their first album since 2004's The Grind Date that they hope to release before summer. Next month will also see the release of Preemium Soul on the Rocks, a six-song EP with three beats each from DJ Premier and Pete Rock. The group is also planning a visit to Detroit to work on an unreleased beat from J Dilla, the prolific producer who passed away in 2006. "Dilla was the Tupac of producers," says Posdnuous. "He has so many unreleased things that no one has heard. His family knows how vital and important an ingredient his music was to our work."

Asked about the status of You're Welcome, an album originally scheduled for release last year, Posdnuous says that it's "coming along amazingly," but points to self-criticism in its delay. "We have tons of music, but we're our own worst critics," admits the rapper. "Certain groups have too many 'yes men.' In our group, we have too many 'no men.' When we look back on some of the stuff we have, we're like, 'Yo, we need to just put this out.' The album is still called You're Welcome, but we also have this whole other album that we're working on that…Wooo, I wish I could talk about it."

Twenty-five years into their career, the group is ready, if somewhat cautiously, to adopt the more-is-more release schedule of its younger peers. "We're just getting in the mode of constantly giving people new music," says Posdnuous. "I'll be the first to say that not everyone can do it. You can put out a new mixtape every week, but it can dilute what you're putting out because you haven't had enough time to see what's going on with your life to write something from a different angle. With us, we've sat a long time without releasing an album. It's high time we start releasing a bunch of stuff because it's there."
Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/de-la-soul-to-make-entire-catalog-available-for-free-20140213

It really wasn't about him not winning...

Dude broke it down basically saying Macklemore's music reached more people than anyone else last year...

Not a huge fan of Drake but it's like if he says anything about issues in hip-hop it's feelings and whining no matter what he says

That only makes sense in the context of not apologizing for winning, when Drake was saying he should get one too it stops making sense if 'reached more people' is the angle, which isn't the angle Macklemore was even taking. He just said Kendrick made the better album.

Blackace

That only makes sense in the context of not apologizing for winning, when Drake was saying he should get one too it stops making sense if 'reached more people' is the angle, which isn't the angle Macklemore was even taking. He just said Kendrick made the better album.

Basically he said this

Why say sorry for winning you found a way to reach more people and different markets than anyone in the game... own that

And if you going to apologize send one to Jay-Z Ye and me too...

And... oddly Macklemore has never said K-Dot made a better album than him just he should have won best hip-hop album of the year

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
951.gif

Basically he said this

Why say sorry for winning you found a way to reach more people and different markets than anyone in the game... own that

And if you going to apologize send one to Jay-Z Ye and me too...

And... oddly Macklemore has never said K-Dot made a better album than him just he should have won best hip-hop album of the year

We agree that the apology wasn't necessary, but what he was apologizing for wasn't about popularity, that's why Drake sounds whinny dry begging for one.

The grammys are a popularity contest so Macklemore won but Macklemore felt like he robbed him, not because Kendrick is more popular but because he thought he made a better album.

He didn't feel he robbed Jay, Ye or Drake because in his opinion, Kendrick made the rap album of 2013.

Saying you robbed someone of Rap Album of 2013 is heavily implying that he made a better album than you...and everyone else that year.

Blackace

We agree that the apology wasn't necessary, but what he was apologizing for wasn't about popularity, that's why Drake sounds whinny dry begging for one.

The grammys are a popularity contest so Macklemore won but Macklemore felt like he robbed him, not because Kendrick is more popular but because he thought he made a better album.

He didn't feel he robbed Jay, Ye or Drake because in his opinion, Kendrick made the rap album of 2013.

Saying you robbed someone of Rap Album of 2013 is heavily implying that he made a better album than you...and everyone else that year.

Think the Grammys were going to classify Macklemore not as a hip-hop artist... and he doesn't really view himself as pure hip-hop which is why he felt he robbed K-Dot of best hip-hop album... but he never said your album is plain better than mine

Personally I think he played that humble card to ensure his win

Drake rambled on too much but if it was ANY other rapper I doubt anyone would go as far as saying so-and-so is bitter cause he didnt win so-and-so caught feelings and whatnot... no one needed a public apology and that pretty much was the sole point

Blackace

Drake could tell folks that the sky is blue and folks would find a reason to get mad at him about it. It's funny.
Catching feelings about the sky being blue!

Funny how both Common and even K-Dot attacked him over petty shit but he caught feelings

Catching feelings about the sky being blue!

Funny how both Common and even K-Dot attacked him over petty shit but he caught feelings

Dude is a sensitive child, there's no denying. Any criticism makes him feel a type of way. Despite all the fame and money he's still that awkward quiet high schooler who his classmates mocked.

Think the Grammys were going to classify Macklemore not as a hip-hop artist... and he doesn't really view himself as pure hip-hop which is why he felt he robbed K-Dot of best hip-hop album... but he never said your album is plain better than mine

Does he literally have to say "Kendrick's album was better than mine" when he said his album winning robbed Kendrick of rap album of 2013? C'mon.

I've never heard Macklemore say he was anything else but an underground hiphop artist, links to him saying otherwise?

Personally I think he played that humble card to ensure his win

Drake rambled on too much but if it was ANY other rapper I doubt anyone would go as far as saying so-and-so is bitter cause he didnt win so-and-so caught feelings and whatnot... no one needed a public apology and that pretty much was the sole point

Maybe, who knows.

Esch

Banned
Who gives a shit anyway. Rolling Stone is a shit magazine, they're like the MSNBC of music journalism. The only good thing about them is Matt Taibbi articles

You know what? No Toku, I'm heated man.

Seriously though, he bitched about having a celebrity who just died taking the cover. Of rolling stone. He lacks any self awareness and just continues to be the whiny dude people mock.

real talk

dude is becoming a parody of himself. can't wait until some new sensitive singer rapper takes his spot.

effzee

Who gives a shit anyway. Rolling Stone is a shit magazine, they're like the MSNBC of music journalism. The only good thing about them is Matt Taibbi articles

Whats considered a good magazine nowadays anyway?

Every single one brought up is shit on for being terrible at this or terrible at that. And usually over a difference of opinions, tastes, or reviews.

I usually like Rolling Stone and Complex's stuff but obviously not everything I agree with.

Blackace

Does he literally have to say "Kendrick's album was better than mine" when he said his album winning robbed Kendrick of rap album of 2013? C'mon.

I've never heard Macklemore say he was anything else but an underground hiphop artist, links to him saying otherwise?

Saw a youtube interview where he said he didn't know what the Heist was classification wise but on my phone now

And about him thinking that K-Dot flat out made a better album did find this quote
“My text to Kendrick after the show. He deserved best rap album... I'm honored and completely blown away to win anything much less 4 Grammys. But in that category, he should have won IMO. And that's taking nothing away from The Heist. Just giving GKMC it's proper respect.. With that being said, thank you to the fans. You're the reason we were on that stage tonight. And to play Same Love on that platform was a career highlight. The greatest honor of all. That's what this is about. Progress and art. Thank you.

Edit also on hot 97 he said K-Dot made a better rap album which kinda says he doesn't think of himself as a pure hip-hop artist anymore

Saw a youtube interview where he said he didn't know what the Heist was classification wise but on my phone now

And about him thinking that K-Dot flat out made a better album did find this quote

Edit also on hot 97 he said K-Dot made a better rap album which kinda says he doesn't think of himself as a pure hip-hop artist anymore

Ahhh that makes more sense, still sounds like he holds GKMC ina higher regard than the other nominees, explains why he only mentioned that one album.

Drake still comes away from it looking silly saying he should get an apology.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
lookin to see this drip before i gotta head out for valentines day plans... ain't no time to be on the internet then :/

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Unless you've been dating for three years!

Jk jk, but doin vday... Tom, on vday.

nah, we agreed we wanted to beat the crowd tomorrow night and are getting hooked up at a friends Creole restaurant tonight. Dude is legit and wants to set us up right all night. Tomorrow will be chill and low-key.

PBY

Banned
nah, we agreed we wanted to beat the crowd tomorrow night and are getting hooked up at a friends Creole restaurant tonight. Dude is legit and wants to set us up right all night. Tomorrow will be chill and low-key.
Well done.

And then tom night: wine+ house of cards.

#bangbang

Nitsuj23

The self-appoint King Lurker (me) had to come out of the shadows to wish Des a Happy Bday. Don't know what my music collection would look like without you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom