• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Everything Q has done has been an L in your book lol

And everything Q has done has been fuckload awesome in your book so the universe is at peace

Packaging doesn't look bad... it does kinda look like it was designed with some default printer software tho

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Everything Q has done has been an L in your book lol
Nah I spent the better part of the past few months defending Q not dropping in 2013 as being a good idea.

I mean, my expectations went underground after we found out there would be no Druggies Wit Hoes. The snippets sound like they could be something good if we hear the full song. I agree with whoever said the GKMC snippets made the album seem like it was going to be some bullshit too. It's better to keep an open mind ATM, but I'm almost preparing for disappointment. I really do get a weird feeling that, like someone else said (mooooose?), it almost sounds like he's trying to channel GKMC or to try to make his shit sound extra thematic or deep when it really doesn't need to be and maybe even takes away from the songs since they all seem to pale in comparison to the bangers where Q does Q best.

Also y'all need to chill hoping for a leak. That picture was tweeted by that TDE employee that keeps teasing music.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I'm more excited for Sanctified to come out than I am for the entirety of Oxymoron TBH.

Also I hope we get something from Y2 (or it exists) today, but probably not from looking around the net.

DominoKid

Oxymoron packaging is terrible wth

it is.

but honestly the importance of packaging these days is overrated IMO, unless you're trying to peddle an album as a premium product (and Q clearly isn't) like that Freeway x Jake One album for example.
freewaycd-df667e360c349d39a3e0453e0eac21f2c6ada880-s6-c30.jpg

or some of those collectors edition album rereleases. like the Purple Tape rerelease.

but for the most part once people rip your album to their computer they never look at it again unless they need to re-rip it for some reason. and that's even if people even bother to get off their ass and go buy the physical. i can see why people don't really put the effort into the artwork anymore.

overcast

Lines have been drawn, Q is either GOAT or WOAT with Oxy. No inbetween guys.

i do love how ridiculous everything gets with a big album release, going to be fun.

Edit: wait, how is that packaging bad? No worse than any other CD I have. Probably better than quite a few honestly, looks dope.

Esch

Banned
Whats considered a good magazine nowadays anyway?

Every single one brought up is shit on for being terrible at this or terrible at that. And usually over a difference of opinions, tastes, or reviews.

I usually like Rolling Stone and Complex's stuff but obviously not everything I agree with.

They're all crap. And that's no surprise; who cares about music journalism anymore? I'd rather read forum posts or blogs, they're more personal, there's no shysty tactics involved with promo etc. That's just me though

DominoKid

Every single one brought up is shit on for being terrible at this or terrible at that. And usually over a difference of opinions, tastes, or reviews.

I usually like Rolling Stone and Complex's stuff but obviously not everything I agree with.

Fader's the only magazine I even bother with.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
They're all crap. And that's no surprise; who cares about music journalism anymore? I'd rather read forum posts or blogs, they're more personal, there's no shysty tactics involved with promo etc. That's just me though

so what are some good blogs? besides you know the nahright/2dopeboys/missinfo PR agency carbon copy types?

Esch

Banned
so what are some good blogs? besides you know the nahright/2dopeboys/missinfo PR agency carbon copy types?
I like 2dbz lol, not for the actual written content but the way they feed you music. Theyre better on twitter, just get the songs without the commentary.... I dont think any one source is great because I like some of the more conventional shit like youd find on the coli, but also some of the more hipster shit you'd find on say, Noisey or nodata. Just saying I prefer the quick blurb/blog format to straight mags.

Jitters

Rolling Stone and Complex are good magazines. I don't read them, but they are good.

Of course you don't agree with them all the time. Is there anything/person you agree with all the time? No. You are right though, peolpe trash them if something they like gets a bad review, even if they gave great reviews to everything else they love. Its ridiculous. People just ignore the fact that they may have good article or entertaining reviews and whatnot.

I veeeeeeeeeeery rarely see message board posters worth caring about. Usually just a bunch of dorks. :(

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Here is the final track listing for my half of the mixtape.

I will most likely record it one more time to make sure the transitions are clean as they can be..

F*CK U
PAY ME

ACE SIDE

1) War Ready – Rick Ross ft. Young Jeezy
2) Sh!t (Remix) – Future ft. Drake & Juicy J
3) First Quarter Freestyle – Big Sean
4) Check – T.I. ft. Problem, Young Dro & Trae the truth
5) LeBron James (Remix) – Yo Gotti ft. Meek Mill
6) Twerk Season – 2 Chainz ft. Lil Wayne
7) Hannah Montana (twerk mix) – Migos
8) Booty – Juvenile ft. 2 Chainz
9) No Games (MMG Remix) – Rick Ross ft. Future & Meek Mill
10) My Nigga (Remix) – YG ft. Rich Boy Quan, Lil Wayne & Meek Mill
11) Used 2 – 2 Chainz

http://acemixes.com/Mixes/FUPAYME.mp3

HiResDes

Rolling Stone and Complex are good magazines. I don't read them, but they are good.

Of course you don't agree with them all the time. Is there anything/person you agree with all the time? No. You are right though, peolpe trash them if something they like gets a bad review, even if they gave great reviews to everything else they love. Its ridiculous. People just ignore the fact that they may have good article or entertaining reviews and whatnot.

I veeeeeeeeeeery rarely see message board posters worth caring about. Usually just a bunch of dorks. :(
Rolling Stone is awful don't ever support it. There was a time when they officially stated that no rap album should receive more than a 3.5/5. They're the biggest offender of bandwagonry and haven't had there finger on the pulse of what's new and exciting in music since the Rolling Stones were in their heyday.

Drake's apology over his Rolling Stone Rant

With today being the 5th anniversary of So Far Gone I figured it's fitting to return to it's place of its origin in order to clear the air about an extremely emotional day. I completely support and agree with Rolling Stone replacing me on the cover with the legendary Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He is one of the most incredible actors of our time and a man that deserves to be immortalized by this publication. My frustration stemmed from the way it was executed. The circumstances at hand are completely justifiable (on the magazines behalf), but I was not able to salvage my story or my photos and that was devastating. They ran the issue without giving me a choice to be in it or not. I would have waited until it was my time because I understand the magnitude of the cover they chose but I just wasn't given that option and that made me feel violated. I apologize to anybody who took my initial comments out of context because in no way would I ever want to offend the Hoffman family or see myself as bigger than that moment. I am still the same person. Today I was forced out of my character and felt the need to react swiftly. These days are the worst ones. Waking up after a great night in the studio and it's your day to be picked apart. After dwelling on it for a few hours or days you will come to the conclusion that you brought it on yourself almost every time. So here I am having that moment. I once again apologize to everybody who took my cover comments the wrong way. I respect Rolling Stone for being willing to give a kid from Toronto a shot at the cover. I guess this is a day to learn and grow.

Sincerely,

The Boy

Esch

Banned
Rolling Stone is awful don't ever support it. There was a time when they officially stated that no rap album should receive more than a 3.5/5. They're the biggest offender of bandwagonry and haven't had there finger on the pulse of what's new and exciting in music since the Rolling Stones were in their heyday.
Yep. I feel like their coverage is being done by grandpas and I find a lot of their side articles to be really clumsy, panderingly liberal. I know this because I have a free sub to the magazine. I really don't think its worth the paper its printed on... like I said except for matt taibbi articles.

effzee

What I was getting at is that all of these outlets, forums and mags are just opinions.

There is no one real credible one where they are right 100% of the time because at the end its just opinions.

You might have some underground writers or blogs which don't have to worry about dealing with the record labels or the industry so they are more free to say what they want to say, but at the end of the day its all opinions. Some you agree with and some you don't. That's why I never get the trashing of magazines. Is RollingStones out of touch with rap? Probably. A lot of music coverage is. But I also find a lot of the blogs and forums so far on the other end that its hard to find a balance at times.

In general people seem to side with whatever media (print mainly here) their opinions mostly line up with but I don't get people who become upset that their favorite mag or reviewer gave something a bad review when they liked it or vice versa. Its bound to happen. I loved Ebert and read his reviews all the time but sometimes I would have the complete opposite opinion than his. But at least I was able to respect where he was coming from. As long as a review, interview, or editorial seems well thought out I can respect it.

Then again I never purchase any of these mags, just find their interviews online so I guess I am far less harsh on them then I would be if I paid for any of it. \

With all that said though, just like the Grammys there is some prestige or honor with being on the cover and the lead story. People shit on the grammys all the time but then get all emotional (fans and artists) when they lose or feel they are robbed. Not Drake is gonna Drake because of the RS cover story.

There was a time? Like back when all music media coverage relegated rap to be some fad niche non music art form? Or you mean more recently? I'm asking because I don't know.

Of course you don't agree with them all the time. Is there anything/person you agree with all the time? No. You are right though, people trash them if something they like gets a bad review, even if they gave great reviews to everything else they love. Its ridiculous. People just ignore the fact that they may have good article or entertaining reviews and whatnot.

'
Yup. And just like the Grammys where the only real reason to watch is for cool performances, the best thing about these magazines is that they do score some really great interviews from time to time.

Cheddahz

Banned
"I AM YEEZUS!"

Happy Valentine's Day everyone! I'm getting paid today, so that automatically makes it a good day. I also listened to good kid, m.a.a.d city all the way through for the first time in a while and yes, the album still holds up

Cudder

Deadboy is a top three Bones project
Have to give it more playtime. Bottom line with Bones, his projects usually have a bunch of filler tracks, but on every single one there are a handful of songs that are dope as fuck and I could quite possibly bump them every day for as long as I live and wouldn't get sick of them. I'm gonna make a Bones compilation folder and just dump all my fav tracks in it and bump it religiously.

Wonder how many projects he's going to put out this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom