• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OT9/9/99| African Substitute Teachers Run NY

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

Favourite album - MOTM 1 or 2 .
john-mayer-kanye-west-high-five-gif.gif

Musical Taste:
Pick a coast to rep - East Coast
Favorite Artist - Eminem.....or at least he used to be.
Best feature killer - Freddie Gibbs. I don't even like him like that but Scottie Pippen man.
Favourite producer - Pharell...I own all the NERD albums...yeah
Favourite album - MOTM 1 or 2
What's in your playlist right now? - Everything. I just love music. Also helps to keep oneself from burning out on stuff

GAF-Hop Discusses:
Rank Kanye's albums: CD, Yeezus, 808s, MBDTF, LR, GR (all good tho)
Who is the best Wu-Tang member? Redman
Optional: Raekwon or Ghostface? Ghostface
Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Naw. Except Nastradamus..
Who won? Nas or Nas? Nas
Biggie or Pac? Pac
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? Based God.
How do you feel about Macklemore? Dude straight talks on songs....but hey not gonna hate on a dude getting his.
Best odds on coming out before you die: Dre's Detox, GZA's Liquid Swords 2, or Jay Electronica - whatever? None. The world will end before any of them release. It is law.
That Redman love, welcome

Cheddahz

Banned
Here's the thing I really dislike about Graduation. The song "Barry Bonds" is a really good song, but Lil Wayne has to come in there and ruin it.

I will admit that Flashing Lights is one of my favorite Kanye songs ever and I had the biggest smile when I saw this live video

Musical Taste:
Favorite Artist - Kanye West
Who won? Nas or Nas? Nas
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? Genius

Musical Taste:

Favourite album - MOTM 1 or 2

Is Illmatic > Nas' whole life? Naw. Except Nastradamus..
Who won? Nas or Nas? Nas
Lil B? Is he a genius or mentally challenged? Based God.
You two are beautiful people.

All is right in the world.

Spin, Ghost or Nas? Shoot, now
Man, this question is like the worst shit ever LOL

Nas, probably. Sure, he's had his Ls, but Nas was really my "first" rapper and the stan in me still says that he's on a lyrical level that is unfuckwitable.

Just typing that was hard, sorry Ghost. :(

Every time I try get through Old something gets in the way. Got close to the end of Side A, this is practically my AOTY

Danny Brown blessed by Complex.

i see they've been checking out the P4K cover stories.

Fancy as hell. Danny has led a really interesting life and I'm glad to see him blowing up more and more lately. This line about the head scandal killed me

People get their dicks sucked every day, B. It shouldn’t be a big deal. I just felt embarrassed because I wasn’t all the way hard yet. With a little more time she could have got the full power.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yeah Graduation isn't bad, it's still a great album just chock full of jams, it's just relatively bad compared to the rest of Ye's catalog, mostly because it has the worst song of Ye's career. Hence the Ye cycle; all the albums are dope, just which is the most dope?

Old is the only album that's come out this year that I legitimately understand if someone puts it above Yeezus on their AotY list. Danny came through.

Almost guaranteed Top 5 for me.

OLD, ESGN, Still Motion, The Patriarch, The Night's Gambit, and HARK, all > Yeezus. Possibly Run The Jewels as well.

Yeezus is still top 10 though. For now.

Does GAF-Hop do wrap ups on albums? Maybe in 3 month intervals? That would be a cool thing to have.

I wonder if anyone's doing one for the last 3 months.

Still waiting on an album that I can leave running this year. Thought ESGN might be that aside from the weak opening but now I find myself replaying the same 5 tracks over and over. Same for a lot of albums that I really enjoyed this year

Hopefully OLD has that kind of cohesiveness and longevity with me

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Run The Jewels just got stale so fast. I had it high in my AotY list and the shit just had no staying power. Should've expected it though, from here forward I will make sure never to buy into the hype for either of those dudes because the products/songs come up short or feeling lackluster relative to their abilities on the mic (talking mostly El-P here, Killer Mike pretty much only has mic presence).

Has Ab-Soul done one good feature post Control System?
The Recipe and Swimming Pools

Ab-Soul's problem is that he doesn't really have much to talk about.

His swag/stuntin rap isn't that good at all. He prefers to talk about 3rd eye topics that doesn't transition well on trap sounding beats.

Personally I think he does his own music the best, or when he's on another TDE members track. His features are usually lackluster.

Except Unnecessary. He kilt that shit.

Run The Jewels just got stale so fast. I had it high in my AotY list and the shit just had no staying power. Should've expected it though, from here forward I will make sure never to buy into the hype for either of those dudes because the products/songs come up short or feeling lackluster relative to their abilities on the mic (talking mostly El-P here, Killer Mike pretty much only has mic presence).

Mike was great on most of the tracks and had it been just him I'd put it up there with RAP Music. It felt like El-P made beats for Mike then jumped on them coming across as stilted and a bit awkward. I mean, DDFH was fucking amazing then El-P gets on there talking about satellites and shit killing all the energy. I like El-P but not on this album, at all.

Dereck

This is interesting.

mooooose

El killed the title track, Get It, and Twin Hype. I really liked it all, it's cohesive though a little samey, but at under a half hour how can you complain? The juxtaposition of Mike and El's flows gives the album a good ebb and flow (no pun intended, doubly for Sea legs), the beats go hard, and it all made for one of the best rap concerts I've been to. RtJ was a great album, free, and really felt like a DIY labor of love, which I'm all about. It felt more raw than Yeezus, which was cool but obviously really strategic as fuck, or really anything else in hip hop this year. I'm all about RtJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom