• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Disliked XXX and Hybrid. Thought both were hipster bullshit with dull beats and a rapper who monotoned his way through 80% filler. Never understand the love, thought everyone was out of their fucking minds for their adoration of what sounded to me like bottom of the barrel efforts with only a handful of good songs.

Just heard Old
It is fucking awesome. Production is unique yet still bangs, Danny is coming with both guns blazing on a full tank, everything is the perfect length and flows from beginning to end beautifully. This is a great fucking album.

Dereck

Hybrid has some dumb fucking choruses, for me the album doesn't pick up until Shootin' Moves. XXX is consistent fire and I'm actually listening to this like twice before spinning Old.

mooooose

Yup. "Colder than my cereal". Listened to Old quite a bit at school today.

Sat and talked to this chick for 4 straight hours later in the night brehs. Good day.
He said codeine in my cereal.

Also it was esch

Also I think it's one of my favorite tracks off the album

HiResDes

Disliked XXX and Hybrid. Thought both were hipster bullshit with dull beats and a rapper who monotoned his way through 80% filler. Never understand the love, thought everyone was out of their fucking minds for their adoration of what sounded to me like bottom of the barrel efforts with only a handful of good songs.

Just heard Old
It is fucking awesome. Production is unique yet still bangs, Danny is coming with both guns blazing on a full tank, everything is the perfect length and flows from beginning to end beautifully. This is a great fucking album.

Old is awesome, but it's definitely more of a "hipster" album if I even have to use that word than both Hybrid and XXX. Hybrid is just a fucking grimey ass Detroit rap album, how the fuck is that hipster?

codhand

hybrid is the least self-aware of his albums, i can guarantee he wasnt listening to arcade fire, and watching needle drop reviews when he made that

i need to find Plaid Palm Trees, I like that slightly more than hybrid

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Old is awesome, but it's definitely more of a "hipster" album if I even have to use that word than both Hybrid and XXX. Hybrid is just a fucking grimey ass Detroit rap album, how the fuck is that hipster?

Because from my perspective in order to like hybrid you'd have to be a hipster who loves shitty music in the hopes it will make you one of very few enjoying it. It's like loving an album of cats fucking mixed with the sound of people with asshole cancer crying their last dying breathe. Nobody wants to actually listen to that but a hipster will in hopes it makes him or her unique.

But we've already established that I have a very different view on hybrid and xxx than most other people...does that make me the asshole cancer loving hipster? dear lawd!

Esch

Banned
The hybrid prett much sounds like a string heavy boom bap album to me. What youre saying makes no sense. Its funny though

Hybrid is pretty typical with a Danny Brown twist. He's treaded the same ground a lot better since then and there's a lot of skippable tracks on there, I still fuck with it though. I get calling it bad but hipster doesn't seem like the right word.

Best rap name: The Diplomats
Worst Rap Name: Juelz Santana, Jim Jones, Freeky Zeeky

There's a group that mixes rap and bluegrass type sounds. It's amazing but they have the worst name. they call the group Gangstagrass. I love their music, but really don't like the name.

The second album shoulda been the title of the group: Rappalachia

Esch

Banned
esch i cant understand why you dont like red 2 go
I havent listened to Old since the leak. Initial impressions breh. I'm waiting on that physical still to really ham it all up.

That's about the only game he's got on lock nowadays...
*Looks at Roc subsidiaries and artists, MCHG sales/airplay*

i6NU4aGGCqmf9.gif

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
some of the worst rap names, no order:

X-Raided
Casey Veggies
Cunninglynguists
The Cool Kids (fuckouttahere)
Schoolboy Q
Chinx Drugz
Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
Whoo Da Kid
Kirko Bangz
Joey Bada$$
Meek Mill
Damu the Fudgemunk
Papoose
The Game
Kidd Kidd
Trick Trick
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien

I get the
scusthov.gif
just from thinking about some of these.

I have to add Mr. Muthafuckin' Exquire to this list. The only rapper I currently love more than him is Danny, but it pisses me off that his name is holding him back so damn much.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
isn't he goin by Mr. MF'n Exquire now?

Should just shorten it to Exquire and be done with it, but it's not like that's any better tho.

mooooose

It's a bad name and he's less marketable than Q but even fatter and uglier, and he makes even less accessible music than Danny, he's too different and weird. He has references like Das Racist but spits like a normal dude and has good word play but makes some really unpolished songs. He's a mess. I like him though. He will never be successful beyond where he is. He's good for linking up with El-P/Mike/Despot though, because they will all make great mentors on how to not be musically successful and afford rent.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
It's a bad name and he's less marketable than Q but even fatter and uglier, and he makes even less accessible music than Danny, he's too different and weird. He has references like Das Racist but spits like a normal dude and has good word play but makes some really unpolished songs. He's a mess. I like him though. He will never be successful beyond where he is. He's good for linking up with El-P/Mike/Despot though, because they will all make great mentors on how to not be musically successful and afford rent.

I can't disagree with any of this. The weird and different is what makes him endearing, I guess.

He reigned it in a bit on Kismet though. That's a strong project.

Esch

Banned
Yeah, Exquire overstays his welcome on some projects. He does the Q thing of too many songs of a certain length.

mooooose

Q, for better or worse, uses his voice in more interesting ways. He doesn't just spit. That's why some cuts where he just rides the beat with adlibs aren't so bad. Songs like Sex Drive which are monotone and hated on, are understandably hated on. I appreciate it all.

Exquire shoots too high for what he's able to achieve right now. He's just not good enough. He should do more features, and good ones.

Rooster12

Just listened to Danny Brown's Old.

Side A - amazing, refreshing

Side B - everything I hate about Hip-Hop today (weird techno sounding party stuff)

Oddisee is quietly killing it when it comes to the producer/rapper combination

edit: my contribution to worst
or greatest?
rap name:

thug%252Bride%252Bcover.jpg

Oddisee is quietly killing it when it comes to the producer/rapper combination

His improvement is so impressive. I thought last year's album was dope, but so far the tracks he's released this year show a leap in flow and lyrics.

Again, there's no fucking excuse for rappers like Raekwon not to have dope beats when guys like Oddisee exist in the underground.

Recon

Banned
How is everyone shitting on Kush Coma?? I just listened to Old for the first time, and when I got to Kush Coma I was expecting garbage based on this thread. That track bangs so fucking hard in the car. Also, Old might be my AOTY. Holy shit I had zero expectations coming in(I wasnt the biggest fan of XXX) but this is on another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom