• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooooose

I don't get the El-P hate on RTJ either. He isn't amazing on every track, he isn't even good on every track, but he's about average through out.
He destroys Mike on Twin Hype. I don't think Mike destroyed El on any track, maybe Sea Legs but that wasn't an amazing verse so much as just a cool one.

PBY

Banned
RTJ is cool, but I'd never put it in a top 10 of anything. They aren't making songs, just cool beats and battle verses with back and forth punchlines about paranoia and shit. They clearly whipped it up really fast, which is cool- but as far as "songmaking" its pretty mediocre and gets old fast.

El-P is one of my favorite hip hop artist of all time.

denzel_intro.jpg

Funcrusher Plus is top 10 greatest albums of all time, not even just hip-hop.

mooooose

RTJ is cool, but I'd never put it in a top 10 of anything. They aren't making songs, just cool beats and battle verses with back and forth punchlines about paranoia and shit. They clearly whipped it up really fast, which is cool- but as far as "songmaking" its pretty mediocre and gets old fast.
Yeah. They rap. That's what rapping is. Scust at this fruity outlook on rap.

caesar

Banned
Don't think I ever did this.

Musical Taste:
Pick a coast to rep - East Coast
Favorite Artist - Death Grips
Best feature killer - Q / exquire
Favourite producer - Premo
Favourite album - MM.. Food?
What's in your playlist right now? - Marcberg and Old

GAF-Hop Discusses:
Rank Kanye's albums: CD, Yeezus, LR, MBDTF, GR, 808
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Ghostface
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Ghostface
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Yes, not a bad thing.
Who won? Nas or Nas? Nas
Biggie or Pac? Biggie
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? Both
How do you feel about Macklemore? He sucks. The end.
Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever? Jay Elec, lets face it Detox and LS 2 would be trash anyway.

Cudder

Can we open a little discussion on why/how Cunninlynguists aren't bigger than they are? I'm not talking in mainstream, but just in rap in general.

They constantly make dope music. Their later work (Oneirology, Still Motion, A Piece of Strange) brings a more solid, refreshing, "mature" perspective into hip hop than pretty much anything out there.

I wasn't a fan of them from the beginning but it seems like they have a small (read: very small) fanbase that doesn't really change or grow from project to project. They've worked with some pretty high profile and respected people on their music (KRIT, Cee Lo, Gibbs), but they never seemed to be featured on any of those artists' bodies of work.

Is it the name? Is it their label?

Thoughts?

mooooose

You know, I flipped out about Yeezus when I first heard it, but that album is sort of a piece of shit, really. That had absolutely no staying power with me. It was something I heard once and said WOW this is so different and left nothing to contemplate over. Ye took other genres at complete face value and shoe horned it into rap. Death Grips and RATKING do what he tried more authentically and with more meat. Someone like Danny Brown has actively been pushing hip hop forward in a way that is going to make Ye spin in his eventual grave. The entire Yeezus thing was incredibly shallow.

Was New Slaves on SNL cool? Yeah. Is it a great song? no. Was the projector thing cool? yeah. Did it make Ye cool, in the intended way? no. Are I'm In It and Can't Handle My Liquor good songs? Yeah. They are great songs. That's it.

Fuck Yeezus.
Slaughterhouse rap. They can't make a good song for the life of them. There's a difference.

**DISCLAIMER**EL P MADE MY TOP 10 LAST YEAR**
Slaughterhouse are also pieces of shit without anything to say.

PBY

Banned
You know, I flipped out about Yeezus when I first heard it, but that album is sort of a piece of shit, really. That had absolutely no staying power with me. It was something I heard once and said WOW this is so different and left nothing to contemplate over. Ye took other genres at complete face value and shoe horned it into rap. Death Grips and RATKING do what he tried more authentically and with more meat. Someone like Danny Brown has actively been pushing hip hop forward in a way that is going to make Ye spin in his eventual grave. The entire Yeezus thing was incredibly shallow.

Was New Slaves on SNL cool? Yeah. Is it a great song? no. Was the projector thing cool? yeah. Did it make Ye cool, in the intended way? no. Are I'm In It and Can't Handle My Liquor good songs? Yeah. They are great songs. That's it.

Fuck Yeezus.
Yeezus is the AOTY.

That said, I find your constant love of RATKING fascinating. I might have to just check out this dude.

Danny Brown himself said that Yeezus will push him to reevaluate his next album/inspire him to reach for more, etc.

filler

Banned
Crooked-i was making much better music before he joined Slauhterhouse. He's fallen off hard since then and I don't even really check for new music from dude anymore.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Can we open a little discussion on why/how Cunninlynguists aren't bigger than they are? I'm not talking in mainstream, but just in rap in general.

They constantly make dope music. Their later work (Oneirology, Still Motion, A Piece of Strange) brings a more solid, refreshing, "mature" perspective into hip hop than pretty much anything out there.

I wasn't a fan of them from the beginning but it seems like they have a small (read: very small) fanbase that doesn't really change or grow from project to project. They've worked with some pretty high profile and respected people on their music (KRIT, Cee Lo, Gibbs), but they never seemed to be featured on any of those artists' bodies of work.

Thoughts?

Too much sadness.

IrishNinja

El-P hate, love for Versace (what a garbage hook), Cudi love...last page or so had it all

Yo thats how I know you're my buddy. Bob Dylan hate. Dude is overrated trash imo

iToabSOdA1nZM.gif

i get the sentiment, but Tombstone Blues rejects your deposit

This track was in a PS2 BMX game that I played when I wasn't even into hip hop and still loved the shit out of the track.

Moment of Truth is one of those tracks that i think oozes classic, personally

Favourite producer - Pharell.

this took gust, i admire that

Redman's the best Wu-Affiliate though, followed by R.A The Rugged Man

yeah, Red is easily # 1, RA's great too but i wonder if Cap or Killarmy/etc would get that status now?

nice, didn't even know it was official now...always been understood tho i think

I think I'm the only person that likes Graduation.

nah, solid album for singles here & there, still more enjoyable than MBDTF

ahahahaha

yeah, i know OP's arent for everyone but that was particularly cold, no wonder we don't see em much anymore

Thoughts?

If they're still QN5 then that could be part of it. QN5 seems respected in hip hop circles but for as long as I can remember Tonedeff has always been rather low key with how he and his artists get promoted. Maybe due to the way he views his early career with performing on Arsenio Hall and then essentially disappearing form the spotlight. He discussed how that stuff affected him in a lot of his earlier music.

Maybe they're just fine with their level of popularity though. Earning enough to get by and just making the music they want to make.

Esch

Banned
Yeezus has no cohesiveness (what do you expect; it's a Kanye album) but as far as the Esch Scale goes it was dope, and it gets points for playing with some different sounds that i like. As far as overarching themes it's straight dildos though. Top ten for me, but this year is mostly shyt so im not surprised. It's basically Ye throwing a bunch of a mixture of other people's poop at a wall and seeing what sticks, but I happen to like the poop art it made.

DominoKid

Thoughts?

they're as big as they should be based on the music they make. The Roots are like the apex of that lane.

Esch

Banned

Thoughts?

It's lonely boy kill yourself backpack rap. On the scale of things that are popular, that's far from the top, even in the lonely boy underground.

Also, worst name in rap. Like top 10 at least.

It's lonely boy kill yourself backpack rap. On the scale of things that are popular, that's far from the top, even in the lonely boy underground.

Also, worst name in rap. Like top 10 at least.

This is huge I think. I know dudes who won't listen to them based on that stupid name alone.

2Chainz is a lot easier to sell than TittyBoi.

Yeah, they need to de-Tity Boi their name too.

lol beaten by a couple minutes.

PBY

Banned
Cunninglynguists could probably do well as "Starbucks" rap, if they toned their stuff down juuuuuust a little, and changed their name.

IrishNinja

finally got around to Jesus Piece...best Game shit since he fell off?

Yeezus has no cohesiveness (what do you expect; it's a Kanye album) but as far as the Esch Scale goes it was dope, and it gets points for playing with some different sounds that i like. As far as overarching themes it's straight dildos though. Top ten for me, but this year is mostly shyt so im not surprised. It's basically Ye throwing a bunch of a mixture of other people's poop at a wall and seeing what sticks, but I happen to like the poop art it made.

while spiritually rejecting all that the Esh Scale stands for, this is a fair statement

I just wanted to bait a response to make sure he didn't forget. I thought I made the troll clear enough.

gaming side is in pre-game hypebeast mode for the new cycle
OT has threads claiming Drake killd Kendrick and runs hip-hop right now
Poe's Law is officially in effect mode and i am not going to give the benefit of the doubt very much this season, even for dudes like yourself that've earned it m'man

Esch

Banned
some of the worst rap names, no order:

X-Raided
Casey Veggies
Cunninglynguists
The Cool Kids (fuckouttahere)
Schoolboy Q
Chinx Drugz
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Whoo Da Kid
Kirko Bangz
Joey Bada$$
Meek Mill
Damu the Fudgemunk
Papoose
The Game
Kidd Kidd
Trick Trick
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

I get the
scusthov.gif
just from thinking about some of these.

Thoughts?

I have no idea, but everyone I introduce them to loves them and so far have became bigger fans than myself.

PBY

Banned
some of the worst rap names, no order:

X-Raided
Casey Veggies
Cunninglynguists
The Cool Kids (fuckouttahere)
Schoolboy Q
Chinx Drugz
Whoo Da Kid
Kirko Bangz
Joey Bada$$
Meek Mill
Damu the Fudgemunk
Papoose
The Game
Kidd Kidd
Trick Trick
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

I get the
scusthov.gif
just from thinking about some of these.

Dead @ Damu the Fudgemunk

Joey Bada$$ takes 3 Ls- 1 for the name, 1 for using dollar signs, and 1 for incorporating all of that shit into his upcoming album title, which maybe the WOAT

IrishNinja

Titty Boi barely ducks that list

ps did the title track of Jesus Piece just sample Persona 4...my man spin-chan knows what im talmbout

gaming side is in pre-game hypebeast mode for the new cycle
OT has threads claiming Drake killd Kendrick and runs hip-hop right now
Poe's Law is officially in effect mode and i am not going to give the benefit of the doubt very much this season, even for dudes like yourself that've earned it m'man

Sorry bruh, we ain't got no government. How am I supposed to troll correctly when there's anarchy in the skreets?

Cut me some slack.

Cudder

If they're still QN5 then that could be part of it. QN5 seems respected in hip hop circles but for as long as I can remember Tonedeff has always been rather low key with how he and his artists get promoted. Maybe due to the way he views his early career with performing on Arsenio Hall and then essentially disappearing form the spotlight. He discussed how that stuff affected him in a lot of his earlier music.

Maybe they're just fine with their level of popularity though. Earning enough to get by and just making the music they want to make.

They did just post this in July so maybe it'll help? It's another indie label so it might just be selling them on to the people who already know about them in the first place. I can't see a label like that having any pull or power into getting them noticed more than they are, but one can hope.

[Announcement] We have officially signed on with Ineffable Music Group (home of Hieroglyphics, Zion I, Los Rakas and more) to provide management, branding and merchandising for CunninLynguists & A Piece of Strange Music! We've known the homies at Ineffable for about 4 years now and it couldn't be a more perfect fit. This will be the first time in our careers we've had official management, so expect us to be doing plenty of special things that we may have never had the time to accomplish before -- creating CL merch outside of tees and CD's, fan appreciation specials, fully functional online store, giveaways, etc. Be sure to "Like" Ineffable Music Group on Facebook, too!

they're as big as they should be based on the music they make. The Roots are like the apex of that lane.

Just reading their bio on their site and maybe you're right, this is the best they can get with the music they make and who makes up the group. It's a shame though because I've never heard anyone really shit on them, because they're dope. Ah well, hyped as fuck for their tape in November and am completely ready for it to take a top 5 spot on my list this year.

CunninLynguists are a hip hop trio from Lexington, Kentucky and Atlanta, Georgia. The group currently consists of Deacon the Villain, Kno, and Natti. The name is a portmanteau of the words cunning and linguist, and is also a play on the word cunnilingus.

There has never been an anomaly in hip-hop quite like the southern trio CunninLynguists. Sampling genres from psych-rock to blues, New Romantic to polka, they have been musically compared to UGK and Atmosphere in the same breath. They have toured and shared stages with Kanye West and Aesop Rock to equal success. They have produced for Lil’ Scrappy as well as KRS-One. They have crafted songs with international soul superstar Cee-Lo Green and politically charged indie-favorite Immortal Technique … on the same album. CunninLynguists have eschewed categories, boxes and labels for 10 years, 5 albums and 4 official mixtapes, all while having what XXL Magazine described as the “Most Hated Name In Rap”.

The result? If you want labels…Southern boom-bap. Too white for BET, too black for MTV2. A preacher’s son, a caucasian guy from rural Georgia and a convicted felon. But mainly … a self-made career, one of the most consistent catalogs of any current hip-hop act and one of the most loyal, worldwide fanbases in all of indie rap music.

Backed with gritty beats, quality rhymes and 808 thump, the ‘Lynguists intend on recapturing the soul in southern hip-hop.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Titty Boi barely ducks that list

ps did the title track of Jesus Piece just sample Persona 4...my man spin-chan knows what im talmbout

Jesus Piece was a totally decent album. I liked it for a couple weeks and Ali Bombaye and Name Me King are still on my playlists.

A lot of rap names are kind of bad when looked at objectively.

Ice Cube is an all time great, but the name is only acceptable because of his resume. Same with Eminem and others.

What are you favorite rap/group names?

PBY

Banned

Ice Cube is an all time great, but the name is only acceptable because of his resume. Same with Eminem and others.

I like the simple shit.

Kendrick Lamar
Kanye West

But if we have to go w nicknames, trap rappers win hands down. Go through the Bricksquad lineup. Gems all over the place.

mooooose

Schoolboy Q is horrible but his name being Q is cool just because he is the only Q in rap.

edit - besides Q-Tip LMFAO yeah its a pretty bad name but w/e

Esch

Banned

GZA/Genius
Dalek
Rakim
DMX
Three 6 Mafia
Blu (reminds me of Old School)
Lord Finesse

another terrible one:

Bone Thugs-n-Harmony. Just fucking terrible.

IrishNinja

i really did think The Game was the corniest name in a minute when i first saw it...like, years of "charge it to the game", "thats how the game be" etc etc and here's a dude like "YALL BEEN TALKIN FOR YEARS, HERE I AM FAM"...the RIP tattoos too, i picutred dude lookin like my jr high trapper keeper

aw fuck naw, this All That track has both weezy and sean? haha almost hurt my finger hitting skip that hard

Talked about OLD today, talked about her ass, she said when she comes home soon we should smoke and she'll drop it low for me.

fam i hope it delivers but my experience with out of state/town talk is that its not worth much till they in the same zip code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom